Wr Marshall to Green Bay???

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Marshall to GreenBay? - Acme Packing Company

It's just speculation, I believe, since I haven't heard this anywhere else. But this isn't a good deal.

CONS
1) Despite of his age, Driver has shown that he has AT LEAST 3 more years of elite football. And boy that is elite.
2) Lee is a very good TE. Okay, maybe Finley will surpass him eventually, could happen even in this season, but Lee still gets the job done a lot better than most in the league, if you would account the passing game AND the running game
3) We don't need a primadonna wr on our team. His attitude is very questionable, and he wouldn't be the go-to-guy on our team. That's Jennings job. And he would want the ball.

PROS
1) Even if he wants a lot of money, it's not like Driver is playing for free. He costs us a ton (DESERVEDLY). It wouldn't be so bad cap wise to get Marshall and trade away Lee and Driver.
2) He's a stud. He's big, unlike our other Wrs. He would make Aaron's life a lot easier. Getting pressured? Throw the ball high, and he'll come down with it. Cutler made a living in Denver doing that. He's sure handed. HE BLOCKS LIKE A MANIAC. He may be a primadonna, but he doesn't take plays off, and he certainly plays to win.
3) In GB, he wouldn't be able to pull it like he's done in Denver. He wouldn't have the spotlight in there. If he creates trouble, we would simply put him away, and that wouldn't effect our team one bit. Don't want to play? Nelson, Jones and Finley will take your spot. Simple as that.

-
A 34 year old Wr and a medium veteran TE for a Stud, playmaker, surehanded, young Wr? Are you kidding me? DO IT NOW! Well, that's what I would say, if the afforementioned 34 year old receiver wasn't BETTER than the young WR, and didn't appear that he would still be better than the wr for 2 or 3 more years. But I won't be exactly sad if it happens either.

DonnieCash

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I dislike this quite a bit. And I don't see it happening.

Didn't Driver just restructure a deal not to long ago?

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
A) If this is real, Thompson shouldn't hesitate. Jennings/Marshall would rival Fitz/Boldin for best tandem in the NFL.

B) I won't believe it's real until it happens. I've been hurt before (Randy Moss).

Murgen

MechaPackzilla
Reaction score
Interesting but rumors are rumors. No way would a trade a LEADER like Driver for a guy that throws temper tantrums when he doesn't like something in the organization. We don't need a guy who thinks he is bigger than the team <cough..Farve...cough>

Driver is clutch man. Remember the Championship game. Seemed like he was the only dude that showed up to play to win. Bet he wanted to punch Favre in the face after that pick in OT.

Sorry, back to the topic at hand. Our WR corps is stocked with great players. I just don't see the need for us to take a risk on upsetting what ain't broken.

Marshall has behavior problems and is injury prone. Not to mention he trips over McDonald's bags and into TVs..

ThinkICare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not quite sure about this. Brandon Marshall is a proven stud. I would have a hard time seeing Driver on another team. It would be tough. I'm fine with letting Lee go and maybe a few draft picks, MAYBE. I looked him up though, he seems to carry a lot of baggage though. Not sure if he would be the right fit with the pack.

OP
OP
PackersRS

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sorry Jess, last time I checked, Driver has been posting 1000 seasons since Jerry Rice was still playing. He's better than Boldin.

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
Sorry Jess, last time I checked, Driver has been posting 1000 seasons since Jerry Rice was still playing. He's better than Boldin.
Comparing whole careers to this point, sure. But at this current moment, i'll take Boldin.

Thinking about it though, they're closer than I initially thought, i'll give you that.

ThinkICare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A big question is "is Leroy Butler a credible source?". It doesn't seem as though this story is being covered by any other journalists.

ThinkICare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
All I really found when I googled this was rumors of Marshall to the Bears.

Yeah, it seems a little suspect when that was the only real site saying anything about Marshall to the Packers. Not a good sign that this rumor is holding any weight whatsoever.

OP
OP
PackersRS

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, the source is Butler, saying that Driver told him. I don't know what to think of it's credibility. I really doubt that if this was true, that it would come out before it was finalized. It's Driver we're talking about.

ThinkICare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You're probably right PackersRS, Driver doesn't seem like the sort of guy to leak info like this. You never know though, maybe he lost his cool when he found out that he was going to be traded, Driver is still human.

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
Well, the source is Butler, saying that Driver told him. I don't know what to think of it's credibility. I really doubt that if this was true, that it would come out before it was finalized. It's Driver we're talking about.

Hypothetically, if this is true (and I won't believe it until it comes out of Jay Glazer or Adam Schefter's mouth), I would imagine Driver would be very angry and vent to someone. Could be that he vented to Butler.

The more I think about it, this can't be true. It would take massive balls to trade the two most recognizable Packers in successive seasons. It would take balls so big, I don't think any man is capable of it. I think Thompson would have a fan rebellion on his hands that would double the size of last year's. I'd fear for his dog's life.

danielchile

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It would be lame. Yeah, I know Marshall is great, but I bet that would pretty much ruin our season.

We don't need any media circus. We have a great team, with great leaders that is playing excellent football. We can't just ship away Driver. That would lead to problems in the locker room.

Beside, Marshall is a class A jack***. He couldn't stay out of trouble even when Shanahan was in Denver. Off field issues and stuff. We get him, then he gets a D.U.I. and 2 games suspension.

Maybe in the future IF and only IF he grows up. Right now he is just a petulant kid.

OHIOFAN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think that this would be a bad move. I agree with the idea of bringing in a younger guy with tons of upside for a guy who is likely on his way down, but Driver is still a very good wide receiver who has chemistry with Rodgers. Right now the offense is clicking, why mess with that? I may be wrong, but I don't see Marshall being content to be the Packers #2 guy behind Jennings. If the O was struggling I would be all for the trade to kind of help jump start it, but the move could back fire. Lets keep the WR group the way it is and try and work out a deal for Larry Johnson for we have a stud back. I think that the change of teams would help rebound his career and give the Pack some major help in an area they are just OK at.

danielchile

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think that this would be a bad move. I agree with the idea of bringing in a younger guy with tons of upside for a guy who is likely on his way down, but Driver is still a very good wide receiver who has chemistry with Rodgers. Right now the offense is clicking, why mess with that? I may be wrong, but I don't see Marshall being content to be the Packers #2 guy behind Jennings. If the O was struggling I would be all for the trade to kind of help jump start it, but the move could back fire. Lets keep the WR group the way it is and try and work out a deal for Larry Johnson for we have a stud back. I think that the change of teams would help rebound his career and give the Pack some major help in an area they are just OK at.

2006 killed Larry Johnson

ThinkICare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Ryan grant doesn't do well again this season, the Pack need to do something about the RB position whether it be high draft pick or a trade of sorts.

OHIOFAN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know that LJ has gone down hill as of late. I still like how he runs with power and seems to be PD off all the time when on the field. I guess there is no guarantee that he will be any better then Grant. I just think that this offense will explode with a dominate running game. Rodgers can really sell the play action then.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
heard it again today on wssp out of milwaukee

Butler said HIS SCENARIO ( not sure iof Driver told him at all) was that packers trade Driver and KAMPMAN for Marshall and a defensive lineman player other then a starter

I had to leave the car so not sure what else was said about it..

but from listening it sounded more like WHAT IF

OP
OP
PackersRS

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, that would be an even worse trade. I can consider a Driver+Lee for Marshall (which would still be a bad trade), but Driver+Kampman, for Marshall and a lineman on the worst NFL D? No thank you.

OHIOFAN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I might agree with Kampman and Lee, but Driver should stay put. He is a clutch receiver, the Pack already has Jennings as a deep threat. Lets not try and fix and offense that is clicking like no other so far this preseason.

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
Hypothetical: What if we just gave them our 1st rounder next year and nothing else? I think they'd probably take it. I'd be all for it. Jennings on one side, Marshall on the other, Driver in the slot working the middle of the field where he's best.

Sounds like a win win to me. I'd imagine that first rounder would be a mid 20's pick anyways, so normally you won't get anybody too great with it. Certainly not someone who's already proven they can catch a ball 100 times a season like Marshall has.

OP
OP
PackersRS

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hypothetical: What if we just gave them our 1st rounder next year and nothing else? I think they'd probably take it. I'd be all for it. Jennings on one side, Marshall on the other, Driver in the slot working the middle of the field where he's best.

Sounds like a win win to me. I'd imagine that first rounder would be a mid 20's pick anyways, so normally you won't get anybody too great with it. Certainly not someone who's already proven they can catch a ball 100 times a season like Marshall has.
I'd rather have that spent on a lineman, either D or O. Or a stud RB, if it so happens to fall on our lap. But I don't know the quality of next year's draft at those positions. And Marshall would be certainly better than any Wr that will come out of the draft, at least for 2010.

ThinkICare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Next year's draft will be filled with talented O-Lineman. Not so much with Running Backs . It looks like there will be some talented D-Lineman too. We don't need another WR but next year's draft will be deep at WR. Dez Bryant, Dezmon Briscoe, Eric Decker, Jordan Shipley to name a few.

Members online

Latest posts