World Cup Brazil 2014

Wolf Packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Southbank, Molineux, Wolverhampton, England
Englands World Cup squad:

Goalkeepers: Fraser Forster (Celtic), Ben Foster (West Bromwich Albion), Joe Hart (Manchester City).

Defenders: Leighton Baines (Everton), Gary Cahill (Chelsea), Phil Jagielka (Everton), Glen Johnson (Liverpool), Phil Jones (Manchester United), Luke Shaw (Southampton), Chris Smalling (Manchester United).

Midfielders: Ross Barkley (Everton), Steven Gerrard (Liverpool), Jordan Henderson (Liverpool), Adam Lallana (Southampton), Frank Lampard (Chelsea), James Milner (Manchester City), Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain (Arsenal), Raheem Sterling (Liverpool), Jack Wilshere (Arsenal).

Attackers: Rickie Lambert (Southampton), Wayne Rooney (Manchester United), Daniel Sturridge (Liverpool), Danny Welbeck (Manchester United).

Standby: John Ruddy (Norwich City), Jon Flanagan (Liverpool), John Stones (Everton), Michael Carrick (Manchester United), Tom Cleverley (Manchester United), Andy Carroll (West Ham United), Jermain Defoe (Toronto FC).

About the best Roy could have chosen I guess, one or two points though:-
- I'd have taken Ruddy over Forster, even though i feel Forster may actually be the better keeper, we'll never know because of the level he plays at.
- If Ashley Cole is 100% fit (which i guess we dont know for sure) he should have gone instead of Baines, better defender imo.
- Swap Stones for Smalling, I fail to see what Smalling offers yet, he's not a RB and isn't strog enough for a CB.
- I'd have taken Carroll over Wellbeck, neither are going to start any games unless there were a number of injuries occur, and i feel Carroll has a much better impact to make off the bench.

Just my opinion of course.

PackerFan71

Life on the Edge
Reaction score
Englands World Cup squad:

Goalkeepers: Fraser Forster (Celtic), Ben Foster (West Bromwich Albion), Joe Hart (Manchester City).

Defenders: Leighton Baines (Everton), Gary Cahill (Chelsea), Phil Jagielka (Everton), Glen Johnson (Liverpool), Phil Jones (Manchester United), Luke Shaw (Southampton), Chris Smalling (Manchester United).

Midfielders: Ross Barkley (Everton), Steven Gerrard (Liverpool), Jordan Henderson (Liverpool), Adam Lallana (Southampton), Frank Lampard (Chelsea), James Milner (Manchester City), Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain (Arsenal), Raheem Sterling (Liverpool), Jack Wilshere (Arsenal).

Attackers: Rickie Lambert (Southampton), Wayne Rooney (Manchester United), Daniel Sturridge (Liverpool), Danny Welbeck (Manchester United).

Standby: John Ruddy (Norwich City), Jon Flanagan (Liverpool), John Stones (Everton), Michael Carrick (Manchester United), Tom Cleverley (Manchester United), Andy Carroll (West Ham United), Jermain Defoe (Toronto FC).

About the best Roy could have chosen I guess, one or two points though:-
- I'd have taken Ruddy over Forster, even though i feel Forster may actually be the better keeper, we'll never know because of the level he plays at.
- If Ashley Cole is 100% fit (which i guess we dont know for sure) he should have gone instead of Baines, better defender imo.
- Swap Stones for Smalling, I fail to see what Smalling offers yet, he's not a RB and isn't strog enough for a CB.
- I'd have taken Carroll over Wellbeck, neither are going to start any games unless there were a number of injuries occur, and i feel Carroll has a much better impact to make off the bench.

Just my opinion of course.

Looking at that squad in all honesty i dont think they have a cat in hell's chance, getting out of the group will be a task in itself. Having said that without the pressure of expectation they will no doubt reach the semi's ---- dont put money on it. Agree with you on Carroll, he's a loose cannon but a dangerous one when he wants to be. Forster is a better keeper than Joe Hart, dont be fooled by the league he plays in a very good stopper (just ask Barca) if he played in England it would be at a very top club.

Last edited:

PackerFan71

Life on the Edge
Reaction score
David Luiz Barca bound after the World Cup, a good move hes more suited for them. Diego Costa joining Chelsea from Atletico. Seems alot of people are comparing him with Drogba i hope he's half as good.

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
Slowly getting in the mood for World Cup Football this time but I thought buying this shirt could be a good start to the oncoming, exciting football weeks and the German World Cup championship ;)
Any of you guys played football/soccer in one of these shoes ? :)

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
''Copa Mundial'' - for me the best World Cup

They took off Gordon Banks and Bobby Charlton at 2-0 so sure were they of a win............did not happen. :sneaky:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/26927320

Hmmm, I liked the 1986 WC as well and of course 1990 in Italy was another World Cup I will never forget.
Cannot play media. Sorry, this media is not available in your territory. HA, BBC it is, it is available in my territory.... :p:D

PackerFan71

Life on the Edge
Reaction score
Hmmm, I liked the 1986 WC as well and of course 1990 in Italy was another World Cup I will never forget.
Cannot play media. Sorry, this media is not available in your territory. HA, BBC it is, it is available in my territory.... :p:D

Hopefully you tube is allowed in Germany Nessie gotta love the sound track. :cry::roflmao:

PackerFan71

Life on the Edge
Reaction score
This keeper is a favorite of mine, one of the greats. What could he have done different he asks ummm? kick the ball i guess? :D

Bundesbiers

1. FC Eintracht Bamberg
Reaction score
This keeper is a favorite of mine, one of the greats. What could he have done different he asks ummm? kick the ball i guess? :D

Classic! The old swing and a miss.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
On purpose, or not? There is an advertisement for World Cup flashing on screens in the local malls. It features a variety of pictures of U.S. soccer in their white kits from games in the past. If one watches closely, you will see a quick shot of Schweinsteiger in the German White kit flash on the screen. I would be curious to know if an ad developer thought it was a clip of the U.S. and put it in unknowingly. LOL.

Bundesbiers

1. FC Eintracht Bamberg
Reaction score
How many German-Americans make the USA 23 man squad is a good question... My guess is these 5.

Jermaine Jones, Fabian Johnson, John Brooks, Timothy Chandler, Julian Green

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
How many German-Americans make the USA 23 man squad is a good question... My guess is these 5.

Jermaine Jones, Fabian Johnson, John Brooks, Timothy Chandler, Julian Green
What do you think about Jermaine Jones ? Most of us German fans just dont like him, Eintracht fans even hate
him. :D
Does the US team need a dirty player like Jermaine Jones ? :cautious:

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

We`ve got a Carlsberg advert showing on the t.v. at the moment building up Englands chances at the World Cup, (Yes, we actually keep producing them...sheesh ). I`m looking forward to see the South American teams playing. I like Chile myself, but whoever it is we play we`ll get stuffed.
One day we`ll do it but sadly not likely in my lifetime...lol
Hey PF71, have you been following that "Road to Rio" series with the two comedians Mark Watson and Henning Weine ?, it`s been really interesting looking at the mentality of the different nations .

Members online

Latest posts