You stay classy, Minnesota

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
Ahhh the hacks at PFT.com are on the case... more fodder... :razz:

This can't be good for the focus of the team comming into Sunday.. ahhh the joy. :lol:

MINNESOTA MUTINY BREWING?

The decision of the Minnesota Vikings to dock receiver Troy Williamson a game check for missing the Week Nine contest against the Chargers due to the death of his grandmother apparently is having some unintended consequences for coach Brad Childress.

The move, as we hear it, is pushing some veteran players -- and some members of the coaching staff -- toward a revolt against Childress.

Even before the widely-criticized decision to withhold $25,000 and change from Williamson, there were strong signs of discontent. Presiding over a struggling offense and meddling (as we're told) with defensive coordinator Leslie Frazier's work has made Childress a target for quiet (to date) hostility.

The thinking is that the Williamson debacle could create major problems for Childress, unless the decision to take Williamson's game check is quickly reversed.

And we've got a feeling that, if this controversy continues to grow, owner Zygi Wilf might soon feel compelled to make a change, regardless of whether the Vikings run the table (highly unlikely) or rookie running back Adrian Peterson breaks the single-season rushing record (surprisingly possible). Family surely is important to Mr. Wilf, as evidenced by the presence of several folks with that same name at the top of the operation.

Besides, at a time when Wilf is trying desperately to find a way to finagle a new stadium for the Vikings, the P.R. fallout from a family-unfriendly personnel decision could make a steep climb even more treacherous.

So stay tuned. Our guess is that Childress, in a sheer act of self-preservation, will soon decide to give Williamson his game check. And it's entirely possible that Williams would politely tell Childress to stick the check up his own personal ATM.

Beyond 2007, we simply can't see these two men working for the same team. Though it's easy to assume that Williamson will be gone, we're not ready to rule out a termination of Childress.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
wow. that's some horrible ****. sinking ship.

kinda sad. Vikings looked like they were a couple pieces away (qb being a main one) from being contenders for a couple years. Now half the players hate their stupid head coach. And he IS stupid, and not for the docking pay thing.

V

Vikeman

kinda sad. Vikings looked like they were a couple pieces away (qb being a main one) from being contenders for a couple years. Now half the players hate their stupid head coach. And he IS stupid, and not for the docking pay thing.

Oh please...stop trying to make this story into something it's not. It will be forgotten about by next week.

It's not Wilf or the managment of the Vikings. Wilf has poured a ton of money into this team. He has even improved the training camp facilities. He was the first businessman to write a check to the city when the bridge fricking collapsed.

You and your minions are trying to make this into something it's not. I think this is the first time I have ever heard of a story like this in the nfl. Players know if they miss the game...they miss their check. I am not stupid though...If Brett Favre or Adrian Peterson would have missed the game...they most likely would have been paid. I think alot of this has to with Williamson sucking so much. It's not because the Packer fans here at Packerforum.com give a true ratz *** about Williamson's (or any other Vikings) feelings or treatment. Good Lord people get off your horse.

V

Vikeman

By the way...and give me some time to find it. I could have sworn when Favre was interviewed some years back he stated that if it were not for the painkillers...he would not have made through 96-97.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:

Oh please...stop trying to make this story into something it's not. It will be forgotten about by next week.

That's what I thought till I read this.

Your team is going down. Face it. New coach or new players. Ha.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
By the way...and give me some time to find it. I could have sworn when Favre was interviewed some years back he stated that if it were not for the painkillers...he would not have made through 96-97.

yeah that has something to do with Vikings\Funeral pay\Mutiny

good job.

lol.

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You and your minions are trying to make this into something it's not.

Really? PFT.com, NFL Network and ESPN are now the minions of Tromadz? Wow. Ya learn something new every week I guess.

I think this is the first time I have ever heard of a story like this in the nfl.

Me too. I haven't heard of a team being this heartless and impersonal.

It's not because the Packer fans here at Packerforum.com give a true ratz *** about Williamson's (or any other Vikings) feelings or treatment. Good Lord people get off your horse.

Sorry, it's kinda hard to hear you from way up here in first place, could you repeat that? :lol:

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pack_in_black said:
You and your minions are trying to make this into something it's not.

Really? PFT.com, NFL Network and ESPN are now the minions of Tromadz? Wow. Ya learn something new every week I guess.

I've got minions everywhere. Did you know John Madden LOVES the drunken game diary?

vikesrule

Cheesehead
Reaction score
T-Will did what he had to do...Family comes first and always.

As far as how Childress handled this, that doesn't surprise me. His decision making skills have so far proven to be lacking. And his "people" skills are non-existent.

Were Childress very good at his job, tolerances would be made. However due to his lackluster performance, he is fortunate not to be docked in pay for "non-performance" himself.

IMHO, Childress is an over-hyped "guru" with very few redeeming qualities.

“high standards, high morals and success.” - Zygi Wilf

LambeauEast

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am not stupid though...If Brett Favre or Adrian Peterson would have missed the game...they most likely would have been paid.

Pure speculation on my part here, but I'm pretty sure Favre wouldn't have missed the game. I'm also willing to climb out on a limb and say that even if Brett's own Father passed away, I don't know...like the day BEFORE a scheduled game, Brett would probably play. Call me kooky.

But that's not even the issue here. I promise that if a loved one of mine dies, I'm missing some work time as Williamson did. It just falls then into the hands of my employer to be a ****** or not, and well, Childress is a ****** and unclassy. And that IS the issue.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
T-Will did what he had to do...Family comes first and always.

As far as how Childress handled this, that doesn't surprise me. His decision making skills have so far proven to be lacking. And his "people" skills are non-existent.

Were Childress very good at his job, tolerances would be made. However due to his lackluster performance, he is fortunate not to be docked in pay for "non-performance" himself.

IMHO, Childress is an over-hyped "guru" with very few redeeming qualities.

“high standards, high morals and success.” - Zygi Wilf
Very objective post Vikerules!
I myself don't care which team it is, it was a sucky thing to do. Whether it's the Vikes, the Pack, the Raiders, whatever.....it sucks to dock a person at a time like that. My company gave me very little consoling. In fact, after hearing that my brother died, (i was supposed to return to work that next morning) i and my wife went into my work to tell the owner of the company that my brother died and that i would be missing a few more days the next week. You know what he said? "Be sure to bring in proof from the funeral director." Real caring, hey? Here i'm literally just back from my father in laws funeral, and thats the compassion i get. Thats how things are in todays world.
No one gives a rodents ****** when it comes to "business."

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Vikings would be a legit threat if their coach wasn't an ******.

Aren't there a couple games where AP didnt even get 20 carries and Chester had as many carries? Are you kidding?

Now he has a revolt against him, which is just odd to say. Vikings fans should hope he gets fired so they can get on the right track, cuz they're not too far behind.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Vikings would be a legit threat if their coach wasn't an ******.

Aren't there a couple games where AP didnt even get 20 carries and Chester had as many carries? Are you kidding?

Now he has a revolt against him, which is just odd to say. Vikings fans should hope he gets fired so they can get on the right track, cuz they're not too far behind.
My hope is that their owner "Ziggy Stardust" remains oblivious to what "Mr. Burns" is doing, and keeps him around for a LONG time. Heck, maybe we can get him to hire Matt Millen as their GM to make the destruction complete!!! :wink:

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Vikes' Williamson gets his last game check
/ Associated Press

Grieving Troy Williamson will get his last paycheck after all.
Minnesota Vikings coach Brad Childress announced the change of heart Saturday after a weekly meeting with veteran players on his leadership committee.

The Vikings withheld Williamson's check after he missed the game against San Diego last week to remain in South Carolina following the death of his grandmother.

"I think the important thing is everybody grieves differently," Childress said. "That's the thing that I learned, or we learned, in this. In the end, it's not important to be right, but to get it right."

In addition, Williamson's older brother Carlton has been in and out of coma after a car accident in September.

Williamson thanked those who spoke up for him and offered support to his family during a trying time. He said he'll donate the returned check of more than $25,000 to charity in honor of his grandmother, Celestine.

"My wish is that the issue is over, and that I can now go about being a football player and putting this matter behind me," Williamson said in a statement issued by his agent, David Canter.

Childress said Williamson would play Sunday against Green Bay "in all likelihood."

Williamson, the seventh overall selection in the 2005 draft who has produced little for Minnesota in 2 1/2 seasons, chose to stay home the entire week and not return for the win against San Diego.

The Vikings wanted the wide receiver back sooner, though, and docked him one paycheck for his absence.

In explaining the decision earlier this week, Childress pointed to other players who returned a day or two after deaths in the family.

"I think the whole approach and intent, as with any organization, is to have guidelines so you have some continuity and don't do it haphazardly," he said.

Childress, who called reporters with the news, said he should have been more flexible and indicated owner Zygi Wilf suggested he revisit the issue.

With sagging ticket sales and an unfulfilled drive for a new stadium, the Vikings (3-5) have been more proactive about public relations. Over the last several seasons, they've drawn criticism for a number of actions that have come across as rigid or cold.

Most memorably, they cut Marcus Robinson last Christmas Eve after the wide receiver fell out of favor with Childress.

NFL coaches don't often admit mistakes, but Childress has done that more than once in his second year on the job. After rookie running back Adrian Peterson carried the ball only twice in the second half of a loss to the Packers, Childress acknowledged two weeks later - after the team's bye - that the coaches weren't keeping close enough track of Peterson's touches.

The team will have to shell out another extra check this week after releasing quarterback Koy Detmer before the trip to Green Bay.

This came four days after he was signed as insurance after head injuries to Tarvaris Jackson and Kelly Holcomb. Holcomb's neck apparently improved enough in recent days for Minnesota to make the move.

Jackson is still a game-time decision, Childress said, following last week's concussion that knocked him out of the game against San Diego. Brooks Bollinger, who played well in relief, is the favorite to start Sunday.

Cornerback Ronyell Whitaker, who plays primarily on special teams, was re-signed to the roster after being cut to make room for Detmer.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Now.....who here honestly thinks that the outcry of the public had nothing to do with this sudden "change of heart"???
I think ol' Brad is trying to do a quick about face to try to make people think he's not a jerk.
I think that (pardon the expression) "ship" has already sailed! :wink: :lol:

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Now.....who here honestly thinks that the outcry of the public had nothing to do with this sudden "change of heart"???
I think ol' Brad is trying to do a quick about face to try to make people think he's not a jerk.

Company wide for Minnesota Employees ( from espn on the air debate about it )

3 days for spouse, child, parents, and in laws

1 day for any other relative..

so the way I see it, Minnesota did NOTHING wrong..They told him you get 3 days paid..

Now, say secretary for anyone in the MINNESOTA VIKINGS COMPANY has a grandmother pass away, and she wants 10 days PAID?

They would have to pay that secretary the same as they did for Williams

the only thing I see wrong in the whole matter was Chilly came across as a *****, even tho he followed company policy

****edit***

you are right bout them doing an about face alan..They really were in a BAD spot..
Williams went to the media to get the public on his side, which is what happened, the Vikings were put in such a tough spot they HAD no other choice

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know Jim..............i stated how i was treated by a company i worked for. The sad truth is, no company (at least any i have seen lately) seem to really care about their employees. You are a number, and if something happens to you, they replace you with another number. There's no loyalty on either side anymore. Not from the ownership/bosses or the workers.
Even if he didn't get that one paycheck, he still would make more in a year then most people make working hard 40 hours a week for 10 years.
I see both sides.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know Jim..............i stated how i was treated by a company i worked for. The sad truth is, no company (at least any i have seen lately) seem to really care about their employees. You are a number, and if something happens to you, they replace you with another number. There's no loyalty on either side anymore. Not from the ownership/bosses or the workers.
Even if he didn't get that one paycheck, he still would make more in a year then most people make working hard 40 hours a week for 10 years.
I see both sides.

There are exceptions.

Not meaning to take this way off topic, but some companies actually give a **** about their employees.

A certain company a friend of mine in Austin, TX works for definitely does. Get this - when the dot bomb hit, this company took it in the *** just like every other software company. But instead of laying off a single employee, the CEO got together with all the VPs and decided to take pay cuts for himself and all the VPs. That money saved was enough to not have to lay off a single employee.

As a former shareholder of that corporation, I was really happy to see that happen. Five years later, my friend is still there and is extremely happy working there.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
cheesey said:

Company wide for Minnesota Employees ( from espn on the air debate about it )

3 days for spouse, child, parents, and in laws

1 day for any other relative..

so the way I see it, Minnesota did NOTHING wrong..They told him you get 3 days paid..

Now, say secretary for anyone in the MINNESOTA VIKINGS COMPANY has a grandmother pass away, and she wants 10 days PAID?

They would have to pay that secretary the same as they did for Williams

the only thing I see wrong in the whole matter was Chilly came across as a *****, even tho he followed company policy

****edit***

you are right bout them doing an about face alan..They really were in a BAD spot..
Williams went to the media to get the public on his side, which is what happened, the Vikings were put in such a tough spot they HAD no other choice

The sad thing about this all is in some cases, the Grandparent IS the "parent" or closest relative. I'm sure most of us know people where this is the case.

This is especially true in the most dire circumstances, like poverty, when a parent gets hooked on drugs and the Grandparents take over, or when parents die. I personally know examples of all three. I'm thinking Williamson was an example of one of these, most likely poverty.

I'm glad MN changed their tune. This whole thing is very sad. I don't want to get into the finger pointing because it really accomplishes nothing. MN realized their mistake and corrected it, so it's all good now.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zombie.....it's great that you have an example of a GOOD company. That SHOULD be the rule, instead of the exception. It seems that if a company is started by a person, and that person actually RUNS the company, they seem to stay more family oriented. But when they sell out to bigger corporations (which usually happens) they lose that personal care.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
minnesota made no mistake in my opinion..they have a company WIDE rule on taking off for a death..

they stuck to that rule, but out of KINDNESS they decided to bend the rule for ONE guy that went public..

so now by past practices ( Williams case), change the employee manual concerning take of leave for a death

4thand26

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Vikeman said:
Pack93z said:
Yep just us Packer fans... we of course have picked up on it first.. being Viking week and all.

ESPN

And you don't think every NFL pregame show is not going to do at least a 5 minute piece on this topic...

It is another black eye within the PR realm for Ziggy...

Your right of course...although the Vikings have pretty much stayed out of the media this year. This non-issue of a story will wear off though. Sort of like having the star of a football team being an admitted drug addict...and admitting to needing those drugs to get him through some championship games...people tend to forget about it with time.

Facts should be correct if you are going to use them. Never did Brett Favre use Vicodin during any game. He used them to get through the week so that he could play on Sundays. As do most players use drugs for pain management during the week. Brett got to the point he used too many.

Anyone who has ever used Vicodin know clearly that one could not play football, make snap decisions, and play at a high level while on Vicodin.

So then Favre wasn't really addicted, since he could control when he would and would not take the drugs.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes, he was addicted. Thats why he put himself into rehab.
Now.......what was the reason you brought that up again? I mean, other then to TRY to somehow ruin the fact that we are the elite of the NFC, and the Bears are back to being, well, the Bears?
Oh.....it didn't get the effect you wanted by the way. :wink:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts