Wondering about the negativity

JbShell

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Were all this pessimism is coming from on this site. I mean granted there are things that are happening that are worisome or worth a head scratch but nothing that would make me think that the Pack is in the midst of a 1980 to 1990 run.

1. TT while he moves like a turtle in molasses I dont really feel he has made any what I would call stupid moves. He hasnt overpaid as of yet for an over the hill veteran that would contribute little or nothing to the overall long term health of the organization.

2. Favre while I wish he would give a yay or nay. (thinking he will say yay) His being in GB or not Being in GB does not make or break the packs season. MM's philosiphy is condusive to protecting a QB from mistakes. This works well for Farve and Rodgers. (remember Favre was all over the place from 92 to 94 but GB still had winning records) Getting away from Shermans fun and gun style of Throw it up and hope someone catches it is gone.

3. MM he is a young coach. By analyzing what he wants to bring to the Pack it is a back to BAsics type WC offense of ball control **** and dunk. This in my mind is very positive.

4. D looks like it will be a very solid unit.,. While maybe no big names it will eventually cause nightmares to O coordinators as the season progresses.

5. O again looks ok. Maybe nothing spectacular but it will be a scheme offense reminicent of Mike Holmgren. No exposing a QB to long bombs every play. Also feel that MM will take the predicability out of things that was common place in the Sherman Rossley era.

6 Draft this is the most exciting by virtue of a dismal season the position the Pack is in creates numerous scenarios that will bring back the ol days of Wolf wheeling and dealing his way and finding good prospects who will become contributing players. (look for a trade of walker to the Broncos. Which could get us another good draft pick.)

So as I look at it I would say that a prospect for a good season is better than a bad one. The offseason is not over yet so alot can happen. Remember slow and steady wins the long race.

There are things to be apprehensive about as anytime you will wonder about something new. But I am not ready to go Chicken Little on the next season.

OP
OP
J

JbShell

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I dont think it matters if they are NEo anything People as a rule dont like change. But that is the wierd thing the NFL changes every year

D.Levens

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
JB..

I'd like to here what you say after Favre retires and the Packers are in the midst of a 3-12 season....

I don't care what you say...but a player like Brett Favre is going to make a difference. How can it not?

This reminds me of all the people who were saying.."Be Patient..Sherman and Rossley have a plan. They are good coaches. Everything will be ok".

Well..you saw how that worked out now didn't you?

This is something the fans would like to avoid in the future!

OP
OP
J

JbShell

Cheesehead
Reaction score
D.Levens said:
JB..

I'd like to here what you say after Favre retires and the Packers are in the midst of a 3-12 season....

I don't care what you say...but a player like Brett Favre is going to make a difference. How can it not?

This reminds me of all the people who were saying.."Be Patient..Sherman and Rossley have a plan. They are good coaches. Everything will be ok".

I am not saying Everything will be ok. DL. What I AM saying is that all the angst and everything else has no bearing whatsoever in real life. The season has not been played yet so whether the Pack is 13-3 or 3-13. FAVRE IS NOT THE WHOLE TEAM. I remember unlike most people what was said after Majkowski went down. OH GOD IT IS THE END OF THE PACK WITH THIS BRETT FAVRE GUY. As long as MM is a good coach he can with with his personnel. SHERMAN was not a good coach because he became predictable and could not handle the changes in roster period

D.Levens

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I just thought the "Packer Organization" and "Packer Fans" would exhibit some of that "class" that they are always talking about when it comes to dealing with their HOF QB who has laid it on the line for them...

year after year...

OP
OP
J

JbShell

Cheesehead
Reaction score
D.Levens said:
I just thought the "Packer Organization" and "Packer Fans" would exhibit some of that "class" that they are always talking about when it comes to dealing with their HOF QB who has laid it on the line for them...

year after year...

YOU WILL NOTICE DL THAT THIS POST IS NOT I REPEAT REPEAT NOT JUST ABOUT FAVRE. but like most people they feel that Brett is the entire Packer organization so what the HEll

D.Levens

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Denver had the "decency" to send Elway out "on top"....

Once Favre is gone for good..you will have a million years to totally rebuild the Packers..

why start now while he is still here?

OP
OP
J

JbShell

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well DL I for one have never bought the Rebuild idea anyway. NFL teams are always in flux. The teams go back and forth on the pendulum of respectability and mediocraty. The Pack have been a fortunate team to have been on top for so long. So Parts Favre so parts deft moves of GM's and Coaches. The Pack became stagnant under Sherman.

While TT does his JOB picking up cast off parts of other teams is not always a bad thing. Some players fit into schemes better than others. This also gives the Pack depth. If TT blew his *** on one big FA the he would have no depth to back up the move. IE Joe Johnson under Sherman. Big Name FA are nice but can tend to create rifts of disparity in positions.

This offseason is not done and the season has yet to be Played and it will be with or without Favre and other players. It is the nature of the beast.

D.Levens

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
A talent like Favre comes along once in a blue moon...

Hell..it should be easy to build a team around him to take them to the SB...unfortunately Sherman was too incompetent...

and now it seems that TT doesn't have the interest to....

(I'll give you a hint...upper echelon receivers is where you start...)

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
D.Levens said:
(I'll give you a hint...upper echelon receivers is where you start...)

LIKE T.O. and Keyshawn?

with a rookie head coach?

that sounds like a GREAT idea! no.

D.Levens

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Is he not able to handle them...?

Maybe he shouldn't be coaching in the NFL...eh?

OP
OP
J

JbShell

Cheesehead
Reaction score
OK DL I will keep this Favre thing going I guess.

You own a company. You have a guy say one to two years away from retiring. Do you sell the farm trying to bring in new equipment to make this one guy happy. OR do you be penny wise and pound prudent and try to make the team competitive within the structure of the current conditions.
Last yeare was just that way. When machines broke TT knew he did not have the cash to buy new machine and had to go with refurbished. While his moves did not bear fruit it was the best he had.

Favre also BY HIS OWN admition did not help the cause. 29 picks is not the way to make headway into being competitive. That is why his comment about the pack building a better team is a bit short sighted on his part. Favre was part of the issue last year.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The only upper echelon WR in Free agency this year was TO and there's no way someone like Mike McCarthy could of handled him.

Randell El isn't a true #1 let alone #2..

We don't have the compensation for Lloyd. 3rd round pick compensation and that would leave us with 4 picks to work with in other trades possibly for Faine.

Keyshaun isn't an upper echelon WR. His skills have diminished and he was looking for one last pay day.

Unfortunately for the Pack there wasn't much of a market for big name WR's this year... 3 of the above were overpaid for and the other one probably wouldn't of signed here anyways..

D.Levens

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
That's hypocritical...

You have a bad company falling down around you...and you go and blame the workers...

How about this...YOu've got one guy who has been money in the bank for a lot of years...and you ride him back to glory...

OP
OP
J

JbShell

Cheesehead
Reaction score
D.Levens said:
That's hypocritical...

You have a bad company falling down around you...and you go and blame the workers...

How about this...YOu've got one guy who has been money in the bank for a lot of years...and you ride him back to glory...

I am not blaming the workers. but Machines do break you try to help get replacement and they dont work. YOU CANNO REBUILE OR BUILD A TEAM AROUND ONE MAN IT CANNOT BE DONE IN THE NFL. Name one team that did that. DO YOU THINK THE BRONCOS REBUILT THE TEAM AROUND ELWAY OR WAS ELWAY REQUIRED TO ADAPT TO THE CONFINES AND RESTRICTIONS OF WHAT HE HAD> Favre has to make a decision. it is selfish and hypocrytical to say I want to make sure that TT makes the team better so I can win. Should he not be saying I want to be part of winning and I did not do my best last year to achieve that. I need to help my own cause.

If you go around in life waiting for other to make you happy you will never be that one thing you want. Favre controls how competitive the team is on his part. he has to play within the confines and constraints of the team.

Favre reflected Sherman.last year he was in capable of adapt to the personnel shifts and made mistakes by pushing the issue on many passes.

Before you go balistic understand that yes some of his teammates helped create those mistakes.. That said 15 to 17 picks were all Favres. 5 were just bad bounces and around 6 to 9 were recievers bad routes pulling away from the ball ext.

D.Levens

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Do you really think the Pack would have won if Favre would have conformed to the confines of SherRossley?

It was a no-win situation...

But..like Peyton Manning, Marino, and Elway..you put the horses in front of them and they will perform...

That kind of talent IS the team..and you build around IT..that's the point.

OP
OP
J

JbShell

Cheesehead
Reaction score
D.Levens said:
Do you really think the Pack would have won if Favre would have conformed to the confines of SherRossley?

It was a no-win situation...

But..like Peyton Manning, Marino, and Elway..you put the horses in front of them and they will perform...

That kind of talent IS the team..and you build around IT..that's the point.

Come on Pack 66 didnt Sherman call the Plays??? ahhh maybe he didnt and then that said Brett must have called his plays. hmmmmmm not a pleasent prospect huh

D.Levens

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
What are you talking about..??

Rossley called the plays...

(and right badly..i might add..)

PWT36

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Dlevens posted:"What are you talking about..??

(and right badly..i might add..)"

When Rossley had his heart problems 5 games into the 2004 season, Head Coach Mike Sherman took over the duties of play calling for the rest of the time while he was coach in Green Bay But in '04, when the Packers turned around a 1-4 start to finished 10-6, that was Sherman calling all the plays during the last 11 games of the '04 season in which the Packers went 9-2 and he decided to contine to do so in '05 season.

OP
OP
J

JbShell

Cheesehead
Reaction score
D.Levens said:
What are you talking about..??

(and right badly..i might add..)

As Pwt pointed out no Rossley did not. While it was his Offense and his plays Sherman called them

Anubis

Cheesehead
Reaction score
D.Levens said:
Is he not able to handle them...?

Maybe he shouldn't be coaching in the NFL...eh?

By your logic that would mean that Bill Parcells "shouldn't be coaching in the NFL" as the rumour is he is mulling retirement before the 2006 season over the T.O. deal. :roll: I wouldn't have like to have seen what the Pack's locker room would have turned into with MM dealing with an ego like that.

GO PACK!!!

Robert C. Hedley

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
JbShell said:
D.Levens said:
JB..

I am not saying Everything will be ok. DL. What I AM saying is that all the angst and everything else has no bearing whatsoever in real life. The season has not been played yet so whether the Pack is 13-3 or 3-13. FAVRE IS NOT THE WHOLE TEAM. I remember unlike most people what was said after Majkowski went down. OH GOD IT IS THE END OF THE PACK WITH THIS BRETT FAVRE GUY. As long as MM is a good coach he can with with his personnel. SHERMAN was not a good coach because he became predictable and could not handle the changes in roster period

Pro sports NEVER has anything to do with "real life". It's an escape, something to take your minds off your troubles. I'm sick most days, and it keeps my mind off what i'm going through. So you think, you contemplate what the Pack will be like without Favre, and so on. Otherwise, you dwell on the REAL world, the robberies, the accidents, the murders......and so on. You worry about how your bills will get paid, what is around the corner, and other "real" things. This is an escape for me. I can laugh, get frustrated, laugh some more, wonder WHAT the HECK does Favre have to think about? And so on. I don't let any of that keep me awake at night. I don't sit there at night going "Oh my god, what will we DO without BRETT!?!?" I want him back, but if he retires i still will be watching the gmaes this year (if i'm still here)

D.Levens

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
PWT36 said:
Dlevens posted:"What are you talking about..??

(and right badly..i might add..)"

When Rossley had his heart problems 5 games into the 2004 season, Head Coach Mike Sherman took over the duties of play calling for the rest of the time while he was coach in Green Bay But in '04, when the Packers turned around a 1-4 start to finished 10-6, that was Sherman calling all the plays during the last 11 games of the '04 season in which the Packers went 9-2 and he decided to contine to do so in '05 season.

This can not be proven...

Although Sherman "said" he called the plays..Many Packer fans believe that was just lip service and Rossley was actually calling the majority of the plays. Even if Sherman did call the plays, I don't understand your point because many people on this forum complained of predictability and lack of imagination in the play calling department...so it's not something to crow over...

But the original point was that JBShell said that "maybe Brett called the plays"..which he certainly did not...!

Members online

Latest posts