Your thoughts on Vic Ketchman?

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just wondering what anyone who reads or checks out packers.com thinks of the editor of the site Vic Ketchman.

http://www.packers.com/news-and-eve...-gesture/9fbc165b-3e25-48ff-895e-dd7b271ab7d1

What I think:
Seems to me that he is somewhat of a bandwagon fan.
He wasn't a Packers fan when they hired him and I just found out that he's from Florida, he covered the Jaguars before, so he just came here to do a job.
He is also a smart *** in his column or remarks to Packers fans.
Which I don't think is right. If the Packers have someone speaking for them on a regular basis then that person should have class, just like the organization.
He needs to be fired and the Packers need to bring in a fan who is more knowledgeable about the team and organization and can speak with class.

What do you think?

dbain21

Chicagoland Packer Fan
Reaction score
I enjoy some of his stuff, but he can be a smart alec to the packer fans which is annoying. I don't think he's a bandwagon fan, I mean, its his job as a sports journalist to cover the team he's assigned/hired to write for. Plus who couldn't like the packers? ;), we're 9-0 baby!

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
OMG this is the guy that used to write for the Jags, for years. Excuse me while I throw up!! He used to say the dumbest things thinking they were funny.

I always thought he was a true Steelers fan or thats what I remember some Jags fans saying one time.

realcaliforniacheese

A-Rods Boss
Reaction score
I think the guy is Not a fan at all, he is a journalist that was hired buy the team to create news. He doesn't get caught up in the hype and stays professional. He is edgy and sarcastic at times but I think it only adds to the entertainment of his colums. I personally think the man has a wealth of football experience an knowledge stretching several decades. To me he is the best thing to happen to Packers.com in an long time. I read his ask vick everyday.

He only seems to give a sarcastic answer to a real dumba** question or in retort to an equally sarcastic remark. But I find he does it in a respectful way. Football fans only seem to like writers and analysts who get caught up in the emotion and agree with them. Fans make emotional statements, he tries to counteract with facts and common sense which ****** some people off.

anyway I really like him and I think so do a lot of others. Have to agree he is kinda bad in front of the camera though.

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
I remember when the Jags played the Pats in the playoffs in 07. lmao Vic always put a * after the Pats. "This weekend the Jaguars travel to New England to play the Patriots*. The Patriots* have a record of 16-0."

OP
OP
Forget Favre

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He was with the Steelers first, right? That means he's probably the ultimate bandwagoner. I don't know why the Packers official site can't hire real fans of the team who have writing skills.
Or an editor in this case.

They/we need to have an editor who is a fan who understands the fans.
Packers.com is an exclusive Packers site, not ESPN.

Note to Crazy: I like your sig. line showing all the year's of the championship wins.

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
I never liked him before, never knew he wrote for the Jag's.

His articles are usually from his point of view only, very opinionated without thinking outside the box. You know, writing sports you have to look at it from ALL the angles. That's something I ignore in times, but it's true. If you're a paid writer, you have to look at things from all 4 corners, not just how you want to see it, or you come off like Vic, biased.

North44

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like Vic. His job is not to be a fan. I think he's smart and funny, and yes, he's sometimes a smart aleck. I like his attitude towards football. I think that we as fans sometimes take the game too seriously. I don't like it when fans are mean and nasty (really ugly, not just poking at each other in good fun) to each other over a game called football- especially when it's towards their OWN team's fans! I agree though with the poster that mentioned that he is not very good in front of the camera, much better writer than speaker! I still enjoy his video bits though.

gwh11

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Has a rep for being rather polarizing: funny & knowledgable or sarcastic windbag? In much the same way Howard Cosell was, imo. One thing is more certain: The Packers chose him to ramp up the website & generate more traffic. Not everybody who listens to Rush Limbaugh likes him, for example, but they tune in.

greenandgold

I'm Dirty Hairy Callahan
Reaction score
Id rather have Raptorman or Rosie O'Donnell write the articles than Vic. That say's a lot.

No, not Rosie. Even I would not go that far. But it annoys me he came up here, seems to want all the attention, and does seem to be a bandwagoner and a closet fan of a certain other team. His jokes are not funny, either.

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
No, not Rosie. Even I would not go that far. But it annoys me he came up here, seems to want all the attention, and does seem to be a bandwagoner and a closet fan of a certain other team. His jokes are not funny, either.

We need Rosie

So the comb over king can come in, and tell her YOU'RE FIRED!

D

Dan115

I like the guy. He was raised on Pitt football. Came to Green Bay to do a job,true.

OP
OP
Forget Favre

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Vic was in a video where he was discussing the upcoming Tampa Bay game. (I tried to find it for the link but now I can't.)
Because he is also from Florida and not used to cold Wisconsin, Vic thought that the cold weather was going to effect the Bucs game.
That's all he could focus on. The weather. Not any players or defense or offense strategy of either team like his colleague was talking about. Just the cold weather.
So he thinks that just because he doesn't like the cold that the Bucs won't either. So his thinking was that whatever effects will effect everyone else is too.
Sorry, but that is just stupid. That is not the way to talk football.
It's like thinking, "Hey, I stubbed my toe today while walking around on Lambeau field so that means the Bucs are going to be tripping too."
As we all saw, the cold weather didn't effect the Bucs at all.
What did was Green Bay's play which is what he should have talked about.
I'm done with him. Yeah, I'd rather have Rosie O Donnel too.

Mushroom

Packer Owner/Shareholder
Reaction score
I just noticed he replied to me in the Nov 28th segment, titled something about being a dome team. I would be Josh from Beloit WI, LOL...what a ****, haha

slaughter25

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wouldnt mind if he was no longer covering the pack that's for sure. Idk if you guys have ever sat in the gameday chat room with him but every little piece of garbage out of his mouth is condescending, saracastic, and rude.

PackCrazed4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Chicago Native on loan to Tallahassee, FL
I've only read one recent article by him and it was just a game preview, nothing too dramatic. Overall, everyone makes him sound like a tool. I never understood the attraction of hiring him for the website, he wasn't exactly some big name draw. Perhaps they'd realize their traffic numbers could be improved if it weren't the most inefficient website on the planet. Give some money to a new webmaster, please.

Ceodore

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I read his Q&A's sometimes. I like his answers when he's being serious, but sometimes he is very sarcastic and kindof rude. People take the time to write in and ask him questions and he features them, but just brushed them off. Rude.

wholovesbevers

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Google.com dug up this old post, I felt obligated to reply.

Some of the most hypocrital responses I've read in a while. 'Look at it from all angles!!', people say, yet their responses are so one sided it's laughable. Vic is here to do a job. He was in Jacksonville, and Pittsburgh to do a job. I agree, some of his comments are sarcastic, but never rude, and 99% of the time, the person who submitted the question deserved it.

People that submit questions like this one today, "Are the Packers looking for another Clay Matthews caliber rusher at OLB?"

Really? That's your question? Give me a break.

If I was Vic, I wouldn't even offer a sarcastic response to such a silly question. Not to mention, it's been asked 50 times a week since we lost to the Giants in January and has been discussed in depth in his column numerous times. I don't understand the argument that someone took the time to submit the question and are just brushed off. Vic has taken a lot of time to make this column, take the time to find the question that 50 other bandwagoners have already asked.

Vic is a fantastic writer, knows the roots of the league, knows how far the NFL has come since it's inception, and presents the facts instead of nodding his head and agreeing with some fan who stumbled onto the site one day and asked a numbskull question. The man deserves some respect.

People call him a homer or a bandwagoner. Do you want your teams websites editor talking about his favorite team? I don't understand him being labled as such. He's got that perfect balance of tact and being able to bring overbearing fans back to reality.

I, for one, enjoy 'Ask Vic' everyday. His experiences over 40 years covering the NFL are insightful. I will continue to read it, and I hope others can learn to enjoy it also.

Go Pack Go!

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Just wondering what anyone who reads or checks out packers.com thinks of the editor of the site Vic Ketchman.

http://www.packers.com/news-and-eve...-gesture/9fbc165b-3e25-48ff-895e-dd7b271ab7d1

What I think:
Seems to me that he is somewhat of a bandwagon fan.
He wasn't a Packers fan when they hired him and I just found out that he's from Florida, he covered the Jaguars before, so he just came here to do a job.
He is also a smart *** in his column or remarks to Packers fans.
Which I don't think is right. If the Packers have someone speaking for them on a regular basis then that person should have class, just like the organization.
He needs to be fired and the Packers need to bring in a fan who is more knowledgeable about the team and organization and can speak with class.

What do you think?
I think he is still in love with the running game and thus hates covering our team which has such a glorious lack of one. I think he just pulls names and uses them to ask his own questions sometimes (ever notice how now and again he answers a question that is a response to a question earlier in the same article? how the hey did Mimi from Miami read that post before you posted it Ketch?)

He does a good job at some things, but should probably go back to covering Jones-Drew

Latest posts