10 concerns about the 2014 Packers

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
The D line and injuries are the two biggest concerns in my book. I just cannot bring myself to beleive that the smaller faster guys are going to replace the big ol' run stuffers we used to have. I really think we have taken a step back in that aspect and will continue to get pushed around in the run game.

D

Deleted member 6794

I´m most concerned about the ability of the smaller DL with no upgrades at ILB to stop the run.

yooperpackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Iagree with DL and ILB concerns but OL has to be a top 3 concern as well.
Particularly the center position.
Plus Bulaga is way over rated in my opinion.

D

Deleted member 6794

Iagree with DL and ILB concerns but OL has to be a top 3 concern as well.
Particularly the center position.
Plus Bulaga is way over rated in my opinion.

IMO center is the only position of concern on the OL. According to reports Tretter looked really bad in the pass rush drill vs. Raji (who doesn´t have a sack for more than two years) yesterday, hopefully it wasn´t a sign of things to come.

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IMO center is the only position of concern on the OL. According to reports Tretter looked really bad in the pass rush drill vs. Raji (who doesn´t have a sack for more than two years) yesterday, hopefully it wasn´t a sign of things to come.

I agree with this 100%. I think this OLine could be the best we've seen here for quite some time.

I hadn't read that about Tretter and that really makes me nervous.

Ogsponge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am mostly concerned about the OL, with the smaller DL a close second. If Tretter blows and Bulaga is not the player the organization seems to think he is or if he can't stay healthy, things will not be looking good.

The smaller DL is worrisome, I've said before and I will say it over and over again until I see a legitimate change, the Green Bay Packer defense is soft, they have no heart, no will, no nastiness and are constantly being pushed around. Unless the Packer defenders are able to to be their match up with speed/finesse, they fail. Having a smaller DL does not bode well in that department. I am sure I am in the minority but I would love this defense to have a players such as Suh, who is just a freaking *****, to instill some nasty in this defense. They badly need it.

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am mostly concerned about the OL, with the smaller DL a close second. If Tretter blows and Bulaga is not the player the organization seems to think he is or if he can't stay healthy, things will not be looking good.

The smaller DL is worrisome, I've said before and I will say it over and over again until I see a legitimate change, the Green Bay Packer defense is soft, they have no heart, no will, no nastiness and are constantly being pushed around. Unless the Packer defenders are able to to be their match up with speed/finesse, they fail. Having a smaller DL does not bode well in that department. I am sure I am in the minority but I would love this defense to have a players such as Suh, who is just a freaking *****, to instill some nasty in this defense. They badly need it.

Tretter is a legitimate concern I would agree with that but I think there is a contingency plan in place for him. Barclay can play there, Lang can play there I think they'll be fine. As long as Bulaga stays healthy I am not concerned about him.

yooperpackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Tretter is a legitimate concern I would agree with that but I think there is a contingency plan in place for him. Barclay can play there, Lang can play there I think they'll be fine. As long as Bulaga stays healthy I am not concerned about him.
I absolutely do not want to see Lang moved to center.
I do not want to see a musical chairs type situation on the line ever again.

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I absolutely do not want to see Lang moved to center.

Agreed but my point is if Tretter blows I think they have guys who can step in and play is all.

D

Deleted member 6794

Agreed but my point is if Tretter blows I think they have guys who can step in and play is all.

If Tretter can't play I for sure hope Linsley is next on the depth chart as he was played center in college.

D

Deleted member 6794

Mostly agree with your post, don't have any concerns about Bulaga's performance, his injury history is a different story though.

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Tretter can't play I for sure hope Linsley is next on the depth chart as he was played center in college.

Agreed. Haven't heard anything about him though. Is it safe to assume he's #2 on the depth chart as of now?

Ogsponge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agreed. Haven't heard anything about him though. Is it safe to assume he's #2 on the depth chart as of now?

Is he the rookie? If so I thought I read something that he is number 2 on the chart as of now but I can't seem to find that now.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nobody does, but that is football. Almost every team plays the OL shuffle every season. Those big guys get hurt. No way around it except with a lucky nod from the football gods.

Tretter has been beat in all of the one-on-one matchups that I've read about so far. He's making them all look good. This was my concern last season with anointing a kid that only impressed during end-of-the-season practices. We do have contingency plans in place but they are band-aids. This is unfortunately the Wallace/Tolzien position of 2014. All of that said, it's worth cutting Tretter some slack as he's essentially starting his first ever pro training camp and has plenty of time to figure things out. We as fans just always want to see the machine humming at 100% from day one. As long as the car is tip-top by the time they drop the green flag, we're in good shape.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
Nobody does, but that is football. Almost every team plays the OL shuffle every season. Those big guys get hurt. No way around it except with a lucky nod from the football gods.

Tretter has been beat in all of the one-on-one matchups that I've read about so far. He's making them all look good. This was my concern last season with anointing a kid that only impressed during end-of-the-season practices. We do have contingency plans in place but they are band-aids. This is unfortunately the Wallace/Tolzien position of 2014. All of that said, it's worth cutting Tretter some slack as he's essentially starting his first ever pro training camp and has plenty of time to figure things out. We as fans just always want to see the machine humming at 100% from day one. As long as the car is tip-top by the time they drop the green flag, we're in good shape.

IDK man...... you need to step up early, first pro camp or not. The need to establish yourself and not take any **** off of the veterans and make a name for yourself along with showing skillz is priority in camp. I like the way last season that Baktiari was holding up and winning match ups vs cm3...... at least I think I remember reading that ( I am getting old), that is the way to make a name and get noticed, not getting put on your *** by a slack *** BJ raji......

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I only read about Tretter getting beat twice by Raji – that’s not good news but it’s too early to panic IMO. All teams don’t have the musical chairs scenario the Packers have had in years past. Yes, OL get injured but a team with good depth shouldn’t have to shuffle two or three players to replace one. It’s one thing to have to switch players at two positions in-game if they only have 7 OL active for that game, but if the injured player misses more games, IMO a team with good depth should be able to replace him with one player. For example, if Sherrod can play LT, he could be the backup at both tackle spots. Barclay could be the backup at OG and OC in-game, with Linsley available for the next game if Tretter is out multiple games. Also, I really don't want to see Lang play OC - he's too good at OG.

I’m worried about the run defense which mostly involves the front 7 of course. But we should remember after a good start last season, the run D went to hell even with Raji, Pickett, Jolly, and Wilson playing. It’s one thing to sacrifice pressure on the QB with big/huge bodies on the DL, but if you do that AND can’t stop the run, it’s time to change things up. So at least they aren’t doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

… the Green Bay Packer defense is soft, they have no heart, no will, no nastiness and are constantly being pushed around.
Haven’t you heard? The Packers defense got a heart transplant: His name is Mike Daniels. Also, Datone got yelled at and replaced yesterday for being “nasty” to Bostick (hey, it's a start).

Ogsponge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Haven’t you heard? The Packers defense got a heart transplant: His name is Mike Daniels. Also, Datone got yelled at and replaced yesterday for being “nasty” to Bostick (hey, it's a start).

I did like what Daniels had to say and i hope to hear more stories of the defense being "nasty" during training camp. You would think some of these players who have been around a while now would be sick of hearing constantly that the Packers are failing to produce because the defense sucks.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
I did like what Daniels had to say and i hope to hear more stories of the defense being "nasty" during training camp. You would think some of these players who have been around a while now would be sick of hearing constantly that the Packers are failing to produce because the defense sucks.

I agree 100% !!!! I am not saying that we need guys to go out there and consistantly get us 15 yd penalties..... but we need at least 3 guys that strike fear into opposing players..... heavy hitters, some guys who actually fight back, guys who aint afraid to crack some heads. I used to get yelled at during games by my high school coach for being down right mean, but after the game he would always tell me to keep it up, and good job..... talk about confusing a kid lol. I would defend my team like they were family, anyone hits us dirty, you were gunna get it back 100% worse..... get in my guys face, I slapped ya up side the helmet, sit on my QB for 1 second to long and I dragged you off by your facemask....... then I took my mean streak to a new level and joined the Marines lol.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why all of the concerns regarding the smaller, faster DL's? How well have the slow, heavy guys worked for us the last 3 years? If our D-linemen are penetrating and closing off lanes I would think it would be easier for our ILB's to fill the known "open" lane, rather than waiting to read/react to which gap was open and then trying to fill. Can't be any worse, can it?

To me the only worry is #9 ~ Detroit AND Chicago are adding pieces and getting better. Can't count on a monumental collapse by either as happened in '13. Black & Blue division has returned.

Packerlover

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What concerns me the most are injuries. It seems the Packers are the most injured team in the NFL year in and year out. How great of a season could we have if all the key players were healthy all season long?

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The D line and injuries are the two biggest concerns in my book. I just cannot bring myself to beleive that the smaller faster guys are going to replace the big ol' run stuffers we used to have. I really think we have taken a step back in that aspect and will continue to get pushed around in the run game.
I have always been a believer in the front 3 being 1000 pounds of D-linemen. What we needed was younger giants. Really bummed to see Jolly out... Pickett was a couple years over due for the glue factory.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score

Yes, Bulaga staying healthy is the key.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Why all of the concerns regarding the smaller, faster DL's? How well have the slow, heavy guys worked for us the last 3 years? If our D-linemen are penetrating and closing off lanes I would think it would be easier for our ILB's to fill the known "open" lane, rather than waiting to read/react to which gap was open and then trying to fill. Can't be any worse, can it?

To me the only worry is #9 ~ Detroit AND Chicago are adding pieces and getting better. Can't count on a monumental collapse by either as happened in '13. Black & Blue division has returned.

I couldn't agree with you more. Tired of seeing big slow guys not doing anything and slugging around. At least there trying something different and if these guys can attack and get up field it only helps the LB's.

Members online

Latest posts