16-0?

cheesehurdler

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought of this too.

The other scenario is the Packers going 19-0 defeating the Jets, who the Colts let in the playoffs and who were the recipient of decision gate which cost us a shot at 16-0. Jets are the ultimate karma team with the Colts right now. They beat us in the playoffs last year and we are responsible for jump starting them. And being that the Jets upset the Colts in SB III a lot of old time Colts fans would not mind seeing the Jets lose the big one in Indy. Yes some carry over from the Baltimore Colts.

And of course the Ravens. The Indy/Baltimore connection.

Really, with the AFC I can think of irony with a lot of them lol.

I've heard that there were a some old-timer Colts fans who didn't like Green Bay much either, mostly because of the 50s and 60s, when both teams faced each other often. Notable Packers-Colts games were the the Packers' near comeback in 1959, the 21-45 Colts blowout in 1961 when Unitas threw 4 touchdowns, the close game in 1962 that almost handed the Packers their first loss, the 42-27 rout in 1965 that ended up being the Paul Hornung Show, and the ugly 14-10 Packers victory that was decided by a late Unitas fumble that clinched the Packers the playoff spot in 1966. Zeke Bratkowski started that game, I believe. I guess you can call the Colts-Packers rivalry the Colts-Patriots rivalry of the 60s, because both teams were very good, and whoever won the Colts-Packers game will go to the playoffs.

LAG

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Winning another title this year would mean much more than finishing with a 16-0 regular season record and losing in the PO's. Ending the season 19-0 would indeed be perfection achieved.

greenandgold

I'm Dirty Hairy Callahan
Reaction score
After watchind Wisconsin fall I just don't really think GB can get through the whole season undefeated. You just cannot expect every bounce of the ball to fall your way every single game.

Doesn't mean they can't repeat another Superbowl win, though.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
It really is nigh unto impossible to go the whole season undefeated. But it's at least fun to speculate. That 72 Dolphins team had the perfect storm of circumstances happen for them. They actually weren't the favorites in the Super Bowl. They just had a lot of things bounce their way that year. If the Packers get some fortuitous circumstances, anything's possible.

packerfan4ever

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the pack can do it. I know we have some tough games head,but I believe after the bye d-line will be much improved,and a-Rod seems to find ways to get the ball to his play makers then you have Mason 58 yarder it will be things like that that can get wins or turn things around for the team,I know Cobb made some costly mistakes,but as time goes on he will get better,if it weren't for the team we have right now I say no but this team oh yea they win it all this year.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
After watchind Wisconsin fall I just don't really think GB can get through the whole season undefeated. You just cannot expect every bounce of the ball to fall your way every single game.

Doesn't mean they can't repeat another Superbowl win, though.
Not every team the Badgers play is a Big 10 team. So they can create for themselves an easy schedule until they play other Big 10 teams.
That last second hail Mary didn't bounce the way for the Badgers.
The Packers have not been in that position and I don't think they will be.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
We had 3 threads all about going undefeated...I wasnt aware until just a few minutes ago..So we now only have 1 thread about the Pack and 16-0 or 19-0

Please people when you see similar threads report them so we can merge them if needed....

I also made this sticky so maybe no one will make a new one

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
We had 3 threads all about going undefeated...I wasnt aware until just a few minutes ago..So we now only have 1 thread about the Pack and 16-0 or 19-0

Please people when you see similar threads report them so we can merge them if needed....

I also made this sticky so maybe no one will make a new one

Thanks LTF! I found the 19-0 thread but I wasn't sure if I should merge them because the other thread had the opposite perspective. I guess it's really the same difference in the end. :)

SanDiegoCheese

West Coast Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think it's a fine line playing for perfection:

On one hand if you have home field throughout the playoffs wrapped up, why risk your starters to injury by playing them?

On the other hand, why rest your starters and risk them being rusty when the actually do play in a meaningful game?

SanDiegoCheese

West Coast Cheesehead
Reaction score
True, but I'd rather have a rusty first half of a playoff game, than (god forbid) a starter go down when the conf. is wrapped up.

Remember Wes Welker going down in week 17 vs. HOU in the first quarter tore both his ACL and MCL. It's a tough call to make playing vs. resting.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
I'd like to offer up something...and I'm not hoping for a loss at anytime...during the season or whatever. I just won't be shattered if they do lose to some AFC team somewhere along the line during the regular season. Here's my thinking...the Pack are already marked men because they are the defending Super Bowl Champions. To throw a second onus on them by inflicting the pressure the media will unleash on them might be more troublesome than it's worth. I'm still remembering how I felt when the Pack lost Super Bowl 32 (think T.J. Lang), I want that darned trophy again ... and if that means sacrificing an undefeated season?? Gimme the shining piece of metal...if the undefeated season goes hand in glove with the Tiffany metal...sure, I'll take it.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd like to offer up something...and I'm not hoping for a loss at anytime...during the season or whatever. I just won't be shattered if they do lose to some AFC team somewhere along the line during the regular season. Here's my thinking...the Pack are already marked men because they are the defending Super Bowl Champions. To throw a second onus on them by inflicting the pressure the media will unleash on them might be more troublesome than it's worth. I'm still remembering how I felt when the Pack lost Super Bowl 32 (think T.J. Lang), I want that darned trophy again ... and if that means sacrificing an undefeated season?? Gimme the shining piece of metal...if the undefeated season goes hand in glove with the Tiffany metal...sure, I'll take it.
Jostens are the makers of the Packers' rings. ;)

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
The only issue is the more you win in a row the more the odds seem to increase that a loss will happen. We will see during the course of the season if the Packers can defy odds. Streaks and records are made to be broken.......
Odds have no bearing on it. The Packers do not have to win 16 games any more. They need to have a 9 game winning streak. After every game they win they start out needing a shorter winning streak. The Packers have just completed a regular season 9 game winning streak. Next week they need to start another. Past history has no bearing on future performance except to show which team performed and more importantly scored better in any given matchup. The odds you referred to are actually pretty good in that the Packers should be the favorite in every game they play yet this season. Also since they have done the streak once quite recently , they should be able to do it again given the same players are available.

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
True, but I'd rather have a rusty first half of a playoff game, than (god forbid) a starter go down when the conf. is wrapped up.

Remember Wes Welker going down in week 17 vs. HOU in the first quarter tore both his ACL and MCL. It's a tough call to make playing vs. resting.

Going into that game, New England was a playoff bound team. There was no need to play their starters, but of course run up stats going into the playoffs.

Would have made sense if they were fighting for the division but they weren't.

I don't think McCarthy is going to rest starters going into week 17, because i am sure the Lions will want to fight it for a wild card spot.

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
Injuries can happen regardless. The Colts rested at the end of 2009 to be healthy for a Super Bowl run. What happens? Our best defensive player Dwight Freeney hurts his ankle badly at the end of the AFCCG. In the divisional round one of our top 2 CBs got hurt as well.

I don't see the Pack resting right now if the perfect season is on the line. I can see your players wanting it too badly and so would your organization. If you are in a position for it then go for it.

Also, McCarthy made an interesting comment after the Packers beat the Colts in preseason about why they went for it with a shot at potential OT. He said something about understanding the concept of going home a little healthier but the vibes he got were that they came there to win.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If the Packers get to 13-0 then go for it. What's more important is to gain home-field advantage throughout the playoffs and have the team peaking at the right time.

The more the Packers win the more it's going to create momentum to keep winning. Rather than the Pack getting complacent I think it will motivate them. Yes, losing can help to expose your weaknesses, but I don't think it's any secret what they are anymore. Packers haven't blown out but a couple of teams. The rest of their games have been pretty tough. I can't see an attitude of "nobody can beat us and we're gonna win every week just because" settling in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts