Would you support a packers game in London?

Would you support a Packers game outside of the US?

• YES!

Votes: 8 23.5%
  • No.

Votes: 26 76.5%

• Total voters

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Would really mess up the training camps that way. How about a best of the rest game the week before the superbowl anywhere in the world? 2 best teams to not make the playoffs or that lost wild card weekend do the global tour thing.

PWC

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would say no to an overseas game. It has the possibility of being too detrimental to the season. Not only could they lose a home game, but the amount of travel plus jet lag would affect quality practice for the next game.

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
As long as it is an exhibition game - why not ?
But it should not be a regular season game.
I also read in this thread that this is an american sport, about artificial environment etc, etc.
So welcome to professional sports in 2011 !
To me as a german guy it sounds a little crazy when somebody complaints about lost traditions, artifical environment and so on and at the same time everybody takes part of a professional sport system where teams can be sold and moved from x to y, or owners can go bankrupt or even divorced from their wife and nobody knows what this will mean for the franchise. :rolleyes:
Yea Mhnessie, but this is what you're missing. This particular professional sport is solely American and I believe it's a deciding factor in why so many fans love it. So you thinking it's crazy is lost on this particular forum. The tradition and environment is the single most important part of this franchise. You might be able to sell that on another team's forum but not here. The Packers will never be sold or moved. It's owned by the fans, the only professional franchise that I know of that is of this type. The nature of this franchises history is what makes it so great.
I guess I'm okay with an exhibition game, but I'd rather go with the idea of the runners up or so on after the season. Leave the darned regular season alone. If a team wants to travel to play an exhibition game after the season I'm all for it, but it should not be mandatory.
After all, the two worst teams in the league might enjoy the spotlight and appreciate the extra work and it's still better than any sport you can see live outside of the US.

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers will never be sold or moved. It's owned by the fans, the only professional franchise that I know of that is of this type. The nature of this franchises history is what makes it so great.
And that's one main reason why I love the Packers and yes, this is unique in American professional sports !
But as I wrote - why not playing somewhere else for an exhibition game to make American Football or Packers more popular ?
I also think the NFL and their franchises will have to do this in the near future because owners and players want more and more money and the NFL need to sell more TV rights for example.
Anyway - you wrote that foreign people should buy a plane ticket, a game ticket and come to Green Bay.
That's what I will do against the Broncos but not everybody can afford this so I think for many football fans an exhibition game would be a great possibility to see a game.

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score
Of course I would like the Packers to play a game in London*. Wembley Stadium is 5 minutes from my house! Any game, I don't mind: Exhibition, regular season, post-season, even Super Bowl!!! Bring it.

*This opinion is only valid until my job moves to a new city/country. Then replace "London" with the new city/country.

Munch

NFL Owner
Reaction score
I would love if the Pack came to me but should they "No". you don't ask the Pope to bring the Vatican with him when he travels or the Piramids to come see me do you? The Packers are an institution and be treated as such. I don't live anywhere near Green Bay but when I wanted to see them I pulled my *** off the couch and drove there. If the Pack lost a home game to travel to Europe I would feel sorry for the most absolute real fans the people of Green Bay.

GBPack2010

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To lose a home game would suck for any team not just ours but the thing is most of the teams chosen can't sell out a home game....Arizona in 2005, Miami in 2007, San Diego in 2008, Tampa Bay in 2009, 2010 is the exception since the 49ers and Broncos have great fanbases so I mean does the city really care about it?

MackemPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As an English, Packer fan I would take any opportunity to see a game live, but I don't think it's fair that American fans such as most on here, should lose a home game. If English people want to see an NFL game, we should go to the USA and experience it properly anyway. Which I will be doing in December to see the pack beat the giants!

PWT

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
A few year ago, A vote was held by NFL owners concerning playing a regular season game in another County. The majority of the NFL owners voted "yes", therefore if NFL team is scheduled to play a regular season game in another country, They are required to be there and play the game.

There was regular season NFL game played in Wimbley Stadium in London last year. The NFL game was sold out very quickly. Again this year, there is another NFL regular season game scheduled for Wimbley Stadium in London. If this continues into the future, all NFL teams will be schedule to play a game in another country.
The NFL team, who loses a home game because of this NFL program, Will be re embursed financially for local revenue lost at their stadium for loss of one of their home games played in another country.

Crazy Packers Fan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Only if it's a designated road game for the Packers, I wouldn't want to be at a clear disadvantage for the season with 8 road games, 1 neutral game and 7 home games. I'd be okay with a road game in London, but it may still be a bit distracting for the team.

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
And that's one main reason why I love the Packers and yes, this is unique in American professional sports !
But as I wrote - why not playing somewhere else for an exhibition game to make American Football or Packers more popular ?
I also think the NFL and their franchises will have to do this in the near future because owners and players want more and more money and the NFL need to sell more TV rights for example.
Anyway - you wrote that foreign people should buy a plane ticket, a game ticket and come to Green Bay.
That's what I will do against the Broncos but not everybody can afford this so I think for many football fans an exhibition game would be a great possibility to see a game.
Yep, I get it. On the other hand, there are alot of people who live here in Wisconsin and are fans who are financially unable to get to a game because it's sold out regularly and it's uncommon to get a ticket at face value unless you know someone or are willing to go on traditionally "family" days like Thanksgiving or Christmas OR AN EXHIBITION GAME.
I really don't care about the NFL wanting more TV money from overseas viewers. That's my point.
I know the NFL would like to see it more popular world-wise, but I'm against that. The NFL makes a bucketloads of cash already and I am not ready to see a foreign team. I guess I'll never be.
Put it this way, every NFL fan wants to go to a Super Bowl but most can't afford to go. It's far, far more expensive than a regular season game. I've been to exactly 1 Superbowl in my life and it wasn't my team playing. So yea, it might be expensive to get to a game for another fan from far away, but you can do what most of us do most Sundays, watch it on TV and let the TV rights pay for the experience.
Or not be a fan. There are far more viewers of NFL football than people who attend the games. There are millions watching every Packer game, but only 73000 fans go to games at Lambeau.
So yea, I see your predicament, but it's not like I'm sympathetic. That's the way it is in professional sports, some can go and some cannot. I simply can't condone taking from a fanbase of one team to support a potential fanbase elsewhere. Seriously, where was any European market when the NFL was new? And without that local, hometown support (Packers had share sales without incentive to investors) where would the NFL be?
IMHO, why not one game in each team given to the people who will never see a Packers game. One exhibition game for the large families or disabled vets or others who can't normally see a game. If the NFL wants to boost it's image, that would work for me. I'd like to see the list of players who wouldn't volunteer their salaries for that one game to get those folks to a game.
Last mhnessie, do you know that thousands show up for Packers practices? Just to see them for free? Packers players ride kids' bikes to and from practice and so on. It's a tradition here, give back to the community, not to London for goodness sakes.

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
Here's a solution. Why not put the pro-bowl on international soil? It features all the stars, their helmets and the stars get to travel? I know Hawaii might not like this but Alaska doesn't have the pro-bowl either.
Because serious fans of any team never watch the probowl, most international fans won't know the difference and they are the best players and deserve to go on a road trip. The probowl is equal to any preseason game and if additional revenue is the thought, then most potential overseas observers would be willing to go root for their individual stars from their teams.
That way if you're a Packer fan in London, you can go see Aaron Rodgers play in the pro bowl right?
AND the additional benefit is the European community gets to see the best the NFL has to offer AND most pro-bowlers will be playing. They'd want to play in the new area. Who wouldn't like a European vacation?
AND nobody gets cheated except Hawaii, which doesn't have an NFL team. Make sense?

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here's a solution. Why not put the pro-bowl on international soil? It features all the stars, their helmets and the stars get to travel? I know Hawaii might not like this but Alaska doesn't have the pro-bowl either.
Because serious fans of any team never watch the probowl, most international fans won't know the difference and they are the best players and deserve to go on a road trip. The probowl is equal to any preseason game and if additional revenue is the thought, then most potential overseas observers would be willing to go root for their individual stars from their teams.
That way if you're a Packer fan in London, you can go see Aaron Rodgers play in the pro bowl right?
AND the additional benefit is the European community gets to see the best the NFL has to offer AND most pro-bowlers will be playing. They'd want to play in the new area. Who wouldn't like a European vacation?
AND nobody gets cheated except Hawaii, which doesn't have an NFL team. Make sense?

Sounds like a good idea, would be worth a try ;)

VersusTheMoose

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The thing is, the NFL wants to sell the game outside of the US boarder, they know a preseason game wouldn't do that. They have to go all in with a real regular season game or not do anything at all.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
If every team did it every year. Games in Los Angeles, Mexico, Argentina, Canuckland, London, Munich, Brisbane.

The hell with Los Angeles. ;o) They had their shot twice...and blew both of 'em. ;) Those damned foreigners... ;)

I remember when the Pack played in Tokyo...and no one showed up and I think they had to pipe in crowd noise besides.

But.... London?? I wouldn't be too angry if the Pack played in London, I know one guy for sure that would be able to save air fare to see his annual Packers game. He's a kilt wearin' Brit that fell in love with the game with no previous exposure to the game back in the 87. I guess I'd grudgingly go along with it because there are so many Packers fans in England.

VersusTheMoose

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While the pro bowl is a better option than a preseason game, it still isn't the same quality of an actual regular season game.

Regardless, I don't think annual regular season games are the way to grow the game. It is more important to get into the roots of a culture and get them to actually, ya'know, play American football. The NFL really could look to MLB for some ideas, they have been much more successful at promoting their sport outside of the US.

Emerald1066

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Absaflippinlootly. But how much better if it came to the Aviva Stadium here in Dublin - home of the Irish Rugby International team - ranked 4th in the world (not bad for a nation of 4.5 million) I understand GB home fans would be pissed off, but come on, share the love! You'll have a ball over here - guaranteed

AllouezPackerFan

Section 121 Row 47
Reaction score
No......Packers should never play a home game anywhere but Lambeau Field. Ever. Period. Even if its an away game the trip accross 7 times zones could screw a team up for a week. Two days to recover from jet lag would throw off preperation for the next weeks game.

Members online

Latest posts