10 worst Packer FA signings

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It states in the article

Players signed in 2006 weren't considered because their careers in Green Bay have been so brief.

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In the whole history of the Packers they come up with these??
Roman was a low cost starter for 2 years. Roman should not be on the list unless there is a better player in that spot. Manuel was a step down from Roman.

David Martin being signed 2 years ago should be on there.
Kevin Barry last year??

Edit:

Hardy Nickerson should be on that list.

What about Tim Couch.

Better candidates than mine. Each cost more than Ismail.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Looks like the only reason Ismail is on there is because we let him go to early considering what he did the next few years. Those are certainly better numbers than what most the guys we kept over him put up.

OP
OP
B

Bobby Roberts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
David Martin being signed 2 years ago should be on there.
Kevin Barry last year??

It appears that they completely ignored resigning Packer FAs. Otherwise one would have to add Hunt to the list at least.

Roman was an average player signed to an average contract. Manuel is a below average player signed to an above average contract. As pointed out, they aren't considering 2006 FAs, but if they were it's obvious Manuel would make the list.

Of course a better evaluation of FA signing IMO is to compare percentage of hits (good signings) on high cost FAs. TT has done well in this category with hits on Pickett and Woodson. Misses would be Manuel and Klemm. So far the conservative approach to free agency is saving money and giving young guys a chance.

GO PACK GO!!!

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Blackjackking: Good call on Hardy Nickerson. He should not only have been on the list, he should've been #2.

What strikes me about this list is that Joe Johnson is the only big-money disaster the Packers have had in the history of free agency. After that, it's a pretty big drop down to Nickerson, McKenzie, Maas, and Klemm. They contributed very little, but were not top-level free agents.

If you were to make a list of the best free agent signings by the Packers and put it alongside this one, the Packers would probably come out of it looking pretty good. I can think of six very good ones off the top of my head:

1. Reggie White
2. Sean Jones
3. Santana Dotson
4. Eugene Robinson
5. Desmond Howard
6. Don Beebe

After that, it's a sharp drop-off to players like Hannibal Navies, Sean Lendeta, Mike Prior, and Mark Clayton, but overall, the Packers are well into the plus column on free agency.

Here's a link to a list of free agent signings, if you want to see for yourself. I noticed that Hardy Nickerson is not on the list, maybe because he did not sign until August 24th, 2002, when preseason was well underway, so he did not fall into any of the categories listed in the article:

http://www.packers.com/history/record_book/results_and_rosters/nfl_free_agents/

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yared-Yam said:
Yeah I agree. He was a major dissapointment.

How was he a disappointment? Dude was like 50 years old when we signed him.

He was like the William Henderson of the defense

Nickerson was coming off a good season when the Packers signed him. It was reasonable to think he might have one more good season in him. Nobody expected him to hit the wall as hard as he did. He was slow and lacked strength. It was sad to see him play like that.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Greg C. said:
Blackjackking: Good call on Hardy Nickerson. He should not only have been on the list, he should've been #2.

What strikes me about this list is that Joe Johnson is the only big-money disaster the Packers have had in the history of free agency. After that, it's a pretty big drop down to Nickerson, McKenzie, Maas, and Klemm. They contributed very little, but were not top-level free agents.

If you were to make a list of the best free agent signings by the Packers and put it alongside this one, the Packers would probably come out of it looking pretty good. I can think of six very good ones off the top of my head:

1. Reggie White
2. Sean Jones
3. Santana Dotson
4. Eugene Robinson
5. Desmond Howard
6. Don Beebe

After that, it's a sharp drop-off to players like Hannibal Navies, Sean Lendeta, Mike Prior, and Mark Clayton, but overall, the Packers are well into the plus column on free agency.

Here's a link to a list of free agent signings, if you want to see for yourself. I noticed that Hardy Nickerson is not on the list, maybe because he did not sign until August 24th, 2002, when preseason was well underway, so he did not fall into any of the categories listed in the article:

http://www.packers.com/history/record_book/results_and_rosters/nfl_free_agents/

Eugene Robinson was acquired via trade for Matt LaBounty, not a FA.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wouldn't count players signed for one year at a minimum salary, everyone takes those kind of chances. What about Tim Couch.
Couch was cut before he played a REAL down for the Packers.
So i don't think he would count.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C. said:
Eugene Robinson was acquired via trade for Matt LaBounty, not a FA.

Thanks for the correction. I should've looked that one up. Sounds like a VERY good trade, considering that I never heard of Matt LaBounty.

You never heard of "Mutiny on Matt LaBounty???"
(I know......"CHEESEY" joke!!!) :rotflmao:

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C. said:
Yared-Yam said:
Yeah I agree. He was a major dissapointment.

How was he a disappointment? Dude was like 50 years old when we signed him.

He was like the William Henderson of the defense

Nickerson was coming off a good season when the Packers signed him. It was reasonable to think he might have one more good season in him. Nobody expected him to hit the wall as hard as he did. He was slow and lacked strength. It was sad to see him play like that.
To me thats the major problem with FA's. You know what they DID, but don't know for certain what thye really have left. You can end up with these kinds of problems.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can't remember did we get Terry Glenn in a trade or was he a free agent?
You know.....i can't remember either!
He's done pretty good since he left here. I wish we would have held onto him.

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score

Glenn, acquired from New England in a draft choice transaction March 11, 2002, became the Packers' starting flanker and closed out the season as the team's third-ranking receiver with 56 catches for 817 yards and 2 touchdowns.

The Green Bay Packers have agreed to terms with the New England Patriots on acquisition of veteran wide receiver Terry Glenn in a draft choice trade, GM/Head Coach Mike Sherman announced today.

The necessary paperwork, completed late this afternoon, has been forwarded to the National Football League for approval Monday when the trade is expected to become official, Sherman said.

Glenn will be introduced to the Wisconsin sports media at a press conference on Saturday, March 9, scheduled for 1:30 p.m. in the media auditorium of the Packers' administration building.

The 27-year-old Glenn, who will be coming to Green Bay in exchange for an unconditional fourth round selection in the 2002 draft and a conditional, performance-based choice in the 2003 draft, is the fourth-ranking receiver in New England's 42-year league history with 329 career catches.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
PackerGeek said:

I always thought Glenn was miscast in the West Coast Offense, which made me wonder why Sherman the GM acquired him for Sherman the coach, who was unable to use him properly. He is not the kind of receiver who can go over the middle and take huge hits. He was constantly banged up. In Dallas they let him work the edges and go deep, which is what he is good at.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C. said:
PackerGeek said:

I always thought Glenn was miscast in the West Coast Offense, which made me wonder why Sherman the GM acquired him for Sherman the coach, who was unable to use him properly. He is not the kind of receiver who can go over the middle and take huge hits. He was constantly banged up. In Dallas they let him work the edges and go deep, which is what he is good at.
I agree Greg. The guy is VERY talented, but if he's not used for his strengths he will flounder. Like he did here.
I wish the Pack would have played to his strengths.

PWT36

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In 2002, Glynn- caught 56 passes for 817 yards-average per catch 14.6 yards-2 tds. He finished 2nd to Donald Driver who had 70 catches for 1,084 yards- 15.2 yards and 7 TDs. Although Glynn did not live up to his prime years with Patriots, he finished 2nd in receiving yards to Driver with the Packers. I would say he had a decent year with the Packers. Terry Glenn played only one year for the Packers and Packers had 12-4 record in '02.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Glenn to me never seemed to be happy here..Even on the field he had a look on his face like..What am I doing here

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That look on Glenn's face probably had something to do with the fact that he was constantly being sent over the middle to be punished ruthlessly. His game is on the outside, and all he was ever given were slants into the teeth of defenses, hence, a lok of dissatisfaction.

A great example of a player being terribly misused. Not to say he should not go over the middle...of course he should. But his strengths were never played to.

Members online

Latest posts