16-0 at what cost?

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I say we play each game to win it. I say this because I want the Packers to have an attitude of winning. I don't believe a coaching staff should never send the message that winning is not important.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah that's why the Saints won it all in 2009 after resting their whole team, the last week of the regular season and let a team beat them.

I think your Saints analogy coupled with the Colts analogy proves there's no right or wrong formula for winning the Super Bowl. We might as well go for it all.

Besides, we won the Super Bowl last season. This season we have a chance to do something even greater than that. It's time fans get on board or get out.

esponda1

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Green Bay is about history. Someone wins the Super Bowl every year, but no one has gone 19-0. Even back to back Super Bowls has already been done, and the '72 Dolphins went 17-0 (perfect yes, but shorter season). Nothing would be more historic and unique than this and this team has a very real chance of doing it. A player can get hurt on minute 1 of the first game or on the last minute of the last game, don't forget about what they accomplished last year with everyone hurt and just going "next man up". I think they can do it and they should definitely try!

Reaction score
I think the difference is between us and the Patriots of the 16-0 season is we already are the champions so we already met that pressure of winning. The Packers are just going out there and playing. I think Mike McCarthy has got this team ready. He may say all the right things to the press but McCarthy is a low key assassin. He wants to bury every opponent the Packers play.

Eric87

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The 2009 Saints mean nothing. They flat got beat by the Cowboys and the Bucs. You can paint it any way you want, but they were trying to win those games, and failed. If you're trying to rest guys to prevent injuries, the first guy you rest is the franchise QB, and Brees played the entire game in weeks 15 and 16, and the Saints lost. They looked like they were in a death spiral when Payton benched everyone for week 17.

As for the counter-argument that leaving the starters in and playing to win every week will help keep the team hot for the playoffs, I don't care about that either. You can be hot in the playoffs and lose.

You play to win because that's what you're supposed to do, and that's what everyone wants to see. That's what would be the most special, and the most historic, and leave the greatest legacy. That's it.

And I'll go one step further: you play to win because if you don't, you better not show your face in Wisconsin anymore. If the Packers lock everything up next week, and then bench Rodgers and a bunch of other key guys for the last two weeks, then as far as I'm concerned you can fire all the coaches and start over. Ship McCarthy and all his guys out of town because you can't have a wimp for a football coach. Show some appreciation for your frans, show some appreciation for history, and show that you've got some pride and go for 19-0.

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/12/14/aaron-rodgers-indicates-he-knows-mccarthys-plan/

Packers coach Mike McCarthy hasn’t said publicly whether his team will rest players the last few weeks of the season, but the early tea leaves pointto the Packers’ truly going for an undefeated record.

B.J. Raji thinks that’s the way the Packers will approach things. It’s also how Packers safety Charlie Peprah hopes the team attacks their final games.

“It’s definitely something that’s in the back of our minds. Why not shoot for greatness? Why not be legendary?” Peprah asked NFL.com’s Albert Breer.

Sensing himself going off script for a minute, Peprah returned to coachspeak.

“But we’re gonna take this thing one game at a time. As cliché as that sounds, that’s been the formula, and it’s been working for us and we’re gonna continue to do that. But it would be sweet if we went 16-0, can’t lie to you,” Peprah said.

It sounds like Aaron Rodgers already knows how McCarthy plans to approach the final weeks.
“I am anxious to get to Sunday and am excited about the opportunity to wrap things up,” Rodgers told Jason Wilde on his ESPNMilwaukee radio show via ESPN.com. “There is some information that is privileged and some that is for some people’s ears only. So I can’t say that I’m completely oblivious [to] what the potential plans are, but I am excited about the rest of the team figuring them out as well.”

It would stand to reason that Rodgers would only be excited for the rest of the team to find out if the team was truly shooting “for greatness.” Rodgers also indicated players could potentially get pulled early if scores get out of hand, but that’s to be expected.

All signs point towards the Packers making a run at immortality.

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
I say we play each game to win it. I say this because I want the Packers to have an attitude of winning. I don't believe a coaching staff should never send the message that winning is not important.

What McCarthy said after the Packers/Colts preseason game this year:

"I understand the mind-set of kicking the extra point and going home a little healthier, but that's a terrible message to send to your team," coach Mike McCarthy said. "I think just the way our team reacted on the sideline tells you about what we came here to do -- we came here to win games."

LAG

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My 2 cents? I say take the risk and keep the pedal to the metal. Only rest guys when the game is in the bag, sitting on a good lead.

19-0 baby. That would make Coach Lombardi proud.

Go Pack Go!

Members online

Latest posts