1st Greenbay game Dec 11 coming from Sunny California

markg77

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Did some research and last year around this time (DEC 10-13) you guys has a nasty blizzard, besides that i am dressing super warm as for my wife she'll be like the little brother from a christmas story.

We are flying via southwest and looks like Milwakee is the closest so its a good 2hr drive unless its snowing.

so now we need a hotel, anyone recommend a hotel in greenbay? one other milestone is to introduce my wife to tailgating, shes never been to a single football game and need to show her what shes missing. all my military buds are jealous but hey its an early christmas gift.

thanks ahead of time.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g59929-Green_Bay_Wisconsin-Hotels.html

you may have a hard time getting a room for that game now...unless willing to pay...

You could go to Appleton, or Kewaunee which is about 30 mins away from GB..

Why can't you fly to Green Bay?

Yes Milwaukee is about a 2 hour drive...I live 10 mins from the Milwaukee airport and the free way is literally right from exit of the airport..Actually could be made in about hour and 45 mins from the airport..

But the traffic after a game from GB is just horrible and if you have to drive in it to get back to Milwaukee right away, will be a headache..And if snow, will be even worse..

This past Oct game, I waited till a game was over to leave the stadium, then walked to my car (about 1.5 miles) then got some food and ate it in the car and left 1:10 mins after the game was over, and had to wait in line for 4 blocks just to get to the free way..

but since I had my gps I set it to avoid freeway and with in 20 mins I was on my way home on a smaller freeway...

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Sometimes the weather isnt horrible at that time...

The average for Dec is 29 degrees and average snow is 12 inches for entire month of Dec..

The 5 days b4 you can get a real good idea of how the weather will be..

OP
OP
markg77

markg77

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Id drive but tooooo long of a trip. We use southwest to get our flyer miles used and southwest only can get us as cclose as milwakee. We won't be returning till Monday so no rush after the game just want to soak up the experience

flynsqrl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Went to the Bronco's game early Oct.
Here are some great tips a Packers buddy gave me:

If you can, get up to Green Bay a day earlier and take the Lambeau Tour (it is NOT available on game day!) as well as the Packers Hall of Fame. The Packers' Pro-shop (located at Lambeau) sometimes gets a few Packers' alumni the day before a game to sign autographs, or sign books... so check with them to see who is scheduled. :)

If you can afford it, try to stay at the Best Western on Armed Forces Drive (1/2 a block away from awesome Lambeau) or Hilton Garden Inn (1 1/2 from Lambeau)...that way you can walk to the nearby bars (I really enjoyed Champions..., as I got the inside of my Packers jacket signed by Jerry Kramer!!!). Since the last time I was able to visit Lambeau was 14 years ago, and I don't think I'll be alive 14 years from now... I splurged, and it was well worth it!

Check out Kroll's for their special Chili (with spaghetti noodles) and by all means get to Lambeau early and walk around the stadium a few times!!! Tailgating gatherings are EVERYWHERE!!! Soak it all in...

Of course, I was there when the weather was fantastic... so hoping you get a break in the weather!

Hope that helps...

Oh, don't forget to get on the Packers' season tickets waiting list...
just the annual update of where you are on the 80,000+ list is a great thrill! (I must bleed Green n' Gold!!!) LOL

sped2010

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've lived in Green Bay my entire life but moved to Cudahy a couple months ago, which is literally right next to the airport (General Mitchell, where I am presuming you are flying into). Packer traffic to and from Milwaukee can be absolutely horrific. Plan accordingly. I thought it was bad actually living in GB; I have to plan trips home around games even more frequently now, because so many people travel from Milwaukee for the game. If you do drive from here, I suggest not taking 41. Not only is it a mess, but the exit you would probably take is Lombardi, which is the craziest exit of them all. If you drive from here, take 43. It will take you through De Pere and over the river, where you can get off on Webster and take the back way or take the next exit, where you have a choice of Ashland or Holmgren (both very close to the stadium).

IF you can fly to a different airport I'd recommend flying to Appleton or Green Bay. You can then stay in Appleton (probably easier than trying to find a place in GB right now, unless you've already booked) and drive to GB, and though it will still be crazy because you'll have to take 41, you'll avoid the mess through Oshkosh and an hour and a half of sitting in highway traffic out of Milwaukee.

Try some of the hotels in Green Bay, but if they're booked don't be discouraged if you have to stay in Appleton. Appleton is a nice city and (without Packer traffic) a short drive from GB. For something closer, you could try Ashwaubenon (probably not any better) or De Pere. Kewaunee I've been told doesn't fill as fast either (it's about 20 minutes from GB).

We seem to be having some fairly warm Decembers (relatively speaking, of course) so you may luck out and it won't be super cold. :)

OP
OP
markg77

markg77

Cheesehead
Reaction score
on my way sat morning, was hoping to make it to proshop and catch some signatures but might not make it on time. just dinner somewhere and plan on driving from hotel early to be in greenbay around 11

flynsqrl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Game time was changed to later in the day... so you'll have a few extra hours to explore and amuse yourself! :)
If you get there Sat. evening, with the 2 hours difference and the adrenaline... check out Champions and have a beer or two while socializing with hundreds of Packers fans!

Take tons of pictures, and enjoy the warmth in the cold Wisconsin weather... hahaha

Go Pack Go!!!

Toby kufahl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I honestly think that stadium view bar is better. And trust me when I saw you can'tmiss it they have a giant lombardi trophy out front!

flynsqrl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
True!!!
I honestly think that stadium view bar is better. And trust me when I saw you can'tmiss it they have a giant lombardi trophy out front!

True!!! It is much easier to find...
I am partial to Champions as i watched the Badgers beat Nebraska & the Brewers take down the Diamondbacks the night before the Broncos game at Champions. But the icing on the cake was being fortunate enough to have Jerry Kramer sign the inside of my Packers jacket there and then..., have my picture taken with him while he allowed me to wear his Superbowl II ring!!! Notice the size of that ring my tiny finger/hand! LOL

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

btw, I'm wearing #48 (Ken Ellis from the '72 Packers secondary: Al Matthews, Willie Buchanon, Jim Hill)

Latest posts