1/3 of the way through the season takeaways

H

HardRightEdge

Team stats for the Pack through 5 weeks....
According to PFF, the Packers lead the league in end zone celebrations.

Just kidding, there, but they have been a highlight. After an Adams score, the guys lined up and he fed them. The bobsled...we're all pushing together. Team. Nice.

D

Deleted member 6794

Thank you.

You're welcome, don't get used to me doing your job supporting one of your claims though. ;)

In the two games against Atlanta and Dallas, the Packers are giving up 32.5 PPG, though it bears mentioning that 7 points in the Atlanta game were given up by the offense. In the other three games, they're giving up 15.7 PPG. So clearly their stop unit will need to improve by season's end if they're going to give themselves the best chance possible of vanquishing the other NFC powers.

Unfortunately it bears mentioning that the Falcons stopped playing offense in the middle of the third quarter of that game though. It has been a common theme for Capers' defenses over the past six plus seasons that the unit performs at a higher level than most other teams against below average offenses but on the other hand allows a significant higher amount of points vs. elite offenses. It's hard to optimistic about that changing over the course of the 2017 season.

Does this data include IR/PUP? It does not say. Is it limited to starters, however that might be defined?

I don't have access to the site but took the chart from their Twitter feed. Therefore I don't have any information about the way the list is compiled but believe it includes players on IR/PUP.

D

Deleted member 6794

Here's the chart after week 5:

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

The Packers now rank sixth in total games missed due to injury but it seems several teams passed them in the area of cumulative quality of injured players over the past week.

H

HardRightEdge

I don't have access to the site but took the chart from their Twitter feed. Therefore I don't have any information about the way the list is compiled but believe it includes players on IR/PUP.
Again, that's half a loaf.

The Packers now rank sixth in total games missed due to injury but it seems several teams passed them in the area of cumulative quality of injured players over the past week.

There are single injuries that exceed the importance of the Packers' entire basket. While Luck's injury may be accurately reflected in that chart, Oakland's appearance on the left side, with Carr replaced by E. J. Manuel for half the season to date makes claims of cumulative quality highly questionable.

Last edited by a moderator:

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
My general take is that yes, the Packers have dealt with a lot of injuries early on in the season. That's part of the ups and downs of an NFL season. Its hit the team particularly ******* the offensive line which has definitely made a difference in the play calling and overall flow of the offense.

I'll agree that not much else could be done as the injuries to the OL were occurring. The team has made the best of it, and thank goodness AR is still able to walk after some of the hits he's taken. It's looking like we're getting healthier by the day in regards to that position group.

We've had a couple injuries to wide receiver and other guys have stepped up and played well.

And we've obviously seen some injuries to the defense, and it's particularly significant with the time that Daniels has missed, given that he seems to be our best defensive playmaker. King dealing with the concussion right now isn't ideal, but again, my stance dating back to the beginning of the offseason was that, at some point, whether King proves to be a difference maker or not, logic dictates that you're going to have to rely upon other guys outside of him.

King goes down, and what are you forced to do? Really upon Rollins and Randall again in more important roles. That was precisely the situation I feared before the season started. We really need for him to get healthy and stay healthy.

I just don't want to get to the end of the season, and have to hear about injuries derailing our season again. I've heard that for most of the past 7 seasons.

Reaction score
1/3 of the way through the season takeaways/giveaways +4..... and tied for 5th place with the Saints and Seattle :tup:

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

There are single injuries that exceed the importance of the Packers' entire basket. While Luck's injury may be accurately reflected in that chart, Oakland's appearance on the left side, with Carr replaced by E. J. Manuel for half the season to date makes claims of cumulative quality highly questionable.

I'm not claiming the chart to be accurate but as mentioned above it was the most detailed information I was able to find without having to pay for it. While Carr's injury is definitely devastating for the Raiders you have to realize that he has only missed a single game and their team has been pretty healthy otherwise.

King dealing with the concussion right now isn't ideal, but again, my stance dating back to the beginning of the offseason was that, at some point, whether King proves to be a difference maker or not, logic dictates that you're going to have to rely upon other guys outside of him.

King goes down, and what are you forced to do? Really upon Rollins and Randall again in more important roles. That was precisely the situation I feared before the season started. We really need for him to get healthy and stay healthy.

King definitely presents the only option on the roster who might be capable of covering opposing top receivers late this season. With Randall and Rollins being third and fourth on the depth chart respectively the Packers unfortunately have to rely on them making an impact even with everyone healthy at the position.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Some advanced metrics per Footballoutsiders:

Offense:

-Yards per drive: 33.84 (9th)
-Points per drive: 2.68 (2nd)
-Success rate: .776 (1st)*

Defense:

-Yards per drive: 32.33 (22nd)
-Points per drive: 2.00 (17th)
-Success rate: .721 (26th)*

Net (Offense minus Defense):

-Yards per drive: +1.51 (14th)
-Points per drive: +.68 (4th)
-Success rate: +.055 (5th)*

The four teams ahead of the Packers in Net Success Rate are, in order, the Broncos, Jaguars, Texans, and Eagles. What's interesting to me about that is how defensively driven those first four teams are.

*Success rate is a FO stat that gives the percentage of series that results in 1st downs or touchdowns.

In division, the Bears are at -.31 (25th) in Net Success Rate, the Vikings are at a straight 0.00 (17th), and the Lions are at .002 (16th).

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm not claiming the chart to be accurate but as mentioned above it was the most detailed information I was able to find without having to pay for it. While Carr's injury is definitely devastating for the Raiders you have to realize that he has only missed a single game and their team has been pretty healthy otherwise.

King definitely presents the only option on the roster who might be capable of covering opposing top receivers late this season. With Randall and Rollins being third and fourth on the depth chart respectively the Packers unfortunately have to rely on them making an impact even with everyone healthy at the position.
I think House is more capable than King at this point in their careers.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Perhaps, but King clearly has more upside with his age and talent/potential. It would bode remarkably well for the Packers for King to be on the field as much as possible between now and January.

Reaction score
It just hit me. The arguments you both provide are both valid and I'm glad King has made it to the level of us at least questioning IF is he a "top" cover guy this early into his career. Very pleased so far

Reaction score
Here's the chart after week 5:

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Im not sure why that metric reminded me of the game "Asteroids" but I found myself hitting "Hyperspace" on my keyboard emphatically. Only to find it was my Caps lock button ;)

D

Deleted member 6794

While that might currently be true I definitely don't want House to cover opposing top receivers in the playoffs. Therefore I hope King is able to develop into the team's best cornerback by January.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While that might currently be true I definitely don't want House to cover opposing top receivers in the playoffs. Therefore I hope King is able to develop into the team's best cornerback by January.
He has to get back on the field first lol.

D

Deleted member 6794

He has to get back on the field first.

While King won't play this week there's enough time left for him to move ahead of House on the depth chart before the start of the playoffs. I would definitely feel more confident about the team's ability to cover opposing top receiver in January that way.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Perhaps, but King clearly has more upside with his age and talent/potential. It would bode remarkably well for the Packers for King to be on the field as much as possible between now and January.
I believe that too. I’m just not sure how long it will take King to become the best CB on the team. It could take a couple of full seasons.

D

Deleted member 6794

I believe that too. I’m just not sure how long it will take King to become the best CB on the team. It could take a couple of full seasons.

Taking a look at the current depth chart at cornerback the Packers would be in huge trouble at the position if that holds true.

Members online

Latest posts