100 greatest players of all time

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
NFL network is doing a 10 part series where a panel of whose who of football knowledge rank the 100 greatest players of all time. Tonight the first episode airs on the NFL network.

NFL Videos: The Top 100 Greatest Players

How many packers do you think make the list? Should any team have more players on this list than the packers?

Packy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don Hutson, Ray Nitschke, Bart Starr, Reggie White, Johnny Blood, Jim Taylor, Sterling Sharpe, Herb Adderley, Forrest Gregg, Paul HOrnung... I know I missed some...

Murgen

MechaPackzilla
Reaction score
Bears might be the only other team with equal or more than the Packers. Of course since this is probably a bunch of east coast/west coast guys on the panel expect a ton of 49ers, Raiders, Giants and Cowboys. Ugh, Also when I saw Spike Lee as one of the panel members I kind of lost interest. Hate that guy. He sued Spike TV for trademark infrigement. What an Ego and A-hole.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bears might be the only other team with equal or more than the Packers. Of course since this is probably a bunch of east coast/west coast guys on the panel expect a ton of 49ers, Raiders, Giants and Cowboys. Ugh, Also when I saw Spike Lee as one of the panel members I kind of lost interest. Hate that guy. He sued Spike TV for trademark infrigement. What an Ego and A-hole.

I dont believe Spike Lee is a panel member. Each player selected is talked about by 1 person, some famous some not. Spike was picked to talk about Joe Namath, and reguardless of how you feel about spike, he is a great selection bc Spike is NYC. And it means even more coming from a guy you normally associate with praising black athletes and entertainers. They had some reporters daughter talking about growing and watching Fran Tarkenton, so I dont think the person interview is on the panel.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
100. Joe Namath - He is one of the few players I believe does not belong in the HOF. The most overrated player in NFL history in my opinion. I guess I am okay with being at 100, as the Jets fans would flip if no jets were on the list.
99. Michael Strahan - I guess this is about there area he belongs in. Great player though.
98. Lee Roy Selmon - The person that was interviewed for him was Ron Wolf, who said he was better than Reggie White. Not exactly something I agree with, but he was a beast. I cant put him any higher without more team success.
97. Derrick Brooks - Because of playing in the same era as Ray Lewis and without the personality he is here. People will forget how good he really was.
96. Mel Hein - first and only center to be MVP
95. Larry Allen - might be a little high but no one was stronger
94. Lenny Moore - never saw him play
93. Sam Huff - a great player that seems to be forgotten
92. Michael Irvin - too low. Come on, its the playmaker!
91. Fran Tarkenton - no rings but retired with all the records. Seems like the right spot. I could see an argument for him all the way up to the 60s though

Murgen

MechaPackzilla
Reaction score
Ok, I didn't realize they had different people for the panel and the presentation.

Grave

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Fuzzy Thurston, Jerry Kramer, Bob Skoronski, Willie Wood, Ray Nitschke, Henry Jordan, Willie Davis, Ted Hendricks, Clark Hinkle, Johnny Blood, Don Hutson, Cecil Isbell, Sterling Sharpe, Jim Taylor, Paul Hornung, Jim Ringo, Rich Moran, Ron Kramer, Herb Adderly, Bart Starr, Aaron Rodgers, Boyd Dowler, Paul Hornung, Reggie White, Gilbert Brown, and more......

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
90. Kurt Warner
89. Ernie Nevers
88. Ed Reed
87. Crazy legs hirsh
86. Willie Davis
85. Marcus Allen
84. Joe Schmidt
83. Norm Van Brocklin
82. Ted Hendricks
81. Steve Young

Nice to see 2 packers on here. Norm seems a little low and Ed Reed seems a little high.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
90. Kurt Warner
89. Ernie Nevers
88. Ed Reed
87. Crazy legs hirsh
86. Willie Davis
85. Marcus Allen
84. Joe Schmidt
83. Norm Van Brocklin
82. Ted Hendricks
81. Steve Young

Nice to see 2 packers on here. Norm seems a little low and Ed Reed seems a little high.
Which 2? Counting Kurt as a Packer?

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Brett Favre
He's still an active player so he shouldn't be on the list.
Besides, he's thrown the most INTs and he blows it in big games.
IMO he is more of a loser than a winner.
And he puts on the drama queen ******** every year, driving the media crazy.
He does not belong on any "Greatest" lists.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Will be interesting to see if a QB is going to be #1.
You kind of expect it.
But then there are plenty of other players in other positions who have done amazing things.

And will they include The Juice somewhere on the list, criminal past be damned?
And Walter Peyton deserves a spot.
And what about kickers and punters?
Those guys are so underrated.
Would be nice if a couple of them make the list if they haven't already.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
100. Joe Namath - He is one of the few players I believe does not belong in the HOF. The most overrated player in NFL history in my opinion. I guess I am okay with being at 100, as the Jets fans would flip if no jets were on the list.
99. Michael Strahan - I guess this is about there area he belongs in. Great player though.
98. Lee Roy Selmon - The person that was interviewed for him was Ron Wolf, who said he was better than Reggie White. Not exactly something I agree with, but he was a beast. I cant put him any higher without more team success.
97. Derrick Brooks - Because of playing in the same era as Ray Lewis and without the personality he is here. People will forget how good he really was.
96. Mel Hein - first and only center to be MVP
95. Larry Allen - might be a little high but no one was stronger
94. Lenny Moore - never saw him play
93. Sam Huff - a great player that seems to be forgotten
92. Michael Irvin - too low. Come on, its the playmaker!
91. Fran Tarkenton - no rings but retired with all the records. Seems like the right spot. I could see an argument for him all the way up to the 60s though

I know Namath's numbers aren't great, but he had the quickest release of any QB I've seen play, including Marino. His Jets prediction against the Colts is one of the greatest stories in football.

Lenny Moore was very solid for the Colts, and I loved the tape "spats" he wore over his shoes. Very stylish.

Tarkenton is the classic modern day fantasy football player--great numbers, no Championships. And he was universally disliked by his teammates, which says a lot about his character.

Irvin's drug conviction should have landed him in jail in the 90's--not on TV.

Nothing like the Taylor/Huff battles in the 62 Championship game.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Which 2? Counting Kurt as a Packer?

Ted, its a stretch but I figure why not take as much credit as we can. They showed some highlights of him in GB which I had never seen before. Amazing what Steve S hides away at NFL films

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know Namath's numbers aren't great, but he had the quickest release of any QB I've seen play, including Marino. His Jets prediction against the Colts is one of the greatest stories in football.

Lenny Moore was very solid for the Colts, and I loved the tape "spats" he wore over his shoes. Very stylish.

Tarkenton is the classic modern day fantasy football player--great numbers, no Championships. And he was universally disliked by his teammates, which says a lot about his character.

Irvin's drug conviction should have landed him in jail in the 90's--not on TV.

Nothing like the Taylor/Huff battles in the 62 Championship game.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Nice, this is the response I like to see!

I have no idea how Namath got an MVP for that game. It baffles me.

thoughts on the latest list?

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Will be interesting to see if a QB is going to be #1.
You kind of expect it.
But then there are plenty of other players in other positions who have done amazing things.

And will they include The Juice somewhere on the list, criminal past be damned?
And Walter Peyton deserves a spot.
And what about kickers and punters?
Those guys are so underrated.
Would be nice if a couple of them make the list if they haven't already.

I expect Jim Brown to be #1 and Joe Montana or Otto Graham as the #1 QB.
Juice should make it, Walter will be top 15, no kickers by the traditional sense I assume.

TampaPacMan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hendricks played for the Pack for one season in 1974, unfortunately the Packers couldn't keep him and he signed with the Raiders. I was happy to see Davis make the list. I expect that several players from the Lombardi era will be included.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
80. Troy Aikman
79. Emlen Tunnell
78. Bruce Matthews
77. Tony Dorsett
76. Art Shell
75. Darrell Green
74. Marion Montley
73. Ozzie Newsome
72. Jonathan Ogden
71. Paul Warfield

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
70. Marshall Faulk
69. Bobby Bell
68. Mike Webster
67. Kellen Winslow
66. Willie Brown
65. Randy Moss
64. Herb Adderley
63. Jim Otto
62. Randy White
61. Ladainian Tomlinson

turbo69

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am wondering where B. Sanders will end up. Just my opinion, but he has got to be in the top ten. Kind of wish he would have played a little longer. He was just amazing to watch run with the ball, although when I watched him play against the Pack......it was like......"get him......what the Fk are you guys doing out there"? lol

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am wondering where B. Sanders will end up. Just my opinion, but he has got to be in the top ten. Kind of wish he would have played a little longer. He was just amazing to watch run with the ball, although when I watched him play against the Pack......it was like......"get him......what the Fk are you guys doing out there"? lol

the top ten is so tough to rank, I can think of 25 guys that you could argue for in the top 10. Walter Payton, LT, Jim Brown, Hutson, Baugh, Reggie, Sayers, Ray Lewis, Johnny Unitas, Forrest Gregg, Deion Sanders, Elway, Starr, Deacon Jones, Butkus, Rice, Montana, Barry Sanders, Otto Graham, Favre, Lott, Emmitt Smith, Tom Brady, Jack Lambert, and Manning.

I would never put Favre in the top 50 but I can understand someone who makes the argument based on his numbers and longevity.

Do they out Emmitt ahead of Sanders based on the whole career? Its going to be interesting

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Any top 25 list is just made for controversy. There's much more than top 25 guys, you can't rank them from different positions.

Do you rank by importance? If so, the top 10 guys ought to be QBs. If you rank by talent, can someone make an argument that Jim Brown was more talented than Reggie White?

I really don't like this kind of listing. I prefer by position.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts