Worthy Boom or Bust

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I agree both Perry and Worthy are potential busts but both have incredible potential IMO. Both will have to be very coachable and both may need motivational "pushing". But both are physical specimens and that, along with trusting the coaching staff, in this case Greene and Trgo, is why I was very happy with both picks.

At least the article linked recognized the importance of the nickel formation. I don't know the percentage off-hand but Capers played nickel and dime, with just two DL, on a significant majority of the plays. That's where Worthy should shine, probably teamed mostly with Raji as one of the two DL. In the base he will have to "sacrifice" for the team because the job of the DL is usually to take on blockers to free up the LBs. Even if Perry struggles in coverage at OLB, I think both rookies should excel rushing the passer.

I've heard a couple of national "experts" on the radio say Worthy and Daniels aren't suited for the Packers D, ignoring the frequency Capers plays other than base D. On the Score radio (Bears' station) I heard someone from the Natonal Football Post site in analyzing the division say something like 'Perry is a one-trick pony - all he can do is try to beat the OT to the outside and Worthy can play the run but can't rush the QB'. He did like the Hayward pick though. I didn't hear the beginning of the segment so I didn't catch the guy's name but I do respect that site. BTW, he liked the Bears and Vikings draft but really didn't like the Lions' draft.

It was kind of funny listening to the Score before the draft because a few of their hosts talked as if the new Bears' GM Phil Emery was a drafting genius. To be fair that may be because of how bad his predecessor was (boy, do I miss ole Jerry!), because they described his drafting theory as always picking "safe" players - not high "ceilings" but not "low floors". While a couple of the hosts thought Emery's picks were riskier, they were pretty disheartened after the draft.

PackerChef

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I feel like the boom or bust label could easily be put on every draft pick, every year. For example look at guys in previous drafts that were considered "can't miss" or "safe". AJ Hawk, Arron Curry, and Jamarcus Russell are all examples of players in the their respective drafts that were expected to be amazing can't miss players and are all above average to complete busts.

I feel like until we see these guys in packers uniforms, playing in games, we have no idea who is going to be a bust and who is going to succeed.

realcaliforniacheese

A-Rods Boss
Reaction score
Yep its all speculation right now. The scouts have analyzed, the GM has picked. The Coaches will coach and then we will see what happens. Right now is a time to dream of what might be! Not of what could go wrong. I am intrigued with Moss and what he will develop into in a couple of years could you imagine if our O if he turns into a monster receiver.

Ahh The offseason Dreams.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My first question was going to be "why only boom or bust"? Why is just being a good player not an option? Then the writer goes on to say he actually believes they will fall somewhere in between so.......he made the point for me.

I look at Worthy like this. Yes, he took some plays off but let's not forget he wasn't being paid the big bucks to play college football. Lesson learned? Sure. It cost him plenty not going somewhere in the first round. I personally look at this as the best case scenario. He can recoup big bucks in the second go around contract year but will have to prove himself between now and then. Otherwise, he loses out twice.

Hey, if Perry and Worthy end up a notch below the Raji/CM3 draft I'm good and they are both athletic and good enough to prove to be at least that. The D needed faster and more athletic guys. We had too many Hawks, and Peprah's, and Wynn's out there. Not great athletes and not that fast. Speed kills and we were on the wrong side of the barrell so bravo to Ted for going straight to the heart of it.
IMO the cumulative effect of more overall team speed and athletic ability will show maybe more than the individual numbers.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree both Perry and Worthy are potential busts but both have incredible potential IMO. Both will have to be very coachable and both may need motivational "pushing". But both are physical specimens and that, along with trusting the coaching staff, in this case Greene and Trgo, is why I was very happy with both picks.

At least the article linked recognized the importance of the nickel formation. I don't know the percentage off-hand but Capers played nickel and dime, with just two DL, on a significant majority of the plays. That's where Worthy should shine, probably teamed mostly with Raji as one of the two DL. In the base he will have to "sacrifice" for the team because the job of the DL is usually to take on blockers to free up the LBs. Even if Perry struggles in coverage at OLB, I think both rookies should excel rushing the passer.

I've heard a couple of national "experts" on the radio say Worthy and Daniels aren't suited for the Packers D, ignoring the frequency Capers plays other than base D. On the Score radio (Bears' station) I heard someone from the Natonal Football Post site in analyzing the division say something like 'Perry is a one-trick pony - all he can do is try to beat the OT to the outside and Worthy can play the run but can't rush the QB'. He did like the Hayward pick though. I didn't hear the beginning of the segment so I didn't catch the guy's name but I do respect that site. BTW, he liked the Bears and Vikings draft but really didn't like the Lions' draft.

It was kind of funny listening to the Score before the draft because a few of their hosts talked as if the new Bears' GM Phil Emery was a drafting genius. To be fair that may be because of how bad his predecessor was (boy, do I miss ole Jerry!), because they described his drafting theory as always picking "safe" players - not high "ceilings" but not "low floors". While a couple of the hosts thought Emery's picks were riskier, they were pretty disheartened after the draft.
What show did you have on? I am guessing Mully and Hanley or Laurence Holmes.

TeamTundra

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I also read articles stating that Clay Matthews was undersized and wouldn't make it as
an every down player and that Aaron Rodgers wasn't athletic enough to elude blitzing
defenders.

Bagadeez04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If I'm not mistaken the Packers play more nickle defense than they do base 3-4...that won't change with the passing of today's game. That suits Worthy.

The conditioning I don't expect to be an issue long term. Like most D lineman, I don't expect much out of Worthy until at least year 2. This year I see him as part of a rotation (even with Hargrove out). And who knows, maybe he catches on and earns more playing time.

I feel good about the Worthy pick...much better than I do about Perry.

98Redbird

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Unfortunately, he not wrong. Especially those big guys up front. Nobody is going to convince me that Raji, as big as he is, didn't play 60%-70% on a few plays a game last year when he was playing a crazy amount of snaps. Those guys, just like everyone else get tired, and don't play balls out every single play. Hell I've even seen Matthews appear to take plays off, or just give up on a tackle if he's not making headway and it's later in the game, and that dude is known for his motor. Point is, these guys get tired, he's not saying anything that isn't true.

Now, how often he takes plays off and gets tired?? That's a whole different situation...

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree Raji played way too many snaps last year. I don't think it's his mindset however that taking plays off is acceptable. Somewhere in all this I'm remembering a Lombardi quote. "Once you learn to quit it becomes a habit."

slaughter25

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree Raji played way too many snaps last year. I don't think it's his mindset however that taking plays off is acceptable. Somewhere in all this I'm remembering a Lombardi quote. "Once you learn to quit it becomes a habit."
Perfect quote for this situation. Hope it is more of a big man getting tired than a straight up attitude issue.

Vltrophy

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm hoping Worthy will bust. Bust through the offensive line & bust one on the QB. Then he'll wind up BBBBBBOOOOOMMMMMIIINNNGGG!!!

packa7x

Cheesehead
Reaction score
First off, as for taking plays off, the big guys up front do because they get winded more easily. I'm more offended when WRs do it because those guys can run for days. TT seems to be trying to mitigate that issue by snagging tons of DL depth. Hopefully Hargrove (though I think he deserves 8 games) gets his sentence reduced so he can help spell the big guys up front. Muir should help there too. We had no depth last year.

As for Worthy, the plays off truly don't bother me. What does bother me is that he's much more of a 3-tech than a 5-tech. His other issue is short arms, he's going to have trouble getting inside some of the longer-armed OTs. Where Worthy excels is his ferocity with his arms. I guess it's a talent he developed to combat the short arms. If that translates to the pros and he adds a bit of bulk, he should be able to transition into a 5-tech. If he does that, he'll be boom.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We just can't afford to have Worthy be a bust. That would be a big setback for the Packers. As for the perceived attitude that Worthy doesn't try hard every play, I take that with a grain of salt. The idea of a player giving 200% every play is a bit of wish-fulfillment rather than reality.

Vltrophy

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
We just can't afford to have Worthy be a bust. That would be a big setback for the Packers. As for the perceived attitude that Worthy doesn't try hard every play, I take that with a grain of salt. The idea of a player giving 200% every play is a bit of wish-fulfillment rather than reality.
Hopefully he can BUST through the offensive line & either sack the QB or give CM3 a chance to

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts