16-0?

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This seems to be a pretty popular topic on another packer website or two (one with a subscription). From the front office to the players (Peprah, I know, I was surprised it wasnt finley!).

Can they do it?

What would it take?

Do you like the pressure on them?

Rest players?

Can this ruin a team?

I am not a fan of stuff like this, and try to just focus on the next game, but it seems to be a popular topic so I figured we could discuss it here.

robdog

Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can they do it? Yes.

Would I sacrifice a shot at 16 and 0 for a Superbowl? Yes.

I think the argument comes when you are getting to the end and you have the 1st seed locked up. Do you sit starters or keep going full force? The Colts are a good example of what could happen if you let off the gas.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Can they do it? Yes.

I think the argument comes when you are getting to the end and you have the 1st seed locked up. Do you sit starters or keep going full force? The Colts are a good example of what could happen if you let off the gas.

never let off the game. But bench the vets when the game is clinched. No need to risk Rodgers

Incubes12

Bay Harbor Butcher?
Reaction score
Can this ruin a team?
Sure it can, is it likely? I don't think so. The Patriots did it and still only barely lost in the Super Bowl. I don't think it was exhaustion from not resting players that led to their demise in that game, I think it was more that the Giants played an incredible 4th quarter and pulled through in the clutch.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Can they do it? Yes.

Pretty much THIS.

They have as good a chance as anyone, they have the talent, the focus, and the schedule to do it.

The thing with wins, the best stat for wins is turnover differential. We just so happens to have one of if not the best ball security offense in the league, and one of the best if not the best "opportunistic" defense in the league. So we almost always end up in the right side of the turnover battle, which always gets us in a great position to win.

But any single week, we fumble once or twice, a couple of balls gets tipped, and we lose.

Also, like Rob said, there's a chance that we end up 14-0 and already clinched everything. Do we put Rodgers against Suh for a whole game? I don't think so.

They have a chance, but I doubt they do it.

Havners Heroes

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I certainly think they have a shot at it, although I wouldn't say I'm expecting it. Just about every team gets beat, even if it's by a team they're supposed to win against (insert "any given Sunday" cliche.)

That being said, this team so far seems to be incredibly level-headed, and they certainly have the talent to win every game. I think if they're in that position they should and WILL give it a shot. It doesn't seem to be in Mike McCarthy's mentality to lay down. Remember what he said after people asked about if they were running up the score against the Broncos-- "You need to have a 60 minute mentality" or something to that effect.

Plus, can you imagine how awesome it'd be if the Packers became the first ever team to go 19-0? Like yeah, I'd still be freaking out for a 14-2 season with a Super Bowl, but a 19-0 season would make them the greatest team OF ALL TIME. If it gets to be December and they still have a shot at it, I'd LOVE to see them go for it.

realcaliforniacheese

A-Rods Boss
Reaction score
I think this team Has the talent, coaching, chemistry and experience to go 16-0 if we stay healthy. 20 of 22 starters returning. The experience and battle hardening that comes from a Superbowl run the had them playing in 6 win or go home games. 3 against championship caliber teams in their house. An experience that builds team character and a solid locker room (don't even compare the last two Lions comebacks to that test).

A long lockout that allowed the team to rest after a long season. It's a possibility, I'll think alot more about it if we get out of thanksgiving day undefeated.

If we do lockup the top seed before the final game I say the team plays for it's place in a long tradition of Packer teams in NFL history. And I'd like to see those dolphin players choke on their champagne

cheeseheadfanatic87

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't expect the Packers to go 16-0. As much as I hate to say it, YES we will lose. You can't win them all, and the Packers aren't always going to be putting on a show each week. Not buying into it.

Powarun

Big Bay Blues fan
Reaction score
I would love it, but I don't see MM playings all his starters versus Chicago or the Lions the whole game if he doesn't have to and that could lead to our defeat. :( Not trying to be a pessimist just a realist. What do you think Lovie would say if the Bears lost to the Packers with a bunch of back up players?

whoartthou

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Are the packers CAPABLE of doing it? Very much so. Will they do it? Who knows.

As a patriots fan, i would have taken that superbowl in 2007 instead of that undefeated regular season... SB trumps all.

But, if you can have both, why not, right?

What i am more interested in is how many records the packers will break this year (offensive records, if you will)

IluvGB

I <3 Packers!!!!
Reaction score
I have this mentality every season!! LOL... seriously! I guess thats the benefits of ignorance is bliss type thinking!
I read thru the threads, and see all the detailed talk about different players and the team as a whole and its great, I learn alot!, but it never ever changes my thoughts that we can do this! WE WILL DO THIS!
:)

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
A super bowl is worth more than 16-0

I'd much rather go 13-3 and WIN the Super Bowl than 16-0 and blow it like the Patriots did.

The Colts nearly went undefeated in 2009, even if they did they still would have lost the Super Bowl.
New England was 16-0 and lost the Super Bowl
And while it was an entire different game when the Dolphins went undefeated and won the Super Bowl, I doubt they would have went a full 19-0 had they played 16 regular season games. Don't take it the wrong way, I am in no way disrespecting that team, but I really think they would have been 14-2 or 13-3 had they played a full 16 game season back then. They barely won the Super Bowl at that. They would have been bound to lose a game in the regular season.

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes, they can do it. The Lions fan pointed out that our schedule is relatively easy. Our offense should have no problem taking care of these teams. The Lions might throw a monkey wrench into it but I doubt it. I'm not saying it's going to be easy going 16-0, just very very conceivable.

Helmets

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have some eggs if you want to count them. (they haven't hatched yet)

Only four games into the season and you have to go to Ford Field yet- on Thanksgiving. Refresh this thread in December.

Crazy Packers Fan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm more worried about this team getting to 5 and 0 than 16-0 at this point!

Of course, I've thought about it. And I've always thought that teams that go all out at the end of the season are better served than those who sit everyone (last year's a perfect case of that).

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A super bowl is worth more than 16-0

I'd much rather go 13-3 and WIN the Super Bowl than 16-0 and blow it like the Patriots did.

The Colts nearly went undefeated in 2009, even if they did they still would have lost the Super Bowl.
New England was 16-0 and lost the Super Bowl
And while it was an entire different game when the Dolphins went undefeated and won the Super Bowl, I doubt they would have went a full 19-0 had they played 16 regular season games. Don't take it the wrong way, I am in no way disrespecting that team, but I really think they would have been 14-2 or 13-3 had they played a full 16 game season back then. They barely won the Super Bowl at that. They would have been bound to lose a game in the regular season.
I agree.
I would be very disappointed if the Pack blew a perfect season in the post.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good point! The most important game to win is the SB!
Remember when the Patriots went undefeated. The only game they lost was the SB itself.
Yeah.
I don't really care what the record is and I think it's too early to think about 16-0.
Just as long as it's a SB repeat. That's all I want from our Packers.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Im starting to get a feeling we will lose to Atlanta. Has anyone seen our pass defense lately? Not undefeatable like. Whereas I expect it to improve, at this point we are vulnerable to defeat.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Im starting to get a feeling we will lose to Atlanta. Has anyone seen our pass defense lately? Not undefeatable like. Whereas I expect it to improve, at this point we are vulnerable to defeat.
Here's what I don't get where stats are concerned.
The Pack is second to last with Pass D. Right?
But every game they have played, they have won.
Because of the O and the D must be doing some things right. (Stopping the run, getting an INT when it matters etc etc.)
Since we have one of the worst pass Ds then that means that all other teams Pack played has a better pass D and should have stopped Rodgers. They should have made first down catches put up more points with TD throws than the Pack and won.
Like I say, I don't get it....

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This seems to be a pretty popular topic on another packer website or two (one with a subscription). From the front office to the players (Peprah, I know, I was surprised it wasnt finley!).

Can they do it?

What would it take?

Do you like the pressure on them?

Rest players?

Can this ruin a team?

I am not a fan of stuff like this, and try to just focus on the next game, but it seems to be a popular topic so I figured we could discuss it here.
We have 5 difficult road games, including at Atlanta where we lost once last year.
At the Giants, at the Chargers, and at the Lions, where we also lost last year.

I don't think there's anyway we can go 16-0. (< attempt at reverse-jinx)
Remember, we lost to Chad Henne and Don McNabb last year. We're not perfect.

If we're 12-0, meaning we have 2 more perfect quarters like this first 4-0, then I'm on board!

greenandgold

I'm Dirty Hairy Callahan
Reaction score
I would love it, but I don't see MM playings all his starters versus Chicago or the Lions the whole game if he doesn't have to and that could lead to our defeat. :( Not trying to be a pessimist just a realist. What do you think Lovie would say if the Bears lost to the Packers with a bunch of back up players?

We may never know. He played his starters last year the whole game when it was meaningless as they already had the division.

Members online

Latest posts