Would it be wrong for TT to go offensive with his 1st pick?

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have seen several mock drafts with us picking an offensive player with our first pick. Wondering if you guys would be okay with it or would go full forum riot?

FearThePack

13x World Champs!
Reaction score
It depends. If TT can pick up a DE and an OLB through Free Agency, then I say draft the best available player regardless of position, even if it's offense. If he isn't able to go get a DE and OLB on the market and he uses the first round pick on offense, I will be disappointed.

JTheGreat

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I saw a thing that had us getting a saftey if Collins career is over, which we will know by the start of the draft. I think he was from Texas but im not postive.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have seen several mock drafts with us picking an offensive player with our first pick. Wondering if you guys would be okay with it or would go full forum riot?
So someone might take offense if Ted Thompson picks offense?
So he better not take offense if no one wants to take offense.

All kidding aside...
Actually what I would take offense at is if he didn't pick any players at all.

I think the defense is fine. It just needs some work and new schemes or to do more pass rushing.
I have faith in the coaches and players to work on those issues.

If he does pick an offense player maybe some more help on the line or consider a running back.
But I think he'll pick someone who no one expected and will surprise us all.
Isn't that what usually happens?

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Him taking the Wisconsin center in a mock is what I was thinking.

Southpaw

Endorphin Junkie
Reaction score
Yes. I wouldn't be against drafting an Offensive player, but not in the first round.

Even if we lose Wells, drafting Konz is still not something I think we should do.

I do sometimes worry come draft day because as great as Ted can be at drafting, he can be equally as stupid.

I worry that Ted will put his faith in guys like Mike Neal and Eric Walden improving in the offseason and not drafting an End or an OLB. Or he'll pick a bum like Justin Harrell

Jordyruns

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Only if it is Konz and they are absolutly sold on him. If there is any doubt in Konz there is no way I would want any offensive player drafted.

I'm hoping this isn't an issue and Wells is resigned

GWheels

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm sure he will do what most do or says they do, "I picked the best player we had on the board that was available", whether it's defense of offense, let's get an impact player.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Assuming Nick Collins can still play football and the Packers add at least one defensive lineman and outside linebacker in free agency, then no, I would't mind.

I don't see what offensive position should/could be addressed in the first round, but why not. If you think about it, quarterback, receiver, tight end, tackle and guard would be a stretch.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd go ballistic. :mad: He needs to pick a player for the defense. I don't want to go through another year watching a defense as pourous as ours. We all know he isn't going to venture into free agency. There's got to be a LB, DE/DT, or DB available when he picks that measures just as good or close as an offensive player on his draft board.

We need a defensive player at any of the aforementioned positions more than an offensive player.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd go ballistic. :mad: He needs to pick a player for the defense. I don't want to go through another year watching a defense as pourous as ours. We all know he isn't going to venture into free agency. There's got to be a LB, DE/DT, or DB available when he picks that measures just as good or close as an offensive player on his draft board.

We need a defensive player at any of the aforementioned positions more than an offensive player.

I agree. Assuming the top players available are on offense, why not trade the pick?

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hell no, I wouldn't be mad. You take the best player available, regardless of position. It's what builds long term success.

L

Lunchboxer

Id rather get a defensive player. The D needs major work done. I do not want to see another season with the D being that horrible.

JTheGreat

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Id rather get a defensive player. The D needs major work done. I do not want to see another season with the D being that horrible.

I agree but its going to take more then getting a stud in the first round to fix our defense. Thats why I wouldnt be mad if we took the best possible player on the board and he was on the offense side of the ball. Im hoping a full offseason will fix our defense, along with maybe a free agent stud pickup.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No, the defense does NOT need "Major work done." Almost all of our issues on defense last season stemmed from the lack of a pass rush. That's not "Major work" needed, that's finding a guy who can help get to the quarterback. And Mike Neal may already be that guy, though I wouldn't mind picking up someone else to plug in for when he suffers his next season-long injury. Regardless, it's too soon to write him off.

You can never go wrong going with the best player available. Maybe it's a defensive guy, maybe an offensive guy, but either way, you can never have too many good players.

fettpett

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think Mike Neal is the answer...he's either been hurt or invisible. I'd prefer them to go OLB or DE/DT or Safety.

However, I don't want them to reach either, like TT did with Harrell, if there is a damn good Offensive player that will help the team, go for it. Otherwise, trade down. There is always fist round talent in the top of the 2nd round

Southpaw

Endorphin Junkie
Reaction score
Defense doesn't need major work done, but if Collins is not ready to go, then it's definitely going to complicate things a lot more.

realcaliforniacheese

A-Rods Boss
Reaction score
In TT I trust. The BAP has gotten us this successful and will continue to keep us championship caliber for years to come. If he grabs an O lineman, so be it, to me we gotta protect the franchise, the more depth we have on the O line the better I feel. A-Rod goes down and the show comes to a halt.

My gut says (and its a mighty big gut) he makes a move up in the draft this year. With all the picks we will have, he will have some chips to move around to get the BA Defensive player on his board in his value range if he really feels we have to address it now. Unless he decides to go into the FA this year. Gonna be interesting the next couple of months.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I for one would be OK with it because IMO Thompson has earned the benefit of the doubt. If Thompson picks a player on offense I’ll assume that player has a significantly higher rating than the others available, as was the case with Rodgers. Rodgers was clearly among the players in the top talent tier of that draft and Thompson just couldn’t pass him up at 24. If something similar happens – a player free falls - I’d expect the same result. And if that player looks to have just a slightly higher rating, I’ll assume Thompson’s attempts to trade down failed.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Defense needs major work done. There are needs at LB (two are needed), Safety, on the DL(at least one player needed there) and perhaps corner with an aging Woodson and the decline in play of Williams last year. I have little or no hope for improvement from within. That leaves the draft as we know Thompson won't be looking to free agency to solve problems.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
Mr. Thompson explained his rationale for going with the best player available on the board. He reasons that you never know if one of your important starters is going to go down. So you want someone behind them that may be at least competent enough to benefit the team. He will go for best available player.

Wood Chipper

Fantasy Football Guru
Reaction score
Unless their name is Justin Blackmon, Trent Richardson, or an offensive lineman then I sure hope we don't draft offense.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts