Zombo's hit

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
Ok, I'm having trouble understanding exactly how a defender is allowed to hit a Quarterback. He apparently can't go for the legs and Zombo's hit was called helmet to helmet. Yet if I recall he really hit him under the chin. If you're running in straight up to tackle a guy, it's gonna be pretty hard to duck your head. So defenders are only allowed to tackle a QB by the abdomen or chest? I thought this was a contact sport.

chucknorris101

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ok, I'm having trouble understanding exactly how a defender is allowed to hit a Quarterback. He apparently can't go for the legs and Zombo's hit was called helmet to helmet. Yet if I recall he really hit him under the chin. If you're running in straight up to tackle a guy, it's gonna be pretty hard to duck your head. So defenders are only allowed to tackle a QB by the abdomen or chest? I thought this was a contact sport.

The way the refs were calling the game, if we so much as breathed on Cutler it was 15 yards.

The Drew

The Drew Cave
Reaction score
THe NFL is turning into a ***** league... All these damn rules... they called that **** last night but know one saw the ****in blow to the head and the facemask tackle last year in the Playoffs against the Cards... WTF!!! The NFL wanted the Bears to win that game... alot of ******** calls...

y5nthon5a

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Did you actually see the hit? His helmet came into contact with the guard of the face in front of Cutler's mask. It was a hard hit to it as well, and could have broke Cutler's jaw, or hurt his neck(if i remember right Cutler's neck was turned some). You're supposed to hit below the neck.

OP
OP
Croak

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
Did you actually see the hit? His helmet came into contact with the guard of the face in front of Cutler's mask. It was a hard hit to it as well, and could have broke Cutler's jaw, or hurt his neck(if i remember right Cutler's neck was turned some). You're supposed to hit below the neck.

Yeah, I saw it. I don't have big screen hi def TV, though. So you are supposed to hit below the neck and above the waist on QBs? Why don't we just give them little belts with flags hanging from them?

dansz15

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hey NFL, here is a quick comment:

Oh yea, let me get as low as possible, without hitting your knees, while applying over a 1000 pounds of force behind me hit, while excelling to about 10 MPH.

NFL needs make a decision if it wants to be a league where it is football or a league where everything is going to become illegal. Even on NFL live last week one of the guys said the league is soft regarding QB's and it isn't football anymore. What happened to the nasty, tough QB's? These guys got blasted by players 10 times harder and never complained. I agree with Drew, the NFL is becoming a joke when it comes to contact. Zombo hit his helmet, but what really irritated me is that it seemed unintentional and he just got him under the chin. I guess it is a 15 yard call, but where was the flag when Peppers tripped up Rodgers and #99 fell on his head well after the ball was released? Oh yea, that's right. There isn't one.

Can't cry over spilt milk, I guess. But the reffing was **** poor in this game even if GB deserved 10-13 of those penalties, but all the rest were a joke and real evidence for the NFL to get some real refs and take another look at these rules. I'll gladly get my butt rocked for $2 million a year and get to play football. Thought getting roughed up was a part of the game...

Give it a few years: New rule for players holding the ball - two hand touch! Yay!

Murgen

MechaPackzilla
Reaction score
Reason Cutler and bears got a lot of calls is they were whining to the Refs all day before the game about how dirty GB plays and watch out for this and that.

I don't mind a tightly called game, but lets have it both ways. I'm really really starting to believe the conspiracy theories about Refs being told to throw games to teams.

Chalk it up to Home Field. We'll get our revenge Jan 2 when we knock the Bears out of the playoff hunt.

boomersooner28

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You guys are missing the most important/disgusting part of that call. The ball was still in his mother ****ing hands when he made contact!!! Is the rule now that your not allowed to hit the quarterback even if he has the ball? I am currently contemplating whether or not to ever watch another NFL game after that call. That is not football.

ATL Packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Chalk it up to Home Field. We'll get our revenge Jan 2 when we knock the Bears out of the playoff hunt.

While this would be nice, I don't forsee us being able to knock them out of the hunt as I assume they will already be out of it. They are clearly "who we thought they were", overrated. As the other 10+ threads state, we handed that game to them with the penalties and fumble. Cutler's stat line didn't look near as bad as it should have been. Be patient as it is a long season, we will be just fine.

dansz15

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have thought about the conspiracy theory also, some of it just seems too obvious to be true but after the amount of trash they are calling these days it is something that crosses the mind once in a while. A friend of mine did a college project for it and it was honestly incredible what he came up with - and ratings didn't lie. We'll see though maybe the refs were caught up in hype of hey Packers keep getting penalties. Good for Woodson to step up and say something though, NFL needs to hear it.

OP
OP
Croak

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
I have thought about the conspiracy theory also, some of it just seems too obvious to be true but after the amount of trash they are calling these days it is something that crosses the mind once in a while. A friend of mine did a college project for it and it was honestly incredible what he came up with - and ratings didn't lie. We'll see though maybe the refs were caught up in hype of hey Packers keep getting penalties. Good for Woodson to step up and say something though, NFL needs to hear it.

What did Woodson say?

DergaSmash

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Helmet to helmet is always going to get flagged (usually, they do miss some). Yet every time a defensive player makes helmet to helmet contact with the QB he is rolling the dice on a big penalty. I'm not angry with Zombo for the hit or for the flag. It is the rule. Zombo's hit didn't look like it was intended to hurt Cutler or anything, he just was unaware of the rule or misjudged his approach. I'm actually glad he hit Cutler instead of pulling up if he had the chance. Cutler makes a lot of mistakes when he starts getting beat up. I'm sure he will learn from it. It was good to see the amount of pressure the rest of the D could generate and not have Matthews as our sole pass rush threat.

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
Clarity: You can't touch the head of the QB. At all. Auto-penalty. See for an example Favre's sack/fumble that was nullified in the Detroit game. Suh ran by and touched his head with his hand and got the personal foul for it.

I hate the rule, but that's it in a nutshell.

And Zombo absolutely deserved his penalty. He blasted Cutler's head.

OP
OP
Croak

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
Someone tell the QBs to put on their big boy ******* for Pete's sake. At least one thing about he who shall not be named. In the past when he got hit hard by guys, a lot of times he'd get up and get right in their face.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Clarity: You can't touch the head of the QB. At all. Auto-penalty. See for an example Favre's sack/fumble that was nullified in the Detroit game. Suh ran by and touched his head with his hand and got the personal foul for it.

I hate the rule, but that's it in a nutshell.

And Zombo absolutely deserved his penalty. He blasted Cutler's head.
Tell that to Aaron Rodgers' facemask against the Cardinals and the Eagles...

It's not about the penalty per se, but the criteria, which is usually in favor of the home team, and sometimes, against the Packers...

OP
OP
Croak

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
Tell that to Aaron Rodgers' facemask against the Cardinals and the Eagles...

It's not about the penalty per se, but the criteria, which is usually in favor of the home team, and sometimes, against the Packers...

Unfortunately it's a fact. ESPN the Mag did a little blurb on Refs bias. I think it was some time within the past year or two. They found that statistically refs do tend to give an edge to home teams. They also tend to give an edge to teams wearing red. There were several other factors that were mentioned. They went a little into the psychology of officiating and found that there are indeed some biases that make it hard for refs to be totally objective.

We can only hope this works in our favor at Lambeau.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the refs would tell you they flat out missed that one.

Especially if you showed them the picture of it.
Actually, no.
NFL offers context in face mask ruling - NFC North Blog - ESPN

The NFL issued a rules explanation Monday in response to questions about the play. I got my hands on it this afternoon, and its general tone suggests that no illegal act occurred because Adams -- in the judgment of officials -- did not twist, turn or pull Rodgers’ face mask. An inadvertent grab is legal in part because of a 2008 rule revision.

Yes, they're full of ****. No, they're NOT worth my dog's crap. And, yes, I hate referees with a passion, and do want them to die in a fire.

Incubes12

Bay Harbor Butcher?
Reaction score
Anyone notice these penalties only happen where certain...ahem...prima donna...cough cough...qb's like Cutler and namely Tom Brady play?

I've been looking all over for a site that will show me penalty statistics (i.e. the ratio of penalties called against the Bears at Soldier to penalties against their opponents). Anyone know of a good place?

OP
OP
Croak

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score

I found the interview to which you were referring. It's on the official Packers web page. Woodson just told it like it is.

PackerManLV

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yup

Reason Cutler and bears got a lot of calls is they were whining to the Refs all day before the game about how dirty GB plays and watch out for this and that.

I don't mind a tightly called game, but lets have it both ways. I'm really really starting to believe the conspiracy theories about Refs being told to throw games to teams.

Dude you hit the nail right on the head, they know greenbay plays physical and alot of man coverage that flag on Burnett was a trash call he turned and went for the ball he didn't grab the reciever they both were going for the ball. Refs controlled the outcome of this game by far.

dansz15

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Honestly, this game really just irritates me. Especially seeing the post game interview. And I am not being a poor sport, nor are anyone on this board but just voicing how the NFL is supposed to provide an elite product and all it actually does it supply it's own staff with people who can't make calls week in and week out. Hoculi is a perfect example no matter how great he is as a ref or what people say, he has screwed up so many times since that big blown call.

And for the Johnson catch. That was a catch, everyone knew it. Maybe they should take away one handers if they are going to say that wasn't. Woodson said it right - they need to take a look at this. Just irritating we spend our money on something like that.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought this was the call that ruined the Packers. On the "illegal hit" in question, Barnett intercepted Cutler. The game was over and GB was cruising to a win.

The hit was fine. He didn't hit the head, he hit the chin strap.

I also noticed Cutler had a tendency to "dip his head" before contact. His shoulder or chest became his head within a split second because of this head dip.

Members online

Latest posts