1974 ROY does anyone remember Don Woods?

Djepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A Dan Devine 6th in 74 round pick who was released at the end of pre season.
Woods was selected in the 6th Round of the 1974 NFL Draft by the Green Bay Packers. Green Bay released Woods at the end of training camp and he was subsequently picked up by the Chargers early in the 1974 season. He was used almost exclusively as a running back, despite playing quarterback in college (albeit one who ran almost twice as often as passed). The move proved very fruitful for San Diego, as Woods, despite not suiting up until the 3rd week of the season, went on to set a then-NFL-rookie-rushing-record of 1,162 yards in only 12 games, including a then-rookie-record seven 100-yard rushing performances (weeks 3,4,5,7,10,12, and 14). Woods was selected the 1974 NFL Rookie of the Year. His seven rushing touchdowns and 96.8 rushing yards per game remain Chargers franchise rookie records, and his 1,162 rushing and 1,511 yards from scrimmage are second only to the numbers LaDanian Tomlinson put up in 2001.

I seem to remember him having a long td run in preseason. Further proof of the idiocy that was the Dan Devine era..I think the dumbest coach we ever had...

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
Boy, it's not often that something like this creeps up on me (like a bad pair of boxers) ... but, here we are. I don't remember this guy at all. Zero, Zilch, nadda, the "big goose egg".

I was in the middle of my teens, following the Pack religiously through camp and every home game (at Lambeau - home games were split between Lambeau and Milwaukee County Stadium) ... That man's name does not ring ANY bells...not even as a Charger.

Chalk it up to age perhaps ... super computers like my brain need to do frequent memory dumps to maintain storage for all of the new information I pick up here daily. (Yeah, sure...whatever, weedie ol' boy)

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was born that year, I have a built in excuse, but I don't remember him either

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think I remember him. It was said at the time that he had the perfect physique for a RB. Didn't know he had such a good rookie season but I don't think he did much after that.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
1974 ROY does anyone remember Don Woods?
nope. that was during my Packers dark period...70-when they started being on tv again (lynn ****ey years). we'd moved to dallas (in colorado during the 60's they were on almost every week), no Packers coverage in dallas, i was dating/first marriage. those years are a complete blur. lol

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't remember him. Sports coverage wasn't as comprehensive then as it is now, there was no internet, and no sports channels. Plus I live in Indiana, so we didn't get much Packer coverage here (or Charger coverage, for that matter). Sounds like a frustrating situation though.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The draft pick was acquired from Chicago for the rights to Zeke Bratkowsi in 1972.

I didn't know the rest of the story. I'll add this to my Packers Draft history.

Latest posts