Would you have traded for Favre knowing he had a bad hip?

ArizonaPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I heard Ron Wolf mention once in a documentary about Favre how he told the doctor to pass Favre's physical when he failed it prior to the trade from Atlanta. But they never went into detail about it. Below is an interesting article about how Favre has a hip condition similar to Bo Jackson. Wolf took a big gamble trading for a guy the doctors said might only last a few years. I don't think I would have made the trade back then if I knew about his hip. I'm glad Wolf did though. :thumbsup:

It's kind of ironic how a guy who has had a bunch of intestine removed after a car accident and who has failed a physical due to a hip condition holds the record for most starts by a QB. Based on those 2 things you wouldn't have thought he would have lasted in the league very long. I'm sure glad he did though.

http://www.jsonline.com/packer/news/aug05/348858.asp

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
I heard about this long time ago, but doesnt it make you feel 'lucky' to be able to watch a guy like Brett all the time? I feel quite privilaged personally, I don't know if that makes me weird or what but the more I learn about him the more 'great' he seems.

OP
OP
A

ArizonaPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
SlickVision said:
...doesnt it make you feel 'lucky' to be able to watch a guy like Brett all the time? I feel quite privilaged personally, I don't know if that makes me weird or what but the more I learn about him the more 'great' he seems.

I feel the same way. It's kind of why the last few years I wished the Packers would win another Super Bowl more for him than for us.

Reaction score
Yea, it really does make you feel, as you put it, lucky. Not only for the things that Farve has done on the field, but off. I mean for him to suffer through so many losses in such a short amount of time, yet come in every Sunday, give it his all and never once complain. Not even once use his off-field problems as an excuse for the losses. He is a true pro on and off the field, and one that is sorely missed in the NFL and Pro sports today.

As for your question, honestly to tell you the truth, I would not have. A first round pick for a player who could end up retired in 3-4 years, that was just not worth it for me. The risk was far greater than the reward. Safe to say I am not a gambling man. Glad I wasn't the GM of the Pack back then. :mrgreen:

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It would have been debated!! It does point out some of the class the Packers have in that it was not made public. I think there is a lot we do not know about and really don't have a need to know.

In the last few years Brett has become quite open and honest with the press. Two years ago he admitted to thinking occaisionally about life after football. Instead of saying a prudent person thinks ahead there as been almost a death watch by the press on Brett's career.

I'm glad we have had such a great offensive line for years keeping Brett off that hip. I don't think the national press has appreciated what a great line the Packers have had.

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I remember when Wolf traded for Favre and I was really confused why the guy would trade a first round draft choice for a guy who was a second round pick and didn't look to have much of a future in football. From that point on, I have reserved judgement on player upon draft until I see them play. Favre and Reggie White were the two biggest reasons for our return to Glory.

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
At this point - it being mute and all - the question becomes.....

"Would Brett Favre have survived the Coaching Staff decisions on any other Team?"

(Remember when Holmgren almost sat his butt down over the frustration factor?)

calicheesehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just heard Lee Hacksaw Hamilton talking about this condition on Xtra sports. I just pulled in from the day on the road to race to the CPU and see if anyone had heard about this. I'm glad this isn't new and something which would force his hand this year to quit. A huge Phewwwwwwww for me! Not being the expert on evaluating players as Wolf, I'm stoked GB was able hire Ron to make these decisions.

Schmitty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would have to say there is no way I would have made the trade. I thought Wolf was nuts then, boy was I wrong. Wolf new he was gonna be a star before Wolf even came to Green Bay, because thats the first thing he did when becoming the GM.

OP
OP
A

ArizonaPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
packedhouse01 said:
I remember when Wolf traded for Favre and I was really confused why the guy would trade a first round draft choice for a guy who was a second round pick and didn't look to have much of a future in football. From that point on, I have reserved judgement on player upon draft until I see them play. Favre and Reggie White were the two biggest reasons for our return to Glory.

I felt pretty much the same way. I didn't have a problem trading for a QB I didn't know much about back then, but I was kind of upset at the time that we gave away a 1st round pick for a QB drafted in the 2nd round. I remember Wolf saying something to the effect that when you see talent, you don't quibble about how much it costs. Boy I'm I glad he was right.

Can you imagine how badly Wolf would have been roasted if Favre's hip didn't allow him to play well? Giving up a 1st round pick and then finding out that Wolf told the doctor to pass his physical, Wolf would have been ridiculed if Favre would have been a bust like Ryan Leaf. I'm sure glad Wolf took a gamble that I wouldn't have taken back then.

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, it looks like everyone is pretty much on the same page with Favre and commemorating all of his successes... and I am too, for that matter.

But, I remember first hearing thru Bar room conversations, and then actually reading about it a little later on.... what this thread is discussing....

Picture a scene, if you will - it's the end of a game - the Qb (Favre) pulls out yet another win, like Harry Potter waving his wand... and all the guys are whoopin' it up in the Locker Room like it was North Dallas Forty and Nick Nolte just got the brass ring again....

Favre is over sittin' in the Coach's Office like it was important that they go over a few things, get ready for the next big game.... you know the drill... and as time passes, the Locker room finally gets empty... how it always does.... and finally, all that's pretty much left in the Locker Room is good ol' Brett Favre. 'Course, the Coach is still there writin' things up like is his way... and Brett takes his leave out of the Coach's Office... gets up slowly... and "limps" over to the Shower..... a noticeable limp at that.. a limp so severe that one would think he got clobbered, but good, out there on the field. Anyone else would have been carried back on a stretcher... But, remember - we're talkin' about Brett Favre..

This "Limp" was nowhere to be seen out there on the field. Not a whisper.... for the whole game.. Oh, it's real enuf... the limp that is.. and as the Season was winding down, the pain would sometimes get so bad.......................

Yet, only a few choice Players actually knew - Chewey, Bennett, maybe a couple of others.. Holmgren (that's a given) and Mrs. Favre - who would drive him home after the game..... Deanna's a trooper and loyal to the bone.... Ya gotta luv her for that.
==================================
I embellished this just a bit.. but the gist of the tale is true! And he's had this 'ache' if you will... for many many years... with the Personal Trainer this last summer, the pain (I would think) is less now than it has been in a long time. I really and truly admire him about that... He plays thru the pain and finally after the need is gone and it's time to rest.. that's when he lets go... and sinks down to the chair... just trying to calm the spasms down and help the pain wash away like rain water fallin' off your shoulders....

I'll have to search, but I may be able to find that article I read, the article was real and if I remember correctly, it might have been on JSonline... but I'll have to go back and search....

As you can see - it "struck me"... and it's something I'll never forget reading. It wasn't a long story - just a note as to what happens with Brett Favre after a game when most of the other Players rush out to celebrate their winning the game - like High School football players would do.

Brett Favre - to me - is a man's man! You can see his Pride - Oooh, He's humble to a fault, but you can see his pride... and I feel a certain empathy with him in that regard..

Oh, I joke around here all the time, it's a great Forum to come & let loose after a hard day on the job... and the posters here are all great... but when it comes to brass tacks, fellas (and ladies).. Well, let's just say I can see where Brett's comin' from... He's just been luckier than most....!

I respect the man - He's certainly not a whiner, and neither am I. He doesn't point out things that are wrong in others for profit... he just lives his life and in the process, things happen....

It'll be a long long time before we see another Man like this and I can only think of one other person in my lifetime that's given me and others around the Country and the World that same feeling - it was while I was a kid.... that other man wasn't a big War hero, in fact he didn't even go, even though others around him did.... He stayed here and helped everyone else deal with the War.... He just had that way about him and how he treated everyone around him... if you know what I mean - what I really mean!

That other man's name was John Wayne.

PackerTraxx

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would not have traded a first round pick for Brett if I knew his hip was healthy. I thought we should get him for a second round pick. :oops:

Good thing I was't GM. 8)

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Of course I would have :wink: my hind sight is 20/20 or better. I would have fleeced the Falcons for a late round pick to round out the deal though.

Of course I would have taken:
Barry Sanders RB over Tony M. OT
Randy Moss WR over Vonnie Holliday DT/DE
Peerless Price WR or over Antuan Edwards CB/S
Laveranues Coles WR over Steve Warren DT
Dan Morgan LB over Jamal Reynolds DE

Because like I said my hindsight is better than 20/20 8)

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Peerless Price WR or over Antuan Edwards CB/S

That I question. Price hasn't done much the last couple years. He did have a few good years with the Bills didn't he?

Members online

Latest posts