OP
FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Einstein McFly

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He doesn't seem to play nearly as fast as his numbers, and considering how polished Adams and Aberderus are, I suspect he'll have to be the next Brett Swain WR special teamer. More likely, he'll be on the practice squad.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
He doesn't seem to play nearly as fast as his numbers, and considering how polished Adams and Aberderus are, I suspect he'll have to be the next Brett Swain WR special teamer. More likely, he'll be on the practice squad.
We should have learned our lesson from Charles Johnson, he won't make PS, somebody will grab him.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
According to an analysis last year by DraftMetrics, vertical leap and 10-yard split are the two most valuable predictors of NFL success for wide receivers (40-yard dash is nearly meaningless). Janis had the second-fastest 10-yard split at 1.47, just 0.01 second behind Dri Archer. That indicates exceptional acceleration and efficiency getting off the line. With any luck, Janis might just be our next Driver (7th round Packer HOF WR.)

H

HardRightEdge

The issue with Myles White is his weight. He was awfully slight at 6'1", 182 when measured at the the 2013 combine. Also, he was IRed with a meniscus tear last season that did not require surgery.

If he's healthy and has been able to put on 15 lbs. with no meaningful loss of speed, I'd make him the odds on guy to take the #5 spot. That's several "ifs", but minor meniscus tears are common and not typically threatening and he has the frame to build up some NFL poundage.

Dylan Hoppe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The issue with Myles White is his weight. He was awfully slight at 6'1", 182 when measured at the the 2013 combine. Also, he was IRed with a meniscus tear last season that did not require surgery.

If he's healthy and has been able to put on 15 lbs. with no meaningful loss of speed, I'd make him the odds on guy to take the #5 spot. That's several "ifs", but minor meniscus tears are common and not typically threatening and he has the frame to build up some NFL poundage.

If he put on some bulk, enough to prevent injuries and is still just as fast. Hello Desean Jackson 2.0 and one of the best deep threats on the roster (without the gang member aspect)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

H

HardRightEdge

If he put on some bulk, enough to prevent injuries and is still just as fast. Hello Desean Jackson 2.0 and one of the best deep threats on the roster (without the gang member aspect)

I wouldn't jump that 2.0 gun. And added bulk is not just about injury prevention; it has to do with handling press coverage, shoving off DBs to get separation or positioning on a jump ball, breaking tackles from time-to-time, and perhaps playing gunner.

It sounds awfully pedestrian, but who fills the the end-of-the-bench spots often comes down to special teams, and gunner is typically filled by WRs or DBs with some long speed. I don't think a guy can play gunner at 180 lbs.; he typically has to get around 2 blockers.

Dylan Hoppe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wouldn't jump that 2.0 gun. And added bulk is not just about injury prevention; it has to do with handling press coverage, shoving off DBs to get separation or positioning on a jump ball, breaking tackles from time-to-time, and perhaps playing gunner.

It sounds awfully pedestrian, but who fills the the end-of-the-bench spots often comes down to special teams, and gunner is typically filled by WRs or DBs with some long speed. I don't think a guy can play gunner at 180 lbs.; he typically has to get around 2 blockers.

If you watch white in college, he was a deep threat. He actually did remind me of Jackson without the attitude every time he did something good. I didn't say that was the only reason he needed to bulk up either ;)

H

HardRightEdge

Not previously discussed here, I don't think, is that Adams impact will likely first be noted in the red zone, though perhaps not immediately.

Our red zone TD % was uncharacteristically poor last season; I attribute that largely to Jennings absence. Jennings made hay on the slant-in-or-slant-out unpredictability off a quick break. Adams, on the other hand, has all the makings of a guy who can to up get it with good body control coupled with good hands.

Two different kinds of weapons, but both have the qualities to make hay in tight quarters.

When I've observed the Jennings affect in the past, I was countered with "no, we miss Finley there". I would counter that by saying in previous years our red zone success was solid whether Finley was on the field or not. The missing "x" factor last season was Jennings.

D

Deleted member 6794

Packers and Janis have agreed to terms as well. No financial details released so far.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jennings is the best reciever the packers have had since sterling. We prob did miss him in the red zone. I'm still hoping Finley clears and we get him back he was really playing good last year before he got hurt. That 1.47 split for Janis is impressive along with his 6.64 3 cone drill and 20 reps at 225 and 37 " vertical. So he is strong fast and quick and he can jump as long as he can catch the ball he should develop into a very good player.

OP
OP
FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
According to an analysis last year by DraftMetrics, vertical leap and 10-yard split are the two most valuable predictors of NFL success for wide receivers (40-yard dash is nearly meaningless). Janis had the second-fastest 10-yard split at 1.47, just 0.01 second behind Dri Archer. That indicates exceptional acceleration and efficiency getting off the line. With any luck, Janis might just be our next Driver (7th round Packer HOF WR.)
Wait a minute..... they say Janis is not athletic, not "really" that fast or quick.
Does he have "deceptive" speed like they said about Jordy Nelson and Eric Decker for some reason?

Then they tell us Janis is "raw" because he played against subpar competition.
So ironic it all is.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wait a minute..... they say Janis is not athletic, not "really" that fast or quick.
Does he have "deceptive" speed like they said about Jordy Nelson and Eric Decker for some reason?

So ironic it all is.
"They" always tend to say a lot of silly crap during draft season, don' "they?" I don't remember specifics, but I remember some pretty dismissive analyses of Driver prior to the '99 draft too.

D

Deleted member 6794

So ironic it all is.

Janis has very small hands for a receiver (9 inches) and is inconsistent catching the ball. In addition he´s extremely raw as a route runner and not strong after the catch. There´s no denying he put up huge numbers in Division II but it is highly unlikely that he will be able to put up even close to similar numbers in the NFL.

Not all seventh round picks out of small schools work out like Driver. And don´t forget that it took Driver some time to adjust to the NFL as well as he had only 37 receptions during his first three seasons with the Packers.

Members online

Latest posts