16-0?

neilfii

Hall of Fame Fan
Reaction score
The more the Packers win the more it's going to create momentum to keep winning. Rather than the Pack getting complacent I think it will motivate them.

That, I think, is the issue. The team that generally wins is the team that "gels" at the right time. To take your starters out to prevent the risk of injury, IMHO, risks the timing of the team's peaking and its opportunity to "gel" at the right time. I also think that there is greater risk of injury when removed from the regular rhythm of playing game after game. Sitting out to prevent injury makes you more tentative when you do get back out there and it is when you are tentative that injuries are more likely to take place.

2411t

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Can they do it? Yes.

Would I sacrifice a shot at 16 and 0 for a Superbowl? Yes.

I think the argument comes when you are getting to the end and you have the 1st seed locked up. Do you sit starters or keep going full force? The Colts are a good example of what could happen if you let off the gas.

Taking the foot off the gas kills your team. Everybody wants to chase greatness. And no matter how many superbowls you win, there's only one 19-0 team. From a strategic standpoint, I would rest ONLY the starters that really need it (eg - Wood and Matthews who seem to wear down as the season goes and have a history of nagging injuries).

PackPackPackers

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If the Packers go 19-0 this year, which I think it is a very small 'if' because this team is pretty damn good, they will be regarded as absolutely legendary. LEGENDARY.

neilfii

Hall of Fame Fan
Reaction score
I already consider them to be legendary and apparently so has the NFL, having chosen to name the trophy awarded to the world champions after our "Legendary" coach. Our storied franchise will always be legendary and not just because they had one really special standout season, but because their tradition is a tradition of winning: a tradition of winning year-after-year. If the 70's and the 80's couldn't destroy that tradition I don't think a "perfect" season will necessarily add that much to the legend.
Don't get me wrong, I would love to see it. I would love to have that record, and I would love to be able to shut the mouths of Dolphin fans everywhere who constantly bring up 1972. I just don't think we need that perfect season to make us what we already are. JMHO.

bhuggins

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I will gladly take another Super Bowl win vs going 16-0.

15-1, 14-2, 13-3, 12-4, 11-5 ....... any of those are fine as long as the Packers are crowned Champions again. 16-0 would place alot of unwanted pressure on the team heading into the post season.

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
I will gladly take another Super Bowl win vs going 16-0.

15-1, 14-2, 13-3, 12-4, 11-5 ....... any of those are fine as long as the Packers are crowned Champions again. 16-0 would place alot of unwanted pressure on the team heading into the post season.
I agree, but it's not like you have to trade one for the other. I'd rather take a perfect season over a Super Bowl alone wouldn't you?
I'm going out on a limb here but I really believe the Packers are SO well coached that there isn't any added pressure at any point. They are the prohibitive favorites and anybody beating them will be an upset right? I can't see this team falling for a "trap" game or having too much pressure to go undefeated. They will play them one at a time like they have been.
I'm certainly no expert on the minds of the Packers players but these guys seem to get it all. I'm anticipating letdowns during games but certainly not expecting a loss though I recognize it could happen. But no question about it, that will be an upset, no team in the NFL will be favored going into a game against the champs.

GBPack2010

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wouldn't mind a 19-0 season but a back to back Superbowl Titles without it is the goal for any franchise. I'm just hoping it doesn't get to them down the stretch solely focusing on a 19-0 season that they overlook a wild card team during the playoffs.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I dont see anyone beating us this season. I see us going 19-0 unless a fluke happens or unless Rodgers gets hurt.

Right now, Aaron Rodgers is playing on a whole different level than any other QB in the league. The dude is a beast of a QB. Hes deadly accurate, can move in the pocket and scramble. He has the best WR corps in the league too (unless he just makes them look that good). Hes the best young QB ive seen in a long looooong time.

And Rodgers will go down as the best QB in Green Bay history when his career is over overtaking Brett and Bart as #1. In fact, I predict he'll go down as a top 3 or 5 QB ever when his career is over. I see MULTIPLE super bowl rings in his future. Hes only 27 and hes far from done winning titles. I see him winning 3 or 4 Super bowls and im not over-exaggerating. Hes that good.

I dunno how much people here will like this comparison - However, ive always said that Rodgers reminds me of a mobile version of Troy Aikman. Aikman was also deadly accurate and he was pure money when it counted the most in the playoffs. I see Rodgers being that same exact way.

Move over Tom, Drew and Peyton, there is a new sheriff in town.

KilrB

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The NFL was wise to put the Bears and the Lions at the end of our schedule this year (for ratings that is).
The only way the Packers dont play to win in those games is if they have the #1 seed locked up by the Bears game. Plenty of football left to play, but i dont see the 49ers keeping pace and the NFC South and East will be fighting all the way just to see who wins the division.

It will be fun to watch this play out and see what M3 decides to do.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
The NFL was wise to put the Bears and the Lions at the end of our schedule this year (for ratings that is).
The only way the Packers dont play to win in those games is if they have the #1 seed locked up by the Bears game. Plenty of football left to play, but i dont see the 49ers keeping pace and the NFC South and East will be fighting all the way just to see who wins the division.

It will be fun to watch this play out and see what M3 decides to do.

Last game of the season is now vs your division opponents...All teams do it that way

I believe they started that last year...

Packerlifer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Can they do it? Yes.

Would I sacrifice a shot at 16 and 0 for a Superbowl? Yes.

I think the argument comes when you are getting to the end and you have the 1st seed locked up. Do you sit starters or keep going full force? The Colts are a good example of what could happen if you let off the gas.

While the Colts threw in the towel on 16-0 in 2009 New Orleans that same season didn't and still lost 3 games late in the schedule. While most predictors of the Packers' first loss have been targeting San Diego, Thanksgiving at Detroit, maybe at the Giants I think the games the Pack will have to be most wary of are going to be against lesser teams: Minnesota, Tampa Bay, at Kansas City.

Of course, 16-0 without a Super Bowl win to cap it is almost meaningless, as New England demonstrated 4 years ago.

thepackers1fan4

Pack attack 4 ever!
Reaction score
The Packers have been rolling this year Aaron Rodgers and the boys have been tearing it up but the Defense is kind of shaky, none the less they are still very capable of winning all of there games.... But there is always room for an upset.
Do you think the Packers can be stopped this season?? if so who will the lose be to?

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
After the Falcons game I am convinced that no team will beat them.
Ever again.
(Ok I kid I kid about that last part. Well, sorta. Half kidding.)

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
OK, these threads are starting to get old and tired. Can we be stopped? Yeah, probably. Will we? Who knows. No further discussion on the subject is really needed at this point. Let's just enjoy the ride.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes they can. Have you seen the motion picture We Are Marshall? If so then that is how.
You want Matthew McConaughey coaching this team?
I can just see it now: "Your name is Finley. Yeah. I associate it with fins. It's something I read about in Redbook. See how that works? I'm getting better at this."
Well, yeah if Matt started coaching we would start losing just as Marshall did.
LOL

Members online

Latest posts