Would you lose your mind?

PWT

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers drafted Center Clayton Tonnemaker from of U of Minnesota in 1st round of 1950 NFL draft. . Tonnemaker played his rookie season (1950 season) and the next year ( 1951), he was not on Packer roster

In 1958 draft The Packer drafted Center Dan Currie of Michigan Sate University. How ever Currie was converted to linebacker by Packers. Dan Currie played linebacker position for the Packers from 1958 to 1964.

In the 1st round Draft of 1967 Packers picked Center-Guard Bob Hyland of Boston College. Hyland played Center-Guard positions for the Packers from 1967-1969.

So from first NFL draft in 1936 to 2013 draft , the Packers have used 1st Round draft choice three time for the center position.

Last edited:

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yet the best centers playing in the NFL are former college centers.

I think tackles are more athletic in general and that extra athleticism can help them be good centers. Maybe not better than the top centers in the league who were college centers, but it's much easier to get value in the draft by picking a tackle who can switch over late in the draft than picking a center high.

Enviado desde mi iPhone con Tapatalk

Last edited:

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Actually this year there are more Guards with <4.7 cones and <7.7 shuttles and <100 broads. At least guys I have projected to Guard on my board. It's been a long offseason with a lot of tape...

Are there more guards or tackles declared for the draft?

Also, just some numbers doesn't automatically make a guy a better athlete. Perry tested better than Clay in a most categories, but Clay looks like he's on another level athletically than Perry when on the field.

D

Deleted member 6794

I think tackles are more athletic in general and that extra athleticism can help them be good centers. Maybe not better than the top centers in the league who were college centers, but it's much easier to get value in the draft by picking a tackle who can switch over late in the draft than picking a center high.

I agree that if a team wants to draft their future center in the later rounds it's probably better to get a college tackle.

H

HardRightEdge

I wouldn't "lose my mind", but I'd be scratching my head in disappointment and sharpening my pencil for a likely draft grade of B- or less.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
I think we all know that TT's *normal* sop is to take the best available player. On occasion he varies from that. So for him to take a Center in the first round would mean a lot of players who are mediocre at their positions will be there in the first round. I don't think that's going to happen.

H

HardRightEdge

I think we all know that TT's *normal* sop is to take the best available player. On occasion he varies from that.

Is there anybody left who actually believes that? It never was and isn't now.

Saying it is a way of not having to explain yourself.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Is there anybody left who actually believes that? It never was and isn't now.

Saying it is a way of not having to explain yourself.
TT admits to occasionally targeting guys, weights position value heavily, and accounts for need. BPA really is a cop out, it really only happens with falling value.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TT admits to occasionally targeting guys, weights position value heavily, and accounts for need. BPA really is a cop out, it really only happens with falling value.

Yes, but if the highest rated guy is by far a center, I bet he takes the center if he's unable to trade down.

There are also times it looks like he does take the BPA like when he picked Cobb. Doesn't always pick a guy at a need position.

Last edited:

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Targeting guys doesn't mean he won't get value for a pick. He's not going to target a guy and pick him a lot higher than he's worth over guys that are better players.

D

Deleted member 6794

Yes, but if the highest rated guy is by far a center, I bet he takes the center if he's unable to trade down.

I highly doubt that it ever happens that a center is the highest rated player by far on a draft board. These guys get drafted because of need.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I highly doubt that it ever happens that a center is the highest rated player by far on a draft board. These guys get drafted because of need.

It really don't see how it's impossible. It would he unlikely early in the draft compared to later on though. Besides, we're talking about TT, not about how other teams pick.

D

Deleted member 6794

It really don't see how it's impossible. It would he unlikely early in the draft compared to later on though. Besides, we're talking about TT, not about how other teams pick.

TT has never drafted a college center so it seems he never had one of them as the highest rated player on his board (if you truely think that´s the way he´s approaching the draft).

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TT has never drafted a college center so it seems he never had one of them as the highest rated player on his board (if you truely think that´s the way he´s approaching the draft).

We all know TT doesn't value centers much and prefers to convert tackles, which is why I said he'd pick the center if he could not trade down first.

D

Deleted member 6794

We all know TT doesn't value centers much and prefers to convert tackles, which is why I said he'd pick the center if he could not trade down first.

That doesn´t make any sense. If he doesn´t value centers (which he has proven over the past) it is highly unlikely he´ll have one on top of his board at any given moment during the draft. And even if that happens, there will be players at several other positions available who present some value as well. There´s no reason to trade back.

Last edited by a moderator:

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That doesn´t make any sense. If he doesn´t value centers (which he has proven over the past) it is highly unlikely he´ll have one on top of his board at any given moment during the draft. And even if that happens, there will be players at several other positions available who present some value as well.

I never said this is likely.

And it makes perfect sense. It you don't want the highest player on your board, you trade down to get more value for the pick.

If you're passing on by far the highest rated guy, you're not getting the most value you can.

No reason to pick another guy higher than he's worth and leave better players for the other teams when you could get the same guy later and get extra picks.

D

Deleted member 6794

And it makes perfect sense. It you don't want the highest player on your board, you trade down to get more value for the pick.

If you're passing on by far the highest rated guy, you're not getting the most value you can.

No reason to pick another guy higher than he's worth and leave better players for the other teams when you could get the same guy later and get extra picks.

Once again, first of all it is very unlikely that a college center will be on top of Thompson´s draft board at any time.

In addition you have to realize that teams don´t always draft the highest player on their board because of need (see 2012 draft when Thompson selected defensive players with his first six picks). There´s no reason to trade down because it´s possible another team selects the guy they´re most interested in and a lot of times there aren´t any teams interested in trading up.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
False. Junius Coston. Center position is one that doesn't carry a lot of value though, when combined that we look for athletic freaks and a relatively sparse C crop so you can bet other teams WILL reach, it doesn't seem likely that a C will drop that far. Chances are we take a C day 3 where the value is: a bunch of similarly rated players and TT will pick the one that fits the biggest need. THAT'S value, value is not reaching. Nobody's saying that if Weston Richburg is available at our 5th round pick we don't take him, just that believing that he'll be available then is silly.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Once again, first of all it is very unlikely that a college center will be on top of Thompson´s draft board at any time.

In addition you have to realize that teams don´t always draft the highest player on their board because of need (see 2012 draft when Thompson selected defensive players with his first six picks). There´s no reason to trade down because it´s possible another team selects the guy they´re most interested in and a lot of times there aren´t any teams interested in trading up.

Trading down and sill getting guys like Lacy and Nelson is better than picking them higher in the draft.

We'll disagree. Trying to get the most value possible out of the draft is the way to go for me.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score

Your highest rated guy is a RB, but the next guy is a FS rated only half a point less on your board, do you honestly think TT takes the RB?

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Your highest rated guy is a RB, but the next guy is a FS rated only half a point less on your board, do you honestly think TT takes the RB?

No. I should have said, "if you don't want the by far highest player on your board, you trade down to get more value for the pick."

If the RB is by far the highest, he'll try to trade down.

D

Deleted member 6794

No. I should have said, "if you don't want the by far highest player on your board, you trade down to get more value for the pick."

If the RB is by far the highest, he'll try to trade down.

This means you risk losing the second highest rated player on the board who could actually fill a position of need.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score

How do you know the guys he picked weren't at the top of his board in 2012? He made a few trades during the draft. I'd bet he was making need match value by taking the highest defensive player on his board and moving in the draft to make that happen.

D

Deleted member 6794

How do you know the guys he picked weren't at the top of his board in 2012? He made a few trades during the draft. I'd bet he was making need match value by taking the highest defensive player on his board and moving in the draft to make that happen.

Do you really think all other teams line up to trade with Thompson so that he´s able to draft the best player available as soon as he wants to???

Members online

Latest posts