Young Offensive Line Making Strides...

slackerbacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think that's still up for debate, but what's clear to me is he hasn't done enough in two years to get this team back into playoff form. One NFL caliber Guard in two years would have put this team much much closer. Likewise, an additional playmaker at WR or TE has been needed both seasons as well. While he has hit on some draft picks and did a hell of a job finding a quality P, K and DT, the other moves have been lacking.

I know a lot of folks like him, but he's much too laid back for me. He gives me the impression that he's in no hurry to turn things around....as if he's thumbing his nose at the vets and quite content to do things his way and on his time table. He's got that right because he's the man in charge, but I don't have to like. IMO, he appears to have a huge ego problem and seems intent on running Favre off before he makes any real attempt at turning things around?

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think that's still up for debate, but what's clear to me is he hasn't done enough in two years to get this team back into playoff form. One NFL caliber Guard in two years would have put this team much much closer. Likewise, an additional playmaker at WR or TE has been needed both seasons as well. While he has hit on some draft picks and did a hell of a job finding a quality P, K and DT, the other moves have been lacking.

I know a lot of folks like him, but he's much too laid back for me. He gives me the impression that he's in no hurry to turn things around....as if he's thumbing his nose at the vets and quite content to do things his way and on his time table. He's got that right because he's the man in charge, but I don't have to like. IMO, he appears to have a huge ego problem and seems intent on running Favre off before he makes any real attempt at turning things around?

So when were we supposed to spend all this money to fill the needs as you stated above? Certainly not in his 1st year as GM when Green Bay was 11 million over the cap. Last year he went out and spent money. Charles Woodson and Ryan Pickett have been key signings. He used our cap to resign Aaron Kampman and Ahman Green which has worked out fairly good I would say. He gave Donald Driver and Scott Wells contract extensions as well. All that and we still have room to make the moves that your stating above this year. He didn't overhaul in free agency and he never will. You can't buy a Super Bowl. Dan Snyder tries it every year and fails every year. Dallas made some big investments this year and while they are in the playoffs, they're nothing special right now and going through some turmoil. You can't buy a Super Bowl team. You have to build one and I think Thompson and the entire front office firmly believes they can build one around Brett Favre with in the next 2 years.

Denver's Mike Shanahan took over in 1995 and installed zone blocking scheme and found some key players such as Terrell Davis. He rebuilt the Broncos as John Elway's career wound down. Elway ended up staying probably an extra year or two than most had thought and Denver won 2 Super Bowls. By no means am I saying Ted Thompson is going to build a Super Bowl Team. I can't see in the future but it's certainly possible to build a team with a veteran QB over the course of a couple of years. Denver is a great example and Green Bay is giving their best shot.

slackerbacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As I said in the other thread, I think TT had a lot more options than you and others want to admit.

He choose to move JWalk and go w/ Jennings knowing we had a core group of vets getting older and a HOF QB who may be in his last year w/ the team. Many would say that was a great move. Personality aside, clearly the team misses Walker's playmaking ability. Likewise, Stalworth could have been had for a 4th rd draft pick; Philly made it happen and TT left the team on the outside looking in in order to protect his precious draft pick. I think D. Branch could have been another option as well, but TT CHOOSE to spend what cap money he did have to cut Carroll and extend Wells. He had options.

On the OL, a simple move would have been to bring Grey Ruegamer back. Essentially, he has been the starting Center the last two years due to Flanngan's injuries. That would have allowed Wells to stay at LG where he performed well down the stretch last season and provided some continuity. At the very least, it would have been another option if the rookies were not cutting. He choose to go the all rookie route, and left the team very little options and or depth.

I think you could question why he kept Sherman around last year, spent draft picks for his approach, and then fired him at season's end. Essentially, that approach wasted last year's draft. Collins and Poppinga remain, but little else.

You can't wait and do very little in FA and after the draft is over and then try and make moves/trades w/ teams. They have no way then of replacing the player(s) they may lose. Essentially, that's what TT has done both seasons. You and others want to continue puffing him and supporting him at all costs, that's your choice. I happen to think he's not nearly aggressive enough and wasting a good opportunity to rebound simply because he's hell bent on doing it his way and on his time table. Hopefully it all works out and he'll prove me all wrong.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He choose to move JWalk and go w/ Jennings knowing we had a core group of vets getting older and a HOF QB who may be in his last year w/ the team. Many would say that was a great move. Personality aside, clearly the team misses Walker's playmaking ability. Likewise, Stalworth could have been had for a 4th rd draft pick; Philly made it happen and TT left the team on the outside looking in in order to protect his precious draft pick. I think D. Branch could have been another option as well, but TT CHOOSE to spend what cap money he did have to cut Carroll and extend Wells. He had options.

Disagree with Stallworth and Branch. Branch went for a 1st round pick. He's not worth a mid 1st round pick and that's what Green Bay is going to have. He's also a smaller target and isn't a big time deep threat. So while he's a solid player he's more like another Driver or Jennings. This team needs help at TE and they need a receiver to stretch the field. Stallworth started off fast but he hasn't really done much from 3/4 of the season. Plus people forget Philly gave a LB in they deal as well and he's started every single game this year for the Saints. So we would've had to part ways with probably another player.

I agree with Walker though but I think his options this year were limited. I think the best bet Green Bay could've done was give Walker his money when he first asked for it. Though living in Green Bay that was a very unpopular decision at the time.

On the OL, a simple move would have been to bring Grey Ruegamer back. Essentially, he has been the starting Center the last two years due to Flanngan's injuries. That would have allowed Wells to stay at LG where he performed well down the stretch last season and provided some continuity. At the very least, it would have been another option if the rookies were not cutting. He choose to go the all rookie route, and left the team very little options and or depth.

I would blame McCarthy here if anyone. McCarthy wanted to bring in the zone blocking scheme and he did. Grey Ruegamer is not a good fit. He's not a huge lineman but he's slow. He doesn't move well at all and plays like he weights 345. So I think T.T. did the right thing by drafting offensive lineman who fit what Mike McCarthy wants to do with the zone blocking scheme. He pretty much built the Draft around it and for the FUTURE it does look like it could and will work. With an investment he has in Rodgers I think he potentially has found an offensive lineman that can protect him. I’ve stated before I think Rodgers will end up making or breaking his era as GM here.

I think you could question why he kept Sherman around last year, spent draft picks for his approach, and then fired him at season's end. Essentially, that approach wasted last year's draft. Collins and Poppinga remain, but little else.

Aaron Rodgers, Marvel Underwood, and Michael Montgomery remain as well. While last years Draft has been both good and bad it's going to go down as the Draft that GB took Aaron Rodgers. Whether that ends up being good or bad is still speculation until Favre retires and Rodgers gets on the field.

You can't wait and do very little in FA and after the draft is over and then try and make moves/trades w/ teams. They have no way then of replacing the player(s) they may lose. Essentially, that's what TT has done both seasons. You and others want to continue puffing him and supporting him at all costs, that's your choice. I happen to think he's not nearly aggressive enough and wasting a good opportunity to rebound simply because he's hell bent on doing it his way and on his time table. Hopefully it all works out and he'll prove me all wrong.

Why shouldn't he do it his way? Isn't that what his job is to do? To come in and build a team his way. That's why Bob Harlan hired him and demoted Mike Sherman. Let's be honest.. Your beef with Ted Thompson is he hasn't gone out and gave Favre the weapons to make one last run at glory. I think it's the fear that Favre is going to retire at any time. In my opinion Favre is going to play at least one and maybe two more years. He's not going anywhere. So my point with Ted Thompson is from what I gathered he's trying to bring in a youth movement and build a future around Brett Favre RIGHT NOW. It's certainly not impossible to build a Super Bowl Contender in 3 or 4 years around an aging QB. Denver was my example. Now if he does retire Green Bay can still move on with a core younger players. So while he hasn't done the greatest job, he's certainly not flushing this team down the toilet. I don’t think you can give him great praise yet and I don’t think you can criticize his philosophy this year. I think next year will be a fair assessment on how we stand and how good of a talent evaluator he really is and guys like Greg Jennings and our offensive lineman are going to play a key role in that.

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Porky said..
You can't buy a Super Bowl team. You have to build one and I think Thompson and the entire front office firmly believes they can build one around Brett Favre with in the next 2 years.

But when Porky..when..??

I think SlackerBacker is concerned, as are other people, that TT really has no intention of trying to "win now" with Favre as QB of the Packers and is perfectly content to sit back and draft more rookies and not take any chances at signing any FA's for Favre to compete with this year. He may be perfectly content to wait by further building a team of rookies that is meant for Aaron Rodgers to take over once Favre retires...be it this year or next..or the year after that!!!

Call it paranoid, but there are some people who believe that TT really wants to build this team around Rodgers because he's "his guy" and Favre isn't....

The proof, in my view, will be if TT takes the steps that need to be taken in FA to improve the GB offense and give FAvre the weapons and opportunity to win next year. You have to admit that TT's been more pre-occupied and busy developing the defensive side of the ball over the offensive side...

I hope he proves me wrong next year with some quality FA signings....but I don't know.

The proof will be in the putting, next year in FA...i guess.

slackerbacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Porky, obviously we disagree.

The bigger point I've tried to make w/ you TT supporters is, "TT had options" even though most of you will not admit it. Of course I knew you would attack and try to discredit my suggestions, yet I'll give you more. TT could have resigned Flanny back, spent money in FA or made a trade. Again, he had options.

He made his decision to do it his way as you suggested, now I/we have every right to hold him accountable for those decisions. On the other hand, the TT lovers do nothing but offer more excuses.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Porky, obviously we disagree.

The bigger point I've tried to make w/ you TT supporters is, "TT had options" even though most of you will not admit it. Of course I knew you would attack and try to discredit my suggestions, yet I'll give you more. TT could have resigned Flanny back, spent money in FA or made a trade. Again, he had options.

He made his decision to do it his way as you suggested, now I/we have every right to hold him accountable for those decisions. On the other hand, the TT lovers do nothing but offer more excuses.

TT lovers???

I love the Green Bay Packers.

Flanagan would of been a good fit for the Zone Blocking scheme but like you STATED he has been often injured in the previous years and he was obviously looking to cash in. He also hasn’t done anything special with the Houston Texans this year.

I think next year is the true test. His 1st year here he cut Wahle and Sharper and we still only had 6 million in cap to spend which isn't that much at all. Sure he could of gone out and spend all 6 million on one specific player but then Green Bay of ended up having to restructure some contracts and that can‘t be done by force.. Not an excuse that’s just a fact. Last year we had all kinds of options. I agree with that. Not in 05 but in 06 yes. Why did we have options? Ted Thompson made moves to fix our cap and gives us the money to spend. You can credit the guys who work for Thompson as well. Andrew Brandt being one of them. Not an excuse either. Just a fact that Thompson’ regime made the moves to clear up the cap and give us room to spend money last year and this year as well.

Your talking as if he did nothing at all last year? He brought in Marquand Manuel and that obviously hasn't worked out but it was something. That was a bad move but there were many good one’s. He resigned Ahman Green and Aaron Kampman. Both have worked out very well. He signed Charles Woodson and he's the highest paid CB in the NFL for this season. He signed Ryan Pickett who has had a solid season. He gave Donald Driver a contract extension. Driver is going to the Pro Bowl. All this in the off season. So he did do a lot of things last year. If anything he might've over evaluated some of our talent in some areas but overall he did a lot of things.

In fact Green Bay was one of the busiest teams in the off season. They made a lot of moves. Not an excuse. Just stated that they in fact made a lot of moves. With another off season like last they’re is no reason they can't contend next year. I've stated all along I'd give him 3 years and if I see no improvement I think a change is needed. Well last year was awful all over the place and he had to do some cleaning up. This year we've improved drastically. No reason why he can't make some of the moves your talking about and the team improve even more. I have confidence he can get the job done with Favre as our Quarterback and with this young up and coming offensive line.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts