you think james jones will cut back on the drops?

Packerfury

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think so. He seems to want it. And he has immense physical talent. Usually, when those two factors line up, good things happen.

Of course I could be wrnog and he could be just a lazy unmotivated player. But I don't think so. Rodgers wouldn't have wanted him back so bad if that was the case.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Great find man, great find. If you think about it, that is right, the most passes he dropped where over the shoulder, or at least in go routes.

If he does correct it, he's an elite WR. He dropped at least 4 TDs last season.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jones also has a history of bad, untimely fumbles and specifically against the Bears.

He needs to clean all that up. And I expect him too... remember Jennings had a horrible drop last year too.
And Jordy some in the Super Bowl.

Nobody catches em all.

realcaliforniacheese

A-Rods Boss
Reaction score
I think Jones will have a breakout season this year. He wants to be a starter and I am sure those drops in the playoffs and Superbowl stick in his craw. Just imagine if Jones elevates his game to the next level and Jordy Nelson follows suit. Add in Finnley and Grant and it won't matter who the Eagles have added.

GBPack2010

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Technically speaking I believe the article's right, Jones dropped less than Driver, it's just that his drops were like all big plays haha. Hope he fixes that to help a repeat effort. I don't think he'll have a "breakout" year per say since Finley's back but I do expect a 700 yard or so season with 5 TD which is still pretty damn good for a #3 WR.

Murgen

MechaPackzilla
Reaction score
Yeah, all Jones drops seemed like they were destined for TD's if he had caught em. Jennings dropped a beautiful pass against the bears that would have been a TD in the final regular season game if I recall.

Packer Ste

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am fairly confident Jones will have gotten the drops out of his system and will have a big year. Rodgers obviously likes him and he's not going to be asking to keep him on the team if he doesn't trust he can do the job.

Good enough for Rodgers, good enough for me!

packers020802

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Almost forgot that he dropped so many TD passes! Plus that drop / fumble vs the Bears cost us the game!

The one he dropped in garbage time in the blow out Vs the cowgirls cost me a spot in my FF leag. playoffs in my espn leag!!!! damn! I should text JJ and tell him he owes me $100!

He can afford it! he just got PAID!!

whos got 2 thumbs and is a Fantasy Football nerd.......... THIS GUY

Fazeman

Setting The Pace
Reaction score
James Jones would have been sucking scraps if Finley had not been injured. His staying power is just as vexing as was Justin Harrell's before he was cut.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No. I think it will continue to some extent for the remainder of his time with the packers.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
James Jones would have been sucking scraps if Finley had not been injured. His staying power is just as vexing as was Justin Harrell's before he was cut.

Is this a serious post? In the first four games while Finley was healthy, Jones caught 11 passes. That translates to 44 catches over a 16 game season. Jones finished with 50 catches. 6 fewer catches is "sucking scraps"? And if that's your opinion of Jones, what about Nelson who "only" caught 45 passes in the regular season?

Both Jones and Harrell were picked in the 2007 draft, as we all remember Harrell at #16 overall and Jones at #78 in the 3rd round. In 4 seasons Harrell played in 14 games and made 18 tackles with 10 assists. In the same time period Jones played in 58 games, caught 149 passes for 2,069 yards and 13 TDs. Leaving the expectations of a first rounder vs. a third rounder aside, how can one seriously post Jones' "staying power" is similar to Harrell's? Like all Packers fans I have been frustrated with Jones' dropping passes but c'mon.

AllouezPackerFan

Section 121 Row 47
Reaction score
Here's what I never understood about Driver. He will drop a pass on 3rd and 6 with no one within 4 yards of him, and on the next series he will make some crazy circus catch 35 yards down the field. He makes hard plays look easy. I still love him though.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Since we're in a James Jones thread, here's the info on his contract:
Insiders Blog: Jones?, Jenkins? new contracts - LockerPulse

Receiver James Jones’ new three-year contract with the Packers is worth $9.4 million and includes $3.75 million in first-year pay.

Also, defensive end Cullen Jenkins’ five-year contract with the Philadelphia Eagles pays him $3.875 million in the first year and $11.375 million in the first two years.

Jones’ contract had a $1.5 million signing bonus plus a $1.3 million base salary and $950,00 roster bonus for this year, for a $3.75 million first-year total. Next year he’ll make a $2.3 million base salary and $200,000 roster bonus ($2.5 million total), and in 2013 he’ll make a $2.95 million base salary and $200,000 roster bonus ($3.15 million total).

That is definitely TT's value. That man is a genius, I tell you.

In contrast, Steve Breaston's contract: 5 years, $25M, $9.5M guaranteed.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Another great job by Thompson being patient and letting the market set the price. No way would Jones have accepted those numbers last season or before finding out for himself how the market values him. Of course Thompson ran the risk of losing him but the roster is stacked and with the next man up, the offense would still have been potent. I'm glad he's back particularly at a price which doesn't screw up the Packers salary structure. This deal should make it somewhat easier to extend Jordy if Thompson wants to. And the 3-year modest deal (by NFL standards) should motivate Jones to succeed so he can cash in after two seasons (extension) or in free agency after 3 seasons.

According to ProFootballTalk the Packers are about $11M under the cap. The Packers are in great shape all around.

Fazeman

Setting The Pace
Reaction score
Is this a serious post? In the first four games while Finley was healthy, Jones caught 11 passes. That translates to 44 catches over a 16 game season. Jones finished with 50 catches. 6 fewer catches is "sucking scraps"? And if that's your opinion of Jones, what about Nelson who "only" caught 45 passes in the regular season?

Both Jones and Harrell were picked in the 2007 draft, as we all remember Harrell at #16 overall and Jones at #78 in the 3rd round. In 4 seasons Harrell played in 14 games and made 18 tackles with 10 assists. In the same time period Jones played in 58 games, caught 149 passes for 2,069 yards and 13 TDs. Leaving the expectations of a first rounder vs. a third rounder aside, how can one seriously post Jones' "staying power" is similar to Harrell's? Like all Packers fans I have been frustrated with Jones' dropping passes but c'mon.

My post was meant to vent frustration rather than anything in the literal sense. And as per my attached post from last year, a tongue lashing was in order for all receivers concerned.

Unlike our defensive players who did an excellent job in replacing injured players, most of the receiving corps literally dropped the ball.

http://www.packerforum.com/f8/dedicated-our-yellow-bellied-receivers-24122.html

98Redbird

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He better do something to impress me this year. Otherwise i'm going to be pissed that Aaron/Jennings/Driver went to bat for the guy. He's already dropped a few in practice from what I've read...

Jones had me hating him more than any other Packer during post season last year. Even more than Jarrett Bush. I was furious every time he dropped a potential TD... and unfortunately there was more than one in the postseason alone. He got lucky that it didn't cost us a championship, 9.9 times out of 10 if you let a score slip thru your fingers in the post season, you don't advance...

slaughter25

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm torn on the subject. I hope that he can, but i think that concentration during a big play is something that cannot be simulated. So he can only get more practice at getting over the root of the problem in a big play situation. I don't know how many more of his drops i really want to risk to see how steep the learning curve is.

Fazeman

Setting The Pace
Reaction score
He better do something to impress me this year. Otherwise i'm going to be pissed that Aaron/Jennings/Driver went to bat for the guy. He's already dropped a few in practice from what I've read...

Jones had me hating him more than any other Packer during post season last year. Even more than Jarrett Bush. I was furious every time he dropped a potential TD... and unfortunately there was more than one in the postseason alone. He got lucky that it didn't cost us a championship, 9.9 times out of 10 if you let a score slip thru your fingers in the post season, you don't advance...

You couldn't have said it better.

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
You couldn't have said it better.
I can say it better. Jones had a bad year, among many. However, nobody questions his potential. It's like alot of guys who think they are better than they are, but when you realize you're just THAT guy, you learn you have to do more, work harder, put in more hours.
I'm confident JJ will be a better WR than he's ever been on our team so far. I think this was an eye opener for a very gifted WR.
I still think Jordy is better and a greater asset but you're welcome to disagree.
JJ will correct his drops and be a force, he simply has to or be a has=been in the NFL.
He'll Get R Done

Fazeman

Setting The Pace
Reaction score
I can say it better. Jones had a bad year, among many. However, nobody questions his potential. It's like alot of guys who think they are better than they are, but when you realize you're just THAT guy, you learn you have to do more, work harder, put in more hours.
I'm confident JJ will be a better WR than he's ever been on our team so far. I think this was an eye opener for a very gifted WR.
I still think Jordy is better and a greater asset but you're welcome to disagree.
JJ will correct his drops and be a force, he simply has to or be a has=been in the NFL.
He'll Get R Done

You couldn't have said it better too. Because really, all of us want to see Jones play well. As for Nelson, he's still a bit of a newbie to me.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts