You make the pick

net

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I went to one of the sites that has info on Packers contracts/cap stuff...

http://members.cox.net/cappage/2005cap.htm

Here's a list of Packers players that are in the final year of their contracts, still unsigned but likely to sign for one year or in general are up for free agency next year...

A Green
M Flanagan
Bubba==
Longwell
Henderson
Grady J.
K.Barry
Nall
Davenport
Kampman
O Sullivan
Lenon
Ruegamer
Fisher
Peterson
Franz
Rob Davis
Bedell
Trulock
O Dwyer
Sander
J Lee
Curtin
Chatman
Jenkins
B Steele
---
There are many other 1 year players who are on the margin. The above are veterans. Will the Packers make some cuts this year to keep the cap in shape for next year?

You be TT and MAKE THE CALL!

Here's my call:
A Green: tough call. He's among the league's best...do you risk a long-term deal?
Flanagan--allow to go in free agency
Bubba-this year will determine whether to offer another contract
Longwell-must sign
Henderson-Decide if Luchey is the answer. If not, sign him one more year.
Grady-Age and injury. Sorry. Good guy let go.
K. Barry-offer him in trade unless guard situation isn't good. Tauscher still has years left on deal.
Nall-The path has to be cleared for Rodgers. Gone next year and sign vet for #3.
Davenport-last year with the Packers.
Kampman is a keeper unless supplanted by Jenkins or Peterson
Nall and O'Sullivan will battle for #2. Loser goes. Could be traded.
Lenon is too slow for Bates' defense. Gone this year.
Ruegemer is too versatile to cut.
Fisher is too versatile to cut, but not the everydown back. The Packers will have to acquire(or draft) a feature back if Green wants too much money.
Peterson must come on this year or be gone.
Franz is a vet, but likely won't make it this year.
Rob Davis should get a one year deal for eternity.
Bedell is the best option unless another one comes along.
Tru-lock not. Cut this year. Draft picks wasted.
O'Dwyre might not make the team this year.
Sander-wins the job in training camp or gone.
J Lee-beats the injury bug this year or gone.
Curtin should be cut this year.
Chatman should be cut this year. It's time to move on.
Jenkins should be signed to a long-term deal this year.
Ben"my hands are made of" Steele should be cut.

The Packers are full of guys like Curtin who aren't quite good enough to be outstanding, but good enough to hang on. They need an infusion of youth and talent. They also have aging vets needing deep contracts which they can't afford. 2006 could see a sub-500 year.

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
maybe it was done previously, but I'll add my $0.02 anyway.

I generally agree, except...

Flanny...worth keeping
Ahman...he's going to want big $$$, and yeah he's great, but aging, and with a solid o-line, rbs can be a dime a dozen, relative to other needs on the team.

Jenkins...not sold on quite yet...not sure about a long term.

HatestheEagles084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
net said:
Are we accountable for threads posted months ago?

exactly...

as of late i've been to this site only every 3-4 days...nothing personal, its just this isnt' exactly peak time for football talk...

William Henderson retires a Packer

Mike Flanagan...after this year, you'll see how important he was to this line, I expect the line to rebound perfectly despite the two losses.

If Ahman Green plays like in '03, we have no choice but to re-sign him...if his trend of getting worse, like in '04, worsens, we may have no choice but to let him go, unless he takes a lower contract

Najeh Davenport...contingent on Ahman

Tony Fisher...never been a big Fisher fan, good at a lot of areas, but not outstanding at any, good to have around when needed, had a few nice games filling in...

Bubba Franks needs to stay, too big of a target inside the red zone, maybe it's time to start developing a tight end behind him, someone who is more of a downfield threat, but Bubba's gotta stay

Truluck--every time I'll hear that name I'll think, "wow TWO draft picks?"...unless he sees significant improvement under bates he's gone

-Ruegamer can play almost any position on the line, keep him
-Kevin Barry is a good run blocking extra tackle
-Matt O'Dwyer...is he gonna start this year, last I heard it was going to be Ruegammer and Klemm at the guard positions, Whitticker and Coston are also on the depth charts, O'Dwyer might not be worth keeping around

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts