1 draft pick do over

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You're omitting the other side of the story, which is that Moss's character was a giant red flag to many organizations prior to the draft. Most of the teams that passed on him knew of the enormous potential but didn't want the headache. Green Bay was surely one of those. Moss's character issues carried on as feared, but he also turned out to be one of the best WRs of all time in retrospect.

It's been a while since the Packers drafted a character risk. The worst that I can think of in the last twenty-five years is Najeh Davenport, which wasn't all that much of a risk.

H

HardRightEdge

Sherrod would be an easy choice, but hardly fair, unless points are awarded for 20/20 hindsight. We'll likely never know if it was a "bad" pick given the severity of the injury.

According to the rules of the OP game, I guess I'll be the lone voice (so far) in saying Perry was the worst pick over the last 6 years considering (1) he was a first rounder and (2) the known risks regarding fit going in and the fact the player did everything within reason to communicate he thought the fit was poor.

The poor b*stard couldn't even get to OTAs to see what he could do in the elephant role with some snaps with his hand in the dirt...Peppers looks like that guy now.

I don't believe the Packers think much of Perry at this point.

Going back more than 6 years, Mandarich would be a solid first choice followed closely by Rich Campbell. Since we're breaking the rules here, Forrest Gregg traded a first round pick (which I believe turned out to be the #13 pick in the 1986 draft) plus a 5th. rounder to San Diego for the illustrious Mossy Cade. These three moves are emblematic of the Packers '80s futility.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would say the Reynolds we took as a DE from Florida St was a big bust when we had a lot of the other pieces already in place. First rounder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is going further back then this thread was intended for but absolutely. Wolf traded up to get him as well didn't he?

D

Deleted member 6794

This is going further back then this thread was intended for but absolutely. Wolf traded up to get him as well didn't he?

Yeah, we moved up seven spots to take Reynolds, sending Matt Hasselbeck to the Seahawks in the trade.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've never verified this claim, but have seen several people report that Mike Sherman had a hand in the 2001 draft, as Wolf was transitioning him into the new coach/GM role

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've never verified this claim, but have seen several people report that Mike Sherman had a hand in the 2001 draft, as Wolf was transitioning him into the new coach/GM role

Well then if true this doens't surprise me one bit. I'm sure Wolf made the final call but Sherman giving any input whatsoever is never a good idea.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
As I remember it, there was a lot of debate about how much influence Sherman had on Wolf during the 2001 draft. I always attributed that draft to Wolf because while he announced his retirement in February, he purposely stayed on through the draft and retired in June of 2001. I also thought it was unlikely that Sherman would challenge the legend that Wolf had become. Hindsight of course is 20/20 but it would have been much better for the Packers to have traded Hasselbeck for a pick, straight up. Instead, they traded Hass and pick #17 to Seattle for picks #10 and #72. The Packers picked Reynolds at #10 and LB Torrance Marshall at pick #72. The Seahawks picked OG Steve Hutchinson with pick #17 who played 12 seasons and went to the pro bowl seven times. Ouch.

Here are the players the Packers picked in that draft: DE Jamal Reynolds, WR Robert Ferguson, DB Bhawoh Jue, LB Torrance Marshall, OG Bill Ferrerio, and TE David Martin. Robert Ferguson was probably the best player from that draft. The other thing I remember from that time is someone on the Packers staff later said even before he was injured – and injuries ruined any chance he had for an NFL career – it was apparent Reynolds wasn’t going to be the great pass rusher he was drafted to be. Again hindsight but I do remember reports of him struggling before his first injury. Thank goodness for KGB (drafted in the 5th round of the 2000 draft) who did become that great pass rusher.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Von Holliday over Randy Moss had me and my Packer fans furious as it happened.... 1998, Favre was running out of receivers, weapons. Thought he was going to be a superstar, a difference-maker, a special playmaker, and we were sure we were going to team them up.

Wrong.

Turned out he was the difference-maker, and he made a whole bunch of stiff QB's look like Pro Bowlers, and the Vikings past us right away from the moment he got there in 1998 after we had made 2 straight Super Bowls.

Holliday had a nice, durable, career though. But you rarely get chances like that.... Teddy grabbed Rodgers in a similar free-fall. Wolf admitted passing on Moss was his biggest regret ever as Packers GM.
Moss was a special case........ In more ways than can be counted. Just because he found a very good home with the Vikings doesn't necessarily mean the same result would have happened in Green Bay. He very well could have been Mossy Cade part II. He was a huge character risk ala Clarett & Phillips.

H

HardRightEdge

Moss was a special case........ In more ways than can be counted. Just because he found a very good home with the Vikings doesn't necessarily mean the same result would have happened in Green Bay. He very well could have been Mossy Cade part II. He was a huge character risk ala Clarett & Phillips.
If Mossy Cade and Randy Moss had a baby would he be "D.J. Mossy Moss"?

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Moss was not that bad a dude at all.
I lived in Minnesota all those years and knew some contacts.

Culpepper was the bad dude.
So was Bryant McKinnie.

Moss was alright.

He with Favre would have been.... well remember 2007 when he was washed up? With Brady.......

Just|Me

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One draft pick redo and you choose that one? I mean talk about having your emotions about a player affect your choices!
believe me dude, there are no emotions at all, just simple addition of facts. We missed on so much talent in this draft, Burnett was just an example.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Actually is true. I remember it being reported that Wolf actually stated that Sherman wanted Reynolds and had a hand in the pot. Wolf was definitely not at his best the last few years of his tenure. I think Thompson has surpassed Wolf though I'm very appreciative of Wolf overall and I suspect that his son Elliot is going to one day be Thompson's replacement.

Reaction score
believe me dude, there are no emotions at all, just simple addition of facts. We missed on so much talent in this draft, Burnett was just an example.
Burnett was a candidate for Defensive Rookie of the Year before he got injured... Far from the worst pick that we would want to do over...

J Mills

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would have to go with Justin Harrell. What an awful pick. I was begging for Leon Hall at the time. We were in big need of CB's at the time and he fell in our lap. My mouth hit the floor when the pick was announced.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Moss was not that bad a dude at all.
I lived in Minnesota all those years and knew some contacts. Culpepper was the bad dude.
I lived there too and still do. I couldn't find any webpages alleging problems with Culpepper, except that his house was foreclosed upon after his career ended. I'm not sure that makes him worse than this piece of garbage:

Randy Moss
http://football.about.com/od/nationalfootballleague/a/mossantics.htm
(My bold and underline added for effect and clarity)

1995 - After signing a letter of intent to play his college football at Notre Dame, Moss took part in a racially-motivated fight at his high school in Belle, West Virginia. Moss pled guilty to battery and received probation and a 30-day suspended jail sentence. Because of the incident, Notre Dame revoked his scholarship.

1996 - While serving a 30-day jail sentence related to the previous incident, Moss tested positive for marijuana, violating his probation. He was released from the Florida State football program and served 60 extra days in jail for the probation violation.

2000 - In January, Moss was fined $25,000 for squirting an official with a water bottle. In November he was fined another $25,000 for touching an official.

2001 - Moss was fined $15,000 by the Vikings and required to receive anger management counseling for verbally abusing corporate sponsors on the team bus following a loss in November.

2001 - When questioned about his propensity to take plays off at times, Moss caused a stir by telling a Minneapolis newspaper columnist that he simply plays when he wants to play.

2002 - Moss was arrested after an incident in downtown Minneapolis in which he bumped a traffic control officer with his car, knocking her to the ground. He was ordered to pay a $1,200 fine and perform 40 hours of community service. Marijuana was allegedly found in his vehicle as well, but charges were later dropped.

2003 - The NFL fined Moss $5,000 for his role in a fight with the Chicago Bears during a September game. In November, he was fined another $5,000 for spiking a ball at the foot of Detroit Lions cornerback Dre' Bly.

2004 - Moss was fined $10,000 by the NFL after an end-zone celebration in which he pretended to pull down his pants and "moon" Green Bay Packers fans.

2004 - Moss also made negative news in 2004 for leaving the field with two seconds left in a loss to the Washington Redskins. Team leaders Matt Birk and Daunte Culpepper confronted Moss in the locker room after the game.

2005 - During HBO's "Real Sports with Bryant Gumbel", Moss caused a bit of an uproar when he admitted he "might" still partake in the use of marijuana once "every blue moon".

D

Deleted member 6794

Burnett was a candidate for Defensive Rookie of the Year before he got injured... Far from the worst pick that we would want to do over...

I have absolutely no idea how any would have considered Burnett a rookie of the year candidate after FOUR games.

Just|Me

Cheesehead
Reaction score
stopp kidding me. Burnett played in 4 games, had 1 int and 1 pd before he got injured. Looks to me he was as much candidate for DROY as any other rookie from that class who made it through week 4. anyway, I didn't say Burnett was a bad pick, just kind of a reach. With some luck we could have picked him with our #122 or #154 instead.

Members online

Latest posts