Would you advocate trading Brett?

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
Would such a trade, for say a first round pick, be worth the firestorm to a GM such as Ted.

He has built a solid reputation for himself, but would it be strong enough to withstand the negative PR from such a trade, especially if Aaron struggles or the fortunes of the Packers would decline in 08'.

It would be a career altering risk to take, would it be worth it?

Press Gazette said:
In several public appearances since announcing his retirement two months ago, Brett Favre has fueled speculation about the possibility of playing again.

While on one hand reaffirming his intention to retire, Favre also has invited doubts.

He told the Biloxi (Miss.) Sun-Herald that an injury to Aaron Rodgers might lead to a change of heart. He told David Letterman that "something's bound to happen" once training camp nears.

Despite his cryptic comments, I remain convinced Favre is finished. Anyone who witnessed his retirement press conference saw it on his face and heard it in his voice. The 17-year veteran has nothing left.

However, as long as Favre refuses to slam the retirement door shut, turn the dead-bolt latch and throw away the key, there will be rumors of his impending return.

Green Bay Packers General Manager Ted Thompson said he doesn't anticipate Favre coming out of retirement, but added: "You can never say never. … There's always what ifs — anything can happen."

But Thompson's actions can't hide his intentions. Besides grooming Aaron Rodgers for the past three years to serve as Favre's successor, the Packers drafted quarterbacks Brian Brohm and Matt Flynn last month. The team is moving on.

"We have to deal with the present," Thompson said after the draft. "We have to deal with getting our team ready to play and fortifying the quarterback position."

Favre knows the Packers are looking forward, so if he gets the itch to play again, it likely would be for a team desperate for a quarterback and willing to make Thompson a tempting trade offer.

The Tampa Bay Buccaneers might be just such a team. The Bucs were eliminated in the first round of the playoffs last season, so adding Favre could push them to Super Bowl-contending status. It doesn't hurt that Bucs coach Jon Gruden worked with Favre as an offensive assistant in Green Bay, or that Tampa Bay's offense would be somewhat familiar.

Would Thompson be willing to endure the public relations fallout? Then again, would Thompson be doing his job properly if he was offered a first-round draft choice and didn't seriously consider it?

Thompson repeatedly has said he places the Packers' long-term future above public sentiment, but that philosophy would be severely tested.

Trading Favre could incite an angry mob, yet stranger things have happened.

No one thought Vince Lombardi would leave the Packers to become head coach of the Redskins, but he did. No one envisioned Packers all-time leading rusher and Pro Football Hall of Famer Jim Taylor suiting up for the expansion Saints, but he did. No one believed Joe Montana would play for any other team than the San Francisco 49ers, but he did.

There's little room for sentimentality in the NFL, even for a larger-than-life figure like Favre.

NodakPaul

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not a chance. Not only would it **** off a HUGE majority of the fan base, but Fav-re is a Packer, and should always be remembered as one.

OP
OP
Pack93z

Pack93z

Reaction score
Not a chance. Not only would it **** off a HUGE majority of the fan base, but Fav-re is a Packer, and should always be remembered as one.

While I agree with your thoughts, Ted might be pressed into making this potential career defining decision..

Take Brett back this fall and push Aaron onto the bench again or have Brett on the bench peering over Aaron's shoulder or "punting" and trading the Icon.

I don't think Brett would force this, but it would make for a very interest drama filled decision...

This is more of a how would you deal with a Icon on your team.. than a prediction of things to come.. seems interesting to me..

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

you would be surprised at how many Packer fans WANT to see Brett play again even if it for another team..

Which to me says they were Brett fans first.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
how is this even a question. of course he should if its an option.

if someone wants to offer us first round picks or quality players in return for a guy who isnt gonna play for us next year... how is that even a difficult decision.

look I would hate hate hate to see Favre ever wear another teams jersey. But he isn't gonna be the quarterback next year for the Green Bay Packers. he retired. if some GM wants to give us something that is valuable for something thats sentimental... i dont even think you blink an eye. we are here to win football games and championships, not build shrines and sacrifice a future reward so that we can hold onto something we've had for 17 years.

of course if Arod struggles next year, and Brohm blows and we miss the playoffs.... then Ted will get a ton of heat from some stupid fans. BUT Brett made the decision to retire not Ted.

If Brett wants to play for the Packers he can speak up before camp... If he doesn't and a trade comes along I think it would be unfair to Brett and the Organization to keep him so that some stupid fan who cant let go will be able to sleep at night.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Favre asked for it, I'd say do it. If he wants to play elsewhere, does it make sense to hold him back? What would the Packers gain doing that?
TT has to look out for the team, not "Favre first" fans.
Yes, it would hurt, but what would we gain telling Favre no?

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Brett decided he wanted to play again, and didn't want to play for the Packers, I think you'd be dumb to not make that trade. That being said, if this scenario played out, i'd be pretty disappointed, and getting a 1st round pick would be making the best of a poopy situation.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
bozz_2006 said:
If Brett decided he wanted to play again, and didn't want to play for the Packers, I think you'd be dumb to not make that trade. That being said, if this scenario played out, i'd be pretty disappointed, and getting a 1st round pick would be making the best of a poopy situation.

exactly im fine with having 1 first round pick next year and seeing Favre ride into the sunset as a Packer always.

but if it comes to that. rob whatever team would be dumb enough to pay for a 38 year olds twilight service.

why would you rob Favre of some more fun, and the Packers of future potential?

IronMan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Favre got traded to another team, I think I would end up having a heart attack like Todd O'Connor of the Superfans when Ditka started coaching the Saints. Ditka told him, "Todd, I'm not coaching the Bears anymore, I'm coaching the Saints, and actually, we suck."

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If he's offered a 1st round pick for a retired player than you have to strongly consider it. I don't think it will happen at all though. Nobody will make a serious offer and I think Favre's retired.

OP
OP
Pack93z

Pack93z

Reaction score
I think Favre's retired.

I happen to agree.. I think the senerio itself is somewhat of a quagmire of sorts for a GM if Favre decides he isn't done yet..

To be honest, I probably would be a little pissed if Favre does an about face come summer and puts this nightmare into action.. it is a no win situation for the GM and franchise.

Bench Rodgers again = probably will take it as a slap in the face and might hurt the relationship into the future.

Have Favre on the sidelines.. the pressure that would place on Rodgers would be unreal.. unfair to him.

Trade him is probably the least destructive for the long term future, but probably puts a bulleye on the current GM / Staff as those that sold out Favre. Unless Rodgers becomes the Steve Young of the Midwest..

It is the type of drama one doesn't see in sports that often.. I hate soaps with a passion, but this would be like a real life soap with football sprinkled in..

trippster

Cheesehead
Reaction score
play GM for a moment. Isn't it best for the team to put your best players on the field?

Favre decides he wants to play again. Who's better for 2008? Are we rebuilding or making a push for the SB?

Favre comes back. Play him. It's a business.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
porky88 said:
I think Favre's retired.

I happen to agree.. I think the senerio itself is somewhat of a quagmire of sorts for a GM if Favre decides he isn't done yet..

To be honest, I probably would be a little pissed if Favre does an about face come summer and puts this nightmare into action.. it is a no win situation for the GM and franchise.

Bench Rodgers again = probably will take it as a slap in the face and might hurt the relationship into the future.

Have Favre on the sidelines.. the pressure that would place on Rodgers would be unreal.. unfair to him.

Trade him is probably the least destructive for the long term future, but probably puts a bulleye on the current GM / Staff as those that sold out Favre. Unless Rodgers becomes the Steve Young of the Midwest..

It is the type of drama one doesn't see in sports that often.. I hate soaps with a passion, but this would be like a real life soap with football sprinkled in..

The main reason why I think Favre is retired is he doesn't want to do what you just said. He doesn't want to screw Aaron Rodgers, Mike McCarthy, and Ted Thompson over. I think Favre wants to play but I think he honestly wants to give Rodgers a fair chance at the job.

Now if Rodgers tears his ACL then I could see something happening but I don't want to see that happen and I'm sure nobody else does including Brett Favre.

Reaction score
play GM for a moment. Isn't it best for the team to put your best players on the field?

Favre decides he wants to play again. Who's better for 2008? Are we rebuilding or making a push for the SB?

Favre comes back. Play him. It's a business.

I'd have to disagree here tripp, I think it is unfair to bench Rodgers just because Favre decides to come back.

Rodgers will have spent the off-season preparing for the role, and put in a lot of hard work no doubt. I think it becomes a distraction to welcome Brett back and make him the starter.

No doubt Brett had an MVP season last year, one that Rodgers will be hard pressed to emulate. Regardless, I think in the interests of the long-term future of Rodgers, he has to be kept the man even if Favre says he wants to come back.

I feel kind of guilty for saying this, but if Favre wants to play again I'd trade him for even a second round pick. I'd hate to see Favre in another uniform, but I think he has the right to come back and play if he wants to. I just don't think it'd be the best thing for the Packer organization going forward if he did.

Although I am not sure Brett would want to learn a new offense this late in his career.

DGB454

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think it would be a huge mistake on Favres end if he came out of retirement to play anywhere else besides Greenbay. He is an icon on an iconic team. Where do you go from there except down? What team could he possibly go to that has the same mystique that GB has? He ended with a great season on a great team and shut up all the doubters. How can it possibly get better than that?

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think he should dye his hair dark brown and put on a fake mustache and steal Aaron's #12 jersey, then while Aaron's looking for it, he jumps on the field and pretends to be Aaron.

Keep in mind - both of them are 6'2" and 220 pounds. With that fake mustache, the #12 jersey, and a helmet on, everyone will think it's Aaron. He may have to work on the California accent though. That might be the giveaway.

Danreb

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Aaron Rodgers turns out to be a good quarterback, fine.

This is the Green Bay Packers, not the Green Bay Favres.

retiredgrampa

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It was Favre's decision to retire and because of that, GB has moved on. Now if Favre decides he wants to play again, it can't be in GB. Too much backlash, IMO. If he wants to play elsewhere, fine. But since he's still under contract to us, the other team must pay a price. A good solid player or a high pick should be the minimum. It would be stupid to just release him.

Since69

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wow. Tough call. Emotionally, I'd die a little death if I saw Brett in another uniform. But for the good of the team I'd take the first round pick if it were offered - and I'm sure TT would.

What I hope most is that this never becomes an issue.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I got my "Beckett Sports Card Monthly" in the mail yesterday........the last page in the magazine is a mockup photo........It has Brett Favre in a Chicago Bears uniform with the line "unBEARable".
Just seeing that photo made me dry heave.........*burp*.........ugh.

DGB454

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I got my "Beckett Sports Card Monthly" in the mail yesterday........the last page in the magazine is a mockup photo........It has Brett Favre in a Chicago Bears uniform with the line "unBEARable".

That's like a huge sin to draw that isn't it ? It's like when that Danish newspaper ran those comics with muhammad in them.

INFIDELS!! " Beckett Sports Card Monthly" are INFIDELS!!

No virgins for them.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
cheesey said:

That's like a huge sin to draw that isn't it ? It's like when that Danish newspaper ran those comics with muhammad in them.

INFIDELS!! " Beckett Sports Card Monthly" are INFIDELS!!

No virgins for them.
LOLOLOLOLOL!!!!
I showed my wife the picture..........but i covered up at the top where it said "Not next month's cover"..........when she relized it was a joke page, she punched me and threw the magazine across the room!!!! :lol:

trippster

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't get you guys some time. If Peyton Manning wanted to come to green bay would you want him? knowing the quality of team around him and the better chacne of getting to the superbowl THIS year? What if Brady wanted to come to GB?

You are telling me that you would rather give up this year (odd's are against Rodger's leading us to the promised land this year) for a future that may never happen?

TT has repeated said they look for the best players at each position and if they can sign them then they bring them in. Period.

Favre right now is better than Rodgers. What does Favre saying he is going to retire do to change that fact? nothing IMO.

Favre comes out of retirement he would be a packer. Would you have traded him last year for a first rounder?

Our QB situations would look like this

Favre, Rodgers, Brohm, Flynn.

Who you gonna start?

I just don't understand this thinking. If we trade him because Rodgers has a longer future then why don't we just go with Brohm since his future is even longer?

Why is it final just because Favre has retired? Is there a law about not reversing things roster wise? And don't give me "it's not fair to Rodgers" crap. It is abusiness and the objective is to win. Put the best players on the field that you can acquire. that would be Favre unless Mannign or Brady become available.

Members online

Latest posts