Would you lose your mind?

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Ted wanted to see if an offer for extra picks would come while we were on the clock. The room and the phone lines were eerily silent
That says it all. Thank God our GM was smarter than every other GM.

H

HardRightEdge

Here’s the best evidence that the pick of Aaron Rodgers was a value pick much more than a need pick presented by someone in the war room, Andrew Brandt. http://mmqb.si.com/2014/05/07/nfl-draft-war-rooms/ If Thompson had viewed backup QB as an immediate or critical need there would be no reason for him to wait 10 minutes – he would have jumped at the chance to grab Rodgers. Brandt tells us there was one player from the top-20 tier left at pick #24. It was not unanimous in the room that Rodgers should be the pick but it was Thompson who had the “true trust The Board moment”.
I may have overestimated the front office's foresight.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Jason Wilde wrote the article linked below about how Thompson/McCarthy have to be ready for any surprises during the draft. He brings up the 1996 draft when Wolf and company thought they would get Ray Lewis with the 27th pick. Wolf later said “We got caught with our pants down…” when Baltimore traded up to the 26th pick and grabbed Lewis. The top name on the Packers board, according to Wolf, was Tony Brackens. But they “jumped the board” and took OT John Michels. Another example of a good GM and good drafter ******** up, and another example of the Packers losing out on a HOF player – like Ronnie Lott.

http://www.espnwisconsin.com/common/page.php?feed=2&id=14091&is_corp=1

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jason Wilde wrote the article linked below about how Thompson/McCarthy have to be ready for any surprises during the draft. He brings up the 1996 draft when Wolf and company thought they would get Ray Lewis with the 27th pick. Wolf later said “We got caught with our pants down…” when Baltimore traded up to the 26th pick and grabbed Lewis. The top name on the Packers board, according to Wolf, was Tony Brackens. But they “jumped the board” and took OT John Michels. Another example of a good GM and good drafter ******** up, and another example of the Packers losing out on a HOF player – like Ronnie Lott.

OLD news.
So was the 1998 mishap of Wolf passing on Randy Moss, which he later admitted was his biggest regret as Packers GM.

Time to move on.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Yes, by definition something that happened in the 1996 draft is old news. :rolleyes:

I ordinarily save the “old” rating for a poster who continually brings up one thing over and over. For example, you bringing up the pick of House instead of Sherman. And when you do bring it up you continually neglect to mention the extenuated circumstances such as the number of CBs picked before either House or Sherman were drafted, which has been posted on more than one occasion. OTOH, the above post is the first time I’ve brought up the ‘Michels instead of Lewis/Brackens’ issue from that draft.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score

In a book I read about the ravens season they discussed this. Ray was on the phone with the Packers and was told they were taking him as soon as baltimore was done with their pick. Then his other phone rang.

Ray on the 96 packers as a rookie gets us at least 1 more SB win imo.

Joe Nor Cal Packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This. Here's to hoping that a team takes a C ahead of us, along with all the QBs possible. More players to drop to us.
Yeah I'm with you. Would love to see Manziel, Bridgewater, Bortles, Carr ALL go before 21. No one is going to draft a C in the first round. Good trivia question, when did that last happen. I like Shazier over Mosley. That's probably an opinion in the minority but a LB who can run a 4.38 40 is too good to pass up. Don't get me wrong, I would not be disappointed with Mosley. My only concerns with Shazier are 1) he's out of position at ILB and 2) all that speed means nada if he can't shed blocks, and he's a little light for that. But he pressed 10 more reps than Mosley. Strength doesn't seem to be an issue. Should be fun.

D

Deleted member 6794

And I'd say that was actually very successful.

Frederick had a good rookie season, especially in run blocking. At the time the Cowboys made the pick I was convinced Jerry Jones had definitely lost his mind though.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Regarding BPA vs. BVA, here's more evidence. Not proof, just evidence:
And, in a tip of the cap to next season, ESPN's Rob Demovsky has some great advice for Packers fans: "Next year, when Thompson tells you he doesn't draft for need, remember this: Among his first six picks were a safety (Clinton-Dix), a receiver (Adams), a tight end (Rodgers) and a center (Linsley). Not coincidentally, the Packers had an opening for a starting free safety, lost a receiver (James Jones) and a center (Evan Dietrich-Smith) in free agency, and have not re-signed last year’s starting tight end (Jermichael Finley)."
http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/258795601.html

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I may have overestimated the front office's foresight.
I'm not sure that there are many people, besides Favre, who immediately saw this as the Packers searching for Favre's replacement. It was purely taking a gift that fell into our laps. I may not have done the same thing after not getting any trade offers. Your only options are to take the BPA or reach down for a position of need. It was a lot of money to pay a kid to ride the bench for three seasons when we had many other needs.

I did like this Andrew Brandt anecdote though:
And my favorite story: I once told a player we would sign him for a $500 bonus. His answer was, and I quote: “Well, I only have about $100 now, but I can get you the rest in about a week.” “No,” I answered, “We pay you.”

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Always pick from the top of your board. Use free agency and training camp cuts to fill roster holes. There are at least 5 or 6 teams that will need to either restructure veteran contracts or cut guys to get under the salarycap. More potential help is still possibly on the way in August. We're looking good right now.

D

Deleted member 6794

Always pick from the top of your board. Use free agency and training camp cuts to fill roster holes. There are at least 5 or 6 teams that will need to either restructure veteran contracts or cut guys to get under the salarycap. More potential help is still possibly on the way in August. We're looking good right now.

You have to use free agency to do that though.

Members online

Latest posts