Worse break up, Favre and the Pack? Or Lebron and the Cavs?

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Favre vs. LeBron: Tale of the Hate - Daily Norseman

I think the Cavs owner showed no class personally with the letter (in comic sans!) and I really dont blame Lebron since the cavs couldnt bring in anyone that was worth a damn other than 38 yr old shaq.

What do you guys think? Worse break up?

I say Cavs only because they arent close to winning and wont be for several years while the packers are right there.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Favre with us was way worse, the breakup per se. Because Favre was the face of the franchise, he played for 15 years in GB and won a SB for us. But the breakup wasn't the worst part, the worst part was him going to MN. And the team and the region weren't left completely lost.

So, breaking up, LeBron was the biggest ********* BY FAR. But going to the arch-rival, that's a completely different realm of douchiness...

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
Favre because he forced a trade. And I hate when players do that. Especially after the way he called out Javon Walker for doing the same thing.

Had he been a free agent and left, like LeBron, it'd be a virtual tie.

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd say it's pretty much 50-50 with both guys doing their former franchises no good by departing during the times when they needed them the most. Favre a little less sincewe have a much better QB in Rodgers in the making. However it's still tough to decide on Favre's case since the Packers organization were the ones who told him that he couldn't come back to play for us without a fight whereas in Lebron's case, the Cavs left a good offer on the table in order to bring him back. It's too early to tell whether or not Cleveland will suffer BIG without James, but let's face facts, he single handedly made the Cavs the way they are.

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
Not only will the Cavs suffer BIG without LeBron, but the city of Cleveland will as well. From what I've been reading, LeBron was pretty much the sole thing holding up the economy of the neighborhoods around Quicken Loans Arena.

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not only will the Cavs suffer BIG without LeBron, but the city of Cleveland will as well. From what I've been reading, LeBron was pretty much the sole thing holding up the economy of the neighborhoods around Quicken Loans Arena.

In terms of the business aspect of it, you're right. Lebron was not only the face of the Cavs but of Cleveland as well. He brought so much marketing and attention that spurred a new movement in the downtown area. However I was speaking about the Cavs in general in that they won't be a scrub team like the Bobcats or the Clippers. Maybe a team that just barely makes the playoffs, who knows? But again, it's too early to judge, anything cam happen.

DILLIGAFF

Cheesehead
Reaction score
People are missing the point in the comparison. Green Bay was done with BF (did not want him back or would not give him the starting job), the Caves wanted Lebron back for the future and beyond. At the time Packer fans were split, you pick numbers, but it was not unanimous. I think everybody wanted Lebron back in Ohio.

Lebron left at his prime, BF retired and Green Bay moved on. BF played longer than most QBs do and his future abilities where questioned. Lebron has many years left of his best ball ahead of him.

Lebron I believe left 30 million on the table to take a lesser contract with Miami, allowing Miami more money to spend on building a team, something Lebron would not give to the Caves to help them build a team around him.

Clearly the people of Ohio are in a much worse situation than Packer fans, not even close.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
These 2 situations are different. LeBron was a FA and Favre was not. LeBron wanted to go to a winning organization. Favre was slated to be the Packers' starting QB in 2008 until he retired. Favre LEFT a winning organization. LeBron's 'little' announcement ceremony was pretty crass and I feel for the fans in Cleveland. But I have no repect for that owner. I understand he is bitter but he sounds like a spoiled child in that letter!

DILLIGAFF

Cheesehead
Reaction score
These 2 situations are different. LeBron was a FA and Favre was not. LeBron wanted to go to a winning organization. Favre was slated to be the Packers' starting QB in 2008 until he retired. Favre LEFT a winning organization. LeBron's 'little' announcement ceremony was pretty crass and I feel for the fans in Cleveland. But I have no respect for that owner. I understand he is bitter but he sounds like a spoiled child in that letter!

BF was traded to the Jets by the organization instead of keeping him on the roster. If the Packers were committed to BF he would be still playing for them.

Lebron was a free agent, the organization was committed to him and gave him the best contract offer, he chose to leave for a lesser contract in Miami.

Lebron left clear and simple, retirement and leaving are not the same thing.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
BF was traded to the Jets by the organization instead of keeping him on the roster. If the Packers were committed to BF he would be still playing for them.

Lebron was a free agent, the organization was committed to him and gave him the best contract offer, he chose to leave for a lesser contract in Miami.

Lebron left clear and simple, retirement and leaving are not the same thing.

Cleveland may have wanted LeBron but they didn't surround him with other stars so he chose to go to a team he felt had a better chance to win it all.

If Favre hadn't 'retired' he'd still be the Packers starter. Of course Favre never really retired, did he? He used the retirement card to get out of GB and New York so he could go to the team he wanted to go to all along = MN.

:viksux:

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cleveland may have wanted LeBron but they didn't surround him with other stars so he chose to go to a team he felt had a better chance to win it all.

If Favre hadn't 'retired' he'd still be the Packers starter. Of course Favre never really retired, did he? He used the retirement card to get out of GB and New York so he could go to the team he wanted to go to all along = MN.

I think the Cleveland organization tried everything it could to help Lebron. It might not have been their best moves but it's apparent that they tried to give Lebron what he needed. Despite losing Carlos Boozer to a better contract, they found a serviceable replacement in Ilgauskas. They added another potential star in Mo Williams to aide Lebron but he ended up being a bust. They were so desperate that they even added Shaq to the mix in '09 in hopes of freeing up Lebron to aide his scoring. You can't blame the Cavs for not trying.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jess;283883 Favre because he forced a trade. And I hate when players do that. Especially after the way he called out Javon Walker for doing the same thing. .[/QUOTE said:
Dead right. The Interceptor got what he wanted--including the loss of the fans who cheered him for most of 16 years. When he reverts to throwing interceptions this season the biggest cheer will be when he's replaced.

Clay's Jock Strap

TRK's Hero
Reaction score
Favre vs. LeBron: Tale of the Hate - Daily Norseman

I think the Cavs owner showed no class personally with the letter (in comic sans!) and I really dont blame Lebron since the cavs couldnt bring in anyone that was worth a damn other than 38 yr old shaq.

What do you guys think? Worse break up?

I say Cavs only because they arent close to winning and wont be for several years while the packers are right there.

I think they are apples and oranges situations. I think BrINT fahvrah decided he didn't want to play for the team any more and basically set out on a course to lead the team to let him go with no damage to his carefully crafted rep. When it didn't go the way he planned I think it got dirty and ugly. I think fahvrah was exposed as the self-centered d-bag he really is. Nobody ever really ever denied that Lebron was a self-centered d-bag. But, he is also a kid. Nobody outside of Cleveland would have faulted him for leaving had he had the sense to do it in a respectful way. He isn't a big thinker and took the advice of his handlers to put on this stupid show on ESPN... Maybe some day (or maybe not) he will be grown up to understand how wrong and cold hearted it was to publicly humiliate the people of Cleveland like he did on national TV. But I truly do not believe that Lebron the "man child" knew any better. He has never developed mentally as a man due to how much the world has catered to him and bowed to him his entire life - like King Tut... Fahvrah was a late 30s MAN when he pulled the **** he did... There is no excuse for him to have engaged in the **** he did - like the Gretta interview amongst other things. All Lebron needs to do is take out a full page ad in the Cleveland Plain Dealer apologizing for his poor judgement in doing that ridiculous ESPN show (although he probably won't) and most folks will probably forgive him. There is NOTHING favrah could do at this point to be forgiven by those he has lost. I think the answer to which breakup is worse is obvious for several reasons - even though the people of Cleveland are stinging pretty badly right now.

And even though I agreed with what Dan Gilbert had to say, he was dumb to say it.

aaronqb

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Tough question ... both were pretty bad.

In the case of Favre, I feel both Favre and the Packers handled it poorly. Bottom line is once Favre decided to retire the Packers decided to move on and did not look back. The marketing offer seemed a little silly at the time; Favre's interview with Greta was pretty bad also. But, at the end of the day, the Packers are in a better spot with a contending team and Favre is in a better spot for him with a very good veteran team that needed only a QB. And both the Packer brand and the Favre brand have thrived.

In the case of LeBron, again both sides handled it poorly. I feel LeBron was wrong to make such a big spectacle and announce to his employer of 7 years and his city on national TV that he would be leaving. Seems like a huge slap in the face to me. And, Gilbert has come off with little class with his comments and letters.

While it still needs to play itself out, I don't think the Cavs recover from this very quickly - it'll probably be 10 years until they contend again. For LeBron, I think this ends up hurting his legacy and his brand even if he wins championships since it will not be his team (like in Cleveland), but instead a situation where he is one of two (or three).

So, I guess I talked myself into saying that the LeBron/Cavs split is worse.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Just to clarify one thing....Right before the giants play off game Andrew Brandt went to Bob Harlan with the marketing plan..So while it was odd it came out during this retirement thing, it was in the works while Brett was still playing

OurWarNow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think they are apples and oranges situations. I think BrINT fahvrah decided he didn't want to play for the team any more and basically set out on a course to lead the team to let him go with no damage to his carefully crafted rep. When it didn't go the way he planned I think it got dirty and ugly. I think fahvrah was exposed as the self-centered d-bag he really is. Nobody ever really ever denied that Lebron was a self-centered d-bag. But, he is also a kid. Nobody outside of Cleveland would have faulted him for leaving had he had the sense to do it in a respectful way. He isn't a big thinker and took the advice of his handlers to put on this stupid show on ESPN... Maybe some day (or maybe not) he will be grown up to understand how wrong and cold hearted it was to publicly humiliate the people of Cleveland like he did on national TV. But I truly do not believe that Lebron the "man child" knew any better. He has never developed mentally as a man due to how much the world has catered to him and bowed to him his entire life - like King Tut... Fahvrah was a late 30s MAN when he pulled the **** he did... There is no excuse for him to have engaged in the **** he did - like the Gretta interview amongst other things. All Lebron needs to do is take out a full page ad in the Cleveland Plain Dealer apologizing for his poor judgement in doing that ridiculous ESPN show (although he probably won't) and most folks will probably forgive him. There is NOTHING favrah could do at this point to be forgiven by those he has lost. I think the answer to which breakup is worse is obvious for several reasons - even though the people of Cleveland are stinging pretty badly right now.

And even though I agreed with what Dan Gilbert had to say, he was dumb to say it.

I'm not so sure that he didn't want to play specifically with our team any more and wanted so badly to go to Minnesota. 2007 was an AMAZING season. We were one play away from another Superbowl. It doesn't make sense that he felt the need to go to another team. Also, I remember the interview where he retired vividly...I don't think he was making that up. I believe Brett, at least AT THAT TIME, felt he was truly done with the game of football. The heartbreak of how it ended, the thought of having to go through the grind of another season, the possibility that he may never get that close again, his body not being able to hold, and etcetera, all factored into his decision...as he stated.

Obviously, we've learned that he can continue to play. We've learned that he wants to still play. Even with this bs charade going on now in Minn, everyone is aware that he'll be back. I'm not trying to defend Favre. I've come to accept the fact that he is truly a primadonna, BUT, it truly doesn't seem like he had some master plan to go to the Vikings all along. The logic doesn't add up. Plus, this is Favre, who can't decide when to bend down and tie his shoelaces or take another couple of steps first. :icon_cool:

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not so sure that he didn't want to play specifically with our team any more and wanted so badly to go to Minnesota. 2007 was an AMAZING season. We were one play away from another Superbowl. It doesn't make sense that he felt the need to go to another team. Also, I remember the interview where he retired vividly...I don't think he was making that up. I believe Brett, at least AT THAT TIME, felt he was truly done with the game of football. The heartbreak of how it ended, the thought of having to go through the grind of another season, the possibility that he may never get that close again, his body not being able to hold, and etcetera, all factored into his decision...as he stated.

Obviously, we've learned that he can continue to play. We've learned that he wants to still play. Even with this bs charade going on now in Minn, everyone is aware that he'll be back. I'm not trying to defend Favre. I've come to accept the fact that he is truly a primadonna, BUT, it truly doesn't seem like he had some master plan to go to the Vikings all along. The logic doesn't add up. Plus, this is Favre, who can't decide when to bend down and tie his shoelaces or take another couple of steps first. :icon_cool:
Brett Favre says long-term injury isn't a concern for him: 'The damage has already been done' - The Huddle: Football News from the NFL - USATODAY.com

"There was just silence. I said, 'Well, what are we gonna do?' They made it pretty clear I wasn't going to play there, and I said, 'How about the Vikings or even the Lions?' I wanted to stay in the same division. They said that wasn't going to happen, but maybe Tampa. I said, 'Fine, trade me to Tampa. I'll whip your ***** in week four.'
He wanted to play against GB in any way. He wasn't going with the Jets.

The retirement after the Jets season WAS A SCHEME. There's no other way to see it. He then went to the team that was going to play against GB, and that had the best chances to win. Didn't matter that it was one of the biggest rival.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If it was about winning then he had as good of a chance if not better in NY

OurWarNow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's an interesting article. It definitely shows how badly he was gunning for GB, you are right. But to think he sacrificed that season and staged it in a scam to get to the Vikings...? Idk. The one thing I DO know about Favre, is that he WAS trying with the Jets. He didn't just play half-assed. I watched their season. I guess if he truly staged everything to get to Minnesota at the end, he's smarter than I originally thought.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If it was about winning then he had as good of a chance if not better in NY

If it was about winning then why did he "retire" in March of 08? Why would a guy want to leave a team that just weeks ago played in the NFC Championship game? I suspect he had his heart set on playing in Minneapolis all along. He just took a one year detour in NY.