10 Most Memorable Plays In Packer History (post-Lombardi era)?

gwh11

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What would be the top ten most memorable plays of the post-Lombardi era? Here are ten ideas in chronological order:
1980 Chester Marcol catches own blocked kick, running it in for a TD in OT to beat the Bears
1989 Majkowski to Sharpe to beat the Bears in the "Instant Replay" game
1992 Favre's last-minute TD pass to Kitrick Taylor to beat the Bengals for Holmgren's 1st win
1993 White laterals to Butler on a fumble recovery TD resulting in the 1st Lambeau Leap
1993 Favre's last minute TD pass to Sharpe to beat the Lions in the Wild Card playoff
1996 Desmond Howard's TD return in Super Bowl XXXI
2000 Antonio Freeman's "Immaculate Deflection" TD catch to beat the Vikings in OT
2004 Al Harris' interception return for a TD in OT to beat the Seahawks in the Wild Card playoff
2011 B.J. Raji's interception return for a TD in the NFC Championship vs. the Bears
2011 Nick Collins' interception return for a TD in Super Bowl XLV

What is missing here? What doesn't belong?

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What would be the top ten most memorable plays of the post-Lombardi era? Here are ten ideas in chronological order:
1980 Chester Marcol catches own blocked kick, running it in for a TD in OT to beat the Bears
1989 Majkowski to Sharpe to beat the Bears in the "Instant Replay" game
1992 Favre's last-minute TD pass to Kitrick Taylor to beat the Bengals for Holmgren's 1st win
1993 White laterals to Butler on a fumble recovery TD resulting in the 1st Lambeau Leap
1993 Favre's last minute TD pass to Sharpe to beat the Lions in the Wild Card playoff
1996 Desmond Howard's TD return in Super Bowl XXXI
2000 Antonio Freeman's "Immaculate Deflection" TD catch to beat the Vikings in OT
2004 Al Harris' interception return for a TD in OT to beat the Seahawks in the Wild Card playoff
2011 B.J. Raji's interception return for a TD in the NFC Championship vs. the Bears
2011 Nick Collins' interception return for a TD in Super Bowl XLV

What is missing here? What doesn't belong?
They all fit, great list.

The other plays I can think of, that stand out are:
2010 season, 4th & goal at Atlanta... Rodgers still had never had a clutch win/moment really, and he hits Jordy with a perfect last second pass to tie it with half-minute to go. We still lost the game, but he came up huge and we all knew he had the clutch gene right there.

That was a loss, and not that important of a game. But that moment showed his ballz of steel.

2007 opening game, rookie Mason Crosby hits last-play, 52-yard FG to beat Eagles, and get us on the road to a great season, 13-3.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Favre to Jennings in OT in Denver is one that stands out but not sure if it would make my top 10

Maybe the illegal hit on Jim McMahon?

Good topic

OP
OP
gwh11

gwh11

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Favre to Jennings in OT in Denver is one that stands out but not sure if it would make my top 10

Maybe the illegal hit on Jim McMahon?

Good topic
You've gotta give us your top ten, then.

Powarun

Big Bay Blues fan
Reaction score
Packers vs 49ers Dec. 5th 2010, Rodgers throws a huge pass, and driver avoids 6 tackles for a td.

OP
OP
gwh11

gwh11

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers vs 49ers Dec. 5th 2010, Rodgers throws a huge pass, and driver avoids 6 tackles for a td.
Yes...that one was in the back of my mind. I'll have to watch that one again. Driver's effort on that play was remarkable.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
There were a few memorable plays in Super Bowl XLV and other than Butler's Collins' brilliant INT return for a TD two others come to mind.

1. As we all should remember, the Packers went into halftime with a "comfortable" 21-10 lead. But the third quarter was a disaster. The Packers had four possessions, gained just one first down and punted four times. The Steelers only scored one TD and fortunately missed a 52 FG attempt. So it's 21-17 as the Packers punt for the fourth time in the quarter from their 8-yard line and the Steelers take over at the Packers' 41. Mendenhall runs for 8 yards to the Packers 33 and the third quarter ends. The Steelers have all the momentum and what was a comfortable lead now has most Packers fans on the edge of their seats.

During the quarter change Kevin Greene tells Clay Matthews, "Everybody looks up to Wood (who of course is out of the game) as being the leader. He's gone. Nobody's rallying the troops. It is time. IT IS TIME.'' Before the ball was snapped, Matthews yells "Spill it Pickett. Spill it, spill it!" Pickett goes inside and Clay goes outside and they meet at Mendenhall causing the fumble Bishop picked up. "I read that!'' Matthews yells coming off the field. "I knew it was coming!'' The Packers take over at their 45 and score in 8 plays. 28-17. Whew!

2. That relief didn't last long as on their next possession, the Steelers not only answer the TD in 8 plays but add a two-point conversion: 28-25. The Packers take over with about 7 and-a-half minutes left at their 25 yard line. Rodgers get sacked to the 21, completes a pass to Nelson for 9 yards, and then Colledge false starts and its third and ten at their own 25 with 6 minutes left. Again the Steelers had the momentum. I don't like the Packers' title chances if they would have had to punt the ball back to the Steelers at that point. Rodgers tells the huddle, "We're going to be champions tonight" and calls the play. He proceeds to zip the ball about 30-yards in the air. CB Ike Taylor gets a fingertip on it but it lands in Jennings chest for a 31-yard completion, first down at the Steelers 44-yard line. The Packers drive for a FG and the Steelers start their last possession at their 13-yard line with just under 2 minutes left.

Years from now when you watch Rodgers career highlight DVD you'll see that play. That's a QB showing his leadership skills in the huddle and that throw was as big time and pressure packed on the largest stage as you'll see.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
2 to possibly add. They are memorable, but not in the good sense:

Favres INT to loose to the Giants in the Playoffs
4th and 26

Great memory:

Favre running with his helmet off in SB big smile on his face. In between plays, but memorable none the less.

Best memory is probably the Howards return TD in the SB. Tough to come up with a top ten.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can't remember a particular play but I will submit the 1983 Packers vs Redskins monday night game that ended 48-47. One of the most fun Packer games I ever watched.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There were a few memorable plays in Super Bowl XLV and other than Butler's brilliant INT return for a TD two others come to mind.
Wrong #36, a decade off.

Good call on those 2 other key plays from XLV.... Rodgers had a few passes that even if just one inch to the left or right, would have been incomplete instead of huge plays.
Seemed like destiny was on our side that playoff run starting with David Akers bad game.

slaughter25

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am partial to this play:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/N35PTYbNVSk?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

I was there and I unfortunately ended up in the lap of the older lady sitting next to me in post Td celebration. One moment I will never ever ever forget in my life. I have to say that would be the only addition to the original list I would make.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Another play I thought of that isn't particularly important, but was memorable nonetheless, was when Reggie White threw Cris Carter at Warren Moon: www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBIvU4z0GQ8]YouTube - reggie white
Thanks GWH! I have been looking for that play for a long time. I remembered it as Robert Smith being the human bowling ball. Maybe why it never came up on google. My favorite play by my favorite player.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Bretts TD vs Atlanta at old County Stadium

Yancy Thigpens TD drop to give the Pack divisional title

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
OP
OP
gwh11

gwh11

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There were a few memorable plays in Super Bowl XLV and other than Butler's Collins' brilliant INT return for a TD two others come to mind.

1. As we all should remember, the Packers went into halftime with a "comfortable" 21-10 lead. But the third quarter was a disaster. The Packers had four possessions, gained just one first down and punted four times. The Steelers only scored one TD and fortunately missed a 52 FG attempt. So it's 21-17 as the Packers punt for the fourth time in the quarter from their 8-yard line and the Steelers take over at the Packers' 41. Mendenhall runs for 8 yards to the Packers 33 and the third quarter ends. The Steelers have all the momentum and what was a comfortable lead now has most Packers fans on the edge of their seats.

During the quarter change Kevin Greene tells Clay Matthews, "Everybody looks up to Wood (who of course is out of the game) as being the leader. He's gone. Nobody's rallying the troops. It is time. IT IS TIME.'' Before the ball was snapped, Matthews yells "Spill it Pickett. Spill it, spill it!" Pickett goes inside and Clay goes outside and they meet at Mendenhall causing the fumble Bishop picked up. "I read that!'' Matthews yells coming off the field. "I knew it was coming!'' The Packers take over at their 45 and score in 8 plays. 28-17. Whew!

2. That relief didn't last long as on their next possession, the Steelers not only answer the TD in 8 plays but add a two-point conversion: 28-25. The Packers take over with about 7 and-a-half minutes left at their 25 yard line. Rodgers get sacked to the 21, completes a pass to Nelson for 9 yards, and then Colledge false starts and its third and ten at their own 25 with 6 minutes left. Again the Steelers had the momentum. I don't like the Packers' title chances if they would have had to punt the ball back to the Steelers at that point. Rodgers tells the huddle, "We're going to be champions tonight" and calls the play. He proceeds to zip the ball about 30-yards in the air. CB Ike Taylor gets a fingertip on it but it lands in Jennings chest for a 31-yard completion, first down at the Steelers 44-yard line. The Packers drive for a FG and the Steelers start their last possession at their 13-yard line with just under 2 minutes left.

Years from now when you watch Rodgers career highlight DVD you'll see that play. That's a QB showing his leadership skills in the huddle and that throw was as big time and pressure packed on the largest stage as you'll see.
Number one reminds me of San Francisco's first play in the 1995 NFC Divisional Playoff, when Wayne Simmons forced an Adam Walker fumble that Craig Newsome returned for a TD. That play set the tone for a historically important road playoff win.

OP
OP
gwh11

gwh11

Cheesehead
Reaction score
AGREED!
Thanks.... I remember that play.
REGGIE also tossed KOREY STRINGER, RT, over 320 pounds, like a rag doll once at least...... RIP both of them. Gone too soon.
Does anyone recall exact what game it was that White absolutely manhandled Stringer?

Powarun

Big Bay Blues fan
Reaction score
I was there and I unfortunately ended up in the lap of the older lady sitting next to me in post Td celebration. One moment I will never ever ever forget in my life. I have to say that would be the only addition to the original list I would make.

I was also there and was sitting on the opposite side of the play and was amazed that Driver didn't lateral it or pass it off. It was also a chilly day, but yeah that play is a great definition of wanting the touchdown.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Number one reminds me of San Francisco's first play in the 1995 NFC Divisional Playoff, when Wayne Simmons forced an Adam Walker fumble that Craig Newsome returned for a TD. That play set the tone for a historically important road playoff win.
MAN!!!! You beat me to it. THAT hit was monsterous and set the tone for the Packers' in that game.

There's also the 1993 game where Reggie sacked John Elway on back-to-back sacks to preserve the narrow win:
Chicago Tribune said:
Reggie White brought two sacks to Brett Favre's 24th birthday Sunday night, and kept John Elway from blowing out the candles.

White gift-wrapped Elway on third and fourth downs with 1 minute 56 seconds and 1:27 left in the fourth quarter to preserve the Packers' 30-27 victory over the Broncos and Elway, their incomparable comeback quarterback.
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Elway was about to make Favre pay for his third interception of the second half when White reminded 58,943 fans in Lambeau Field that this was his party, and he was about to earn his four-year, $17 million contract-including $9 million in 1993.

"Now you can get off my back about mymoney," White said. "(President) Clinton's got most of it, anyway."
"I was very, very excited," Favre said. "If you ever questioned Reggie White before tonight, I don't think you'll ever question him again."

White's spectacular back-to-back plays against tackle Russell Freeman pushed Elway from Green Bay's 43 to Denver's 35, some 8 yards on the first sack, 14 on the second, eliminating any chance the Broncos had for a game-tying field goal.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wish it were a memorable "play" but it was a memorable game in that the Packers held the great Barry Sanders to negative rushing yards. It was New Year's Eve 1994 and we won 16-12:

GreenBayPressGazette said:
This was like holding Michael Jordan scoreless in an NBA game.

In the Green Bay Packers’ most impressive defensive performance of the season Saturday, they did the unthinkable. They held Barry Sanders, the NFL’s premier running back, to negative yardage rushing.

He had 13 carries but managed to get past the line of scrimmage on only six of them in the Packers’ 16-12 win over the Lions in a wild-card playoff game at Lambeau Field.

He had minus-one yard rushing on the day, and if his three pass receptions are included, he gained three yards total on the 16 plays he got the ball. The Packers went after him Saturday, and they got him without exception.

“I think I saw something I’ve never seen in my five or six years in the NFL,” Packers safety LeRoy Butler said. “I saw some good (hits) on Barry Sanders. No one ever gets good shots on him.”

Darth Garfunkel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can't argue with your list but one that sticks out for me was the Favre to Rison td pass in the Super Bowl.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts