18 game schedule...

armand34

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's looking like the owners want it, but the coaches and players are not for it at all...I personally don't want it, it eliminates the opportunity for the best players that haven't been noticed yet get noticed...there are so many Undrafted Free Agents that are now studs or starters that are currently playing...Josh Cribbs, Tony Romo, Tramon Williams, Cullen Jenkins, Ryan Grant, Jeff Saturday, Miles Austin, James Harrison, Jason Peters, or recently retired Kurt Warner...from what I know off the top of my head...

that would essentially be taken away from us Fans and actually make a lot of teams weaker w/ the longer schedule, injuries, and less depth...it also takes away from the excitement of potentially finding a sleeper and breakout candidate, which is something fans love too see, perhaps that guy from the giants Victor Cruz...ROGER GOODELL keeps preaching we want to bring more to the fans, but your taking away from the fans' teams!!! I want my team to be as successful as possible and the preseason is a big part of it...keep the 16 game schedule w/ the 4 preseason game
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

bad93ex

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The NFL is the premiere league and adding games would take away from the excitement that each game brings. There would be far more injuries and more throwaway games like the Colts week 17 games.

Spanish Rose

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The NFL is the premiere league and adding games would take away from the excitement that each game brings. There would be far more injuries and more throwaway games like the Colts week 17 games.
how would addin two more games to the schedule add FAR more injuries.. in all there still would be 20 games including preseason so i dont really see it.. sorry

It's looking like the owners want it, but the coaches and players are not for it at all...I personally don't want it, it eliminates the opportunity for the best players that haven't been noticed yet get noticed...there are so many Undrafted Free Agents that are now studs or starters that are currently playing...Josh Cribbs, Tony Romo, Tramon Williams, Cullen Jenkins, Ryan Grant, Jeff Saturday, Miles Austin, James Harrison, Jason Peters, or recently retired Kurt Warner...from what I know off the top of my head...

that would essentially be taken away from us Fans and actually make a lot of teams weaker w/ the longer schedule, injuries, and less depth...it also takes away from the excitement of potentially finding a sleeper and breakout candidate, which is something fans love too see, perhaps that guy from the giants Victor Cruz...ROGER GOODELL keeps preaching we want to bring more to the fans, but your taking away from the fans' teams!!! I want my team to be as successful as possible and the preseason is a big part of it...keep the 16 game schedule w/ the 4 preseason game
You must be logged in to see this image or video!
how exactly would this take away from a no name player from becoming a star????? please explain

Brakos

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Along with that, the structured 16-game schedule works almost perfectly pertaining to parity (each team plays 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th place teams 4 times each). If it ain't broke...

T

The_Ohioan_Cheesehead

16 games and 4 preseason is good enough. If your going to add 18 games add 1 more bye week for all teams.

OP
OP
armand34

armand34

Cheesehead
Reaction score
how exactly would this take away from a no name player from becoming a star????? please explain

the preseason is for evaluation and prep for the team...Peyton Manning was recently interviewed by Rich Eisen on NFL NETWORK, and he was asked about the 18 game schedule, his response was Jeff Saturday would probably never play in the NFL if there was only 2 preseason games...Saturday needed those extra 3rd & 4th Quarters of preseason ball to impress coaches enough to keep him (him being an undrafted free agent)

Those guys need the reps to show their ability, you take away 2 preseason games, you take away a lot of reps, and my reference to Victor Cruz's performance half 3 TD's in the 2nd half would probably have never happened, b/c the starters would need more prep time to start the season, it gave someone like Cruz a chance to showcase his ability...and you want an example of a star I listed some probowlers, Romo, Saturday, Warner, how bout that guy from the Vikes Randel...and there are many more

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Anyone here have season tickets?

If so do you feel like your getting ripped off by being forced to pay full price?

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There would be some concessions made if the league were to go to an 18 game season. Things like an extra bye week, additional roster spots and a later cut down period, are all being discussed and are all on the table.

I get the argument about the possibility of injuries, but remember the league used to be a 12 game league and has since gone to 16 games. It can work just fine, especially if the 53 man roster is allowed to increase.

I also get the argument about the hidden gems that need the additional playing time to be noticed. One way to get these hidden gems to be noticed would be to have a farm system that runs concurrent with the league season. Another way would be for the league to extend the cut-down period so a longer evaluation can be taken.

From a fan standpoint, I simply want more football that matters. Period, end of story. Pre-season is all well and good, but football is better when the games matter.

If I were a season ticket holder, I wouldn't want to have to pay full price for two games that don't matter when I can get by paying for one.

Simply put, the fans want more football. How awesome would it be for the league to be starting this weekend as opposed to three weeks from now? Good on the league for looking for ways to cater more towards the fans.

G0PackG0

Cheesehead
Reaction score
how would addin two more games to the schedule add FAR more injuries.. in all there still would be 20 games including preseason so i dont really see it.. sorry

You cant try out a player in a reg season game. To much is at stake.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
not a season ticket holder, are you??

Yeah and I feel like its a huge rip off for what you get. I think they should sell them to the general public at 75% or something less. It would give everyone a chance that doesnt have access to fair priced tickets to see the packers even if the games dont count. I feel if they are set on charging for the games they might as well make them meaningful. But I agree that its a bad idea for the game itself to eliminate preseason games.

Powarun

Big Bay Blues fan
Reaction score
18 games seems way too much, one it allows too many inflated numbers for stats. Two its unfair for the players, it doesn't let the new guys stretch their legs and the ones who already got their spot will be worried about getting injured. Next move would be allowing more than 52 players on a team. And three do you really want to see a team suffer, think of the defeated lions, or when Brady was injured. All the negative press, it wouldn't stop for 2 more weeks, instead of everyone guessing and being sure fire that the teams that do good in the preseason get to go to the super bowl. And lastly, 4 preseason games seems fair for its 1/4 a typical season, it allows teams to evaulate their teams.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
After the merger of the AFL and NFL the system was 6 preseason games and 14 regular season games. From 1978 on is what we know today with the 16 game regular season and 4 preseason games. So this isnt the first time changes have been thought about. So the argument that the previous poster made could easily have been the same argument that someone made in 1977.

PackFanatic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tickets

Anyone here have season tickets?

Yes since 1958

If so do you feel like your getting ripped off by being forced to pay full price?

Only for the Pre Season games yes like this year i wanted to go see the colts and manning but i have to work early am friday so no chance. i practically gave them away for less than face value 73.00 each to watch 1/2 of a football game. ah well i could always just turn them in lol NOT!!

PackerFan87

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hmm rookies not getting a chance to show what they have is a good point.
I've always been FOR 2 pre season games and 18 regular games :O

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
preseason sucks.
college does that part right.
first games count.
michigan loses to an appalachian state? they're screwed and should have worked out their kinks in practice. better prep and practice gets rewarded.

i hate preseason games and a better word for them are fake games.

what more could tyrell sutton have done last year to earn a roster spot on this team?
he'd clearly be at least our #3 RB right now, and i think many would say he's better than brandon jackson even.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
since 2005, the colts have more losses in the preseason than the regular season. they mean nothing.

2 years ago, the lions went 4-0 in the preseason and then they were erased and they proceeded to go 0-16. preseason games mean nothing other than injuries.

if it was me, rodgers would play one series this week, and one series next week. at the most.

jkrelt

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Players Union would never go for an 18 game schedule...willingly. Major comprises would have to be made. First, teams would likely be allowed to add more players to their 53 man roster as injuries would increase. Also, I don't think you'd see a salary cap ever again (IMO I'm doubtful that we'll ever see it again as it is).

I understand that owners would like the extra revenue that two extra games would bring to their bottom line; it would be significant. But adding extra games diminishes the level of competition, passion, and intrigue in the NFL. When you decrease these things the season begins to drag and games become less pivotal.

If teams want more money they need to diversify. Hell, has anyone else noticed that you can now book your wedding at Lambeau Field?? Thats what I'm talking about, get creative...

Murgen

MechaPackzilla
Reaction score
You don't see College coaches saying they need fake game to evaluate their talent. Why do the NFL coaches need that? Aren't they supposed to be better football minds anyway?

Just go to an 18 games season with 0 preseason games. First game counts.

Season ending preseason injuries are ridiculous. Like the dude that has a fractured skull...in preseason! Doesn't make sense to me. Preseason to me is the most nerve wracking thing to watch guys get hammered for a game that means nothing. Ochocinco for example.

They should extended the cut down date into the regular season, expand the roster to 60, expand the practice squad to 20-30. Then have a practice squad scrimmage schedule that would allow the scrubs a chance to show their stuff on the field against live opponents. Then any diamonds in the rough could be found.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Players Union would never go for an 18 game schedule...willingly. Major comprises would have to be made. First, teams would likely be allowed to add more players to their 53 man roster as injuries would increase. Also, I don't think you'd see a salary cap ever again (IMO I'm doubtful that we'll ever see it again as it is).

I understand that owners would like the extra revenue that two extra games would bring to their bottom line; it would be significant. But adding extra games diminishes the level of competition, passion, and intrigue in the NFL. When you decrease these things the season begins to drag and games become less pivotal.

If teams want more money they need to diversify. Hell, has anyone else noticed that you can now book your wedding at Lambeau Field?? Thats what I'm talking about, get creative...

I would assume the Players Union would be thrilled for the most past considering preseason is a big part of the ownerships revenue and that its not shared with the players unlike the regular season.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The LEAGUE, the OWNERS.... they are the NFL. They are in control. They can more easily afford a season missed than the players can.
Most owners aren't in business to make money here. They're already filthy rich to get a team.

I love the game more than life itself almost (except injuries really really make my stomach cringe more and more every year), but I am 100% tired of the escalating costs to ME THE FAN. I'm not poor, but still didn't get the Sunday Ticket last year for the first time since 1994 because of how much those rapists can charge, and do charge.

I don't buy anything from NFL.com because most of their stuff is jacked way way way up, 300% higher than it needs to be. Why? Because the players, players union, agents, team, league all need to make their millions. It's ********. Why should we have to pay Jamarcus Russell and Matt Stafford and Sam Bradford a quarter of a billion dollars from our ticket and merchandise purchases? Really? Hot dog and a beer for $20?

So I hope the owners really stick it to the players and start to drive costs down.

Guys that play, like durable Ryno Grant, Rodgers, Woodson, Pickett, etc. I want those guys to make big bucks. But too much, way too much, is wasted on guaranteed rookie contracts. That has to, and WILL get corrected.

The 18-games, I don't care about or need 2 more than current. But get rid of preseason all together. Let practices and team scrimmages be where the young guys prove themselves. Not fake games.

Members online

Latest posts