16-0 at what cost?

dbain21

Chicagoland Packer Fan
Reaction score
Im all for resting the starters, but not for an entire game. This does nothing when you have a first round bye, and most likely home field throughout. I feel like the ideal situation for the packers would be too hopefully blow out the chiefs and bears like we did the raiders so we can rest some starters towards the end of those games, and play our starters against the lions with the intent on playing the whole game, so you end on a strong note, considering you have a bye week the next week. Obviously at this point I think that players who are feeling banged up should be given some time to heal, but if your healthy you should play no matter what the record.

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
Remember in 2009, the Pats already won the division, and Billechek was stupid enough to play his starters in week 17, and get Wes Welker injured before the playoffs in a meaningless game that didn't matter.Then come play off time, he was without his #1 key weapon in the wild card, before Baltimore put a beating on them.

Pulling the starters don't mean you're giving up. The Saints pulled their starters too. They could have easily beat the Panthers in the final week, but the playoffs was more important. We were 10-6 last year, 6 loses and we proved the playoffs is all that matters.

And before someone brings up the 2009 Colts, they could have easily lost a key starter by not benching their starters at the end of those last 2 games. 14-2 or 16-0 would not have changed the out come of that Super Bowl. They were totally out played in the big game, and I don't think 16-0 would have made a difference at all. Saints were huge under dogs in that game, and when you under estimate those guys, they play 3 times better than they normally do.

That's really what worries me. I've always pulled for under dogs outside the NFC, and I can't help but think back to 1997. We get in the Super Bowl, 14 points over Denver, there is just NO WAY IN HELL we're going to lose, and some how we lose. I've seen some huge under dogs over time come out and play way better than everyone expected. I'd hate to get to the Super Bowl, undefeated and everything get to our heads like the Patriots. I mean, you know New England was due and finally ready for a loss that year. I don't remember anyone in the world cheering for them when they were 16-0.

Welker got hurt in Houston that final week with no contact. He just topppled over. How could the Pats plan for that fluke? In fact I am pretty sure a Colts receiver once did the same there (Anthony Gonzalez). Maybe it's their field since people have complained about it.

The Saints were an excellent team but even I have seen you say before that Peyton blew it. And I love him but he did blow it. The offense did not perform well enough in that SB and carry the banged up D. Favre blew it vs. the Saints too. The Saints just had the ability that year to make HOF QBs blow it........kudos to them. Warner I think got hurt vs. them too.

The Packers CAN rest hurt guys. You don't have to waltz out Jennings next weekend if he can't go. But, healthy guys should play as long as the game is within reach for the other team IMO. You just can't always plan for injuries.

And you don't want to hand a loss to Suh and the Lions do you?

I think you are most afraid of being the heavy favorites at 18-0. It can be scary. But, have faith. You don't have the bad cheating karma like the Pats did surrounding them. And New York has always haunted Boston.

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
I think you actually risk more by resting players especially if you have a first round bye. I say keep the pedal down so when we have the bye the team is still in game shape not too much time out of the loop

Yeah that's why the Saints won it all in 2009 after resting their whole team, the last week of the regular season and let a team beat them.

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
Welker got hurt in Houston that final week with no contact. He just topppled over. How could the Pats plan for that fluke? In fact I am pretty sure a Colts receiver once did the same there (Anthony Gonzalez). Maybe it's their field since people have complained about it.

The Saints were an excellent team but even I have seen you say before that Peyton blew it. And I love him but he did blow it. The offense did not perform well enough in that SB and carry the banged up D. Favre blew it vs. the Saints too. The Saints just had the ability that year to make HOF QBs blow it........kudos to them. Warner I think got hurt vs. them too.

The Packers CAN rest hurt guys. You don't have to waltz out Jennings next weekend if he can't go. But, healthy guys should play as long as the game is within reach for the other team IMO. You just can't always plan for injuries.

And you don't want to hand a loss to Suh and the Lions do you?

I think you are most afraid of being the heavy favorites at 18-0. It can be scary. But, have faith. You don't have the bad cheating karma like the Pats did surrounding them. And New York has always haunted Boston.

I wouldn't care if we lost to the Lions as long as the whole team was healthy entering the playoffs. It really wouldn't bother me. 16-0 and losing in the playoffs, is too much. I don't want to be remembered like New England.

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
Yeah that's why the Saints won it all in 2009 after resting their whole team, the last week of the regular season and let a team beat them.

Whats with the Saints obsession? It's one team. In one year. They are not even a team who usually does a thing in the playoffs but one year.

Whats with the fear Bogart? I don't get it. You are a smart smart
guy. I just don't get you on this topic all year and the fear you have of winning every game. Like you feel the Packers can't win a SB if they go 16-0 almost. It's not like it's one or the other here. You can do it all you know......

Believe.

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
I wouldn't care if we lost to the Lions as long as the whole team was healthy entering the playoffs. It really wouldn't bother me. 16-0 and losing in the playoffs, is too much. I don't want to be remembered like New England.

I get it now. You are scared of being 18-0 in the Super Bowl and losing?

Why worry about that? Why not just get pumped to have a team who CAN win every game?

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
Whats with the Saints obsession? It's one team. In one year. They are not even a team who usually does a thing in the playoffs but one year.

Whats with the fear Bogart? I don't get it. You are a smart smart

guy. I just don't get you on this topic all year and the fear you have of winning every game. Like you feel the Packers can't win a SB if they go 16-0 almost. It's not like it's one or the other here. You can do it all you know......

Believe.

Well the Saints are my example, of benching the starters for a game don't mean you're going to lose.

I can't think of another team that did i. They were pretty banged up at that too. By playoff time, I don't think those 3 losses mattered at all to them cause everyone was 100% healthy. Health is what I worry about.

If the Packers won the Super Bowl at 15-1, I really wouldn't care about that one loss, I'd be happy.

Let's say we do go undefeated.
We make the playoffs missing keys like Jennings.

I don't like the chances of that.

Reaction score
You could get injured mowing the lawn, injuries happen, it's football.

Play 'em and get the Victory... Then the next victory, then the next one, then the next one...
rest during bye week, then Win-Win-Win and we achieve HISTORY!
Think about it... once in a life time opportunity to Achieve HISTORY!

"Hey Alexander The Great, we could lose some people along the way with this whole Conqueroring the world thing, let's quit when we're almost there...."

"Hey Columbus, some of our guys could get sea sick, let's not come across the Americas."

"Hey King, let's not build these pyramids, they're dangerous to build..."

You need to have GUTS! We need to have Guts! :mad:
This is a Chance to do something Legendary!

Bill Walsh/Parcells/Belichick/Lombardi/Chuck Noll have never achieved 19-0.
Karma would betray us if we didn't make the most of this chance (example: colts)

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
You could get injured mowing the lawn, injuries happen, it's football.

I actually slipped down several stairs in my house a few weeks ago after a nap in my socks and my toe still hurts at times.

I should never leave my bed or my room. I should sit still forever in one place. I can't risk anymore foot injuries. I am too young to have this happen to me and I could hurt my chances of having a healthier life as a middle aged woman someday.

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
Well the Saints are my example, of benching the starters for a game don't mean you're going to lose.

I can't think of another team that did i. They were pretty banged up at that too. By playoff time, I don't think those 3 losses mattered at all to them cause everyone was 100% healthy. Health is what I worry about.

If the Packers won the Super Bowl at 15-1, I really wouldn't care about that one loss, I'd be happy.

Let's say we do go undefeated.
We make the playoffs missing keys like Jennings.

I don't like the chances of that.

What if Aaron Rodgers gets nailed in the first quarter of the divisional round and never returns?

What if my aunt had balls?

Marem19

Cheesehead
Reaction score
only reason they rested their starters is cause they already lost a couple times

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
only reason they rested their starters is cause they already lost a couple times

They pulled their starters in the first game they lost. Defensive of course. They went into the game missing 5 guys on defense, Payton pulled them when they still had a shot at winning the game. In the Tampa Bay game, he pulled Pierre Thomas, even though he was their leading rusher going into that game.

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
I'll raise your 2009 Saints to the 2005 Colts for another example.

Go look them up. 13-0 start. Rolled most of the year. Great great passing game. Marvin was still in his prime for Gods sake. Great RB in Edge. Great o line. The D was statistically one of the better Colts Ds in the Manning era.

So, they get some injuries and they lose to the Chargers week 14 at home WITH Peyton in there. Chargers own us so maybe that was the issue.

After that game is was like the season was over. Sorgi became the new QB pretty much. And heck the kid won a game so the Colts ended 14-2. But, thank God they rested Peyton and key players for the SB run!!!!

So what happens? Colts go into the playoffs and get rolled by a Steelers team in the divisional round. Colts offense was flat for a full half. The comeback was too little too late. The D got owned.

The Colts beat the Steelers that regular season. The Steelers in the playoffs had more urgency, more fire and were just less rusty.

Of course I don't think I can convince you Bogart. You are almost set against not resting guys. I hope you won't be upset if the Packers do go 16-0 since the chances are high based on the 3 remaining games.

Marem19

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They pulled their starters in the first game they lost. Defensive of course. They went into the game missing 5 guys on defense, Payton pulled them when they still had a shot at winning the game. In the Tampa Bay game, he pulled Pierre Thomas, even though he was their leading rusher going into that game.

No they didn't they lost their first game like week 2 to atlanta i think

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
No they didn't they lost their first game like week 2 to atlanta i think

Week 2?

The Saints were 13-0 when they lost their first game, and it was to Dallas. They let the Cowboys basically win it by benching their best players on defense in the end.

Reaction score
I understand resting our guys when we're up 31 to nothing in the 2nd half.... Clinch the victory, rest the guys, move on to next week.
But to rest our guys a Whole Game and basically "lay down" when we're in the presence of History? ... :x3: (gerrrh!)

Plus, that wouldn't mean our guys would be safe from injuries, Sean Payton got his leg messed up by just standing on the sidelines during a game. Idk, just my Opinion, I'd like for us to go for it and be remembered as one of the best teams of all time, instead of just another generic no.1 seed that won the big one, I'd like for us to be the only team to have won 'em ALL.... ALL!

maccadon3000

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They can get hurt in practice. Someone could jump for a reception, never be touched, come down wrong and tear an ACL. I am also of the belief that it helps keep that "edge" as long as we have the streak going. I'm sure that the desire to win another Superbowl is pretty great, but it probably pales to the desire to make history.

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
We are losing people. I hope Jennings is okay and Rodgers took a few hits today. If its 15-0 is it worth it going for perfection.

Id rather go for repeat.

The two are not mutually exclusive. I would rather keep the team hot. Injuries happen when you play soft and let yourself get beat up. You play to win EVERY game. It's high time someone finally shuts up the '72 Dolphins and the Packers should be the team to do it.

LionsFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hope your starters are benched week 17. We are probably going to need that win and you owe us for the tampa bay win last year! Its going to be interesting to see if this injury messes with the teams psyche enroute to perfection. Im not so sure the players but the coaches have to be reconsidering things a bit.

If I were you guys though, balls out pedal to the metal would be my stance on the subject.

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
I hope your starters are benched week 17. We are probably going to need that win and you owe us for the tampa bay win last year! Its going to be interesting to see if this injury messes with the teams psyche enroute to perfection. Im not so sure the players but the coaches have to be reconsidering things a bit.

This is what I am talking about. Who cares about the Lions getting a win. The Lions won't go far in the playoffs anyway.

The arguments not to go for it to me are just simply ridiculous at times and make no sense at all. If the Packers pull the same junk in a game or two the Colts did I might be beyond furious. I would rather Reggie Wayne had torn his ACL in the 4th quarter of that Jets week 16 game then see the Colts fold like losers like they did. It was maybe the worst sports experience of my life. I still have yet to go to a Colts home game since it happened.

It means a lot to me to see a team I am a fan of try for it all. Just TRY. Winners try.

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I really don't get these guys who fear perfection. They're the ones who believe in the "Law of Averages" (which is more appropriately known as the Gambler's Fallacy). Averages only matter in games of chance. Football is NOT a game of chance. Aaron Rodgers has thrived his entire life on people telling him he can't do this or that. He has made a career of proving people wrong and he will have done it again after we win the next 6 games. 19-0 has gone from a pipe dream, to a legitimate question, to a possibility and now to a likelihood. That's right, I said it!

Crazy Packers Fan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If you fear injury, then what's the point of even playing the game? An injury can just as easily happen on the 1st play of the playoffs as it can in a meaningless game. If the Packers just sit around and do nothing for 3 weeks, then go into the playoffs completely cold, it's not going to be easy. Last year we had all those guys hurt and had to go all out at the end of the regular season just in order to stay alive. That seemed to turn out all right.

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
We have had this discussion before. I must admit to going back and forth on this. I'm not the biggest fan of resting starters, I think at least from the players perspective that the want to play and who knows better what they are facing then them? But Jennings getting injured makes me question that. I'm not saying we shouldn't of had Jennings in the game, that's ridiculous, I'm just saying, maybe sit him for the second half. We are already locked into the playoffs, I think we are in a position to bench a few starters every week for half a game. Certainly not all of them at once, we don't want anyone to get unconditioned. I would do this not just for the risk of injury, but to give them some much needed rest. As for the record, I kind of think they are just taking it one game at a time and of course going for the win each game. I think they always want to win each game, what is the point of playing at all if you're not playing to win? That puts me back to not wanted to bench any starters though. This kind of decision must weigh heavily with the coach. God forbid somebody gets injured and then he has a bunch of people calling for his head demanding to know why he didn't bench the player so he wouldn't get injured.

I really am not sure about all this. I can see a legit cause for argument for both sides. It makes me feel bad for MM.

Here is another point. Benching starters for even half the game will cause chaos to happen for our fantasy teams. Consider that!

Members online

Latest posts