Wolf says underrated Thompson did an 'amazing' job

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wolf says Thompson did an 'Amazing' Job:

Wolf says underrated Thompson did an 'amazing' job

Ron Wolf said he saw only five or six Packers games this season, including one in person and the others when Green Bay appeared on national TV.

The former Packers general manager even admits to falling asleep during the Oct. 29 Broncos game and missing Brett Favre's dramatic game-winning touchdown pass to Greg Jennings in overtime.

So, Wolf doesn't claim to be an expert on the NFL or the Packers anymore.

But one thing he is sure of is the stellar job GM Ted Thompson has done over the past three years.

Wolf gave Thompson his front-office start in the Packers' personnel department in 1992. Thompson later took a job in Seattle and helped Mike Holmgren lead the Seahawks to a Super Bowl berth.

"He comes to Green Bay and proves it's no fluke what he did in Seattle," Wolf said in a telephone interview earlier this week from his winter residence in Florida. "Look what he's done up there. It's amazing how he was able to put that whole team together."

Wolf believes Thompson is underrated.

"I think he played 11 years in the league," Wolf said. "He survived as a free agent making the team every year at a real tough position. Those linebackers, they're a little different breed from any other group of players. He has that inner toughness that all those guys possessed. You guys don't see that, but it's there. I don't think anybody sees that.

"But he has that and the confidence in himself and his ability. He's got the pelts on the wall to prove it."

----------------------------------

I thought that was neat.

And on a totally unrelated note, can a moderator start an offseason calendar(important dates, when FA begins,ends,draft dates,etc) and sticky it(for the remainder of the offseason)? That would be sweet.

Reaction score
Pfft, what would Wolf know about building a Superbowl team?

It's pretty funny he fell asleep during the Broncos game, but it seems like the people who are in the position to know something about Ted (Wolf, Holmgren, Harlan) all believed Ted would work his magic here, and he seems to have done that.

Raider Pride

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cut The Crap TROM!

You made your freaking POINT a MILLION TIMES.

Let's STOP the "I TOLD YOU SO THREADS"

Loser! Drunk! Wanna Be! Cross Dresser! Salvation Army Thrift Store Used Underware Shopper!

Why don't you post something about what Wolf said about "BRETT"?

Sheeeeese. It never ends.

OP
OP
tromadz

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Raider Pride said:
Cut The Crap TROM!

You made your freaking POINT a MILLION TIMES.

Let's STOP the "I TOLD YOU SO THREADS"

Loser! Drunk! Wanna Be! Cross Dresser! Salvation Army Thrift Store Used Underware Shopper!

Why don't you post something about what Wolf said about "BRETT"?

Sheeeeese. It never ends.

who told?

bigfog

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The TT way of building and the Mike Sherman way of building are too completely different things.

After Sherman "lost his juice", I was interested to see how Thompson would repair this team. Through shrewd trades, clever drafting and with the help of excellent scouting - he got this team back to the top, or at least near the top.

He's a force to be reckoned with. I believe the other teams in the NFC North are jealous of TT, if not the league.

retiredgrampa

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I, too, believe TT has done an excellent job. (even though he didn't follow my suggestions). This year, though, his job will get harder because he can no longer use the "shotgun" approach, i.e. we have so many holes that we get stronger merely due to numbers. This year he will have to be very selective since we are improving in several areas and need upgrades in only a few, and those, such as S position, are open to argument. I also assume that since numbers will be less important, that he'll trade down less in the hopes that quality is now object #1. As fans, we are at a distinct diadvantage since no coach or GM is going to "tell the whole truth" about the talent/attitudes of the players. That's inside stuff. But we can hope and that is why we can eagerly anticipate every off-season and its possible moves. OL is my favorite target, as usual.

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TT has done an excellent job. His ability to assess talent is outstanding. He hired a coach and a staff that has proved to be able to coach players up. Being able to have a quality draft will always keep us in the running as players choose free agency. It's important to keep that pipeline going. It's also important to fill in the holes with quality free agents. In other words I think his greatest test will be this year because this team is a few players away from maybe being the best in the league.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So much for Ted Millen or whatever he was being called.

I was actually thinking about the job he done in 3 years and mainly about the draft.

Off the top of my head

1st Rounder - Aaron Rodgers - He eventually will be the starting QB for the Packers one way or another. Just a matter of when.
2nd Rounder - Nick Collins - Starting Safety
4th Rounder - Brady Poppinga - Starting Linebacker
4th Rounder - Junius Colston - Backup Guard and even started a few games.
7th Rounder - Michael Montgomery - Backup to Aaron Kampman

1st Rounder - A.J. Hawk - Starting Linebacker
2nd Rounder - Daryn Colledge - For the better or worse he's been the starting guard.
2nd Rounder - Greg Jennings - Starting receiver and dare I say one of the biggest playmakers in the NFC right now.
3rd Rounder - Jason Spitz - Starting Guard
4th Rounder - Will Blackmon - Punt Returner and backup CB.
6th Rounder - Johnny Jolley - Started a few games at DT.

1st Rounder - Justin Harrell - Ended up playing quite a few snaps late in the year. Although the jury is still out.
2nd Rounder - Brandon Jackson - Backup RB and played well in the divisional playoffs.
3rd Rounder - James Jones - #3 Receiver
3rd Rounder - Aaron Rouse - Backup Safety and started a few games.
6th Rounder - Korey Hall - Started at FB.
6th Rounder - Mason Crosby - Kicker
6th Rounder - Desmond Bishop - Backup LB.
7th Rounder - Deshawn Wynn - Played ok though I admit I'm not to high on him.

We can actually look at this years draft and expect that the Packers will draft a few players who will contribute to the team in some sort of significant way.

The Talent is better and the depth is better. Though I hardly think TT is underrated any longer. I think he'll start seeing respect around the league.

gopackgo4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah its interesting... I wonder where all you ted haters are now, hell one year ago you guys were calling for his head(not everbody but many) and now its all praise. I would like to say i was with him all along and never doubted him.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I was actually thinking about the job he done in 3 years and mainly about the draft.

Off the top of my head

1st Rounder - Aaron Rodgers - He eventually will be the starting QB for the Packers one way or another. Just a matter of when.

2nd Rounder - Daryn Colledge - For the better or worse he's been the starting guard.
2nd Rounder - Greg Jennings - Starting receiver and dare I say one of the biggest playmakers in the NFC right now.

1st Rounder - Justin Harrell - Ended up playing quite a few snaps late in the year. Although the jury is still out.
2nd Rounder - Brandon Jackson - Backup RB and played well in the divisional playoffs.

We can actually look at this years draft and expect that the Packers will draft a few players who will contribute to the team in some sort of significant way.

The Talent is better and the depth is better. Though I hardly think TT is underrated any longer. I think he'll start seeing respect around the league.

Thanks.

Buckeyepackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah its interesting... I wonder where all you ted haters are now, hell one year ago you guys were calling for his head(not everbody but many) and now its all praise. I would like to say i was with him all along and never doubted him.

They are hiding out with all the Brett haters, hoping something goes a little wrong so they can re-appear and have another day.

Doesn't take much, there were plenty on this forum wanting Brett's retirement after the Giant game, so 14-4 will not be good enough for some next year unless the last 3 wins come in the playoffs.

I can never understand anyone who judges someone before they have had a chance to do their job, and even if it turns out they know what they are doing it still doesn't matter.

Cal2GreenBay

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Off the top of my head

Plus TT drafted Terence Murphy in the 2005 draft. He was also going to be a productive starting WR until his injury.

Cal2GreenBay

Cheesehead
Reaction score
gopackgo4 said:

They are hiding out with all the Brett haters, hoping something goes a little wrong so they can re-appear and have another day.

Doesn't take much, there were plenty on this forum wanting Brett's retirement after the Giant game, so 14-4 will not be good enough for some next year unless the last 3 wins come in the playoffs.

I can never understand anyone who judges someone before they have had a chance to do their job, and even if it turns out they know what they are doing it still doesn't matter.

I don't think Favre haters and Ted haters were the same thing.

And yes it's funny when people were calling for TT's head as early as September on this thread. So funny.

dhpackr

Cheesehead
Reaction score

you should be pinned with a metal.

Reaction score
An article yesterday made a very good point about Ted: in his tenure he has been very cautious of not doing a deal with a player that threw the market out of whack.

He's (re)signed Driver, Kampman, Taush, Al Harris, Pickett to some unbelievably fair deals.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Can we just forget about it? Their were those who wanted TT out, and their were those that didn't. Everybody wanted the best for the team. don't dig up old ****, please.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
bozz_2006 said:

Can we just forget about it? Their were those who wanted TT out, and their were those that didn't. Everybody wanted the best for the team. don't dig up old ****, please.

Agreed.

I don't want to see this happen again.

Besides, people change their opinions. If anyone has the same opinions they had ten years ago about everything, then I seriously wonder if they have anything upstairs.

People change. People grow. People learn. People make mistakes. People say things they later regret. It's part of being human.

Cal2GreenBay

Cheesehead
Reaction score
bozz_2006 said:
gopackgo4 said:

Agreed.

I don't want to see this happen again.

Besides, people change their opinions. If anyone has the same opinions they had ten years ago about everything, then I seriously wonder if they have anything upstairs.

People change. People grow. People learn. People make mistakes. People say things they later regret. It's part of being human.

Ummmm....

Why do people take things so personally in this forum? BOZZ?
Is it an age difference thing?

Go to like styleforum.net. Guys are in their 20s..Some of the posters in packerforum would get into internet fights w/some of the abrasive sarcasm over there. And people don't trip over it at all. It's all in good fun.

But people in HERE just say one thing different and everyone's like "enough already..I've had it".

GUYS...Take a Breath...

THIS IS AN INTERNET FORUM.

It's NOT REAL LIFE.

It's crazy to take things to heart so much.

People can speak how they want to and say what they want..it's a forum right?

I'm not even taking any side on this.

I'm just taken aback sometimes about how people try to bully the conversation along.

If you don't like what others say..then don't reply or don't read that thread. Simple right?

p.s. People change...yet when we try to get the Favre faithful to think about change...and we get our arms bitten off for trying. Irony.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts