WR Shaun Bodiford signed

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
packers.com:

The Green Bay Packers Monday placed wide receiver Robert Ferguson on injured reserve and claimed wide receiver Shaun Bodiford on waivers from the Detroit Lions. Executive Vice President, General Manager and Director of Football Operations Ted Thompson made the announcement.

Bodiford, a 5-foot-11, 186-pound rookie out of Portland State, made his NFL debut at St. Louis Oct. 1. He played in three games, recording one tackle on special teams. During the preseason, Bodiford also returned kickoffs and punts for Detroit.

A first-team All-Big Sky Conference selection as a 2005 senior at Portland State, Bodiford caught at least one pass in all 22 of his Division I games after transferring from junior college.

Ferguson, in his sixth season out of Texas A&M, sustained a foot injury at Philadelphia, Oct. 2. The receiver had been inactive each of the Packers' last two games.

On Green Bay's roster, Bodiford is listed as No. 19. Wide receiver Carlton Brewster now will wear No. 13.

PackerLegend

Cheesehead
Reaction score
told ya Ferg would go on IR. thats not good enough i want him off of our team all he does is take up a roster spot. Do we have a free roster spot again?

PackerLegend

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Shaun Bodiford
Position: WR
Class: Sr
School: Portland State
Conference: Big Sky
Ht., Wt.: 5-11, 187
40 Time: 4.52
Grading System

BIO: Starter the past two seasons, leading the team in receiving as a senior with 51/545/5 and 40/587/5 the prior year.

POSITIVES: Consistent pass catcher best in underneath coverage. Sells routes, adjusts to the errant throw and looks the ball into his hands. Extends to consistently make the reception away from his frame. Throws his body around the field to make the catch and keeps the play in bounds running after the reception.

NEGATIVES: Not a big, strong or sturdy wideout. Lacks deep speed and a second gear.

ANALYSIS: Showing progress the past two years, Bodiford has an outside shot to make it as a fifth receiver in the NFL should he excel on special teams.

PROJECTION: Undrafted Free Agent

2005 Receiving Statistics
Receptions Receiving Yards Yards Per Reception Touchdowns
51 545 10.69 5

2005 Rushing Statistics
Rushing Yards Attempts Average per Rush Touchdowns
79 13 6.08 1

Reaction score
why is is that everytime we sign a WR, i always say to myself 'who dat?' LOL!

:lol:

Perhaps you're suffering from memory lapses? :p

Seiously though, I'd rather we bring WR Carlton Brewster to the active roster, he showed flashes of great stuff during the pre-season. Could use someone on KR and especially on PR to replace Woodson.

OP
OP
tromadz

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Kinda like when we got Greg "Who?" Jennings in the draft?

I know i didnt know who he was. Lets hope he contributes!

Raider Pride

Cheesehead
Reaction score
4packgirl said:

Kinda like when we got Greg "Who?" Jennings in the draft?

I know i didnt know who he was. Lets hope he contributes!

I respect you, as well as all posters on Packer Forum becuase we are here and we are fans.

Trom, You are a passionate Packer and football fan. The question I have is... What is the point of signing and or drafting a W.R. that we can not keep?

What is the point of signing someone if we can not keep them. As a Packer fan, I am not real happy about developing WR's for the N.F.L.

Now, if the Green Bay Packers were the Durham Bulls http://www.durhambulls.com/ I could get into it and put my support behind players that I supported and saw develop from the coaching and support of my team. I could cherish their development and watch them move on and succeed.

Let's look at who Brett could have been throwing to this year.

Javaon Walker, Terry Glen, and Donald Driver.

Ferguson would not even be the burdon on the cap.

I am not *****ing, this is the nature of the NFL. However have a question.

A serious question.

If you were a WR.... Why would you want to get away and get out Green Bay, the team with Brett throwing you the ball?

Why is Walker on the verge of a Pro Bowl appearance catching passes from Jake the Mistake.

Why is Glen agqain having a very good year, and did so right after he was run out of Green Bay.

Now, I do not know the answers.... I am asking for feed back. ALSO I am not trashing Brett or the Packers.

This is a forum, there are some wise posters here, I am just looking for some feed back.

Think for a moment what Brett would have with Walker, Driver, Jennings, and Glen. Think for a moment how much better Young Jennings would be two years from now with that group around him to learn from.

Just wondering and looking for feed back.

RP

OP
OP
tromadz

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have no idea what this has to do with Shaun Bodiford and i am seriously confused. I will just conceed and say you are right(we might even be saying the same thing, i dunno, thats how confused i am).

Raider Pride

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The point is.... Why is it the Packers WR's seem to be developed, built, and then bolt.

Bolt as is leave.

Leave as in why did we not work it out.

Out as in out of tallent after it is developed.

It is not a difficult thing to understand.

OP
OP
tromadz

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Walker is the only one that was developed in GB and then left.

Glenn...sure as hell wasnt developed in GB.
Ferguson...I wish he WOULD leave.

so...yeah, just Walker is my answer, and why? Cuz Walker is a ******, and cant man up like Driver\Kampman when it comes to contracts? WHY? cuz the NFL is built to treat these men like babies, and will get their way 9 out of 10 times unfortunately.

Raider Pride

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Trom,

Great answer.

I love you, and I say that with a 46 year perfect and un-blemished record of hetrosexuality.

The bottom line is this...

All of them learned from Brett. I am a firm believer in that. Give me a QB that throws a 259 mile an hour rocket, catch 49 of those and you will be a better reciever when you move on.

All of the them learned you never.. never,,,, ever gvie up on your route. Why do you never give up, becuase Brett is going to get you the ball when most Q.B's could not or would not want.

Can you imagine just for a moment if a YOUNG Randy Moss was a Packer. Randy is the ultimate, I give up on this route talent in the NFL. He is also the most I need the ball W.R. in the NFL.

If Randy had Brett throwing him the ball, I bet you my life Randy would never give up on a route. Never.

Brett has made many W.R.'s so much better.

It just makes me sad that the players he made better are now reaping the benifits in another city.

That is a question .... The front office has to answer to.

PackFanInSC

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Shaun Bodiford
Position: WR
Class: Sr
School: Portland State
Conference: Big Sky
Ht., Wt.: 5-11, 187
40 Time: 4.52
Grading System

BIO: Starter the past two seasons, leading the team in receiving as a senior with 51/545/5 and 40/587/5 the prior year.

POSITIVES: Consistent pass catcher best in underneath coverage. Sells routes, adjusts to the errant throw and looks the ball into his hands. Extends to consistently make the reception away from his frame. Throws his body around the field to make the catch and keeps the play in bounds running after the reception.

NEGATIVES: Not a big, strong or sturdy wideout. Lacks deep speed and a second gear.

ANALYSIS: Showing progress the past two years, Bodiford has an outside shot to make it as a fifth receiver in the NFL should he excel on special teams.

PROJECTION: Undrafted Free Agent

2005 Receiving Statistics
Receptions Receiving Yards Yards Per Reception Touchdowns
51 545 10.69 5

2005 Rushing Statistics
Rushing Yards Attempts Average per Rush Touchdowns
79 13 6.08 1

The positives sound good for our version of the WC offense. The negatives sound like so many other WRs that we have had (not big or sturdy with no breakaway speed). How long before he gets injured?

Cdnfavrefan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think all teams would have players they feel they've devloped and then have left. It's the nature of a salary cap leageu. Take any team from 6 years ago and find if even half the same guys are still there. Might as well bring in the kid and give him a try. Not much to lose at this point

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
How many seasons does Ferguson have left on his contract???

This year was one to many IMO...

Hopefully with him on the ir now, they might do an injury settlment and cut the ties that bind..

retiredgrampa

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I read on another forum that the Lions were high on this kid; why he was put on waivers, I don't know. He does have good speed, though, 4.4 40, I believe. In any case, he's now a Packer and I'm all for him.

yooperfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wonder why the lowley Lions got rid of this kid.
It couldn't be that they have so many players better than him, could it.
With Mutty Millen at the helm over there you just can't figure what's going on.
I hope this kid can be at least a special teams terror although he certainly isn't a very big lad.

Bobby Roberts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wonder why the lowley Lions got rid of this kid.
It couldn't be that they have so many players better than him, could it.
With Mutty Millen at the helm over there you just can't figure what's going on.
I hope this kid can be at least a special teams terror although he certainly isn't a very big lad.

Considering Millen is running the show, I don't really have confidence that his talent was evaluated correctly.

I don't understand the change in logic behind WRs in GB. During the offseason we dumped Chatman because he was too small. Now we're getting guys who are similar to him, small and quick with good hands. Chatman caught something like 40 passes last season and always gave 100% effort. Seems that TT was a little too hasty in that decision also.

Bobby Roberts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Raider Pride said:
Trom,
I love you, and I say that with a 46 year perfect and un-blemished record of hetrosexuality.

I didn't know that's an accomplishment?? :)

As for your original question, Glenn was pushed aside to give more playing time for Fergie and Walker to develop. TG didn't want to be the #3 or 4 WR, he's a better WR than that. With the emergence of Driver and the potential of the 2 young guys, it made sense not to spend too much for Glenn.

The Walker situation was a mess-up on both sides. TT promised Walker a new contract when he came back last year. Walker got injured at the start of the season and then TT was unwilling to renegotiate. He could have easily negotiated a similar deal Walker got in Denver, an incentive ladden deal. If Walker didn't come back from the injury as well, then he wouldn't get as much money. TT balked at an renegotiation, so Walker cried and whined until he got traded.

If we had a WR line-up with Driver, Glenn, Walker and Fergie, then I doubt we would have drafted Jennings this year. As it stands, next year's line-up will likely be Driver, Jennings, Robinson, Fergie and Martin. That's a pretty good group of young, talented WRs. We can play the shoulda, coulda, woulda game all we like, but it appears that we're not that bad off with our group of young wideouts.

GO PACK GO!!!

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Raider Pride said:

RP

I'm assuming you don't know what went down with Javon Walker.

Packers could NOT have kept him without causing a ripple effect of damage within the organization. If the Packers would have caved in to his outrageous demands the fans would ***** about the next person who does it. Then when the Packers don't have the cap space to sign big name free agents fans will ***** about caving in to every rookie who has ONE good year.

Javon Walker would have gotten his due if he kept his mouth shut. He should have kept his wish of more money behind closed doors. The Packers are known for waiting til thte last year of the contract before renegotiating or extending it. IF the player has proven through YEARS of performance (ie Donald Driver) they bend that 'rule'.

I loved Javon and still do, but he is the reason he is not a Packer and he is more at fault than the Packers staff. Remember, Brett said Javon was the ONLY receiver he has ever had in his career where all he had to do was throw it in Javon's direction and he knew he'd come down with it. You really think the Packers would have let someone like that leave knowing Brett's appreciation for him and developing a young QB in Aaron Rodgers?

Stop the talk about Javon 'could' be here because he chose to leave, not the Packers. Put fault on the right area, Javon. I miss him greatly and wish it would have worked out differently and **** when I see him play I still hope somehow some way we get him back. Just face the facts. Javon chose to leave. The Packers wanted to retain him but couldn't do anything when you consider the position he put them in publicly.

BryanAschenbrenner

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Raider Pride said:

RP

I'm assuming you don't know what went down with Javon Walker.

Packers could NOT have kept him without causing a ripple effect of damage within the organization. If the Packers would have caved in to his outrageous demands the fans would ***** about the next person who does it. Then when the Packers don't have the cap space to sign big name free agents fans will ***** about caving in to every rookie who has ONE good year.

Javon Walker would have gotten his due if he kept his mouth shut. He should have kept his wish of more money behind closed doors. The Packers are known for waiting til thte last year of the contract before renegotiating or extending it. IF the player has proven through YEARS of performance (ie Donald Driver) they bend that 'rule'.

I loved Javon and still do, but he is the reason he is not a Packer and he is more at fault than the Packers staff. Remember, Brett said Javon was the ONLY receiver he has ever had in his career where all he had to do was throw it in Javon's direction and he knew he'd come down with it. You really think the Packers would have let someone like that leave knowing Brett's appreciation for him and developing a young QB in Aaron Rodgers?

Stop the talk about Javon 'could' be here because he chose to leave, not the Packers. Put fault on the right area, Javon. I miss him greatly and wish it would have worked out differently and **** when I see him play I still hope somehow some way we get him back. Just face the facts. Javon chose to leave. The Packers wanted to retain him but couldn't do anything when you consider the position he put them in publicly.

Javon is a whiny assed baby. Sure, he played well, but players who get uptight about contract deals need to realize how much better off they are than the majority of people in the world, and are the playing the game for the wrong reason.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Raider Pride: As trom has said, Walker was the only one who was developed in Green Bay and then left. Glenn was just here for a year. I always thought that Glenn was a poor fit for the West Coast offense. He had to run all those short routes and get his clock cleaned when he made the catches. The Cowboys have him running a lot of deep patterns, which is when he is at his best.

I don't know exactly what went down with Walker. I was not impressed with him taking his greivance to the public, but beyond that, I don't know who's fault the whole mess was. It was Walker's at least to some extent, but I don't know about Thompson.

Bottom line is the Packers have made reasonable efforts to bring in good wide receivers, but they had some bad luck. Ferguson showed just enough promise to get a long-term contract, then he started getting injured all the time. Murphy suffered a freak neck injury just a few games into his rookie season and his career was over. But Driver should still have at least a few good years in him and Jennings looks like a rising star. With a solid #3 guy, our receving corp could be the best it's been in awhile. I think Ruvell "The Rooster" Martin could be part of a good rotation, though more likely as a #4.

big3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
that's 2 crappy recievers the lion's have gotten rid of this year. Bodiford and Bradford. Too bad the cap hit would be too much to get rid of Mike Williams. Both Bradford and Bodiford got more playing time than him. Bodiford is a good special teams player. He won't do much as a reciever though. At least he didn't as a Lion.

Members online

Latest posts