Worst off-season ever

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Harrell was selected to replace Corey Williams, who will receive an offer he cannot refuse, and the Packers will not match....because his replacement is already on the roster.

The folks that ***** about the Harrell pick, are the same people who would ***** if there were no viable replacement on the roster for Williams when he leaves.

Some people like to *****!

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
However, can anyone answer me if Harrell is a RFA or UFA?

Yes Williams will become a restricted UFA... he is in his 4th year currently, so he will be free to test the market if unsigned...

EDIT... I thought it was fourth year, but this is what I found..source

Restricted Free Agents (RFA) are players who have completed three accrued seasons of service and whose contracts have expired. They have received qualifying offers from their old clubs and are free to negotiate with any club until April 21, at which time their rights revert to their original club. If a player accepts an offer from a new club, the old club will have the right to match the offer and retain the player. If the old club elects not to match the offer, it may receive draft-choice compensation depending on the level of the qualifying offer made to the player.

Bertram

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We should slap a 2nd rounder on him! I bet there's at least one team that wants him.

de_real_deal

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cool, lets keep drafting guys and letting them leave when they have some success. Free agency is garbage. What if Cory Williams was my favorite player and now we're letting him go because we dont want to pay up. This is why i hate baseball and i used to watch 200 games per year. I havent seen a full game in like 5 years now though. When do we draft the replacement for Harrell? In 2011 he is gonna have a good season and he's gonna start asking for more money so i think we should be proactive and draft his replacement next year.

Bertram

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When you have Pickett, Jolly, Cole and Harrell you don't pay big money for Corey Williams, you let him go and get a pick for him.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
de_real_deal said:
Cool, lets keep drafting guys and letting them leave when they have some success. Free agency is garbage. What if Cory Williams was my favorite player and now we're letting him go because we dont want to pay up. This is why i hate baseball and i used to watch 200 games per year. I havent seen a full game in like 5 years now though. When do we draft the replacement for Harrell? In 2011 he is gonna have a good season and he's gonna start asking for more money so i think we should be proactive and draft his replacement next year.

K. Y.

figure it out

de_real_deal

Cheesehead
Reaction score
de_real_deal said:

K. Y.

figure it out

Red lipstick

figure that out

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
de_real_deal said:

Great point. Cause that's what the Packers do. Jenkins=re-signed. Harris=new deal. Barnett=new deal. Kampman=re-signed. Driver=new deal. What are you talking about?

Baseball has 162 games in the regular season. Add 19 and if every playoff series goes full-length and you have 181....How you fit 200 in there.... Maybe it has been a while since you watched.

You complain about having no depth, but there's Harrel. Depth. TT is the GM for a reason. Cause he knows what he's doing. And if he says by drafting Harrel that he thinks he's more valuable as depth than those WR, S, TE, and OL that you wanted, I tend to lean more towards his opinion.

zoogies

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Baseball has 162 games in the regular season. Add 19 and if every playoff series goes full-length and you have 181....How you fit 200 in there.... Maybe it has been a while since you watched.

[pointless-aside]He could watch more than one team's games[/pointless-aside]

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
de_real_deal said:

The Packers have kept their "home grown" talent around. Probably as much as any team in the entire NFL. However they are not 10 for 10 in that area. Corey Williams COULD leave and that's what probably opened the door for Harrell. I'm sure the Packers want him back but it also depends on what type of price he thinks he can get on the open market. If I were an NFL player, I'd test free agency when my contract was up because the contracts teams will give up are ridiculous. By drafting Harrell the Packers ensured themeselves a backup plan. Again i don't agree with it but their is rational behind the move. Ted Thompson wasn't throwing darts at his draft board.

The dates your throwing out there are out of this world. Do you really believe Harrell won't have an impact until 2011? If he's not playing well in his 3rd season, chances are he will be released.

It's not about hitting your 1st round pick 100% of the time. Ron Wolf proved that when he was in Green Bay. If a General Manager can find gems in rounds 2-7 he's doing a pretty good job even if he has one or two 1st round busts.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A few weeks ago one of the Green Bay journalists mentioned that the team may have concerns about Corey Williams maintaining his high level of play if he gets a big contract. Apparently there may be some character issues involved. So that's part of the equation as well.

Of course, Harrell should be more than just a replacement for Williams anyway, considering where he was drafted. He should be a significant upgrade. Hopefully he will be a significant contributor by the end of this season and a big-time player within a few years.

KGB94SACKEM

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think we have seen enough positives out of Harrell to feel comfortable letting Williams walk. Pickett looks to be going downhill. Cole is average. Jolly may be something if he continues to improve. I say re-sign Corey until someone else steps it up

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Harrell isn't a bust and he isn't a contributor either. He's had a potential of 3 games. I think most agree it takes 2 - 3 years to make a decision on someone being a bust or contributor.

Bobby Roberts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So many people are that we need to draft the best player available. I think it was obvious from TT's comments that he truly believes that Harrell was the best player available.

TT has done a good job in drafting several players the last couple of years that can contribute. He was in a good position where he didn't need to reach on a player in this draft in order to fill a need.

I have no problem with the way TT has drafted. My only complaints about his offseason decisions relate to no action in FA. We have plenty of cap space and we didn't look to take advantage. In the end, it appears that he was right because we're playing great and we still have a ton of cap space. I guess that's why he's making the decisions and I'm criticizing those decisions on an internet forum...

GO PACK GO!!!

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
de_real_deal said:

I think we're doing pretty good in '07 so far don't you? I think I'll worry about 2011 when it comes around and the scenario you just mapped out is pure conjecture. 100% pure, unadulterated, GUESS. Hate to shatter your crystal ball. You tell me who knew three years ago Jenkins was going to be this kind of player? Nobody, that's who. Anyone says they did is a liar.

Pretty weak when the best you can ***** about is this crap.

Cubbard's gettin' kinda BARE there aint it slick.

Just hang in there we're going to lose one sooner our later and you can start all the sky is falling pissing and moaning then.

Timmons

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If we can remove the illiterate and illogical remarks from this thread it might actually be worth reading.

For those of you who want the cliff notes version, the illiterate are claiming that TT still sucks.

Bertram

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think we have seen enough positives out of Harrell to feel comfortable letting Williams walk. Pickett looks to be going downhill. Cole is average. Jolly may be something if he continues to improve. I say re-sign Corey until someone else steps it up

Pickett downhill? He's playing extremely solid, he is reliable and a top DT in this league.

millertime

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I bet if we put 2nd round tender on Williams, the Bears will take him from us.
He'd be a good cover 2 DT, and they need bodies there. I love our DT rotation now but Pickett, Jolly, Harrell, Cole, and Muir is good too.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Pickett has been rock solid this year. The Packers have one of the best run defenses in the NFL and he is one of the reasons why along with Jolly and Williams. The Defensive Tackles do their job and it also frees up Nick Barnett and A.J. Hawk. One of the reasons why our linebackers are able to make plays is because of the Defensive Tackles we have. Out of the four, each one is a starting caliber player.

I agree that we haven't seen enough out of Harrell to let Williams walk. However if Corey Williams has a good but not great year and wants Pro Bowl type of money then I think the Packers are forced to make a tough business decision.

KGB94SACKEM

Cheesehead
Reaction score
KGB94SACKEM said:

Pickett has been rock solid this year. The Packers have one of the best run defenses in the NFL and he is one of the reasons why along with Jolly and Williams. The Defensive Tackles do their job and it also frees up Nick Barnett and A.J. Hawk. One of the reasons why our linebackers are able to make plays is because of the Defensive Tackles we have. Out of the four, each one is a starting caliber player.

I agree that we haven't seen enough out of Harrell to let Williams walk. However if Corey Williams has a good but not great year and wants Pro Bowl type of money then I think the Packers are forced to make a tough business decision.

I don't think he made one stop against SD. I just don't think Pickett is playing at the level he was last year. He is not the force in the middle like I thought he would be. No big deal as we have other guys. Just my two cents

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think he made one stop against SD. I just don't think Pickett is playing at the level he was last year. He is not the force in the middle like I thought he would be. No big deal as we have other guys. Just my two cents

Probably because SD was running away from the middle....

LINK

Of 28 rushes, 10 were to SD's right or the middle (4 of those were up the middle), which would be where Pickett plays. 27 total rushing yards to the right or middle, out of 73 total rushing on the day.

I would say that's good production, but what do I know? :shrug:

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
I just look back to my Big Gil's numbers and say... who cares.. no one was running up the gut on him. Pickett is the same type of space eater.. look at Barnett and companies numbers... they feed off his presence no doubt.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts