Woodson on offense

dannychau22

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers | Woodson to see action on offense
Wed, 26 Apr 2006 19:16:41 -0700

Tom Silverstein, of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, reports according to agent Carl Poston, CB Charles Woodson picked the Green Bay Packers over the Tampa Bay Buccaneers because head coach Mike McCarthy agreed to let him play on offense as well as play cornerback. "I think the fact that Brett committed to another year, that was one thing Charles was interested in," Poston said. "Another point is that they agreed to let Charles play offense as well as defense. That proved to be very beneficial to them. They wouldn't let him do that in Oakland." According to Poston, the Buccaneers, coached by Jon Gruden, weren't interested in allowing him to play on offense and wanted him to play safety. McCarthy said that when Woodson visited the Packers April 3, he told Woodson that he would be able to play some wide receiver if he signed in Green Bay. Woodson is expected to start at cornerback opposite CB Al Harris.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
its gonna be an interesting year. Sounds creative. Sherman woulda never done this.

SuperRat

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why won't it happen. It isn't unheard of. College players do it. Our tackle almost got a touchdown catch last year. The Patriots have used linebackers to score touchdowns.

rabidgopher04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I guess we'll just have to wait and see if any fruit develops from this. New England did this a couple years ago because they didn't have enough CBs. Worked well.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let him get whacked by Collins a couple times in practice, and he wont want to do it anymore anyway.

SuperRat

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah I can see this happening on a limited basis. Anybody remember Seahawks backup qb Seneca Wallace make that sweet catch in the playoffs?

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
are you talking about when that WR (can't remember who) played cornerback? that's not exactly the same thing. if we need woodson to play offense, or if the org. thinks he can really help, then great... but if it's just to keep him happy, then it reminds me of a snotty rich kid who asks for a unicorn for their birthday and their parents say OK.

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Please no Woodson on Offense, If he was good enough to be a WR he would be a WR. I am sure he would be OK, but I think any of our WR's probably better at the WR spot than he is.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
pyledriver80 said:
Please no Woodson on Offense, If he was good enough to be a WR he would be a WR. I am sure he would be OK, but I think any of our WR's probably better at the WR spot than he is.

Let's not knock it before we try it.

If Woodson still has his blazing speed, let's let him post out a few times. Could be good to stretch out a defense here and there.

Maybe a end around?

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
if we have injuries again, we might NEED woodson there, and maybe McCarthy can still run a good curl route too.

Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:
If Woodson still has his blazing speed, let's let him post out a few times. Could be good to stretch out a defense here and there.

I've heard that the style MM plans to use will almost eliminate the long pass, instead relying on short slant routes for gains, allowing the WR to use their playmaking ability to get extra yards.

kmac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Redskins FS Sean Taylor plays about 5 plays a game as a WR. This isn't unheard of at all, and if it's done on a limited basis, could be very smart.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
kmac said:
Redskins FS Sean Taylor plays about 5 plays a game as a WR. This isn't unheard of at all, and if it's done on a limited basis, could be very smart.

For playing 'about' 80 plays a season he doesn't have any stats(atleast none that I can find).

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
short passes with the burden of responsibility resting on the receiver to stretch for extra yardage... god, that makes me wish javon wasn't such a ******.

Bobby Roberts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It sounds fine to me. We can use him to mix things up a bit. I'm sure he'd attract attention just being out there. He's an extremely athletic player who obvious will know how to read the defense very well. He doesn't have the blazing speed anymore, but I think he can find plenty of openings in a zone defense with 3-4 WR sets.

Right now if Walker doesn't play for us, WR is one of our weaker positions on this team. So I can see Woodson getting some time, essentially about the same as a #5 WR. My only concern about the whole situation was the comment that Woodson is best when he's focused. His played suffered the past couple years by being moved to various positions on defense. So I hope that he doesn't lose focus at CB for a couple plays at WR.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This also puts a little pressure on javon walker.

Thinking that we are gonna use woodson as a WR might make him a little more uneasy, and it give TT a little leverage. If we got a decent WR corp come mini camp time. We would be more willing to let walker rot. if i were walker id start getting my jog on. Time to warm up those legs and get that attitude right.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i think walker will play for us this year. key word: play. i bet he shapes up. ted thompson has handled this brilliantly. he has not wavered, and has left walker with no breathing room. even if walker isn't happy about it, he'll play his *** off. watch.

Chamuko

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So WR corps will be:

1.- Driver.
2.- Gardner.
3.- Boerigter/Woodson (you pick).
4.- Lucas.
5.- , 6th, etc until we get to
28th Brett Favre.
29th Ferguson.

Looks good to me !!!

4thand26

Cheesehead
Reaction score
mattresell said:
I don' think we're talking about the guy taking 10+ snaps each game. He'll probably just be a part of certain sets, much like Carolina uses Peppers. My guess is that he takes 15 offensive snaps this year.

Peppers is 6'7", 275lb, played basketball and can jump. He is in there for one reason - jump ball at the goal line. If you are looking to stretch the field, Woodson used to be fast, and maybe still is. But, I would bet that you could get a wide receiver in the 7th round that is as fast as Woodson. IF he is injury prone, having him play on offense is a bad idea.

SuperRat

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the main point is to have a guy that the other team doesn't include in their gameplan. They aren't going to spend time talking about how to stop Woodson as a reciever. It is a change of pace thing. Opposing teams are going to know the strengths and weaknesses of our normal wideouts, but with Woodson, it will be all new. Like others have been saying, he won't be used often, just every once in awhile to shake things up.

Members online

Latest posts