You stay classy, Minnesota

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3100835

every day that goes by... you need to pray to whomever it is you pray to.

And thank them, thank them so hard that Brad Childress isnt our coach.

EDIT: I take back what I said. After reading it twice, they didn't fine him. They just didn't pay him. I don't think this is right, but don't think it's as bad as what I thought they did.

V

Vikeman

Placing the word class and Wisconsin in the same sentence would be 100 times more ridiculous.

This happens all the time in the nfl...why is it a big deal for the Vikings?

Get a clue before you throw your Wisconsin beer belly around.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Placing the word class and Wisconsin in the same sentence would be 100 times more ridiculous.

Actually, Vikeman is right. You only get paid for playing.

It's not a fine. It's just a no pay for the missed game. This is common in the NFL. It's just sad the circumstances.

V

Vikeman

Vikeman said:

It's not a fine. It's just a no pay for the missed game. This is common in the NFL. It's just sad the circumstances.

And intelligence shines through again.

Players know when they sign their respective contracts that if they "miss" a game for whatever reason...they don't get paid. To much money is at risk for the orginization. So to paraphrase what zombie stated...it's a no pay. It was not retaliation towards Williamson because he decided to go to a funeral. This is why the sarcasm and cheap shots from the original poster are unwarranted and borderline retarded.

OP
OP
P

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zombieslayer said:
Vikeman said:

And intelligence shines through again.

Players know when they sign their respective contracts that if they "miss" a game for whatever reason...they don't get paid. To much money is at risk for the orginization. So to paraphrase what zombie stated...it's a no pay. It was not retaliation towards Williamson because he decided to go to a funeral. This is why the sarcasm and cheap shots from the original poster are unwarranted and borderline retarded.

happens all the time huh? yeah you do read about players not gettin paid for going going to their grandmothers funeral all the time. Its really a common occurence ESPN just chose to report it this one time.???

granted, it was a cheap shot and maybe a stretch. Its still just one little thing in a long long list of things that make the Vikings pathetic thats all.

regardless. im still thanking God every day Childress coaches the Vikings and not the Packers bub. you can pretend you like him, but we all know deep down you dont. you cant. its impossible.

PS not from Wisconsin.... and dont really have a beer belly. but nice try.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score

That statement was more of a cheap shot then what Pacnic posted. I think there's alot of class is Wisconsin. Are there some idiots? Of course. There are in ALL states and ALL fan bases.
I still think it's classless to not pay a player for going to the funeral of a close family member. Spouse, child, parent, sibling, or Grandparent. Maybe other teams do it too. Maybe if Favre would have taken off the game the day after his Dad died maybe he wouldn't have got paid either. I truely don't know. But to say "Placing the word class and Wisconsin in the same sentence would be 100 times more ridiculous." is the REAL cheap shot here.

V

Vikeman

Just to play Devil's Advocate....

What if it were reversed? What if an owner had to use the money designated to pay the players to, say, help rebuild NO or SD. Maybe help Tsunami victims. Would the NFLPA and the players themselves be OK with that? Would they just play for free for one week?

It's a business...not a soap opera. My job allows me one day of bereavement leave. If I miss anymore...it's taken out of my sick bank or I don't get paid. Far as I know...you don't accrue leave as an nfl player...so guess what...pay is docked. The only people taking shots at Minnesota for this are the ignorant, or they just flat out hate the Vikings.

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
Vikeman I think it is a little deeper than what you wish it to be.. not saying that it is cut and dry either.. but if breavement counts toward time served in the league...

Here is a little quip from the current CBA.. any time missed due to the below highlighted *MAY* count towards the accured playing time of said player for contract and free agency purposes.. *EDIT*

With that clause.. I would bet that an argument could be made for breavement pay and time.. don't know that the NFLPA would go after 25,000k.. but who knows..

(b) For the purposes of calculating Accrued Seasons under this Agreement, for any League Year
beginning with the 1993 League Year, a player shall not receive an Accrued Season for any League Year in
which the player is under contract to a Club and in which he failed to report to such Club at least thirty days
prior to the first regular season game of that season, or in which the player thereafter failed to perform his
contract services for the Club for a material period of time, unless he demonstrates to the Impartial Arbitrator
extreme personal hardship causing such failure to report or perform, such as severe illness or death in the
family
. The determination of the Impartial Arbitrator shall be made within thirty days of the application by the
player, and shall be based upon all information relating to such hardship submitted by such date. The
determination of the Impartial Arbitrator shall be final and binding upon all parties.

The other point you make comparing yourself to an NFL player is you are an "at will" employee and have very little binding leverage and benefits.. comparing the two is not practical...

For me, I really have little issue to the docking of the pay, because if he is entitled the NFLPA will go get the money. The way Chilly handled it in the media.. well not so compassionate at a time of hardship.

You have a death in the family.. and the next day at work your Boss say suck it up and move on.. what is your view of your employer at the moment?

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
For me, I really have little issue to the docking of the pay, because if he is entitled the NFLPA will go get the money. The way Chilly handled it in the media.. well not so compassionate at a time of hardship.

You have a death in the family.. and the next day at work your Boss say suck it up and move on.. what is your view of your employer at the moment?

Exaclty my thoughts..

How it was handle din the media, makes the Vikings look bad

V

Vikeman

Do you guys honestly believe that Childress and company went out of their way to make Williamson feel like sh*t? What did Childress say exactly about the death in Williamson's family that make it so harsh and media worthy? Did Childress really come out and say suck it up? Or did he just appear apathetic?

I'm confused...On other sports boards I'm a member of this is not even an issue...and most support the Vikings position. Strange it's a little different on a Packers site.

Pack93z

Reaction score
Yep just us Packer fans... we of course have picked up on it first.. being Viking week and all.

ESPN

And you don't think every NFL pregame show is not going to do at least a 5 minute piece on this topic...

It is another black eye within the PR realm for Ziggy...

DoddPower

Nick Perry is watching you, NFL QB's!
Reaction score
Poor vikings fans. Regardless of this, I'm glad Childress isn't our coach as well. Very VERY glad. Guy just looks like someone I don't want to have anything to do with.

V

Vikeman

Yep just us Packer fans... we of course have picked up on it first.. being Viking week and all.

ESPN

And you don't think every NFL pregame show is not going to do at least a 5 minute piece on this topic...

Your right of course...although the Vikings have pretty much stayed out of the media this year. This non-issue of a story will wear off though. Sort of like having the star of a football team being an admitted drug addict...and admitting to needing those drugs to get him through some championship games...people tend to forget about it with time.

V

Vikeman

Poor vikings fans. Regardless of this, I'm glad Childress isn't our coach as well. Very VERY glad. Guy just looks like someone I don't want to have anything to do with.

By the way...it's not "poor Viking fans"...it's poor Viking players. Neither I nor any Viking fan I know build their self-esteem through a football team. Childress is not my boss. I am a Viking fan....that's it. I am not part of the Vikings just like you don't play for the Packers. If the nfl shut down tommorow...life would go on for me. So it's not "poor Viking fans.

Pack93z

Reaction score
Your right of course...although the Vikings have pretty much stayed out of the media this year. This non-issue of a story will wear off though. Sort of like having the star of a football team being an admitted drug addict...and admitting to needing those drugs to get him through some championship games...people tend to forget about it with time.

Ahh but see here is the rub, that didn't make the organization seem cheap and cold..

Actually they helped address the events that you detailed out and it is now a story for which others will draw upon via his wife's book.

See, people helping people is a great play and story to inspire.. slapping a person in a time of need.. not so much.

You are correct it will pass, but for the moment and maybe the remainder of the year.. it will be played again and again to **** in the Vikings cheerios.. so to speak.

BobbyOShea

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DoddPower said:

By the way...it's not "poor Viking fans"...it's poor Viking players. Neither I nor any Viking fan I know build their self-esteem through a football team. Childress is not my boss. I am a Viking fan....that's it. I am not part of the Vikings just like you don't play for the Packers. If the nfl shut down tommorow...life would go on for me. So it's not "poor Viking fans.

Well, a lot of us are technically owners...

trippster

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pack93z said:

ESPN

Facts should be correct if you are going to use them. Never did Brett Favre use Vicodin during any game. He used them to get through the week so that he could play on Sundays. As do most players use drugs for pain management during the week. Brett got to the point he used too many.

Anyone who has ever used Vicodin know clearly that one could not play football, make snap decisions, and play at a high level while on Vicodin.

IronMan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Vikeman said:
Pack93z said:

ESPN

Facts should be correct if you are going to use them. Never did Brett Favre use Vicodin during any game. He used them to get through the week so that he could play on Sundays. As do most players use drugs for pain management during the week. Brett got to the point he used too many.

Anyone who has ever used Vicodin know clearly that one could not play football, make snap decisions, and play at a high level while on Vicodin.
Never let facts get in the way of a good story. :p

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
trippster said:
Vikeman said:
Pack93z said:

ESPN

Never let facts get in the way of a good story. :p
Yes.....SHAME on you Trippster for muddying the waters with those darn old FACTS!!! for SHAME!!! 8)

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Do you guys honestly believe that Childress and company went out of their way to make Williamson feel like sh*t? What did Childress say exactly about the death in Williamson's family that make it so harsh and media worthy? Did Childress really come out and say suck it up? Or did he just appear apathetic?

I'm confused...On other sports boards I'm a member of this is not even an issue...and most support the Vikings position. Strange it's a little different on a Packers site.
Unfortunatly, there are very few companies that give a damn about their employees anymore. The fact that these are high profile high paid atheletes brings it to the forefront. In 1994 my Father in law died. The day we got back from his funeral (which was in the U.P. of Michigan) I got a phone call at 10:30pm that my brother died. I got 2 days paid off for both. My brother died in Indiana, and it was several days before we got him home for the funeral. I worked those days in between, or i would have had no money. I remember how companies handled deaths when i was a kid.........companies were like extended family. Not any more. It's all about the money.
So it's a story, and the sports hounds will jump on it. None of us, Packer or Viking fans should hit each other over it. Just my view of course.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Vikeman said:

Unfortunatly, there are very few companies that give a damn about their employees anymore. The fact that these are high profile high paid atheletes brings it to the forefront. In 1994 my Father in law died. The day we got back from his funeral (which was in the U.P. of Michigan) I got a phone call at 10:30pm that my brother died. I got 2 days paid off for both. My brother died in Indiana, and it was several days before we got him home for the funeral. I worked those days in between, or i would have had no money. I remember how companies handled deaths when i was a kid.........companies were like extended family. Not any more. It's all about the money.
So it's a story, and the sports hounds will jump on it. None of us, Packer or Viking fans should hit each other over it. Just my view of course.

That's sad.

The Titanic (ship) when it sunk actually billed the families of the band that died with the ship (who sacrificed their lives to keep calm, true story) for their suits.

vike4life

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't care if you are a football player, a grocery clerk, a electrician, a auto salesman, a factory worker, or even a pilot. If you are on thin ice at your job, and Williamson is on thin ice, you had better get your butt to work. It is too bad he lost his grandmother. He should have taken 3, or 4 days, attended the funeral and got back for the game. How many games did Bret Favre miss when his father passed? 0.

Pack93z

Reaction score
How many games did Bret Favre miss when his father passed? 0.

And lets compare family structure (yes an assumption if his Grandmother raised him) because it sounds like most of the responsiblity feel to him and if memory serves he didn't return to Green Bay until the Saturday night before the game.

I am proud of Twill in his stance.. wish more took that one. Not bashing, but overall this country's stance on family is eating away at the very thread in which it should be built.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts