11-5

Philtration

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TOPackerFan said:
Maybe, but they could finish 8-8 and win this division.
I don't think so. Someome will win more than 8 games. I just don't know who yet. The Bears could have and should have beat Washington last week. 2-0 would have been nice right now.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Philtration said:
TOPackerFan said:
Maybe, but they could finish 8-8 and win this division.
I don't think so. Someome will win more than 8 games. I just don't know who yet. The Bears could have and should have beat Washington last week. 2-0 would have been nice right now.

Same can be said about the Packers and their two previous games.

OP
OP
D

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Relax. You were probably among the "fans" that gave up on them last year when they started 1-4.

Be a real fan. You'll enjoy it more when you watch them in Detroit in February.

Packman4Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And how did last years team fair in the playoffs?

This year you can be satisfied with mediocrity, the past few years 1 and done was unacceptable for the Packers talent level.

Obviously that 1 and 4 start did not matter, homefield does not mean a thing to the Packers anymore. Just make the playoffs, the results are the same any way you look at it.

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DePack said:
Relax. You were probably among the "fans" that gave up on them last year when they started 1-4.

I like your optimism DePack, and I was thinking about the 1-4 attitudes last year while I was writing some of my doom and gloom posts.

However, it's difficult to argue that the Packers at best maintained, if not took a step back in terms of personel this offseason. Yeah, Bates is great, and the D should improve, but are guys like Aaron Kampan, Paris Lenon, or Joey Thomas/Ahmad Carroll guys that you would see on a SB starting roster?!? What about Adrian Klemm or Antonio Chapman at wr?!? I'm just not so sure that the players are there because I don't think they have been playing all that poorly...it seems like they're just getting beat.

I hope I'm wrong and you can throw this post back in my face in a few months, though.

rmayer32

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DePack said:

Never gave up on them at 1-4 and won't give up this year until the final game whistles it's conclusion.. Stating a real but grim possiblity is not giving up.. With any luck they can roll off a streak once again but the fact is if a team continually puts itself in major holes, one day they won't be able to crawl out, that's all.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well DePack, at least you are consistent. I wish I could agree with you, but I think this team will have a hard enough time just reaching .500.

Just for the record, I was not among those who gave up on the Packers when they were 1-4 last year. In my mind, that was the year where Sherman needed to prove himself, and I was still willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. He did get the team back into the playoffs, where they were embarrassed at home by the Vikings, and that should've been the end of Sherman's coaching career in Green Bay.

This season is different. Thompson is turning over the roster, Favre is probably on his way out, and team chemistry is worse than it has been since Sherman's arrival. This is what happens when a coach stays too long in one place without improving his team.

Chamuko

Cheesehead
Reaction score
De Pack is extremelly optimistic and Pack 66 is pesimistic, so I will be realistic 8-8, Sherman to be fired by the end of the season, clearly he is not the coach that we need, we need a coach with more character Sherman is a sweet guy, not a real NFL coach, this is it we lost to the BROWNS..

PackerTraxx

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And we lost to them in Lambeau. Sherman does not protect our house. Regular season or playoffs. Bad, very bad.

TOPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
musccy said:
Yeah, Bates is great, and the D should improve, but are guys like Aaron Kampan, Paris Lenon, or Joey Thomas/Ahmad Carroll guys that you would see on a SB starting roster?!? What about Adrian Klemm or Antonio Chapman at wr?!?

Yes they are. Look at NE's roster and I see three or four stars and most of the rest are guys who give great effort like those guys you listed.

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TOPackerFan said:
musccy said:
Yeah, Bates is great, and the D should improve, but are guys like Aaron Kampan, Paris Lenon, or Joey Thomas/Ahmad Carroll guys that you would see on a SB starting roster?!? What about Adrian Klemm or Antonio Chapman at wr?!?

Yes they are. Look at NE's roster and I see three or four stars and most of the rest are guys who give great effort like those guys you listed.

I figured this would come up if I made a statement like that, but then what's the difference...I HATE when ppl say "coaching" because it's so generic, but if you're making the argument that the personel isn't necessarily any different than the Pats, then what's the hang up right now?

jdlax

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not saying I want Sherman fired, but if he were to be I'd be happy with Bates being given a shot at it, and a new OC being brought in.

Philtration

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TOPackerFan said:
All of you people who want Sherman fired name his replacement. I just want to know who you'd replace him with.
Absolutely right. What can you hope to improve by dumping him now? The Patriots had two fine coaches looking to become head coaches and THAT was the time to think of making a change. They were happy with him going into the season and the Packers just gave the guy an extension on his contract. You can blame this guy all day but the truth is that they do not have a good defense and the offense is slipping. I don't hear anyone calling for Bates head after they made Dilfer look like Elway.

OP
OP
D

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bates? The Packers defense has not created a turnover yet this season. Yesterday they had no sacks against the Browns. They are penalized more often than Pack66 calls for Sherman's head.

I think he will turn this thing around but I hardly think he has earned head coach consideration yet.

ORRELSE

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DePack said:
Bates? The Packers defense has not created a turnover yet this season. Yesterday they had no sacks against the Browns. They are penalized more often than Pack66 calls for Sherman's head.

I think he will turn this thing around but I hardly think he has earned head coach consideration yet.

LOL...but he's more intense than Sherman is, so he MUST be better, right?

TOPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DePack said:

Well said. What has Bates done this year really. We're more assignment sure and marginally better tacklers but there still is no pass rush and two of the three game-changing plays yesterday were a missed assignment (Thomas and Collins) and a missed tackle (Roman). These two guys are coached by, I believe, Jim Bates, yet no one is calling for his head.

ORRELSE

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TOPackerFan said:
DePack said:

Well said. What has Bates done this year really. We're more assignment sure and marginally better tacklers but there still is no pass rush and two of the three game-changing plays yesterday were a missed assignment (Thomas and Collins) and a missed tackle (Roman). These two guys are coached by, I believe, Jim Bates, yet no one is calling for his head.

Oh come on. Should Bates really have that much pressure on him in his first year? He has pretty much the same exact players Slowik had last minus Sharper and Hunt and then on top of it a couple 1st or 2nd year guys learning a pro system. All I've seen is improvement. What do you guys want? Give me a break. :roll:
Some of you guys are impossible.

Who do you guys honestly think can come in and turn this team around? I'd like to hear some names just for conversation sake.

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
First...with the Roman missed tackle...if he tackles Heiden, the browns take knees for the rest of the game...at least w/ his TD it gave the Packers a chance.

As for Bates, I don't know about him as H.C...but I do see the improvement. The talent on this team is debatably worse than last year, yet tackling and coverage are at least slightly improved. No pass rush, true, but the guys up front just aren't that good.

Members online

Latest posts