OP
Sandolf

Sandolf

Blue Moon Rising
Reaction score
Anyway - I wonder how you could understand Dutch ? Strange language :D

It's easier than Schwäbisch. :laugh: :D

Can you decipher this Platt?

Trau kien Oss van vörn, kien Perd van achtern un kien Minsk üm die to!

Platt, Kölsch, Letzeburgisch, Nederlands... they are all kind of related. I have had a fair bit of exposure to all of them.

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's easier than Schwäbisch. :laugh: :D

Can you decipher this Platt?

Trau kien Oss van vörn, kien Perd van achtern un kien Minsk üm die to!

Platt, Kölsch, Letzeburgisch, Nederlands... they are all kind of related. I have had a fair bit of exposure to all of them.

Thats hard Sandolf.... :D "Trau keinem Ochsen von vorn, keinem Pferd von hinten und keinem Menschen um dich herum....." what means dont trust the ox in front of you, dont trust the horse behind and dont trust anybody around you..." ;)
There are not many people left who still speak Platt, mostly elderly people.
I guess its the same with Gaelic, Breton or any other old language though they do a lot to preserve the old languages. A few schools even offer Platt classes nowadays !
Btw - this guy from NDR is well known and very popular for his Platt shows, surprising, isnt it ? He was born in Ethiopia :D
http://www.ndr.de/903/wir_ueber_uns/yareddibaba125.html

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think its a group that Italy and Uruguay will qualify from the South Americans will be very difficult opponents and they will be used to the conditions.
Yes, thats true but especially teams from Southern Europe should have a good chance to handle the climate conditions as its not that different except the humidity. Will be more difficult for teams from Northern Europe.
But we will win the World Cup anyway ! :p;) If not I expect Jogi Loew to be sacked....

OP
OP
Sandolf

Sandolf

Blue Moon Rising
Reaction score
There are not many people left who still speak Platt, mostly elderly people.

I used to spend a lot of time near a place called Horumersiel... (even after moving to the Rheinland). It was a bit too far away for a weekend house. So I never really lost my connection to Norddeutschland.

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
I used to spend a lot of time near a place called Horumersiel... (even after moving to the Rheinland). It was a bit too far away for a weekend house. So I never really lost my connection to Norddeutschland.
Its nice there, I've been in Carolinensiel, Jever or Bensersiel several times.

Btw - right after the World Cup draw the first special issues are published :eek::D

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Bundesbiers

1. FC Eintracht Bamberg
Reaction score
Thats not nice, PackerFan71, not nice.....:roflmao:

Btw - where is Croak, the only US American who likes soccer/football, at least on this forum ;)
Germany against USA, isnt it awesome ? :)

Count me in as an US American. I hate we drew Germany. I'd rather play Brasil or Spain. And just to rub it in, we got drawn with Ghana, the very last team I need to see.

Bundesbiers

1. FC Eintracht Bamberg
Reaction score
I'm here, cheering for Germany all the way! My U.S. friends are sweating bullets. But at least one of them told me he can't wait to rub it in when the U.S. pulls off the upset. :roflmao::roflmao::roflmao: I told my friends that this will be an altogether different German team than that silly back up team that played the US this year. Those of us who were wearing Germany jerseys got ribbed pretty hard coming out of the stadium in D.C. So many were yelling "Germany sucks" and "USA, USA". My son kept asking them how many world cup trophies the U.S. had won. :sneaky:

Kind of hard to call the Germany 2nd team a silly back up team. Mertesacker played, he's a first teamer. Howedes is a captain for Schalke, Julian Draxler and Shurrle could be starters, but are not scrubs for a backup team. Podolski is a starter and he played, Miroslav Klose played and we know how he is. Not quite a silly backup squad if you ask me. But if you qualify that squad as silly, then aren't you saying they have no depth?

Bundesbiers

1. FC Eintracht Bamberg
Reaction score
This is kind of a thorny issue. Recently I went to a Canada -USA friendly in Toronto. A scalper sold me a ticket in the US fan block... (which he of course did not mention). It was an interesting experience, but I did have to move even before the opening kick off. But over the years my stance towards the American fans has softened considerably. I admire their passion in supporting their team. Unfortunately they are desperately uninformed when it comes to the subtleties of the sport. I worked for a time on a program called Fox Soccer News. It was a good show but was killed off along with Fox Soccer Channel. It is very sad.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

(I'm in the middle).

I know these guys. Sad day that Fox Soccer went out.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
Kind of hard to call the Germany 2nd team a silly back up team. Mertesacker played, he's a first teamer. Howedes is a captain for Schalke, Julian Draxler and Shurrle could be starters, but are not scrubs for a backup team. Podolski is a starter and he played, Miroslav Klose played and we know how he is. Not quite a silly backup squad if you ask me. But if you qualify that squad as silly, then aren't you saying they have no depth?

I was at that game. They were short all the Bayern players and if I recall there was only one Dortmund player there. Wollscheid, Jansen, Aogo, played half the game. Are they really world cup calibre? Ter Stegen was a terrible goalie. Is he world cup calibre? The team we watched on the field that day was a mere shadow of the German World cup team.

Here is the likely starting team. You'll see what I meant when you can see that only one of these players played that day.

GK: Manuel Neuer

LB: Marcel Schmelzer

CB: Benedikt Hoewedes

CB: Mats Hummels

RB: Philipp Lahm

DM: Bastian Schweinsteiger

DM: Toni Kroos

LW: Marco Reus

CAM: Mesut Ozil

RW: Thomas Mueller

ST: Mario Goetze (false 9)

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Xparent Green Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
Count me in as an US American. I hate we drew Germany. I'd rather play Brasil or Spain. And just to rub it in, we got drawn with Ghana, the very last team I need to see.
Agree, you never know what you get with an African team in your group and especially Ghana has some real good players like Essien or Kevin-Prince Boateng what makes them dangerous. :cautious:

Bundesbiers

1. FC Eintracht Bamberg
Reaction score
I was at that game. They were short all the Bayern players and if I recall there was only one Dortmund player there. Wollscheid, Jansen, Aogo, played half the game. Are they really world cup calibre? Ter Stegen was a terrible goalie. Is he world cup calibre? The team we watched on the field that day was a mere shadow of the German World cup team.

Here is the likely starting team. You'll see what I meant when you can see that only one of these players played that day.

GK: Manuel Neuer

LB: Marcel Schmelzer

CB: Benedikt Hoewedes

CB: Mats Hummels

RB: Philipp Lahm

DM: Bastian Schweinsteiger

DM: Toni Kroos

LW: Marco Reus

CAM: Mesut Ozil

RW: Thomas Mueller

ST: Mario Goetze (false 9)

I'll give you that the GK they used that day was terrible. But hey, it's not like we asked them to bring their 2nd team. They chose that on their own. I'd be shocked if Mertesacker is not a starter in Brazil. Regardless, Germany had quality players on the field that day, and we ended up winning. We still had to have the quality to put it in the net.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
I'll give you that the GK they used that day was terrible. But hey, it's not like we asked them to bring their 2nd team. They chose that on their own. I'd be shocked if Mertesacker is not a starter in Brazil. Regardless, Germany had quality players on the field that day, and we ended up winning. We still had to have the quality to put it in the net.

They didn't have a choice. The German cup was held that weekend. So a bunch of the starters couldn't come. The U.S. didn't play all that great. Ter Stegen had an own goal and Klose had a questionable disallowed goal. What it looked like that day was that Joachie was experimenting with guys to see who could cut it and who couldn't. There really wasn't quality play on the field that day.

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think both of you guys are right. In fact players like Reinartz, Draxler, Westermann, ter Stegen or Nicola Müller will struggle to make the final roster for Brazil though they played against the USA.
So obviously there wasnt our best team on the pitch that day, the reason why was mentioned by Croak.
Anyway - even the 2nd team should have been good enough to beat the USA but they simply didnt.
Nobody cared about the loss here in Germany and we all know it will be a completely different German team in Brazil when both teams play each other next time.
With good reason the reasonableness of this trip was widely discussed in our media.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
I think both of you guys are right. In fact players like Reinartz, Draxler, Westermann, ter Stegen or Nicola Müller will struggle to make the final roster for Brazil though they played against the USA.
So obviously there wasnt our best team on the pitch that day, the reason why was mentioned by Croak.
Anyway - even the 2nd team should have been good enough to beat the USA but they simply didnt.
Nobody cared about the loss here in Germany and we all know it will be a completely different German team in Brazil when both teams play each other next time.
With good reason the reasonableness of this trip was widely discussed in our media.

This is true, Nessie. I think Klinsman has brought the U.S. team in a positive direction since the last world cup, but watching Bundesliga a lot and watching MLS, I don't think the U.S. is at that level yet.

I'll make you a bet Bundesbiers, like the one with Nessie. If Germany beats the U.S., you have to drink two Yuenglings in my honor. If the U.S. wins, I'll drink a couple in yours. ;)

Bundesbiers

1. FC Eintracht Bamberg
Reaction score
This is true, Nessie. I think Klinsman has brought the U.S. team in a positive direction since the last world cup, but watching Bundesliga a lot and watching MLS, I don't think the U.S. is at that level yet.

I'll make you a bet Bundesbiers, like the one with Nessie. If Germany beats the U.S., you have to drink two Yuenglings in my honor. If the U.S. wins, I'll drink a couple in yours. ;)

Well there's no doubt that the Bundesliga is better football than MLS, there's no argument there, but a lot of our national players play in Europe, not the MLS. So our guys have good experience with the fast paced football.

Jermaine Jones plays for Schalke
Fabian Johnson play for Hoffenheim
John Brooks plays for Hertha Berlin
Julian Greene plays for Bayern (he's switching to the USA team although I don't know if he will make the 2014 roster)
Jozi Altidore plays for Sunderland
Geoff Cameron plays for Stoke
Alejandro Bedoya plays in France.
Tim Howard plays for Everton
Sacha Kjlestan plays for Anderlecht
Michael Bradley plays for AS Roma
Clint Dempsey has played for Fulham and Spurs and now going back to Fulham on a loan.

Our team is not made up of MLS players, although we have a few that do. I don't believe that the USA will beat Germany in the group stage, but I'm hoping for 2nd. If you beat both Ghana and Portugal, that will go a long way for us to go through if we can get a win and a draw combined against them as well.

I have no problems with a friendly drinking bet (I love beer), but we do not get Yuengling in Las Vegas. If the USA did win, you'd be drinking 2 of the hoppiest IPA's from San Diego (my home town). :)

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
Well there's no doubt that the Bundesliga is better football than MLS, there's no argument there, but a lot of our national players play in Europe, not the MLS. So our guys have good experience with the fast paced football.

Jermaine Jones plays for Schalke
Fabian Johnson play for Hoffenheim
John Brooks plays for Hertha Berlin
Julian Greene plays for Bayern (he's switching to the USA team although I don't know if he will make the 2014 roster)
Jozi Altidore plays for Sunderland
Geoff Cameron plays for Stoke
Alejandro Bedoya plays in France.
Tim Howard plays for Everton
Sacha Kjlestan plays for Anderlecht
Michael Bradley plays for AS Roma
Clint Dempsey has played for Fulham and Spurs and now going back to Fulham on a loan.

Our team is not made up of MLS players, although we have a few that do. I don't believe that the USA will beat Germany in the group stage, but I'm hoping for 2nd. If you beat both Ghana and Portugal, that will go a long way for us to go through if we can get a win and a draw combined against them as well.

I have no problems with a friendly drinking bet (I love beer), but we do not get Yuengling in Las Vegas. If the USA did win, you'd be drinking 2 of the hoppiest IPA's from San Diego (my home town). :)

Oh, I love hoppy beers!! It's a deal. But I don't know if San Diego beers are sold here in PA. Sierra Nevada is. Altidore, Howard, Bradley and Dempsey are world class. But it wasn't long ago that an "unnamed player" on the team was complaining that Klinsmann is trying to get them to play like Spain or Germany and this player said; "That's not our style."

On the German side I also read that Loew likes to use Mario Gomez (if healthy) and Marco Reus. It seems he also likes to play Boateng a lot too. (But Nessie will tell you, I'm not sold on him yet.) The potential for this team could be loaded.

Bundesbiers

1. FC Eintracht Bamberg
Reaction score
Oh, I love hoppy beers!! It's a deal. But I don't know if San Diego beers are sold here in PA. Sierra Nevada is. Altidore, Howard, Bradley and Dempsey are world class. But it wasn't long ago that an "unnamed player" on the team was complaining that Klinsmann is trying to get them to play like Spain or Germany and this player said; "That's not our style."

On the German side I also read that Loew likes to use Mario Gomez (if healthy) and Marco Reus. It seems he also likes to play Boateng a lot too. (But Nessie will tell you, I'm not sold on him yet.) The potential for this team could be loaded.

The Germans are completely loaded, that's why I was distressed to be drawn in the same group. I think they make the finals, against whom I don't know. Just hoping to finish 2nd. Yeah, somewhere after the 1st WCQ game in the hex, the team started believing in Klinsmann, but before that there was some unrest in the locker room. We all know Klinsmann likes his German-Americans (as do I), but some people don't want to call them "Real Americans", but they have a USA passport so I have no problem with it.

I think Gomez and Reus should be starters. Klose is getting up their in years.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
The Germans are completely loaded, that's why I was distressed to be drawn in the same group. I think they make the finals, against whom I don't know. Just hoping to finish 2nd. Yeah, somewhere after the 1st WCQ game in the hex, the team started believing in Klinsmann, but before that there was some unrest in the locker room. We all know Klinsmann likes his German-Americans (as do I), but some people don't want to call them "Real Americans", but they have a USA passport so I have no problem with it.

I think Gomez and Reus should be starters. Klose is getting up their in years.

I would be happy if the U.S. won a world cup. It would add more interest and prestige to the game here.

America IS supposed to be the melting pot of the world. So I don't have a problem with any of them playing.

BTW - I drink beer in moderation for my health. I had serious surgery in 2001 that left part of my digestive system a mess. The medication the Doc originally prescribed was dissolving the enamel on my teeth. So using a veterinarians trick for cows, we switched to a beer or two a day and it worked like a charm: with Doctor's approval no less. I have to confess though, that my favorite beer is Guinness. They really know how to brew a good beer.

PackerFan71

Life on the Edge
Reaction score
I would be happy if the U.S. won a world cup. It would add more interest and prestige to the game here.

America IS supposed to be the melting pot of the world. So I don't have a problem with any of them playing.

BTW - I drink beer in moderation for my health. I had serious surgery in 2001 that left part of my digestive system a mess. The medication the Doc originally prescribed was dissolving the enamel on my teeth. So using a veterinarians trick for cows, we switched to a beer or two a day and it worked like a charm: with Doctor's approval no less. I have to confess though, that my favorite beer is Guinness. They really know how to brew a good beer.

I think the US will do pretty good in Brazil, but in all honesty they have as much chance as winning it as the Bavarian team you like has of winning the Superbowl. ;) Your a Guinness guy too? i used to be aswell (Draught only) though. Now as far as alcohol is concerned less is more. :)

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the US will do pretty good in Brazil, but in all honesty they have as much chance as winning it as the Bavarian team you like has of winning the Superbowl. ;) Your a Guinness guy too? i used to be aswell (Draught only) though. Now as far as alcohol is concerned less is more. :)
Ha, another Guiness/ Stout guy here too, PackerFan71 ! ;)
But Im an IPA, Bitter, Ale, Lager, Kölsch, Alt, wheat beer guy as well. I like them all :D
Btw - the non alcoholic (!) Erdinger wheat beer is awesome, one of the very few, drinkable non alcoholic beers I know.:tup:

PackerFan71

Life on the Edge
Reaction score
Ha, another Guiness/ Stout guy here too, PackerFan71 ! ;)
But Im an IPA, Bitter, Ale, Lager, Kölsch, Alt, wheat beer guy as well. I like them all :D
Btw - the non alcoholic (!) Erdinger wheat beer is awesome, one of the very few, drinkable non alcoholic beers I know.:tup:

Non alcoholic nessie is it like very light ale ie no buzz at all? it must taste good that can be the only reward. ;)

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
Non alcoholic nessie is it like very light ale ie no buzz at all? it must taste good that can be the only reward. ;)
Yepp, Packerfan71, absolutely no alcohol and no buzz at all. And though I am a convinced beer drinker and most of the non alcoholic beers taste aweful, this one is very good, especially on a hot summer day. So if you ever have the opportunity - dont miss to try one ! ;)

PackerFan71

Life on the Edge
Reaction score
Yepp, Packerfan71, absolutely no alcohol and no buzz at all. And though I am a convinced beer drinker and most of the non alcoholic beers taste aweful, this one is very good, especially on a hot summer day. So if you ever have the opportunity - dont miss to try one ! ;)

Under normal circumstances non Alco beers are a complete no-no ill look out for it, in the meantime Magners Cider will do. :)

Latest posts