14 Players Killed Wearing 1920 Throwback Uniforms

favrefourevre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Green Bay Packers promised today that they will never wear throwback uniforms again from their first year in the league after 14 players were killed, and more than 20 more were injured, during the team’s game on Sunday.

“We will always honor and remember the history of this great franchise,” said Packers general manager Ted Thompson, “but perhaps not wearing helmets and putting our players in minimal, antiquated pads was not the best way to do that. Still, they looked cool out there. At least before the carnage began.”

Two Packers suffered fatal head trauma and one was decapitated on the opening kickoff, a bloody eight seconds that foreshadowed the remainder of the game.

“I wish the team would have at least worn leather helmets back in 1920,” said Packers head trainer Michael Fox. “That would have given me a sort of bucket to scoop up the brain chunks. But, no, I had to get down on my hands and knees and crawl around on the field looking for everything – lobes, gray matter, eyes. It was no fun.”

Packers linebacker AJ Hawk escaped death, but was forced out of the game in the third quarter after suffering a broken pelvis and two dislocated shoulders.

“I don’t know if players were tougher back then or if they were wimps who played a pussified form of football that didn’t require helmets and pads,” said Hawk. “I think it’s the latter and that today’s players are just faster and stronger. But I don’t want to think about it anymore because it hurts due to the four concussions I suffered.”

With 12 players dead at halftime, head coach Mike McCarthy fired up the team with a speech urging them to use the memories of their fallen teammates as motivation for the second half. He also urged them to use their fallen teammates as protection.

“I used chunks of one guy’s skull – I’m not sure who’s, he wasn’t identifiable – to fashion myself a chest plate,” said wide receiver Donald Driver. “And then I made crude shoulder pads out of forearms bones and chunks of hair and skin. Needless to say, I didn’t get hurt at all in the second half. In fact, I might go with the bone, hair and skin shoulder pads again this week.”

Packers quarterback Brett Favre went uninjured in the game, and says he didn’t notice anything different with the throwback uniforms.

“I guess maybe the old-style shoes were a little bit uncomfortable,” said Favre. “But, then, I don’t really feel pain. Pain is for wimps.”

http://sportspickle.com/features/volume6/2007-1003-packers.html

OP
OP
favrefourevre

favrefourevre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I for one thought it was pretty hilarious, hence my posting of it. I regularly check thebrushback.com and sportspickle.com for my weekly dose of sports humor.

Members online

Latest posts