Your opinion on the playcalling?

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
since there was a coaching decision thread, i thought this one could focus on the actual playcalling.

I liked the offensive playcalling a lot, except the 1 WR screen. yucky.

defense was very basic(kinda like the bears did this weekend) but ok i guess.

just my opinion.

PackerLegend

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the CB's did alot of man to man just to see how well they would do if it would have been a reg season game I think we would have changed that to give them help. Also it is suppose to be not written in a book or anything but most of the time teams dont blitz eachothers starting QB's. The chargers did and that was really unexpected. They keep saying how very little gameplan goes into the 1st preseason game

jdlax

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, I did see what I'm guessing was a draw play on 3rd and 14 in the 2nd half. An hommage to the fallen Mike(S.)?

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought the best thing for the young Packers was to have all this stuff thrown at them. If you see it now and practice against it, you might just get better.

4packgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
packedhouse01 said:
I thought the best thing for the young Packers was to have all this stuff thrown at them. If you see it now and practice against it, you might just get better.

hey - a new perspective - i like it, packedhouse!! :D

JJP41

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the problems on the O-Line really meant the staff had to pull it in some, otherwise risk getting someone killed.

The defense was pretty vanilla, but I would have liked to have seen more fire out of the guys.

yooperfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As for the play calling, I thought I was watching a replay of one of last years games.
Eighteen rushing attempts, three by Rogers (which I'm sure weren't designed), sure reminded me of the way the run was abandond last year.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
4packgirl said:
packedhouse01 said:

hey - a new perspective - i like it, packedhouse!! :D

Very true. Someone else mentioned that the Chargers blitzing which is uncharacteristly done in the pre season did the Packers O Line more good than bad.

Raider Pride

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Trom.

Allow me to interupt your thread. I have been reading all the threads since I dragged my *** back from the Crown Plaza hotel after the Seahawks game last night.

I am too tired to start a new thread.

packedhouse01 said:

Good on you... That is the way to look at it.

If it makes you all feel better the N.F.C. Champion Mike Holmgren led SEAHAWKS looked awfull last night at Quest Stadium. I did not see the Packers game... But it could not have been as bad as the SEAHAWKS played.

BTW... Quest Stadium in Seattle is a sweet venue. Very nice.

IT IS ONLY THE PRE-SEASON you retarded field mouse's

Calm down everyone. The O-Line is alwas the last to develop and anyone who knows anything about the game of football knows that, so shut the #$*& up about the O-Line until week 3 of the regular season.

My RAIDERS are 1-0 in the pre-season soon to be 2-0. My Packers are 0-1

Who here can tell me that the RAIDERS will have more wins than the Packers this year.

NO ONE... That is who.

I like the Packers coaching staff. I like them a great deal, and forget about M's numbers as O.C. last year, that is a lame argument. Remember he was O.C. not Head Coach. That is like bashing the Vice President of the United States of America. It can not be done.

Lighten up... Lighten up all of you!

I am damn proud to be a Packer Fan.

I am damn proud to know that I have been a Packer Fan fpr a very long time.

I am damn proud to be a Raider Fan.

I am damn proud to be Raider Fan for a very long time.

Pitty the Long Term Dolphin Fans.

Pitty the Long term Seahawk Fans.

Pitty the Long term Charger fans who just won a damn Pre Season Game.

Pitty the Long Term Bengal fans.

NEVER Pitty the Long Term Viking Fans.

Be thankful for what you have, eat all the food on your plate, help your wife or mother wash the dishes, lay your head on your pillow each night and be thankfull in prayer, and be thankfull you all are PACKER fans.

Now everyone.... Shut up! And be THANKFULL.

Read some insightfull posts from enlightened foot ball fans like Bruce, Retired Grandpa, T.O. Pack Fan, and all the rest.

Sincerely,

Your friend.

Raider Pride.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
The rookies need on the job training to get used to the speed of the game..They can do all the right things in practice but need to practice those things in game situations.

I saw someone post something about penalties.

6 that were called and 4 accepted I think it was....That is a good start, considering last year they had 11..

PackerLegend

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Did our O-Line even have a false start? The one 15 yarder for Woodson standing over the line on the sideline was a bunch of crap. They say most of the time they get warnings but they just flaged him.

net

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What good is the playcalling when the offensive line can't execute?

It is a pre-season game, but the contrast in preparedness was more than a little striking.

I would keep an eye on the Chargers this year.

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here, here TOP. I must say, I liked Aaron Rodgers performance. The kid is very mobile, accurate on the run, and has a nice ball. I am excited to watch hs continued development.

paxvogel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The purpose of pre season is to evaluate borderline players and decide who will make the team. Not designed to be a win since that is meaningless. I thought they should have gotten a pretty good idea about what some of the borderline and new OL could do. They certainly must feel better about Aaron Rodgers, I know I do. Herron looked good and probably made the team and Hawk looked much better and his physical ability shone through. Favre did not look good, looks like he lost a step and lack of mobility makes him more susceptible to sacks.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
paxvogel said:
The purpose of pre season is to evaluate borderline players and decide who will make the team. Not designed to be a win since that is meaningless. I thought they should have gotten a pretty good idea about what some of the borderline and new OL could do. They certainly must feel better about Aaron Rodgers, I know I do. Herron looked good and probably made the team and Hawk looked much better and his physical ability shone through. Favre did not look good, looks like he lost a step and lack of mobility makes him more susceptible to sacks.

Also, especially early in pre-season, teams don't game plan their opponents and generally teams run basic schemes against each other so they CAN evaluate the players better.

The thinking is to run basic schemes so you can see how your guys are doing out there. Kind of hard to evaluate people when the QB is being blitzed like crazy and under pressure all the time.

Especially when you know your opponent didn't prepare for that.

My assessment of the game is that if a team decides to step it up beyond what is traditionally seen from teams in the early pre-season they can make the other team look pretty inept.

TOPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Roddy_Alberse said:
TOPackerFan said:
I was really impressed by Aaron too.

Maybe they should bench Favre and let the kid take over?

I don't know if I'd say that, after all he was playing against backups. Rodgers looked a lot more mobile and natural than he did last year. Even showed some pretty good touch on the deep ball. He's starting to look like he might just be able to handle the job post-Brett.

paxvogel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So be it. But if we get the same Favre we got last season and are less than .500 by mid season then make the change and let the new guys get used to each other. Favre is an icon but we have to move on at some point.

TomAllen

Cheesehead
Reaction score
paxvogel said:
So be it. But if we get the same Favre we got last season and are less than .500 by mid season then make the change and let the new guys get used to each other. Favre is an icon but we have to move on at some point.

This is beautiful!

"The same Favre we got last season"?

Do you mean the Favre that was running for his life on every passing play because the O-Line was giving him 2 seconds or less to release the ball?

Or the Favre who didn't have a running game, so the defense could key on the pass and blitz the hell out him, thereby knocking the snot out of him?

Or was it the Favre that didn't have any receivers to throw to because Driver was always double covered, and the other guys were alligator armed, NFL Europe quality talent?

Or was it the Favre that had to call a play and knew that everybody on the defense knew what was coming, and even my 88 year old grandmother knew what play was coming as well?

Don't forget, Aaron Rodgers was playing against SD's second string defense (a big difference), and they probably weren't trying to rattle his cage as much as they were Favre's..but let's blame it all on him anyway, since that seems to be the prevailing wisdom, eh?

Unbelievable.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
warhawk said:
Also, especially early in pre-season, teams don't game plan their opponents and generally teams run basic schemes against each other so they CAN evaluate the players better.

The thinking is to run basic schemes so you can see how your guys are doing out there. Kind of hard to evaluate people when the QB is being blitzed like crazy and under pressure all the time.

Especially when you know your opponent didn't prepare for that.

My assessment of the game is that if a team decides to step it up beyond what is traditionally seen from teams in the early pre-season they can make the other team look pretty inept.

this is a great great point.! no game plan, new line, new system and new staff against a team that may have studied a little or may have blitzed too much for a pre season game. its gonna make things look worse than they may be. i think we got a good look at our teams, and i think that game was a basic run through to get everyone on the same page.. next week should be better.

4packgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TomAllen said:
paxvogel said:

This is beautiful!

"The same Favre we got last season"?

Do you mean the Favre that was running for his life on every passing play because the O-Line was giving him 2 seconds or less to release the ball?

Or the Favre who didn't have a running game, so the defense could key on the pass and blitz the hell out him, thereby knocking the snot out of him?

Or was it the Favre that didn't have any receivers to throw to because Driver was always double covered, and the other guys were alligator armed, NFL Europe quality talent?

Or was it the Favre that had to call a play and knew that everybody on the defense knew what was coming, and even my 88 year old grandmother knew what play was coming as well?

Don't forget, Aaron Rodgers was playing against SD's second string defense (a big difference), and they probably weren't trying to rattle his cage as much as they were Favre's..but let's blame it all on him anyway, since that seems to be the prevailing wisdom, eh?

Unbelievable.

i 2nd that - unfrigginbelievable!!!! keep workin on the "start rodgers campaign", paxvogel - you're gonna need ALL the help you can get!! :roll:

Members online

Latest posts