Zone blocking concerns

calicheesehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
After watching the Training Camp footage on the NFL network Monday, which was pretty cool BTW, I saw something that concerned me a bit. Instead of blocking out a player or position they block out a zone or area and anyone on D who's in that particular zone will be their focus of attack. That being said, it appears, granted its still early, that our young OL will encounter many more holding penalties. When the OLinemen move to their zone they sometimes have to reach over to their guy to block and it sure looked as if they were holding quite a bit more. Especially when the Dlinemen were'nt exactly squared up to the guards/tackle they had to make some moves to get to these guys to block. This coupled with the fact that our OL is pretty young, just looked like a recipe for more penalties. Nothing kills drives quicker than O holding calls. You're not going to "stick" to the run when you're second and 15.
Any thoughts?

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
great call. i never really thought about that but now that you bring it up, it could be a great concern. I havent seen the footage, (which sucks cause NFL network is like 6 grand a year or something) but you got me nervous now.

however, its really early in camp, im sure all o lineman have problems in the first few weeks catching up with the game speed. lets hope its just early problems we can smooth out before gameday. we know that Tausch at least wont be holding.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This system has worked well for Denver and Atlanta, but it does seem like they've had veteran linemen. I think it is quite possible that the young guys will take awhile to become proficient at this type of blocking. The good news is that it's early in training camp, and these guys will have another month to work on their technique before they play a meaningful game.

Reaction score
Actually, from my observation, the were holding the defenders at the second level to allow them to stay where they were, sort of a freeze frame finish for Jags to see where they were positioned to block, etc. If this was a problem, I'm sure Jags would have scolded them, because he was running right behind them. :)

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the young guys would hold in any scheme. man or zone. It's if guys like Tauscher and Clifton start to get calls then it would concern me. I think the zone scheme will be good for Green Bay in time. Just need too be patient with it. Once they get on it, it'll be very strong for us assuming Colledge and Spitz develop. Colledge is a great pass blocker as well. He was a LT in college at Boise State. Didn't give up a sack in 3 years. His run blocking is something I'll be watching come pre season.

yooperfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Is this a blocking scheme or Chinese fire drill?
Trom said"give them more time" after only a week of practice.
I think by the 1st exhibition game they should have some semblance of a blocking scheme.
Hopefully by the 1st regular season game this scheme will look like more than a chinese fire drill!

Members online

Latest posts