100 greatest players of all time

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I really think that Barry Sanders deserved to be in the top 10 for sure

the top 10 should be Peyton Manning, Don Hutson, Reggie White, **** Butkus, Jim Brown, Joe Montana, Jerry Rice, Walter Payton, Lt, and Unitas in no order.

Which one would you knock out and put Sanders? And you cant do "if he played longer" or "if he had a better (insert quarterback or o line or team)" because its not fair to other players.

gbpack12_2_89

Bleeding Green and Gold
Reaction score
I would knock out Manning and put him right around where sanders is sitting now. I know manning is a good QB but I would still have Sanders in the top 10 over Manning anyday of the week.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Baugh is top 10 and Manning isnt.

You could make a case for favre being top 10. 500 TDs is insane when you compare it to other players. But if it was my list favre wouldnt be in the top 30

gbpack12_2_89

Bleeding Green and Gold
Reaction score
I think Baugh is top 10 and Manning isnt.

You could make a case for favre being top 10. 500 TDs is insane when you compare it to other players. But if it was my list favre wouldnt be in the top 30

Amen to that I prolly wouldnt have Favre in the top 50 I cant stand the guy. Also, I wouldnt have Manning in the top 20. Actully this list should be of either all players that are retired or all players that are playing I dont think you can have active guys that are playing on this list quite yet, but thats just me.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Amen to that I prolly wouldnt have Favre in the top 50 I cant stand the guy. Also, I wouldnt have Manning in the top 20. Actully this list should be of either all players that are retired or all players that are playing I dont think you can have active guys that are playing on this list quite yet, but thats just me.

That doesnt bother me because some players you already know their greatness. Anything favre does at this point isnt going to drop him in anyway. Same with Manning, Brady, Lewis, or Moss. At this point in their career you know at the worst what you would rank them.

Kevin Greene is a big omission I feel. Most sacks as a lb all time is a pretty big feat.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here is someone elses list of 100 greatest players. Not mine. But I respect anyone who takes the time to put together a respectable list

1) Jerry Rice
2) Jim Brown
3) Lawrence Taylor
4) Joe Montana
5) Johnny Unitas
6) Reggie White
7) Emmitt Smith
8) Deacon Jones
9) Don Hutson
10) Bob Lilly
11) **** Butkus
12) Otto Graham
13) Barry Sanders
14) Tom Brady
15) Anthony Munoz
16) Joe Greene
17)Marion Motley
18) Sammy Baugh
19) Brett Favre
20). Steve Young
21) Ray Lewis
22) Walter Payton
23) Gino Marchetti
24) Peyton Manning
25) **** "Night Train" Lane
26) Jack Lambert
27) John Elway
28) Ronnie Lott
29) Dan Marino
30) John Hannah
31) Alan Page
32) Deion Sanders
33) LaDanian Tomlinson
34) Roger Staubach
35) Forrest Gregg
36) Bronco Nagurski
37) Ray Nitschke
38) Marshall Faulk
39) Earl Campbell
40) Marvin Harrison
41) Larry Allen
42) Mel Blount
43) Lance Alworth
44) Bruce Smith
45) Willie Lanier
46) Jim Parker
47) Merlin Olsen
48) Herb Adderley
49) Mike Singletary
50) Terrell Owens
51) Joe Schmidt
52). Rod Woodson
53). Randy Moss
54). Derrick Brooks
55) Bruce Matthews
56). Sid Luckman
57). Eric ****erson
58). Bart Starr
59). Chuck Bednarik
60). Fran Tarkenton
61). Steve Van Buren
62). Jonathan Ogden
63). Ken Houston
64). Randy White
65). Michael Strahan
66). Ted Hendricks
67). Mel Hein
68). Junior Seau
69). Jack Ham
70). Emlen Tunnell
71). Mike Webster
72). Warren Sapp
73). Willie Brown
74). Bobby Layne
75). Terry Bradshaw
76). Derrick Thomas
77). Roosevelt Brown
78). Franco Harris
79). Willie Wood
80). Gene Upshaw
81). Gale Sayers
82). Norm Van Brocklin
83). Tony Gonzalez
84). Bobby Bell
85). Will Shields
86). O.J. Simpson
87). Champ Bailey
88). Mel Renfro
89). Shannon Sharpe
90). Bill George
91). Y.A. Tittle
92). Randall McDaniel
93). Yale Lary
94). Larry Wilson
95). Darrell Green
96). Sam Huff
97). Torry Holt
98). Kellen Winslow
99). Willie Roaf
100). Raymond Berry

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here is ESPNs top 10

1. RB Jim Brown -- Cleveland Browns, 1957-1965
Forty years after his shocking retirement at the peak of his career, and now only seventh on the all-time rushing list, Brown still ranks as the standard against which all other running backs are measured. In only nine seasons, and playing largely with a 12-game schedule, he rushed for 12,312 yards. His 5.2-yard average remains the best among the game's top 20 all-time rushers. An awesome combination of brute force inside the tackles, absolutely punished tacklers, but still could outrun defenders in the secondary.
-- Len Pasquarelli

2. WR Jerry Rice -- 49ers, Raiders, Seahawks, 1985 -- 2004
Everyone knows the numbers that Jerry Rice has put up -- among them NFL records in touchdowns (205), receptions (1,519) and receiving yards (22,466). But what set Rice apart was his work ethic. Rice's work ethic was, and still is at 41, unparalleled and that's a major reason why he's one of the greatest players in the history of the NFL. He not only made big catches in the games that didn't matter, he also made them when the games mattered. -- Sean Salisbury

3. QB Joe Montana -- 49ers, Chiefs, 1979-1994
I've heard it all. I've heard that Joe Montana was the product of a system and that he couldn't have thrived anywhere else. I've heard that Montana wasn't even the best quarterback of his system. My reply to the critics is simple -- look at the rings on his fingers! Montana might not have been the prototypical quarterback, but he found ways to win and was arguably the best fourth-quarter quarterback in the history of the game. If I had to start a team with a proven winner, it would probably start with Montana.
-- Sean Salisbury

4. RB Walter Payton -- Bears, 1975-1987
In 13 seasons, many of them played with a subpar Bears team, the man known as "Sweetness" missed just one start. What he missed even more rarely was any kind of crease through which he could slither. It is difficult to define Payton's style, because he was a rare amalgam of a runner, a guy who could rip through linebackers but also avoid taking the tough hit with subtle and deft cuts. He carried 3,838 times in his career and there were probably only a handful of attempts where he didn't finish the run, or bleed every ounce of yardage possible out of the hole he was provided.
-- Len Pasquarelli

5. LB Lawrence Taylor -- Giants, 1981-1993
He recorded 132.5 career sacks in 13 seasons with the New York Giants - a quaint number by today's standards set by Bruce Smith and Reggie White - but don't let the numbers fool you. Lawrence Taylor revolutionized the art of sacking the quarterback. He was a 6-foot-3, 250-pound outside linebacker with scintillating speed and power. "He is completely reckless," Patriots head coach Bill Belichick once said of his former charge. "I have never seen a player sell out so completely to make a play."
-- Greg Garber

6. QB Johnny Unitas -- Colts, Chargers, 1956-1973
Although not blessed with the strongest arm, Unitas, in his trademark black, high-top cleats, redefined the quarterback position. Long before Joe Montana, he was the master of the two-minute drill, and his performance in the 1958 overtime NFL title game remains legendary. Had a great feel for reading defenses, for when to go up top with the long ball, when to audible out of a play. Remarkably, he no longer rates, according to the NFL system, among the top 20 passers of all-time. But his skills, uncanny accuracy, and unfailing attention to detail supercede statistics, as does his toughness.
-- Len Pasquarelli

7. QB John Elway -- Broncos, 1983-1998
Never in my life have I seen a quarterback consistently carry a team like John Elway could. I'm not talking about carrying a team for a few games or half a season when someone went down. I'm talking about carrying a team with only himself as a viable Super Bowl team three times. That's what Elway did in the 1980's. He didn't have flashy offensive players to go with him and he didn't have great defenses. He simply found ways to win through his great mind and fabulous athleticism.
-- Mark Schlereth

8. LB **** Butkus -- Bears, 1965-1973
**** Butkus epitomized what the National Football League is all about. It's contact. It's hustle. It's intimidation. Nobody did that better than Butkus. His weekly highlights of bone-jarring tackles came at a time when the NFL was just selling itself to a budding television audience. He would line up behind his defensive linemen and chase down and punish anyone carrying the ball. After Ray Lewis ends his career, maybe Lewis will knock Butkus out of the top 10 because he is a better athlete and has healthier knees. No one, though, will take away the memories of a defender who taught generations of fans the right way to play football.
-- John Clayton

9. DL Reggie White -- Eagles, Packers, Panthers, 1985-1998, 2000
Some people forget that he spent the early part of his career with the Memphis franchise of the USFL, or his career sack total, 198, would be significantly higher. His "hump" move, which probably generated more than half his sacks, was the trademark that has now been often copied. For as many sacks as he got as an upfield rusher, he probably got almost as many moving down inside to tackle on third down. A relentless rusher but, especially early in his career, also a force versus the run. Helped to resurrect the Green Bay franchise when he signed with the Packers as a free agent.
-- Len Pasquarelli

10t. QB Sammy Baugh -- Redskins, 1937-1952
So often, the greats of the past are forgotten because their highlights can't be easily seen on TV. Sammy Baugh can't be forgotten. He was a passing quarterback in a running era. His nickname said it all -- "Slinging" Sammy Baugh. Baugh and Otto Graham were the pocket passers of their era. Baugh played 16 seasons. He was among the greatest punters of all-time. He played some defense. But he was known for his throwing. Whether it's Baugh or Graham, those names can't be totally forgotten when new greats enter the Hall of Fame. Baugh was good enough he could have done well in this era. As it stands, he threw for 21,886 yards and 187 touchdowns.
-- John Clayton

10t. DL Deacon Jones -- Rams, Chargers, Redskins, 1961-1974
Hate is a strong word. But Deacon Jones often used it to describe what was stirring in his heart and soul as he attacked the quarterback. He did not dislike the quarterback. No, that was not quite strong enough. After all, this was the man who invented the head slap. On TV all the time now, they talk about "difference makers." Deacon Jones, who put the fear in the Fearsome Foursome, was the first difference maker. He registered 173? sacks in just 14 years. Now, that's making a difference.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No mention of Hutson gives me just another reason to hate ESPN. He didnt even receive any votes for the top 10.

Others receiving votes (points): Anthony Munoz (12), Jack Lambert (10), Dan Marino (9), Jim Parker (8), **** "Night Train" Lane (7), Ray Lewis (7), Mel Blount (6), Barry Sanders (5), Mike Webster (4), Deion Sanders (4), Rod Woodson (4), Ronnie Lott (3), Bart Starr (2), Bob Lilly (2), Emmitt Smith (1), Joe Greene (1)

GreenGoldAngel

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Hendricks played for the Pack for one season in 1974, unfortunately the Packers couldn't keep him and he signed with the Raiders. I was happy to see Davis make the list. I expect that several players from the Lombardi era will be included.

Very good. I had forgotton about "the Stork" untill this list was posted. He had a very good one year.

GreenGoldAngel

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Here is someone elses list of 100 greatest players. Not mine. But I respect anyone who takes the time to put together a respectable list

1) Jerry Rice
2) Jim Brown
3) Lawrence Taylor
4) Joe Montana
5) Johnny Unitas
6) Reggie White
7) Emmitt Smith
8) Deacon Jones
9) Don Hutson
10) Bob Lilly
11) **** Butkus
12) Otto Graham
13) Barry Sanders
14) Tom Brady
15) Anthony Munoz
16) Joe Greene
17)Marion Motley
18) Sammy Baugh
19) Brett Favre
20). Steve Young
21) Ray Lewis
22) Walter Payton
23) Gino Marchetti
24) Peyton Manning
25) **** "Night Train" Lane
26) Jack Lambert
27) John Elway
28) Ronnie Lott
29) Dan Marino
30) John Hannah
31) Alan Page
32) Deion Sanders
33) LaDanian Tomlinson
34) Roger Staubach
35) Forrest Gregg
36) Bronco Nagurski
37) Ray Nitschke
38) Marshall Faulk
39) Earl Campbell
40) Marvin Harrison
41) Larry Allen
42) Mel Blount
43) Lance Alworth
44) Bruce Smith
45) Willie Lanier
46) Jim Parker
47) Merlin Olsen
48) Herb Adderley
49) Mike Singletary
50) Terrell Owens
51) Joe Schmidt
52). Rod Woodson
53). Randy Moss
54). Derrick Brooks
55) Bruce Matthews
56). Sid Luckman
57). Eric ****erson
58). Bart Starr
59). Chuck Bednarik
60). Fran Tarkenton
61). Steve Van Buren
62). Jonathan Ogden
63). Ken Houston
64). Randy White
65). Michael Strahan
66). Ted Hendricks
67). Mel Hein
68). Junior Seau
69). Jack Ham
70). Emlen Tunnell
71). Mike Webster
72). Warren Sapp
73). Willie Brown
74). Bobby Layne
75). Terry Bradshaw
76). Derrick Thomas
77). Roosevelt Brown
78). Franco Harris
79). Willie Wood
80). Gene Upshaw
81). Gale Sayers
82). Norm Van Brocklin
83). Tony Gonzalez
84). Bobby Bell
85). Will Shields
86). O.J. Simpson
87). Champ Bailey
88). Mel Renfro
89). Shannon Sharpe
90). Bill George
91). Y.A. Tittle
92). Randall McDaniel
93). Yale Lary
94). Larry Wilson
95). Darrell Green
96). Sam Huff
97). Torry Holt
98). Kellen Winslow
99). Willie Roaf
100). Raymond Berry

Lol. Player #86 on list....respectable? :emoticon-0181-*****

I wonder where they hide his stuff in Canton...in a closet I hope.

Incubes12

Bay Harbor Butcher?
Reaction score
Lol. Player #86 on list....respectable? :emoticon-0181-*****

I wonder where they hide his stuff in Canton...in a closet I hope.

Haha, he may be societal cast out, but you can't say he wasn't a good football player. Hell, Ray Lewis probably killed someone.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not bad, except the Emmitt Smith is WAY too high. Even though he is the yards leader, he's probably not even one of the top 5 RBs. Played behind a tremendous line that inflated his numbers. Brown, Sayers, Sanders, Payton, and Bo Jackson were all better. But, several had short careers.

I dont know about inflated numbers, remember when he held out?

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Haha, he may be societal cast out, but you can't say he wasn't a good football player. Hell, Ray Lewis probably killed someone.

He didnt kill anyone.

Some witnesses at the scene had given conflicting accounts about what had transpired, and only one -- a professional con artist -- said Lewis was directly involved in the violence.

On June 5, a plea bargain was struck, and murder and aggravated assault charges against Lewis were dropped in exchange for his testimony against his companions. He pled guilty to one count of obstruction of justice and was sentenced to a year of probation.

ESPN Classic - Lewis knows Super Bowl tragedy, triumph

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hope everyone watches that Walter Payton video.. even though it pains me to support a Bear. I figure they loved reggie like we loved Payton so its okay.

maxlives

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I heard some NFL Network pundit say Jerry Rice is, hands down, the best to ever play the game. Ridiculous. Most knowledgable fans would put Jim Brown at the top of that list but how many quarterbacks have led their team to FIVE NFL championships? Just one baby, Bart Starr of the GREEN BAY PACKERS. The best player in the history of the game as far as I'm concerned.

Members online

Latest posts