with playoffs almost a lock, should we sit some starters?

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No. The #2 seed is not wrapped up. Seattle is only two games behind the Packers with four to play. And there is a chance that the Cowboys will slip and lose a couple games, opening the door to the #1 seed. Plus the starters need to get as much work together as possible during real games so they will be more ready for the playoffs.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
never sit. always go. plenty of time to rest in the offseason. work hard in the regular season up until the last game.... then rest with a first round bye.

never understood resting players unless your up by 21 points.

Buckeyepackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
From my name you can tell I am from Ohio, 3 weeks ago after Ohio State got beat by Illinois, no-one around here thought The Buckeyes would be playing in the BCS Championshio Game, but the season was played out and look what happened.

I'm not here to gloat about that, I am with the majority of peiople who thinks there should be a play-off in College Football.

The point I'm trying to make is that we need to keep playing like That #1 spot is still available, now in 2 weeks if we have #2 locked up and #1 is out of reach, then I say we protect our starters and get ready for the play-offs.

de_real_deal

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Once we have a first round bye locked up and we have no chance of overtaking the cowboys for #1 seed. We should rest some banged up defensive players and offensive lineman. The skill position players need to play at least half a game to stay sharp regardless in my opinion.

Buckeyepackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
de_real_deal said:
Once we have a first round bye locked up and we have no chance of overtaking the cowboys for #1 seed. We should rest some banged up defensive players and offensive lineman. The skill position players need to play at least half a game to stay sharp regardless in my opinion.

Good point, remember when Denver came to Lambeau a couple of years ago and sat most of their starters, I forget who it they played, but they got ripped in the first rnd of the play-offs.

Woodson21

Cheesehead
Reaction score
nope not even, we have to keep winning games, i believe seattle and tampa are right behind us. we need that first round bye.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Re: with playoffs almost a lock, should we sit some starters

Greg C. said:
No. The #2 seed is not wrapped up. Seattle is only two games behind the Packers with four to play. And there is a chance that the Cowboys will slip and lose a couple games, opening the door to the #1 seed. Plus the starters need to get as much work together as possible during real games so they will be more ready for the playoffs.

We won't get the #1 seed. It's not because of us, it's because the Cows lose at the most one game.

But #2 is VERY important. #2 gives us a first round bye. A first round bye rests our starters.

IronMan

Cheesehead
Reaction score

nope not even, we have to keep winning games, i believe seattle and tampa are right behind us. we need that first round bye.

agopackgo4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would say keep playing the starters. We gotta keep pushing. Not only for one of the top spots, but also making sure that we keep our starters fresh. We wouldn't want to come out flat for the playoffs because our guys were not used to playing in games.

Danreb

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's been years since we had a first round bye. We gotta lock that up first and foremost.

Then we can lose out for all I care. That earns you higher draft status if we don't win the Super Bowl.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score

It's been years since we had a first round bye. We gotta lock that up first and foremost.

Then we can lose out for all I care. That earns you higher draft status if we don't win the Super Bowl.

Agreed.

We get a first round bye, our starters can rest.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score

(was that the year we got in the playoffs and it didnt matter cuz we were so banged up then got destroyed?)

(but hey...playoff appearance... )

PWT36

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In 2002 the Packers went into the last game of the season at 12-3. and lost big time to NY Jets 42-17. That loss to Jets caused the Packers lose a bye and lost home field advantage through out the playoff. They lost Falcons in the first playoff game in Green Bay 27-7.

The Packer signed three big name free agents the off season of 2002. defensive end Joe Johnson, Wide receiver Terry Glenn, and linebacker Hardy Nikerson . None of the three produced as they had in their prime , although Glenn was second in receiving yards with 817 .

During the 2002 season the Packers injury list grew,. The offensive and defensive line was hard hit. Packer offensive Tackle Mark Tauscher had MCL in Game 2. Defensive end Joe Johnson had torn tricep in game 5 and offensive tackle Chad Clifton had pelvis injury in game 11 and were lost for the season. Some players like Defensie end Vonnie Holiday who had torn pectorial muscle and knee injury, and Marco Rivera had injuries to both knees.

Even Quarterback Brett Favre had a sprained collateral lateral ligament in a game with the Redskins before the bye week in 7th game of the season. Favre was able to come back after the bye week and start against Miami Dolphins. Packer beat the Dolphins 24-10.

RainX

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, 2002 was a rough year as far as the injury bug goes, although 2005 was definitely just as bad if not worse.

Only way I'd rest starters is if we have nothing to play for. I think 12 wins is going to be good enough to get that bye, but let's worry about wrapping up the division first this week against Oakland.

Tiger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Playoffs are all about momentum, you wont see the Pats easing up so why should the Pack?

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Yeah, 2002 was a rough year as far as the injury bug goes, although 2005 was definitely just as bad if not worse.

Only way I'd rest starters is if we have nothing to play for. I think 12 wins is going to be good enough to get that bye, but let's worry about wrapping up the division first this week against Oakland.

2005 was worse.
#1, #3, #4 WR out for the season
#1, #2, #3 RB out for the season
#1 TE out for the season

That's what I remember off the top of my head. There were others too.

Danreb

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah but in 2002 all the injuries happened right before the playoffs.

Pennington torched the hell out of us man. We should've gotten a bye that year.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers definitely want that #2 seed. That's one extra game they have to play to get to the Super Bowl.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score

The Packers definitely want that #2 seed. That's one extra game they have to play to get to the Super Bowl.

And probably most importantly one extra game of potential injuries.

I guarantee MM won't be resting starters unless:
1) we have #2 locked,
2) we have a huge lead that there's no way they could come back

Gattocheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I would only rest the starters if they are injured and they can further injure themselves by playing. We need EVERYONE healthy for the playoffs. So if Woodson needs another week or two to rest, so be it. But still play everyone will all guns ablazing.

Members online

Latest posts