Would you do this ESPN suggested trade?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PackerFlatLander

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I mean hey, you can get the job done with one haha.

Well ... considering that Ted has never been married and never had kids, we could safely surmise that he doesn't need either of his nuts or his ding-****, for that matter. Truth be told, he probably wouldn't know what to do with a beaver if it was inches from his face, but then he likely keeps Jergens in business, lol.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just for the sake of argument; Fitzgerald is probably the second best WR in the NFL. People tend to forget that this guy has played with some of the worst quarterbacks in the NFL who had some of the worst offensive lines in the NFL protecting them. In 2011, with the illustrious combo of John Skelton and Kolb at QB, he put up 1400+ yards. Just think what this guy would be able to produce with one of the top two quarterbacks in the NFL throwing him the ball? Also, to bring money into the conversation, Jordy Nelson will be in line for a contract extension next year, Fitzgerald's contract runs through 2019 and he can basically be cut after 2015 with no cap hit (I think).

From a performance standpoint I don't think any argument can be made that when comparing Nelson straight up for Fitzgerald, you'd be silly not to make that trade. Fitz is only a little less than two years older and he plays the kind of game that ages well. However, what makes this deal completely untenable is the inclusion of a second round draft pick and Franklin. Fitz is better than Nelson, but the gap between the two isn't the size of Heyward and Franklin which is the potential you're giving up with this trade.

gbpack12_2_89

Bleeding Green and Gold
Reaction score
[quote="Bus Cook, post: 519935, member: 9279]ONE of the members???This is like a TT family blog.[/quote]

Why because we enjoy being successfull year in and year out because we have a competent GM..unlike what the lions had with matt millen or what the vikings have right now with speilman or what the bears had with angelo.

Angelo was fired by the Bears on January 3, 2012. The reason for his firing was due to a combination of poor drafting and questionable free agent signings, with the team stating they wanted to "close a talent gap" to stay competitive with the rival Green Bay Packers and Detroit Lions in the NFC North.[24] He leaves with an 87-73 regular season record, and 3-4 playoff record as the Bears General Manager. He was succeeded by Phil Emery on January 29, 2012.

Millen was the Lions' CEO for seven full seasons, from 2001–07; during that time, the club compiled a record of 31-81 (with at least nine losses each season). Detroit's .277 winning percentage was among the worst ever compiled by an NFL team over a seven-year period; only the Chicago Cardinals of 1939-45 (10-61-3, .141) and the Tampa Bay Buccaneers of 1983-89 (26-86, .234) were less successful.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd do Franklin and a 2nd round pick, but trading Nelson makes no sense. It would be cool to see Fitzgerald catch balls from Rodgers.

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

ONE of the members???This is like a TT family blog.

Oh ffs :rolleyes:, with respect, this is a discussion that is going nowhere Bus. I think the forum understand your position on this subject. Can`t we just discuss other Packer stuff and be united as PACKER fans please ?.In nearly half a dozen threads running on here at the moment, there is some sort of arguement going on about TT or Brett "Feckin" Favre. I respect your right to have a strong opinion, but very few agree with it. Sorry mate but this is turning into a circus.

Last edited by a moderator:

jjmcjj

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't approve of his gambling on offensive linemen, but I'm as big of a TT supporter as you'll ever find.

I think Bus would fit right in with Gimp and the TRADEMARK, hell they'd probably make him a Gold Card Moderator....:cool:

H

HardRightEdge

Nelson is making $2.7 mil this year and is under contract for next year at $2.6 mil.

Fitzgerald is making $15 mil this year. He's signed for 2014 - 2018 for another $15 mil per year.

I wouldn't take Fitzgerald for free if it meant having him play out that contract. That will never happen, but even a year or two more under that deal is a poor value proposition.

This is not baseball and we are not the Yankees. There is a hard salary cap in the NFL and rent-a-player deals are scorned.

Last edited by a moderator:

Southpaw

Endorphin Junkie
Reaction score
I might do it for a first rounder and maybe Franklin. But Jordy would not be up for trade.

That's not even considering his salary which is way too much for who we have to re-sign

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So our best receiver, Franklin, and our 2nd round pick for a 30 year old WR with ongoing hammy problems right now.

That sounds like a really terrible idea.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Misunderstood me. I never said you were for the trade, i'm saying im interested to see what the opinions would be seeing how Fitzgerald would be alot of money. I'd love the trade but we know TT.

And this is why we are thankful you are not GM. Yes, we know TT, and we are glad he is GM.

Love the trade? Is this serious? There is nothing about this trade to love. This is an insane trade that is so imbalanced it's not even funny. Even a 2nd alone is too much to give up.

When we trade for these big names, we do not get these players in their primes, we get them in their current form.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And this is why we are thankful you are not GM. Yes, we know TT, and we are glad he is GM.

Love the trade? Is this serious? There is nothing about this trade to love. This is an insane trade that is so imbalanced it's not even funny. Even a 2nd alone is too much to give up.

When we trade for these big names, we do not get these players in their primes, we get them in their current form.

My opinion. Thanks tho. Besides i wasn't agreeing with the Nelson part, just the pick and maybe Franklin.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My opinion. Thanks tho. Besides i wasn't agreeing with the Nelson part, just the pick and maybe Franklin.

Ok. Didn't see where you said you love it if it doesn't include Nelson. If so, I think that's insane. I still don't agree for a 2nd and Franklin, but you're of course entitled to that opinion.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
We would be in worse cap trouble than the damn cowboys.....they are in for a **** storm come next year. That will take years to recover from...just ask the Raiders. Glad we have a financially smart GM.......

Bus Cook

You're never alone with a schizophrenic
Reaction score
Wilmette=>Fontana=>Lake Geneva=>Michigan ugh
We would be in worse cap trouble than the damn cowboys.....they are in for a **** storm come next year. That will take years to recover from...just ask the Raiders. Glad we have a financially smart GM.......
The Raiders were in cap hell because they had a GM/owner, who was senile and an idiot at the end. He was genius for an even longer time before he went bad. You can say that Davis was a genius and he went nuts, or you can say that he was always nuts, but his nutty ways stopped working, as the game changed. Either way, the point might be that if you keep doing things the way you always have, you won't be doing them for long.

Luca

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Larry's cap hits in 2014, 2015 and 2016 would be 18, 21 and 18 million, which would count 16, 19 and 18 million on our cap. So we would not be able to sign our own guys to new contracts after this deal. Nelson hits are 4 million this year, and 4 million next year. So this deal would ruin our future. Especially since we have many great players, that we have to sign to new deals. Moreover Fitzgerald does not know our playbook, while Jordy has great chemistry with Rogers. This deal would therefore be the worst deal in the history of the NFL, and won't happen (unless we fire Ted Thompson first, and hire Matt Millen as our new GM).

Btw: according to wikipedia, Fitzgerald got traded to the Patriots. I haven't seen any official reports that confirm this deal though. LOL.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't approve of his gambling on offensive linemen, but I'm as big of a TT supporter as you'll ever find.

What do you mean by gambling on offensive linemen? Two of his last four first rounders were invested in O-linemen. Two picks in the 4th this year. One turning into a pretty good starter already. I would say first rounders wouldn't really be gambles they just haven't panned out because of injury. Or do you mean you would prefer he be more active in FA in seeking O-line help?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts