Would it be wrong for TT to go offensive with his 1st pick?

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He should take the best person available on defense. I think he'll pick up a free agent d lineman after the initial signing frenzy is over. Also, 72% of NFL players who have had neck fusions return to play--more of them are defensive backs than any other position; so it would be unusual if Collins doesn't play.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
By Dan Arkush

There's a lot more than meets the eye behind the recent re-signing of brawny OT Breno Giacomini, who avoided free agency with a two-year deal that could be worth up to $7 million, including incentives. "There are probably a lot of people around the league wondering why they would spend that kind of money on a guy like him, but the Seahawks honestly feel they're lucky to be getting him so cheap," one team insider said of the ex-Packer who excelled after being pressed into starting duty at right tackle after first-round draft pick James Carpenter suffered a torn ACL. Just how good did Giacomini play?

"Good enough to be the starting right tackle entering the offseason, and good enough that he was part of the reason that Marshawn Lynch went into Beast Mode down the stretch behind him" the insider said.

"Basically it will be up to Carpenter to win back the starting job — at whatever point he's ready to go again." We hear Carpenter possibly could start next season on the physically-unable-to-perform list.

shield4life

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I say you must always draft the best player available on the board. I'm really hoping tho that it's a LB or a DE even a corner wouldn't hurt ... Let's just hope Collins returns.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
FrankRizzo, just curious: What does that have to do with Thompson's first round pick?

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
15 and 1 with no defense. I'd say TT has done a hell of a job and won't argue with any pick he makes.

Rocky11

Superbowl bound Pack
Reaction score
If TT would go offensive with his first pick I would hope it would be a stud lineman. Our passing offense runs so much better when AR has time to throw. I think that is what make Brady so good. He always seems to have time. When he is hurried he is just like everyone else.

Southpaw

Endorphin Junkie
Reaction score
If TT would go offensive with his first pick I would hope it would be a stud lineman. Our passing offense runs so much better when AR has time to throw. I think that is what make Brady so good. He always seems to have time. When he is hurried he is just like everyone else.

Konz would make the most sense in that case. Especially if we lose Wells. Bulaga is playing well. I just hope Clifton can play well and stay healthy for another year. Then maybe next year we look for a replacement like Seantrel Henderson to be our franchise LT

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"Don't forgot to dance with the girl who brung ya"

TT has built a SB champion team whose depth of talent is second to none in the NFL. Why would he suddenly change to the more common "Knee Jerk Reaction System" of drafting?

fettpett

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Konz would make the most sense in that case. Especially if we lose Wells. Bulaga is playing well. I just hope Clifton can play well and stay healthy for another year. Then maybe next year we look for a replacement like Seantrel Henderson to be our franchise LT

IF Clifton comes back next season, he wont be starting, Newhouse will. Besides, they drafted Sherrod for the LT spot.

Southpaw

Endorphin Junkie
Reaction score
IF Clifton comes back next season, he wont be starting, Newhouse will. Besides, they drafted Sherrod for the LT spot.

Do you have an inside scoop? I'm sorry but Newhouse is terrible there is no way he's starting. He was a turnstile last year and if it weren't for Rodgers' athleticism he'd probably be on a slab.

Clifton came back in the last game of the season and only played for one half and looked better than Newhouse has at any point during the season.

fettpett

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Do you have an inside scoop? I'm sorry but Newhouse is terrible there is no way he's starting. He was a turnstile last year and if it weren't for Rodgers' athleticism he'd probably be on a slab.

Clifton came back in the last game of the season and only played for one half and looked better than Newhouse has at any point during the season.

nah, but Clifton is old and has a lot of injury problems the last couple years. Newhouse is young, turns 24 soon, and he went up against a LOT of top notch pass rushers. He's not the future of the LT by any means, but the coaches let him play there for the whole season (for the most part) and didn't move anyone unless they had too. Sherrod is the future after he comes back from the broken leg.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He could pick a dog.
Literrally a dog with a tail and that barks.
And I'd still trust that he knows what he is doing.

Bagadeez04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It would be tough to justify a first rounder, especially after he went all-offense last year. In my opinion he needs to spend a couple high draft picks on defense...because I think the "weak" positions are close to getting out of control.

If Ted isn't going to utilize FA, he's got to start adding talent to this defense...he can draft at pretty much any position.

I will say though...if a guy like Trent Richardson were to fall to us man it would be tough to pass that up. I'd hate to use a first rounder on a center though. Pouncey was the only guy i could seee using a 1st on a center...and there are no Pouncey's this year.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Clifton will be 36 before the start of the season and he’s due to make about $5.5M this season. I’ll be surprised if he’s back. He only played two series in the final regular season game and he didn’t look good IMO. He was pulled in the first half against the Giants in because of poor play and was replaced by Newhouse. Surprisingly he started the second half. Remember Rodgers leading the Packers down the field on their first possession of the second half? He had Jennings wide open to his left in Giants territory only to get the ball knocked out of his hand. It was Clifton who got beat badly - almost instantly - on that play and it was his guy who caused the fumble.

I was hoping Clifton could recapture the magic he found at the end of 2010 but he couldn’t. If you can stand re-watching the playoff game check to see if he ever gets down in a three point stance – I don’t think he did for that game or the game against the Lions. Even so, he looked very stiff pass blocking. Newhouse wasn’t very good but IMO he was better than Clifton was at the end of the season. And Newhouse is young and can – and has to – get better. With an off season to recover could Clifton come back better than he ended the season? It’s possible, but unfortunately I think he’s worn out; I don’t think he’s got another year in him.

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score
I did exactly the same thing, ThxJ. I re-watched the game and studied Newhouse vs. Clifton. Totally agreed that Cliffy just wasn't his old self. On the fumble play, it wasn't that he got beat by a nifty move or anything. He just could not keep up with the rush. I doubt it was just a case of being rusty. I think he is done.

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score
He could pick a dog.
Literrally a dog with a tail and that barks.
And I'd still trust that he knows what he is doing.

What position would the dog play?
  1. A tail-back?
  2. A running back who prefers to line up in the "dog"-bone?
  3. Or as an Offensive Guard-dog?
  4. Maybe a wide receiver and Rodgers could toss frisbees instead? The dog's favorite play would be a flea-flicker.
  5. Or a wet-nose tackle?
No matter the position, a dog joining the "Pack" sounds about right.

Also, if the dog was a defensive player, he would have no problems should he end up in Caper's dog house... And, the dog would be quite excited to hunt Bears. On the team bus, would the dog get to stick his head out of the window?

Just wondering.

It's the offseason.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
  1. A tail-back?
  4. Maybe a wide receiver and Rodgers could toss frisbees instead? The dog's favorite play would be a flea-flicker.
  5. Or a wet-nose tackle?

Also, if the dog was a defensive player, he would have no problems should he end up in Caper's dog house... And, the dog would be quite excited to hunt Bears. On the team bus, would the dog get to stick his head out of the window?

Just wondering.

It's the offseason.
That was good.
Thanx for the laugh!
:roflmao:

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
  1. A tail-back?
  5. Or a wet-nose tackle?

Just wondering.

It's the offseason.

If he was the backup QB, he'd be the under-dog. If he was related to Finley he'd be the hot dog....

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
  1. A tail-back?
  5. Or a wet-nose tackle?

Just wondering.

It's the offseason.
He would be good on defense against the wild cat.

Staff online

Latest posts