16-0 at what cost?

L

Lunchboxer

We are losing people. I hope Jennings is okay and Rodgers took a few hits today. If its 15-0 is it worth it going for perfection.

Id rather go for repeat. I would hate to keep losing valuable players.

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
You don't know how bad Jennings is. And be realistic, the next two games could also see the Pack with a big halftime lead and Flynn waltzing out eventually.

I mean you do have to play starters to some degree you know....

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
I tried to say this a while back and it was shot down by "Risking injury in the final weeks is no different than risking injury in week 1" so I'm not even going to try. :rolleyes:

When the score is 31-0, I think the starters should have been benched. We lost Jennings, that's not real good, when the score is far out of reach and the game is basically over.

IluvGB

I <3 Packers!!!!
Reaction score
LB..i have to disagree... no way are we losing,..no way are they going to jeopardize players in the mind frame of going undefeated.
As I said before,..what is wrong with wanting to win every single game INCLUDING the SB???
We don't have to have a loss period to insure a shot at the SB.
It's lights out till the end of the season ....period.

L

Lunchboxer

LB..i have to disagree... no way are we losing,..no way are they going to jeopardize players in the mind frame of going undefeated.
As I said before,..what is wrong with wanting to win every single game INCLUDING the SB???
We don't have to have a loss period to insure a shot at the SB.
It's lights out till the end of the season ....period.

I dont want any important people injured in unnecessary games. 15-0 With 1st Seed locked up and everything is a lock. If we pull out ahead id say pull the starters.

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
The Saints pulled their starters in 2009, and STILL WON THE SUPER BOWL!!!

No difference.

Everyone loves to bring up the 2009 Colts, but the 2009 Saints did the same thing. Most people wouldn't know that, cause they didn't watch them.

Cowboys at Saints, 13-0
The Saints were missing 5 starters going into that game, at the end, Payton benched some of his defensive players, knowing they would probably lose.

Tampa Bay at New Orleans 13-1
They lost this game on Hartley's missed field goal, but also, once again he benched some of his starters, including taking the leading rusher out the game in the 4th quarter.

New Orleans at Carolina 14-2
They benched ALL starters going into this game. The game was meaningless, he wanted them to have an extra week off, with the playoffs, and everything wrapped up, no need risking losing a starter in a meaningless game.

oh I forgot this too, the Panthers was DIVISIONAL. But it didn't matter. Those teams straight up hate each other with a passion, and Payton was more worried about an extra week of rest before the playoffs.

The whole argument of "taking your foot off the gas" I don't know, the Saints did take their foot off the gas, and they still won it all. Brees would be an inch closer to Unitas record had he played in week 17, but it wasn't worth risking the injury of your star quarterback. They were quite banged up at the end of the year, but when they came into the playoffs, that team was 100% healthy.

If you're up 31-0 on a team that's not even trying anymore, you should bench the entire team. I hope Jennings is ok, but I've been saying it for a while, that I don't care about going undefeated, cause I really don't. We could lose 1 or 2 games now and it wouldn't bother me, and it shouldn't as long as REPEAT. That's the goal of this team, a repeat. I want back to back Super Bowl wins.

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
Yeah you don't have to lose to have a better shot to win it all. And you can't just bench everyone for the entire game and put them in bubble wrap.

And you can't just sit all starters for the rest of the year. They can get hurt in any game time or in practice.

Guys.....injuries happen.

Now you hear Dungy on tv talk about resting. Don't listen to him. My God he was the king of one and done after having soft teams resting for weeks.

okcpackerfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
who exactly are we losing? Jennings has a knee sprain, I agree with the person who said earlier you cannot go into a game expecting to sustain injuries. Do not be results oriented, every team suffers injuries throughout a season, if they happen at the end of the season then so be it, we pick up and move on to the next guy. You stick to the plan you have and go for an undefeated year

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
Bogart whats the obsession with the Saints in 2009? That was one of the luckiest teams I ever saw too. Pick 6 and onside kick won them the SB. The Colts blew it more then anything IMO. They choked the game.

Just cause the Saints won the SB after losing 3 straight games does not mean everyone will follow the same pattern.

You Saints also got BEATEN by the Cowboys in 2009. They did not tank it afraid to get hurt did they?

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Im not saying that. Im saying we are losing people. I dont know about jennings injury. But if its 15-0 Id rather pull starts and keep people healthy.

So at what point do you pull the starters? Did you declare victory at the point Jennings got injured? Yeah we all hate to lose valuable starters.

L

Lunchboxer

So at what point do you pull the starters? Did you declare victory at the point Jennings got injured? Yeah we all hate to lose valuable starters.

I'd say at halftime. If we win we win. If we lose no biggie. Got everything locked up. A repeat is more important than undefeated.

2 SBs for Rodgers and Favre can take a back seat.

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
Jennings has a knee sprain they think. MRI tonight. Cross your fingers.

Injuries can happen in week 1, week 7 and week 17. Or in the SB. Or in practice.

The Packers can very well still go 16-0 with costing a thing. You get a lead and you do what you did today at times and throw out Flynn in the third and remove a key guy or two who may be hurting. You can't just sit your entire team for a full game or two and wrap them in persian rugs.

The Chiefs are bad. The Bears have no offense. And the Lions.....who knows but its at home and you don't want to let Suh win.

okcpackerfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Aaron Rodgers just said in his interview "there is risk everytime you take the field...the next guy will step up"

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
I'd say at halftime. If we win we win. If we lose no biggie. Got everything locked up. A repeat is more important than undefeated.

Why does it have to be one or the other?

Why are a few so scared of going 16-0? It's not going to be as tough as some of you think either. Chiefs. Bears. Lions. Win 3, rest two weeks then go win the SB.

It's not rocket science. I will lose respect for the Packers if they tank a game. I don't want to lose respect for this team. I have far too much respect for them right now.

Play healthy guys until the game is out of reach.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Wow isn't it beneficial to have the results in hand when you make that kind of statement. Everything wasn't locked up then nor is it now:rolleyes: Isn't it wonderful to know that SF has lost now but not when Jennings got hurt.

Marem19

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While I am for resting people I think we should play our starters to the end not just for perfection but to keep continuity. We that way they aren't 2 or 3 weeks out of going full power headed into the first playoff game. By the way i said it before (and i know its just the Raiders) the pack D plays a hell of a lot better at home and i can really see them stepping it up in the playoffs with homefield

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
Remember in 2009, the Pats already won the division, and Billechek was stupid enough to play his starters in week 17, and get Wes Welker injured before the playoffs in a meaningless game that didn't matter.Then come play off time, he was without his #1 key weapon in the wild card, before Baltimore put a beating on them.

Pulling the starters don't mean you're giving up. The Saints pulled their starters too. They could have easily beat the Panthers in the final week, but the playoffs was more important. We were 10-6 last year, 6 loses and we proved the playoffs is all that matters.

And before someone brings up the 2009 Colts, they could have easily lost a key starter by not benching their starters at the end of those last 2 games. 14-2 or 16-0 would not have changed the out come of that Super Bowl. They were totally out played in the big game, and I don't think 16-0 would have made a difference at all. Saints were huge under dogs in that game, and when you under estimate those guys, they play 3 times better than they normally do.

That's really what worries me. I've always pulled for under dogs outside the NFC, and I can't help but think back to 1997. We get in the Super Bowl, 14 points over Denver, there is just NO WAY IN HELL we're going to lose, and some how we lose. I've seen some huge under dogs over time come out and play way better than everyone expected. I'd hate to get to the Super Bowl, undefeated and everything get to our heads like the Patriots. I mean, you know New England was due and finally ready for a loss that year. I don't remember anyone in the world cheering for them when they were 16-0.

greenandgold

I'm Dirty Hairy Callahan
Reaction score
I'm not going the we should have pulled the starters sooner route. Injuries like this can happen at any time.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This isn't week 17. There's a helluva lot to be decided. We'll cross the week 17 bridge when it comes.

I'm just amazed that some think Jennings should not have been playing in the third quarter. :rolleyes:

Marem19

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Remember in 2009, the Pats already won the division, and Billechek was stupid enough to play his starters in week 17, and get Wes Welker injured before the playoffs in a meaningless game that didn't matter.Then come play off time, he was without his #1 key weapon in the wild card, before Baltimore put a beating on them.

Pulling the starters don't mean you're giving up. The Saints pulled their starters too. They could have easily beat the Panthers in the final week, but the playoffs was more important. We were 10-6 last year, 6 loses and we proved the playoffs is all that matters.

And before someone brings up the 2009 Colts, they could have easily lost a key starter by not benching their starters at the end of those last 2 games. 14-2 or 16-0 would not have changed the out come of that Super Bowl. They were totally out played in the big game, and I don't think 16-0 would have made a difference at all. Saints were huge under dogs in that game, and when you under estimate those guys, they play 3 times better than they normally do.

That's really what worries me. I've always pulled for under dogs outside the NFC, and I can't help but think back to 1997. We get in the Super Bowl, 14 points over Denver, there is just NO WAY IN HELL we're going to lose, and some how we lose. I've seen some huge under dogs over time come out and play way better than everyone expected. I'd hate to get to the Super Bowl, undefeated and everything get to our heads like the Patriots. I mean, you know New England was due and finally ready for a loss that year. I don't remember anyone in the world cheering for them when they were 16-0.

I think you actually risk more by resting players especially if you have a first round bye. I say keep the pedal down so when we have the bye the team is still in game shape not too much time out of the loop

Members online

Latest posts