Would The Packers Have Any Interest?

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
Not sure how true these trade rumors are but they could be for the right price.

Would the Packers have any interest in Robert Mathis?

NFL Network's Mike Lombardi believes that both DE Robert Mathis and WR Reggie Wayne are available for trade at "the right price."
Mathis and Wayne are both in contract years, and neither would be a reasonable candidate for the franchise tag in 2012 because Peyton Manning is holding captive so much salary cap space. Wayne turns 33 years old next month and is obviously in decline. Mathis is 29. He'd cost a pretty penny to re-sign.

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not to sound pompous, but I'm not too sure if the Packers need them. They'd be a better fit on another team that needs the help. Plus, we got our own guys who have given much to this team, I think they should worry over their contracts first before we bring in another big player.

OP
OP
Jules

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
Not to sound pompous, but I'm not too sure if the Packers need them. They'd be a better fit on another team that needs the help. Plus, we got our own guys who have given much to this team, I think they should worry over their contracts first before we bring in another big player.

Not them. I know you don't need Wayne. Just was not sure if you guys were looking for another pass rusher. There were rumors the Jets had interest in Mathis.

Just bored and speculating. You probably don't need them. But, I have heard a lot of Packers fans complain about the pass defense this year.

Personally I want the Colts to keep everyone but there might be tough decisions to make. And if we trade I hope it's to an NFC team.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
I agree with Kitten. TT's way is to build through the draft and develop talent within the organization. He doesn't go outsided the organization too often. The Packers had two veterans go down recently and what did Ted do? He promoted someone from the practice squad and signed someone new to the practice squad.

OP
OP
Jules

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
Mathis is only 29.

Wayne is on the decline. The point was not about Wayne though.......

OP
OP
Jules

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
I agree with Kitten. TT's way is to build through the draft and develop talent within the organization. He doesn't go outsided the organization too often. The Packers had two veterans go down recently and what did Ted do? He promoted someone from the practice squad and signed someone new to the practice squad.

I agree.

Was just wondering how comfortable you all were with your pass rush depth? Curious.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
Not them. I know you don't need Wayne. Just was not sure if you guys were looking for another pass rusher. There were rumors the Jets had interest in Mathis.

Just bored and speculating. You probably don't need them. But, I have heard a lot of Packers fans complain about the pass defense this year.

Personally I want the Colts to keep everyone but there might be tough decisions to make. And if we trade I hope it's to an NFC team.

The problems with the pass defense are not so much in personnel as in execution. They are getting it together and you'll soon see the D move up in the rankings even more. Then most of the groaning will stop.

OP
OP
Jules

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
The problems with the pass defense are not so much in personnel as in execution. They are getting it together and you'll soon see the D move up in the rankings even more. Then most of the groaning will stop.

Okay thanks. I felt many were tough on your D so far. They will rise up and have. I am not even sure Mathis would fit in your D but he is a pure pass rusher.

I am not saying you guys have to make a move, was curious to if you would though. I doubt it though.

I am not sure we move anyone either but if we do I hope it's to a good team so one of these guys has a shot at another ring. Hopefully in the NFC.

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score

LOL about Wayne! I have him on my Fantasy team, somebody told me he was good! I'm not really familiar with him to be honest. We could use Mathis on the pass rush currently. But with Zombo coming back, I'm not too sure about that. TT is not really big on making trades, look at last year with 15 Pack on IR!

I think we may be in a similar situation as your Colts in terms of keeping guys on the roster and dealing with the cap especially if we win another SB. I don't want to lose any of our guys to the cap or trade!

Just curious, now you got me thinking of this trade, what Packers (no draft picks, those you'd have to pry out of TT's cold, dead hands) would you see the Colts taking if this trade were to go through?

OP
OP
Jules

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
LOL about Wayne! I have him on my Fantasy team, somebody told me he was good! I'm not really familiar with him to be honest. We could use Mathis on the pass rush currently. But with Zombo coming back, I'm not too sure about that. TT is not really big on making trades, look at last year with 15 Pack on IR!

I think we may be in a similar situation as your Colts in terms of keeping guys on the roster and dealing with the cap especially if we win another SB. I don't want to lose any of our guys to the cap or trade!

Just curious, now you got me thinking of this trade, what Packers (no draft picks, those you'd have to pry out of TT's cold, dead hands) would you see the Colts taking if this trade were to go through?

At this point I would prefer a draft pick. I heard a rumor the Jets had interest in Mathis but I think I might puke my brains out if Mathis joined that team. Or the Pats, or any team in the AFC. I could not see Polian trading with an AFC rival, maybe the Bills because he goes back with them. Wayne/Mathis have been tied to the Bills in rumors too. I heard about the 49ers possibly being interested in Wayne too.

As for players.......damn at this point in the season not sure what we would want or need. We have holes everywhere and are 0-5.

I would want picks to help the team get better next season personally.

Find it hard to believe we do make a trade but I speculated weeks ago that if we kept losing teams would call up and offer something eventually for Clark/Wayne/Mathis. Actually Mathis/Freeney are the two I felt have showed up the hardest every week this year.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We need another pass rusher. Big time. Somebody who could bring the pain opposite of Matthews would be so huge.

Do you think Mathis could play OLB in the 3-4? I don't know Mathis that well, but he strikes me as someone who might struggle.

OP
OP
Jules

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
We need another pass rusher. Big time. Somebody who could bring the pain opposite of Matthews would be so huge.

Do you think Mathis could play OLB in the 3-4? I don't know Mathis that well, but he strikes me as someone who might struggle.

I guess thats the big question. I think he could, but your coaches may say hell no. You are a well coached defense. I have seen Jets/Pats fans speculate on Mathis but it would be a cold day in hell if I contemplate that idea. Our first round pick Jerry Hughes from a year ago so far has been a bust. Many speculate he is suited for a 3-4.

Like I said, I might be unfamiliar with your pass rush depth. You guys seem to make big stops/big plays when needed. However I do think a guy like Mathis could help eventually and peak come playoff time. He has been playing his butt off this year for a team going nowhere.

Mathis is a beast but is best suited to be a sidekick opposite a super star like Freeney....or Clay Matthews.

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
At this point I would prefer a draft pick. I heard a rumor the Jets had interest in Mathis but I think I might puke my brains out if Mathis joined that team. Or the Pats, or any team in the AFC. I could not see Polian trading with an AFC rival, maybe the Bills because he goes back with them. Wayne/Mathis have been tied to the Bills in rumors too. I heard about the 49ers possibly being interested in Wayne too.

As for players.......damn at this point in the season not sure what we would want or need. We have holes everywhere and are 0-5.

I would want picks to help the team get better next season personally.

Find it hard to believe we do make a trade but I speculated weeks ago that if we kept losing teams would call up and offer something eventually for Clark/Wayne/Mathis. Actually Mathis/Freeney are the two I felt have showed up the hardest every week this year.

TT doesn't give up draft picks that easily. But there are plenty of other teams who would be willing to give up a draft pick and maybe more. I can't blame you for not wanting him traded to anyone in the division or AFC as a whole. Your Colts might do well to foresake this season as lost and start looking to the draft next year. Hopefully you guys will get Luck, or trade the #1 pick and max it out and keep Manning around. But the problem with Manning, as you said, he eats up too much of the cap for himself.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I dont think Mathis would fit in our system. We need a pass rushing linebacker if anything.

OP
OP
Jules

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
TT doesn't give up draft picks that easily. But there are plenty of other teams who would be willing to give up a draft pick and maybe more. I can't blame you for not wanting him traded to anyone in the division or AFC as a whole. Your Colts might do well to foresake this season as lost and start looking to the draft next year. Hopefully you guys will get Luck, or trade the #1 pick and max it out and keep Manning around. But the problem with Manning, as you said, he eats up too much of the cap for himself.

I know. I am not sure we make trades since we hardly ever. But, it would not shock me if we moved one of these guys either based on rumors and them both being FAs after this year.

The Packers are pretty loaded. Just was wondering if another good pass rusher (assuming he would fit your D) would help you guys be more a lock for a repeat. You may not need one and you guys always suprise me on defense.

Actually the guy who seems to have slightly mailed it in so far is Dallas Clark. He has seemed done to me mentally. Mathis is still playing his heart out.

OP
OP
Jules

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
I dont think Mathis would fit in our system. We need a pass rushing linebacker if anything.

He might not after all these years in Indy but he is pretty much a LB playing a DE. Our D is small lol.

OP
OP
Jules

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
Im sure we could find a spot for Freeney though ;)

Wow I can't imagine Dwight and Clay on the same team lol.

I actually wonder if Freeney could be had for the right price? Naw I doubt it, but really at this point I am not sure what to believe.

Freeey/Mathis have been great this season. The rest of the D is bad though and so is our DC. We have two talented DEs and a bunch of crap at times.

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
I actually think he would help our pass rush but I can't see TT pulling the trigger here. It would probalby cost more than we need him for. I don't think the need on our pass rush is dire enough for TT to make a trade otherwise he would of done so already. A few weeks ago somebody was wearing their cheesehead hat out wanting to get somebody to replace the injured safety Nick Collins who has recently been moved to IR. Which also means we have a free roster space..... So I can't entirley dismiss the idea. Oh what I would give to be in TT's inner ear.

OP
OP
Jules

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
I actually think he would help our pass rush but I can't see TT pulling the trigger here. It would probalby cost more than we need him for. I don't think the need on our pass rush is dire enough for TT to make a trade otherwise he would of done so already. A few weeks ago somebody was wearing their cheesehead hat out wanting to get somebody to replace the injured safety Nick Collins who has recently been moved to IR. Which also means we have a free roster space..... So I can't entirley dismiss the idea. Oh what I would give to be in TT's inner ear.

You have a roster spot open? Oh, let the trade speculation begin! At least until the deadline is over. :)

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
You have a roster spot open? Oh, let the trade speculation begin! At least until the deadline is over. :)

I think we do! I'm not sure what they did with the spot Collins vacated when he went on IR, it may of already been filled. Unless anyone knows otherwise? Do we have one open?

OP
OP
Jules

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
I am bored. I hope someone makes a good trade. Anyone......

:)

OP
OP
Jules

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
Saw these on a Colts forum:

Incidentally, we might add, both Wayne and Mathis were held out of practice Thursday for non-injury related reasons. It’s not uncommon to give veterans a mid-week day off, but Wayne was listed as missing practice Friday for the same reason.

**UPDATED NFL NEWS**Source:Colts shopping DE Robert Mathis(Falcons / Jets / Raiders / Pats) all involved as of now (Colts want a #3)

I'm sorry, but the Pats can eat it. It will be a cold day in hell if we trade them a good pass rusher unless Polian wants to get extra security from Colts fans.

Members online

Latest posts