'09 Rules Change - Wedge on Special Teams Ruled Out

newman79

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ran across an interesting article from the Sunday NY Times talking about some rules changes for the upcoming season. Apparently, the wedge formation used on kickoff returns is ruled out, as too violent and leading to too many injuries. Instead of a wedge of 3 blockers, I guess it's being reduced to two. Also, the bunch formation on on-side kicks is ruled out as well.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/24/sports/football/24nfl.html?_r=1&ref=football

The article has some good diagrams in it to illustrate it. And, it says that it may impact who or what types of players play on special teams and ultimately end up making the roster -- perhaps less lineman and more LBs. I guess many special teams coaches are going to see how this all plays out in preseason.

favrefan4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Man, whats wrong with the wedge. If three blockers can get down the field and block...then why in the hell can't they? It's not like they are blocking up the whole field.

croxeye

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Im guessing it had to do with all of the injuries.

Now that that is implemented, I imagine coaches are going to tell their ST players to form up multiple 2 man blocking groups.

favrefan4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If anything they need to rule out the hits coming from the side. Did you see how many hits Ward had from the side last year playing for the Steelers?

Members online

Latest posts