10 Things to Watch during Preseason(and Scrimmages)

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is my new 'article' but I dont know when Ryan can put it up(hes a party animal) and the scrimmage is tonight, so I am gonna put it in here for now.

10 Things to Watch during Preseason(and Scrimmages)

1. Offensive Line - This one is obvious. The guards will be examined closely with Colledge and Spitz. Chad Clifton appears to not be very healthy and someone (Josh Bourke) will have to step in for him. The offensive line was a big weakness last year, and the Packers would be wise to do anything and everything they can to make sure that doesn’t happen this year. With that said, the coaches like the rookie guards, but nonetheless, keep an eye on the line this preseason.

2. Brett Favre – Favre had a horrible 2005 season. Some of it was the bad line. Some of it was injured WRs. Some of it was a lack of running game. Some of it was Favre though. Favres decision making has been frowned upon at times this training camp, and the hall of famer could be on a serious decline. It is something to look at this preseason.

3. Defensive Backs - Charles Woodson, who many feel was overpaid and overrated, gets to show the fans what he still has. Yes, it is only preseason, but the new coaching regime stresses effort and hard work, and if Woodson is allowed to slack, it tells us a lot about the player, and the coaches.

Ahmad Carroll is supposedly good now. That would be a 180 transformation and I will not believe it till I see it. I hope it is true, but I have heard this lie before.

Hawkins and Underwood have improved, and while they will not start a lot this season, will probably get a lot of preseason time, and having defensive depth is important.

4. Offensive Playcalling – Sherman was criticized by fans for the very unexciting, and sometimes foolish playcalling. He would abandon the run game if it didn’t work out too well early, and would become 1-dimensional. Will McCarthy run the draw on 3rd and 7? I hope not. We will see.

5. AJ Hawk (and other NEW Linebackers) – The #5 overall pick in the draft. We are all waiting to see the young man in action. We might be expecting too much though. He will probably make some rookie mistakes, because he IS a rookie. With that said, if he plays very poorly, THAT should be a cause for concern, but don’t have a cow if he plays only average in preseason.

Also watch new additions Ben Taylor and Abdul Hodge. They should both get some serious time in preseason, and both want to start, at any LB position. They should be playing lights out, and if they aren’t, then something is wrong.

6. Greg Jennings (and other NEW receivers) – Not one Packers fan has heard ONE bad thing about Jennings. He can NOT be that solid, can he? Watch him closely!

Also watch Borererieriegter and Rod Gardner. After Donald Driver, nothing is set. Playing well in preseason WILL get someone a starting job and it is up to them to decide who gets the #2 slot.

7. Defense – Jim Bates is gone. This upsets a lot of people, but your tears aren’t magic tears that will bring him back. We do have Bob Sanders though, who worked with Bates for the last 5 years and runs the same exact scheme. Preseason will show us if they are going to continue to be a solid defensive unit.

8. Kicking Competition – Who will be sent out to kick the first field goal in preseason? Who will kick the 2nd? Will they alternate? Will they kick till they miss? Who will kick better? Who can kick longer? Who will kickoff? This are of special teams should be interesting to watch.

9. Punting Competition – Tired of me talking about special teams? Too bad. The punting was horrible last year, and if you don’t think field position matters, go watch another sport. The winner of the Jon Ryan vs. BJ Sander competition will have a huge impact on our 2006 record.

10. Running Game – Najeh and Ahman are still banged up a bit, so Gado and Herron will get most of the snaps. Gado didn’t do too well in mini camp but has stepped it up once the pads came on. Herron and a wild card kid named “Brownâ€

4thand26

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was trying to determine what NOT to watch from your list. I think that I will not be watching the water boy and the D-Line. Unless of course I lump them in with the defense under #7 - then I will be watching them also.

cyoung

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I shall be watching out for those things and I'm sure the Pack will do good

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, that's almost everything, Trom. There are a couple that I won't be won't be watching real closely, though. Brett Favre, for one. He's been in the league so long that I don't think we're going to learn anything about him in the preseason. My worry about Favre is how he'll do later in the season. He started out okay last year, but then seemed to lose patience. Also, I don't think we will learn much about the playcalling, because it's always vanilla in the preseason.

One addition I could make to the list is the return game. I want us to have a guy back there who can make some moves. Usually you can tell pretty quickly whether or not a player has a knack for returning kicks and punts. I hope Cory Rodgers can handle the kick return duties. I don't want to see Jennings pressed into that role, because he could be an important part of the offense this season, and he will have a lot to learn.

OP
OP
tromadz

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
you wont be watching favre who keeps getting picked off and making bad decisions almost all training camp? I will, cuz I hope he isnt in a major decline. but thats me.

cyoung

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm just interested in to see the Packers in action and to see how they improved

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:
you wont be watching favre who keeps getting picked off and making bad decisions almost all training camp? I will, cuz I hope he isnt in a major decline. but thats me.

He threw five picks on that one day, but before that he hadn't thrown a single interception. I would not characterize that as "making bad decisions almost all training camp." Favre is always up-and-down during training camp, so I really don't think we'll be able to get a read on him until the regular season is underway. Unless, of course, he completely stinks up the joint during training camp, but I doubt that will happen.

4thand26

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am just glad to see some NFL under way. Even if it is GB family nite. After getting my initial dose, I am offically moving into "the preseason is WAY to long" mode.

cyoung

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think The Pack can have a great Preseason and Regular season the way it looked tonight

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts